Blue Plate Catering

Updated September 18, 2014
Updated September 18, 2014
3.3

Jim Horan

It was very pleasant to see and try something exciting.

Former Employee - Sou Chef in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Sou Chef in Chicago, IL

I worked at Blue Plate Catering part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Always best to learn different techniques, try different foods, sightseeing, and meeting new people.

Cons

I really could not conquer the concept of pouring the sauce in a tidy timely matter.

Informative and enjoyed the work and staff.

I worked at Blue Plate Catering

Pros

Amazing catering company. Would recommend their services to friends and family. Most of staff was patiet, understanding, and welcoming. Definitely able to get the job done!

Cons

Management allows others to dictate the staff in which they are responsible for and with that being said, the scheduling manager is unreasonable and make the work environment unpleasant with strong-arm attitude.

The culture here has changed negatively.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Blue Plate Catering part-time (less than an year)

Pros

At first, the culture of the company was very welcoming and they trained me well so I knew what I had to do on a daily basis. Food is great and on occasion, we are able to eat during a break period. I have been able to see some amazing locations and have seen some beautiful weddings.

Cons

Hours are terrible during the winter season. Although they had promoted me quickly, they barely trained me in regards to setting-up and some supervisors find it hard to believe that I would be unaware of how to set-up certain things. The person who does the scheduling plays favorites and will not schedule you during reasonable hours even if you had let them know that you would be unavailable during those times.

Blue Plate used to have a friendly environment to work at. However, it now seems as though there is a political nature to everything that happens within the organization. Paramount Catering has taken a lot of your workers and they have better earning potential than at Blue Plate.

Fun!

Current Employee - Event Supervisor in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Event Supervisor in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Blue Plate Catering full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Fun events. Great Pay. Amazing co-workers and very fun and friendly mgt team.

Cons

sometimes not enough hours and miscommunications!

Show all employees long term opportunity for growth and development.

Not a place to stay long time

Former Employee - Waiter in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Waiter in Chicago, IL

I worked at Blue Plate Catering

Pros

You will find nice coworkers willing you to teach you and help you out the way the company does things.
    They do have flexible hours, and they do not penalize you if you don't accept a shift.
    Very well organized event supervisors

Cons

No place to grow in the company, there is no mechanism or internal opportunities to fill for opening positions as sales person or event producer.
    Pretty much the have dead end positions.
    If you have work under other systems that have work even better and you want to proposed something, never it is heard. Not a good place to bring new ideas
    No bonuses
    They just give you 4 hours shifts week in advance not biweekly or month in advance like other places. Not enough hours.
    They never answer the phone.
    Most of the time they wont give you a break, bring your own lunch to eat after work
    In the rare occasion they give you a break, they prefer to toss the leftover food to the garbage instead to give it to the employees.

Create a carrer within the company, Care for the reliable employees.
    If you already sold the food, is cooked and uneaten why not to feed the waiters, a little perk that goes the long run.

Current Employee - Server in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Server in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Blue Plate Catering

Pros

Flexible work schedule
    Ability to make a fair amount of money in tips
    Good social atmosphere
    Ability to move to different restaurant locations
    Serve important people in the city who spend a lot of money

Cons

Poor management
    Company going south
    Bad management decisions
    Doesn't care about employee satisfaction
    Doesn't seem to be thinking of future for the company
    Middle management is very weak

The upper management need to worry about rewarding competent middle management instead of losing them and hiring managers who don't know what they are doing and don't seem to care