Blue Rhino

Updated Jun 20, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Tod D. Brown

Nice upper management - Not so nice direct staff.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFair market salary and great benefits.

Cons30 minute lunch (which is unheard of in Corporate America...Hello). Snotty direct staff members who train you. Direct senior staff members who brag all day about how much they do and how many e-mails they have....blah blah blah. Also unprofessional language ALL DAY! I have never in my career heard folks talk (curse) like this in an office environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave everyone in the department know how to do everything and not have a staff member delegate work. That should come from a Director or Supervisor not a person who has been there and saying "do this and do that'.

Very little concern about employees. Get injured and they don't care. Your a number, not a person.

Seasonal Driver (Current Employee) Springfield, MA

ProsThree days on, four off but schedule is inconsistent.

ConsMoney doesn't compensate back breaking work for 13 or 14 hours. Most tractors are older and run poorly. If you finish run in 12 hours your expected to call for more stops. Was injured and management was irritated and never asked how I was feeling. Stated "Im not making money while your out".

Advice to Senior ManagementDrivers have feelings and family too. We are the backbone to this company. Hire some helpers for the drivers. So far very discouraged by lack of support from manager, was injured and he was not concerned for well being, only when my return date was. I work as hard as I can every day and never thanked for effort. Praise sometimes goes a long way

Ok company to work for but you'll end up having to deal with good ol boy atmosphere.

Delivery Driver (Former Employee) Kansas City, KS

ProsGood work out delivering propane grill tanks. Honest work.

ConsNo protection from upper management when dealing with bad customers. General public smoking near trucks filled with propane.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt was a great company to work for until Ferrellgas took over the Blue Rhino operations. Now you're just a number. Try to remember the employees that went above and beyond. And shed the good ol boy mentality.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company, but the parent company is pulling them down

Sales (Former Employee)

ProsThe people at Blue Rhino were phenomenal. The atmosphere was great and the work/life balance was very positive. Managers don't micro-manage, they allow you to do your job as you see fit so long as your are accomplishing your goals. Compensation and benefits were both strong as well.

ConsFerrellgas (the parent company) has been struggling for years. The two companies used to operate separately but now the strings are all pulled by Ferrellgas and Blue Rhino is paying the price and losing quality people.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep working hard for your people, they appreciate it. Blue Rhino is a winner, hopefully Ferrellgas will get it turned around.

Family-like, well-managed company that cares about its employees and customers.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Winston-Salem, NC

Pros-company has a professional but casual atmosphere.
    -management cares about employees and takes the time to create a good employee/manager relationship
    -big supporter of United Way and does a lot of work with the community.
    -employees are generally great to be around. Company isn't so large that you feel disconnected from others in the office

Cons- Winston Salem area is not too bad of a place to live. Probably not as excited for a younger person, but close enough to most anything.

Advice to Senior ManagementVery happy with management, president is great about connecting with employees and has great business knowledge. Continue to communicate with all levels of employees and be approachable.

Great place to work.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Winston-Salem, NC

ProsVery laid back atmosphere, people are friendly and helpful. Company is small enough to remain flexible, but big enough to be better structured than most small companies. Senior management is very competent. Open-door policy invites comments from all employees. Compensation is fair.

ConsMeetings can get a little heated (like at most companies). Compensation could be a bit more aggressive, but not too bad.

Advice to Senior ManagementI don't have any real advice. Leadership is doing a good job. Maybe make development and advancement tracks more clear.

If you can get beyond it, not a bad place to work

Truck Driver (Current Employee)

ProsI believe the company is solid, its the nature of working in the energy industry. Even in these economic conditions 2008 I feel secure with this petroleum based company. The company also purchases top notch equiptment for the drivers. The vehicles in my region are 2007 kenworths. The company also provides a decent uniform allowance to both seasonal and full time employees.

ConsThe company may be to big to address the needs of the consumers and vendors, which leads to lower employee morale. The central office often misses the urgency of the vendors / clients requests and the drivers wind up making excuses for or covering up for poor service.

Advice to Senior ManagementTalk to the people in the trenches about how the business being run.

What Happened

General Manager (Current Employee)

ProsAbility to run the business as you saw fit.

ConsLittle support and constant money crunches ruined a good job.

NOT A GOOD JOB

Delivery Driver (Current Employee)

ProsDecent Pay, great benefits, good co workers. Manager was cool. Decent bonuses.

ConsBack breaking work, long hours, too many stops per day, fire you if you back up and have an accident even though you have to backup about 20 times a day. Treated bad by store managers sometimes. Very high driver turn over. Seen 5 different drivers in only a years time.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to work on ways to take better care of your employees physically. Why do miller drivers get forklifts on their trucks when we are lifting 600 plus bottles a day with only our backs? I think cages should have been designed where they could be loaded with forklifts instead of by hand.

Worked for Blue Rhino? Contribute to the Community!