Blue Rhino Reviews

Tod D. Brown

1. Great company

Former Employee - Finance in Winston-Salem, NC
    Former Employee - Finance in Winston-Salem, NC

I worked at Blue Rhino full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Family-like environment, approachable management team and good work-life balance

Cons

Fairly small company so hard to advance

Very little concern about employees. Get injured and they don't care. Your a number, not a person.

Current Employee - Seasonal Driver in Springfield, MA
    Current Employee - Seasonal Driver in Springfield, MA

I have been working at Blue Rhino part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Three days on, four off but schedule is inconsistent.

Cons

Money doesn't compensate back breaking work for 13 or 14 hours. Most tractors are older and run poorly. If you finish run in 12 hours your expected to call for more stops. Was injured and management was irritated and never asked how I was feeling. Stated "Im not making money while your out".

Drivers have feelings and family too. We are the backbone to this company. Hire some helpers for the drivers. So far very discouraged by lack of support from manager, was injured and he was not concerned for well being, only when my return date was. I work as hard as I can every day and never thanked for effort. Praise sometimes goes a long way

3. Ok company to work for but you'll end up having to deal with good ol boy atmosphere.

Former Employee - Delivery Driver in Kansas City, KS
    Former Employee - Delivery Driver in Kansas City, KS

I worked at Blue Rhino full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good work out delivering propane grill tanks. Honest work.

Cons

No protection from upper management when dealing with bad customers. General public smoking near trucks filled with propane.

It was a great company to work for until Ferrellgas took over the Blue Rhino operations. Now you're just a number. Try to remember the employees that went above and beyond. And shed the good ol boy mentality.

Nice upper management - Not so nice direct staff.

I worked at Blue Rhino full-time

Pros

Fair market salary and great benefits.

Cons

30 minute lunch (which is unheard of in Corporate America...Hello). Snotty direct staff members who train you. Direct senior staff members who brag all day about how much they do and how many e-mails they have....blah blah blah. Also unprofessional language ALL DAY! I have never in my career heard folks talk (curse) like this in an office environment.

Have everyone in the department know how to do everything and not have a staff member delegate work. That should come from a Director or Supervisor not a person who has been there and saying "do this and do that'.

6. Great company, but the parent company is pulling them down

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at Blue Rhino full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The people at Blue Rhino were phenomenal. The atmosphere was great and the work/life balance was very positive. Managers don't micro-manage, they allow you to do your job as you see fit so long as your are accomplishing your goals. Compensation and benefits were both strong as well.

Cons

Ferrellgas (the parent company) has been struggling for years. The two companies used to operate separately but now the strings are all pulled by Ferrellgas and Blue Rhino is paying the price and losing quality people.

Keep working hard for your people, they appreciate it. Blue Rhino is a winner, hopefully Ferrellgas will get it turned around.

7. Family-like, well-managed company that cares about its employees and customers.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Winston-Salem, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Winston-Salem, NC

I worked at Blue Rhino

Pros

-company has a professional but casual atmosphere.
    -management cares about employees and takes the time to create a good employee/manager relationship
    -big supporter of United Way and does a lot of work with the community.
    -employees are generally great to be around. Company isn't so large that you feel disconnected from others in the office

Cons

- Winston Salem area is not too bad of a place to live. Probably not as excited for a younger person, but close enough to most anything.

Very happy with management, president is great about connecting with employees and has great business knowledge. Continue to communicate with all levels of employees and be approachable.

8. Great place to work.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Winston-Salem, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Winston-Salem, NC

I have been working at Blue Rhino

Pros

Very laid back atmosphere, people are friendly and helpful. Company is small enough to remain flexible, but big enough to be better structured than most small companies. Senior management is very competent. Open-door policy invites comments from all employees. Compensation is fair.

Cons

Meetings can get a little heated (like at most companies). Compensation could be a bit more aggressive, but not too bad.

I don't have any real advice. Leadership is doing a good job. Maybe make development and advancement tracks more clear.

9. If you can get beyond it, not a bad place to work

Current Employee - Truck Driver
    Current Employee - Truck Driver

I have been working at Blue Rhino

Pros

I believe the company is solid, its the nature of working in the energy industry. Even in these economic conditions 2008 I feel secure with this petroleum based company. The company also purchases top notch equiptment for the drivers. The vehicles in my region are 2007 kenworths. The company also provides a decent uniform allowance to both seasonal and full time employees.

Cons

The company may be to big to address the needs of the consumers and vendors, which leads to lower employee morale. The central office often misses the urgency of the vendors / clients requests and the drivers wind up making excuses for or covering up for poor service.

Talk to the people in the trenches about how the business being run.

10. What Happened

Current Employee - General Manager
    Current Employee - General Manager

I have been working at Blue Rhino

Pros

Ability to run the business as you saw fit.

Cons

Little support and constant money crunches ruined a good job.

11. NOT A GOOD JOB

Current Employee - Delivery Driver
    Current Employee - Delivery Driver

I have been working at Blue Rhino

Pros

Decent Pay, great benefits, good co workers. Manager was cool. Decent bonuses.

Cons

Back breaking work, long hours, too many stops per day, fire you if you back up and have an accident even though you have to backup about 20 times a day. Treated bad by store managers sometimes. Very high driver turn over. Seen 5 different drivers in only a years time.

Need to work on ways to take better care of your employees physically. Why do miller drivers get forklifts on their trucks when we are lifting 600 plus bottles a day with only our backs? I think cages should have been designed where they could be loaded with forklifts instead of by hand.