Blue Shield Of California

Blue Shield Of California Reviews

Updated Jul 25, 2014

Blue Shield Of California President & CEO Paul Markovich

Paul Markovich

Pros
  • Decent work life balance (be sure you set this expectation early - don't be reactive)(in 26 reviews)

• not-for-profit that is committed to its mission to make health care affordable(in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • There is no work/life balance, many people are essentially doing the jobs of two people(in 14 reviews)

• The upper management has no connection with the workers, decisions are made with no comprehension of the real world effects(in 15 reviews)

Some people can get away with everything, while others get "dinged" for the tiniest infraction

Registered Nurse (Current Employee) El Dorado, CA

ProsThe pay is decent, great cafeteria

ConsManagement does not live up to the values of the company. The spend a lot of time talking about them, and trying to increase their Great Place to Work survey scores (tied to bonuses), but do DO anything to actually make it a great place, or even a decent place to work. People are rewarded if they tell on their co-workers and management doesn't even bother to find out if what the person said is true or not. Managers are not leaders, they are mere babysitters. And, believe me, they treat their staff as just that; children. We are not adults who can make our own decisions and judgement calls.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet decent managers. Seriously, fire every single manager in MCS and start over! You would be so much better off. I don't know of a single manager in MCS that people respect or look up to.

Health Insurance Customer Service

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsIts a big family. Blue does offer a lot to employees to stay healthy. When you do well the rewards can be nice.

ConsAlways changes but thats expected in that type of environment. The beginning of the year and after a holiday when the call center has been closed the phones are very busy.

Competitive Pay, Great Benefits, & Growing Company!

Project Manager (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsAs many reviews that are posted here, it really all depends on what department you work in and who your boss and team leads are. I can say I am very happy in the department I'm in and the people that I get to work with. I don't want to disclose my identity so I won't go into details on what department but I will say I'm at the SF Beale location.

I have worked at other big Fortune 500 companies before and Blue Shield of CA is really trying hard to get things right and to become #1 and a great place to work. The company is about 5,000 employees so not to big but small enough to make a difference and to be noticed for your accomplishments.

Some benefits that should be pointed out:
    -You get healthcare coverage from day one
    -20 days paid vacation
    -pension after three years with the company
    -the ability to work from home at least one day a week if needed (depends on your manager)
    -discount on your medical insurance for being healthy
    -healthy cafe and gym on site including "WalkStations" on certain floors of the main office.

With new leadership, strategic plan, and a road map of where our product lines and what we plan to accomplish, I have faith that I will be at the company for a long time.

ConsWhile I have colleagues that have been here for 10+ years, I also have seen at least one person leave on their own behalf each month. Some people are not happy and the reality of a big company is that things sometimes move a bit slower since it's not a startup company. It's healthcare insurance!

The corporate chain of command is also very instilled in the BSC culture. You must follow the hierarchy of command versus just reaching out to someone. There is some favoritism in the group and that's just office politics at its best to climb the corporate ladder. Everyone seems to be a "project manager" including myself even though that was not the role I was originally hired for.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep your employees by:
    -engaging them with praise for their accomplishments
    -continue to have your all-hands meetings per quarter and listen to your employees
    -compensate the market rate salary for positions to get the best possible talent and don't rush to hire
    -invest in your employees through self-learning and promote from within before going outside

I chose to work for this company and wake up happy to go to work each morning because of it's mission statement and the work that I do to make the mission statement happen. I want to finish my career here and hope that management gets it together!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good

ProsAwesome with the people

ConsBlah with the parking

Advice to Senior ManagementGreat place

Six of one, half-dozen of the other......I will leave it to you to decide, but go in "eyes wide open".

ProsThe company really does try to do what is best for the member. We have been told we are striving to create a health plan we would want our family to belong to. Depending on the campus parking is provided and but the corporate office has no parking but is very close to public transit. They have a gym in many of the campuses and encourage healthy lifestyle but many departments do not practice work:life balance.....part of "healthy lifestyle." Company is big however small enough for an employee to make a difference. Depending on the department you are made to feel like you make a difference.

ConsAs someone else mentioned, the environment varies significantly based on the department.
    In fall 2013, it was announced the maximum amount of PTO that could be accrued was 240 hours and effective 4/1, if a person had more then the 240 hours, they would not accrue any more PTO until the employee was below the max. The people that had been around a long time or belonged to certain teams were really hit hard.
    Last year many departments were eliminated. In 2013 employees were told in March positions were going to be eliminated and they would know at the end of May or early June as to whether or not they might not have a job. Also due to high admin/labor cost they have eliminated many positions, and it appears a high percentage who have been eliminated are the staff accruing the most PTO and other benefits, very concerning for those of us who are still employed and have 10+ years. People just disappear, one day they are there the next day they are gone.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou stink, really really stink, when it comes to eliminating people, you leave the rest of us to experience a very high level uneasiness. You throw away good employees yet, hire the incompetent very confusing.

Old school company going through transformation

IT Technical Lead (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsStable and has lot of initiatives, Pension

ConsOld technology stack and HR practices

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue on the trend

Excellent opportunity to make an impact

Business Analysis Consultant Lead (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsA lot of Freedom to achieve goals

ConsManagement style. My manager micro manages yet is not around to see that the job has already been completed.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more active in day to day workings. Don't just show up for a 1 on 1

Unproductive time eats up your workday

Software Consultant (Former Employee)

ProsClose proximity to bart and restaurants

ConsIT department uses very old technology
    Lots of time wasted in unproductive discussions and emails.Expect more than 100 emails everyday.
    No food or snacks
    Very little career growth and no work life balance

Advice to Senior ManagementBuild better processes and clear some of the unproductive time

Slave Jobs

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsAn office in SanFrancisco Downtown

Cons24 X 7 work, no perks

Advice to Senior Managementthink about employees work-life-balance

Overall, Blue Shield of CA is good company to work for, though the culture may differ from department to department.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) El Dorado Hills, CA

ProsBSC tries to live its values, but the culture of each team and/or department can differ from one department to another, depending on the manager's leadership style. As with any company, some managers are better than others, in regards to the culture of their team and how well that team works together to produce an end result. BSC employees are encouraged to and rewarded for exemplifying a healthier lifestyle, in order to decrease the cost of their own health care.

ConsBSC is a large company of 5,000+ employees working at many sites throughout California. One statement does not fit all. Hence, the challenges of working at BSC will be different to the team you work for and your own circumstances.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagers need to do more towards team building - to produce an environment where everyone feels welcomed and motivated to continue giving their best. The focus on this does not happen as often as it should. Meet with you team members individually on a quarterly basis in regards to their goals and objectives. You'll get to know your team members better and will get a better sense of how to help them progress in their job. They will feel better... and so will you.

Worked for Blue Shield Of California? Contribute to the Community!