Blue Shield Of California

Blue Shield Of California Reviews

Updated Apr 14, 2014

Blue Shield Of California President & CEO Paul Markovich

Paul Markovich

Pros:
  • "Onsite gym, great cafe, good work life balance if you work for the right person"
    in 23 reviews
  • "The mission of the organization is commendable and the commitment to affordable health care is sincere"
    in 16 reviews
Cons:
  • "There is no work/life balance, many people are essentially doing the jobs of two people"
    in 13 reviews
  • "Senior management seems to never be on the same page; high silo environment"
    in 14 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Has been hit or miss for years

San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Blue Shield Of California full-time for more than 8 years

ProsWell compensated; starting develop a culture

ConsSenior management seems to never be on the same page; high silo environment

If you have other job offers... odds are anything is better than this

Senior Project Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Blue Shield Of California full-time for more than a year

ProsIn the department I work in, having a peen will get you far, the career advancement knows no limits. Infact, the more incompetent you are, if you like the sound of your own voice talking, the better you can pass the buck, the more swiftly you can descope your work; the higher up the position you can hope to achieve. It's ok if you don't know details, what matters is that you can spin. Spin it and soar among the stars--don't worry some worthless minion will carry out the work.

ConsWorking overtime is expected, not appreciated.
Worst experience of office politics & good ole boys club (the only company worst them them in my experience, was sued for countless sexual harassment charges).
Innovation is more of an idea, not a goal to really strive towards.

Advice to Senior ManagementHighly recommend getting some...mgmt :) I constantly hear from people who have been @ BSC 10,15,20,25,30yrs justifying it is as dysfunctional as other companies. I'd disagree having worked in the real world, sure everyone is a little dysfunctional. But BSC's so called "senior mgmt" are former lower level workers that grew up from the trenches. They don't know anything but their dysfunctional ways, lack of ideas, lack of change.

Sure making your way up from the bottom provides an illusion of career advancement, but if you look closely at the "type" of person who survived that climb-- I assure you they are no one you would want to model yourself after. If the entire Director level was wiped out-- the company might have a chance. There are lots of people in management here, but zero leaders.

Blue Shield - a corporate environment

Report Processor (Former Employee)
El Dorado Hills, CA

I worked at Blue Shield Of California full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe facility is modern and comfortable. Computers are up to date and supported by a great IT support staff. Hours are somewhat flexible. Benefits are moderately adequate.

ConsThere are too many layers of management. The management focuses too much on production, rather than work process improvement and quality.

Advice to Senior ManagementA group of employees do not need a Team Lead, Supervisor, and Manager. The managers spend too much time reporting numbers.

probably unstable for the next 1-2 years until the re-org settles

Business Systems Analyst (Current Employee)
San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Blue Shield Of California full-time for more than 5 years

Prosflexible, room to grow w/ opportunities within the company

Consgoing through re-org, unstable, new leadership all trying to do their own thing and prove themselves

This is becoming a better place to work, but it is far from great.

Senior IT Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Blue Shield Of California full-time for more than 10 years

ProsCompetitive compensation, at least as far as salary is concerned. There are positive movements in employee programs as well as senior leadership competency. Culture-wise, the company has doubled down and feels like it is serious about improving how people feel about working here. Company participates in a well-funded traditional pension plan that is available to new hires that vest after 3 years.

ConsExtended periods of high change lead to fatigue and no clear line of sight to objectives. It is common for a team to change intra-year, invalidating performance objectives and making it difficult to show success. Largest programs have sucked all of the oxygen, talent and money out of the rest of the company. No equity upside, benefits are expensive even if you participate in mandatory wellness programs.

Advice to Senior ManagementIn general, I am satisfied working here. This is a good company with a good mission. The director level has a serious lack of people with true leadership experience; promotions in the past have been based mostly on tenure and/or being part of the right cadre of people who were pushed into even more senior leadership positions. Continue to focus on jr. executive competencies like leadership and getting to know their people and the business. We have just started making progress on the existing programs, so please for the love of god do not change them yet again.

Great place to work with great team engagment

Intermediate Claims Processor (Current Employee)
Redding, CA

I have been working at Blue Shield Of California full-time for more than a year

ProsClaims processors have flexible work schedules

Consin some departments there is not a lot of room for future growth as an employee

Slowly going down the drain

ProsOnsite gym, great cafe, good work life balance if you work for the right person. You get to work with some really great people.

ConsToo many managers. Unethical, greedy, backstabbing and political manager. You can't trust anyone here at all. Money is basically thrown down the drain as the layoffs continue. Laying off entire teams who do a specific job and then wonder why things aren't getting done. Also "allowing" people to reapply to their "old" job at a lower wage. Senior management with a few exceptions are a joke. There is no direction, the "transparency" is a crock. This is one of the most inefficient companies I've ever worked at.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop promoting people who are not "people managers", try giving them a raise. We do not need 700+ managers! Have an overall review of what people really do, not just what their director thinks they do before you lay them off.

Depressing and unrewarding. Little to no promotion from within. Careers go here to die.

IT Analyst (Current Employee)
San Francisco, CA

ProsGood pay. Good work life balance.

ConsLittle to no chance of advancement. In the time I have been there I have seen only a couple occasions where internal people were promoted to management positions. There are some really good, strong people at Blue Shield. Management doesn't seem to see it. Lots of talk about making it a great place to work but management in IT seems to do it because they have to not because the believe it.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook inside when it comes time to hire new managers.

Don't believe the hype

Decline (Current Employee)
San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Blue Shield Of California full-time for more than 3 years

ProsA few managers allow telecommuting
High paying jobs
Good location for bart commuting
Doesn't require you to be ethical and/or honest

ConsPolitics rule! More important than company mission!
Productivity is severely hampered by: constant worry about lay offs, not getting on someone's bad side, playing the blame game,
Terrible employee engagement scores on our psychological well being - but now that our bonus is tied to our engagement score - that will get the scores up and who cares about the truth (see pros)

Advice to Senior ManagementNew CEO get your head out of the clouds - you've extended blind trust to your leadership team, not smart trust. Its a mess in the trenches & you don't know or don't care.

Wonderful company

Project Analyst (Former Employee)

I worked at Blue Shield Of California for more than a year

ProsGrowing, expansive, dynamic hard not to grow within the company if you network

ConsYou are one of hundreds of employees

Worked for Blue Shield Of California? Contribute to the Community!

Blue Shield Of California Videos

Blue Shield Of California – Why Work for Us?

Transformation is the Opportunity   We're looking for professionals who will help us shape the future of health care, making it more accessible, affordable and easy to use. We are a leader in the industry and plan to… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Blue Shield Of California reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Blue Shield Of California CEO Paul Markovich. All 223 reviews posted anonymously by Blue Shield Of California employees.