Blue Shield Of California Reviews

Reset
2.6
Blue Shield Of California President & CEO Paul Markovich
Paul Markovich

Pros
  • Decent work life balance (be sure you set this expectation early - don't be reactive) (in 29 reviews)

• Good benefits but a little expensive (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • no work life balance and always pushing for more work (in 18 reviews)

• Constantly reorganizing; upper management has no clear vision for the future (in 15 reviews)

1. I thought it was fine working there

Current Employee - Solutions Architect in El Dorado Hills, CA
    Current Employee - Solutions Architect in El Dorado Hills, CA

I have been working at Blue Shield Of California

Pros

I was able to work on the Affordable Care Act

Cons

It seems many people do care for the mission of the company. They instead worry about petty things

Advice to Management

Listen and encourage new ideas. I found it difficult to introduce a new technology that was free and would have the company millions of dollars

Disillusioned

Current Employee - Business Analyst in El Dorado Hills, CA
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in El Dorado Hills, CA

I have been working at Blue Shield Of California full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

There are good people that work at Blue Shield, just like anyplace. Many believe in the company's stated mission to provide affordable health care access to all Californians and to provide service "worthy of our families and friends". These are the people in the trenches - the ones who do the hard work - working with customers, dealing with issues and solving problems.

Cons

Recent developments have shown that the company's mission and its claimed role as a not-for-profit have little to do with reality. The State of California recently revoked Blue Shield's tax exempt status as a not-for-profit. A former senior leader, turned whistle-blower suggested the company behaves more like a for profit and should pay taxpayers back the estimated $10 billion the company is worth. This is borne out by the reality of the huge bonuses and salaries collected by senior management. How "mission driven" can an executive be when he or she stands to collect hundreds of thousands in bonus money tied to secretive goals? Blue Shield, like most insurance companies, has benefited greatly from Obama-care, and is making a lot of money. Blue Shield is proof it doesn't take a lot of skill to make money in health insurance in this environment. Yet despite this windfall it continues to throw away money on failed projects - spending a fortune on an eight year long (and counting) system conversion that should have cost less than half that. Blue Shield is a gold mine for consulting companies. Yet the company continues to preach to its employees about the "mission".

Advice to Management

If you want to wear the mantle of a not-for-profit and live up to your hype, show the public you mean it by cutting those salaries and bonuses. Sell the luxury box you bought at Levi Stadium. Stop pouring money ($9.5 million spent to defeat prop 45) into politics. Develop some competence in how you spend money. Yes, you have a foundation that gives money away to good causes - good for you. But so do a lot of companies. It is obscene when there are families without health benefits while your executives are reaping huge rewards - especially when their performance does not warrant it. Take care of the workers who actually serve your customers. Bite the bullet and live up to your mission.

Lead Financial Analyst

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Dorado Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Dorado Hills, CA

I worked at Blue Shield Of California full-time

Pros

Large company with many transfer and promotion opportunities. Great salaries.

Cons

Leadership was divisive with too much time spent on political wins and power grabs as opposed to member-focused value-add work. Employee health benefits are a joke, especially given the nature of the company.

Advice to Management

Break down the silos and create a more collaborative culture starting with the tone at the top.

An oudated company working hard to modernize itself

Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in El Dorado Hills, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in El Dorado Hills, CA

I have been working at Blue Shield Of California full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Relaxed atmosphere, casual work hours (not much overtime demanded, if any), cafeteria, nice surrounding location

Cons

Small open cubes, constant management changes, unclear vision and plan

Overall a great company

Former Employee - Clinical Support Coordinator in El Dorado Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Clinical Support Coordinator in El Dorado Hills, CA

I worked at Blue Shield Of California full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They really push health & wellness. The people are very friendly (co-workers)

Cons

there are some mgmt with power trips and it makes you feel like you have to constantly watch your back. you feel like you need to watch your back. Favoritism

Advice to Management

stop nitpicking and making employees feel like if they mess up, they are OUT. Be more open to employees ideas.

Working as contract temporary.

Current Contractor - Customer Service Representative in El Dorado Hills, CA
    Current Contractor - Customer Service Representative in El Dorado Hills, CA

I have been working at Blue Shield Of California as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Working there is nice, lots of fun people. The cafe in the middle of the building is the highlight, lots of food, great quality, good price. The salad bar is great.

Cons

The parking lot and parking sucks. It's impossible to leave for lunch unless it's fast food because you have to walk far to your car then drive somewhere and back in thirty minutes...?

Advice to Management

Give your temps and contract to hire people more info. It feels like everyone is secretive and hush hush about when or how many people will be hired on.

Blue Shield was the worst place I have ever worked at.

Former Employee - Business Analyst in El Dorado Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in El Dorado Hills, CA

I worked at Blue Shield Of California full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The Cafe and masseuse that would come on site every few weeks. The benefits were OK.

Cons

The biggest challenge for me was poor management. The director I reported to was a bottleneck that prevented needed change from occurring. She would change her mind almost daily about her expectations. She said she wanted to make our business unit run better and more efficiency and sabotaged any attempt her employees made at doing so. This company had also been working on a system conversion for ten plus years. There is no reason for any company to take this long to modernize.

Advice to Management

Ger rid of management who are bottle necks to the process and refuse to change. Also value the employees that have been loyal to the company.

Non-profit that tolerates ongoing inefficiency and sets annual bonus thresholds

Current Employee - Director in El Dorado Hills, CA
    Current Employee - Director in El Dorado Hills, CA

I have been working at Blue Shield Of California full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Salaries, bonuses and benefits are above average. Excellent corporate mission statement - their corporate heart is in the right place. Forward thinking executive team that sincerely strives to create a great place to work environment.

Cons

IT continues to be plagued with incompetent leadership. Highly charged political environment where political savvy trumps performance and under-performing directors routinely eliminate over-achievers who pose a threat or dare to tell the truth.

Advice to Management

It shouldn't cost nearly $2 billion dollars (excluding software & licenses) to implementation a packaged claim payment system and migrate a couple million members. This program started nearly a decade ago and barely half our membership is on the new solution. If this was a public company, shareholders would not tolerate this level of ongoing IT incompetence.

10. Management support wonderful and want you to be successful.

Former Employee - Anonymous in El Dorado Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous in El Dorado Hills, CA

I worked at Blue Shield Of California full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There is always room to grow and be successful and creative. Good benefits and management always supportive

Cons

Pay to start not the best.

Worst company I have ever worked for

Current Contractor - Billing Representative in El Dorado Hills, CA
    Current Contractor - Billing Representative in El Dorado Hills, CA

Pros

I have flex time which means I can come in as early as 6:30 every morning so I can get off by 3:00. Also, we are allowed to use headphones while working. I have got to watch several shows and movies while working which I never would have got to do at home which is great.

Cons

This company has the rudest people I have every worked with!!! From day one no one says good morning, excuse me, nothing its awful. Everyone hates their jobs and their life and it shows! Also, with this company being as big as it is they are so very unorganized. They also don't want you to be able to ask your lead questions when what your doing is new and all the instances are different. They expect after a certain amount of time you should understand how to proceed in every situation and to just do it. Also, when we have a new project nothing is forthcoming. Specifics that should be disclosed at the beginning of the assignment are not and to get any helpful answers you have to just keep asking, its like pulling teeth, one by one. They do not provide full and proper training but instead give some half butt one hour training on something that even the head of our department said should at least be a full day. And they wonder why things aren't getting done right and there are a lot of mistakes. Lastly, I wanted to mention that I applied for this position on their website and had an interview and was hired...but not as a full time employee like I thought I would be but a contract to hire employee which I agreed to because I know how contract positions typically work, after three months your in. What hope I did have was stomped when during training our supervisor told us that there were no open positions in our department therefore we would not be getting hired. I almost started crying! I passed up other permanent positions thinking that with the good pay I was receiving and the chance to get hired that this would be a good company to make a career but unfortunately I was wrong.

RSS Feed </> Embed