Blue Shield Of California

Updated November 3, 2014
2.9

Blue Shield Of California President & CEO Paul Markovich
Paul Markovich

Pros
  • Decent work life balance (be sure you set this expectation early - don't be reactive) (in 28 reviews)

• As with many large companies there are good benefits as well as some really good people (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • There is no work/life balance, many people are essentially doing the jobs of two people (in 16 reviews)

• Constantly reorganizing; upper management has no clear vision for the future (in 16 reviews)

More Highlights

50 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Management support wonderful and want you to be successful.

Former Employee - Anonymous in El Dorado Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous in El Dorado Hills, CA

I worked at Blue Shield Of California full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There is always room to grow and be successful and creative. Good benefits and management always supportive

Cons

Pay to start not the best.

BSC

Current Employee - Intermediate Business Analyst in El Dorado Hills, CA
    Current Employee - Intermediate Business Analyst in El Dorado Hills, CA

I have been working at Blue Shield Of California full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good company and competitive compensation

Cons

IT Department is incompetent and lacking in technological hardware for employees

Quit Micromanaging your employees and they'd be more productive.

Worst company I have ever worked for

Current Employee - Billing Representative in El Dorado Hills, CA
    Current Employee - Billing Representative in El Dorado Hills, CA

I have been working at Blue Shield Of California as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

I have flex time which means I can come in as early as 6:30 every morning so I can get off by 3:00. Also, we are allowed to use headphones while working. I have got to watch several shows and movies while working which I never would have got to do at home which is great.

Cons

This company has the rudest people I have every worked with!!! From day one no one says good morning, excuse me, nothing its awful. Everyone hates their jobs and their life and it shows! Also, with this company being as big as it is they are so very unorganized. They also don't want you to be able to ask your lead questions when what your doing is new and all the instances are different. They expect after a certain amount of time you should understand how to proceed in every situation and to just do it. Also, when we have a new project nothing is forthcoming. Specifics that should be disclosed at the beginning of the assignment are not and to get any helpful answers you have to just keep asking, its like pulling teeth, one by one. They do not provide full and proper training but instead give some half butt one hour training on something that even the head of our department said should at least be a full day. And they wonder why things aren't getting done right and there are a lot of mistakes. Lastly, I wanted to mention that I applied for this position on their website and had an interview and was hired...but not as a full time employee like I thought I would be but a contract to hire employee which I agreed to because I know how contract positions typically work, after three months your in. What hope I did have was stomped when during training our supervisor told us that there were no open positions in our department therefore we would not be getting hired. I almost started crying! I passed up other permanent positions thinking that with the good pay I was receiving and the chance to get hired that this would be a good company to make a career but unfortunately I was wrong.

Constantly racing to keep up with minimal communication and large backlogs. Male dominance.

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in El Dorado Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in El Dorado Hills, CA

I worked at Blue Shield Of California full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good staff people with experience and content knowledge.

Cons

Very little team collaboration, as managers tend to act as dictators, then wonder why they don't have independent thinkers. The system is very complex and requires maximum collaboration to be successful. Attempts to involve people in LEAN Quality processes have been done as a sham. Decisions are not delegated and input is not sought.

Train managers how to develop and coach a team based organization and rate their behavior on teamwork effectiveness. Managers need to learn how to utilize inclusive approaches to decision making. Some managers just need to be replaced because they have no sensitivity or concern for employees, especially toward women who can't join them on the tennis courts.

I would work there again if the position & team were right

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Dorado Hills, CA

I worked at Blue Shield Of California as a contractor (more than 5 years)

Pros

As with many large companies there are good benefits as well as some really good people. Job satisfaction for me was closely tied to the team that I was working with.

Cons

As with many large companies there is a lot of "process" and sometimes slow on progress of projects. There also seemed to be a lot of reorganizaion of leadership.

Love the people, hard to promote

Former Employee - Customer Service Lead in El Dorado Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Lead in El Dorado Hills, CA

I worked at Blue Shield Of California full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The people were great to work with. I loved those who were above and below me in the "chain of command".

Cons

The company's political views were sometimes contrary to my own. The "Naked Statues" felt like sexual harassment, although the company stated they were trying to make people understand the vulnerability of being uninsured.

Invest in development. Help people understand what it takes to advance in the company.

First the recession than Healthcare Reform

Current Employee - Appeals and Grievance Coordinator in El Dorado Hills, CA
    Current Employee - Appeals and Grievance Coordinator in El Dorado Hills, CA

I have been working at Blue Shield Of California full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great people and great hours.

Cons

BSC first began expecting too more work than was possible, so our error rate went up and audits were impossible to pass. Than with healthcare reform (the CEO promoted prior to 'retiring,' and leaving the workers with the burden-thanks Bruce!), the work load became much more difficult to manage as more employees were needed. The good news is that they are hiring and for the long-term faithful employees, this means a promotion (if you made the right contacts with the right people and you need to be in your 20's-30's to be considered).

Overall, they try to get it right for the most part. However, like any office it's not just the politics in the office that make the job difficult, it is the drive in the economy and industry. Be aware that the wages are below the market because it is a not for profit company and raises are 1-2% on average. The cost of healthcare isn't cheaper either, since it isn't a national brand or state employer. The company reserves millions for its charity work when it really should give that back to their employees.

Most of the people are great and made the job worthwhile each day!

Invest in your employees and don't promote the 20 year olds; they still have quite a bit of maturing to do.

A company full of robotic zombies

Former Employee - Analyst in El Dorado Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Analyst in El Dorado Hills, CA

I worked at Blue Shield Of California full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexible work hours
    Cafeteria
    Nice campus
    Good benefits

Cons

The worst work environment I have ever experienced. Too many old timers protecting their "turf".

I was recruited as part of a new team with specific project objectives. After I started I discovered a similar team had been let go, and management explained it was because they were not performing and a new skill set was being sought to deal with the issues. My VP was relatively new, and he had a vision for shaking things up in our department.

But he was the only one. From day one I was met with horrible comments and put downs, distrust and negativity from fellow staff. I came to this department full of ideas and a plan to achieve our objective and nobody wanted to listen or know. I was reminded by my co workers that the long time employees that were "let go" to make way for our new team was because they wanted to bring in "cheaper labor". I endured comments such as "you're lucky to be here you know, my friend was laid off to make way for you - she worked here 20 years" or "I guess they got you cheaper". My qualifications were compared to the past employees, I was given verbal dressing downs in front of 20 people by persons that had no business doing so, that I in no way reported to. When presenting my outlook and project plan to the team (as asked to by management) people would sneer and be disrespectful while I was talking. I have never met a bunch of such rude, jealous, crazy people in my life.

After a few months it was clear to me my workmates had zero passion or interest in what we were supposed to be doing. They were there for one reason only: a paycheck and pension. They went about their duties like the walking dead, did not care and were not shy about not caring.

To boot, in the interview process I was told I could telecommute 2-3 days per week. This was a big plus for me accepting this job, since the salary is nothing special. A month in I asked what the status of my laptop was, to be told - sorry we can't afford to buy any more laptops. This was a slap in the face, and I had to adjust my home life because they had reneged on their promise. Not good. Can't afford a laptop? Also not good.

It was soul destroying to come to a new job full of excitement and ideas only to be shot down at every turn. I really wanted to make a difference there, what a shame.

Get rid of the problem employees, and most of the long time ones. They are stuck in their ways and do not like fresh blood, especially fresh blood who want to make a difference. You talk about changing the culture but its just lip service. In this new era of healthcare, you're going to sink with these albatrosses on your backs.

Hire some new talent who really have a passion for your "critical few". Get rid of the paycheck moochers who think they are entitled.

Way too many chiefs

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Dorado Hills, CA

I worked at Blue Shield Of California full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The medical benefits and PTO are adequate. You are eligible for health benefits and vested in 401k on date of hire. The limit placed on company profits and involvement in community service is admirable.

Cons

The layers of management within the company seem to be endless. The organizational structure changes frequently. Dental benefits are poor. My manager provided me no negative feedback throughout the year until my annual review, then I was placed on performance plan and received no raise or bonus. The unknowns and ever changing Affordable Care Act related requirements and mandates makes project work challenging.

Hire an organizational consulting firm to assess the layers of management and make recommendation.

Blue Shield of California (BSC) is an excellent company to work for as a contractor.

Former Employee - Instructional Designer in El Dorado Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Instructional Designer in El Dorado Hills, CA

I worked at Blue Shield Of California as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

BSC includes contractors as if they are internal employees--part of the team. I've worked for companies where contractors are treated like second class citizens--BSC is not one of them.

Cons

It's a huge company, so sometimes you can get lost in the shuffle. Also, there are offices in multiple locations, so if you don't like travel, some of the jobs at BSC may not be for you.

Keep doing what you're doing regarding contractors.

Blue Shield Of California Photos