Blue Shield Of California

Updated September 16, 2014
2.9

Blue Shield Of California President & CEO Paul Markovich
Paul Markovich

Pros
  • Decent work life balance (be sure you set this expectation early - don't be reactive) (in 26 reviews)

• not-for-profit that is committed to its mission to make health care affordable (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • There is no work/life balance, many people are essentially doing the jobs of two people (in 14 reviews)

• The upper management has no connection with the workers, decisions are made with no comprehension of the real world effects (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

47 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Constantly racing to keep up with minimal communication and large backlogs. Male dominance.

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager  in  El Dorado Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in El Dorado Hills, CA

I worked at Blue Shield Of California full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good staff people with experience and content knowledge.

Cons

Very little team collaboration, as managers tend to act as dictators, then wonder why they don't have independent thinkers. The system is very complex and requires maximum collaboration to be successful. Attempts to involve people in LEAN Quality processes have been done as a sham. Decisions are not delegated and input is not sought.

Train managers how to develop and coach a team based organization and rate their behavior on teamwork effectiveness. Managers need to learn how to utilize inclusive approaches to decision making. Some managers just need to be replaced because they have no sensitivity or concern for employees, especially toward women who can't join them on the tennis courts.

I would work there again if the position & team were right

I worked at Blue Shield Of California as a contractor for more than 5 years

Pros

As with many large companies there are good benefits as well as some really good people. Job satisfaction for me was closely tied to the team that I was working with.

Cons

As with many large companies there is a lot of "process" and sometimes slow on progress of projects. There also seemed to be a lot of reorganizaion of leadership.

Love the people, hard to promote

Former Employee - Customer Service Lead  in  El Dorado Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Lead in El Dorado Hills, CA

I worked at Blue Shield Of California full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The people were great to work with. I loved those who were above and below me in the "chain of command".

Cons

The company's political views were sometimes contrary to my own. The "Naked Statues" felt like sexual harassment, although the company stated they were trying to make people understand the vulnerability of being uninsured.

Invest in development. Help people understand what it takes to advance in the company.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

First the recession than Healthcare Reform

Current Employee - Appeals and Grievance Coordinator  in  El Dorado Hills, CA
    Current Employee - Appeals and Grievance Coordinator in El Dorado Hills, CA

I have been working at Blue Shield Of California full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great people and great hours.

Cons

BSC first began expecting too more work than was possible, so our error rate went up and audits were impossible to pass. Than with healthcare reform (the CEO promoted prior to 'retiring,' and leaving the workers with the burden-thanks Bruce!), the work load became much more difficult to manage as more employees were needed. The good news is that they are hiring and for the long-term faithful employees, this means a promotion (if you made the right contacts with the right people and you need to be in your 20's-30's to be considered).

Overall, they try to get it right for the most part. However, like any office it's not just the politics in the office that make the job difficult, it is the drive in the economy and industry. Be aware that the wages are below the market because it is a not for profit company and raises are 1-2% on average. The cost of healthcare isn't cheaper either, since it isn't a national brand or state employer. The company reserves millions for its charity work when it really should give that back to their employees.

Most of the people are great and made the job worthwhile each day!

Invest in your employees and don't promote the 20 year olds; they still have quite a bit of maturing to do.

A company full of robotic zombies

Former Employee - Analyst  in  El Dorado Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Analyst in El Dorado Hills, CA

I worked at Blue Shield Of California full-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible work hours
    Cafeteria
    Nice campus
    Good benefits

Cons

The worst work environment I have ever experienced. Too many old timers protecting their "turf".

I was recruited as part of a new team with specific project objectives. After I started I discovered a similar team had been let go, and management explained it was because they were not performing and a new skill set was being sought to deal with the issues. My VP was relatively new, and he had a vision for shaking things up in our department.

But he was the only one. From day one I was met with horrible comments and put downs, distrust and negativity from fellow staff. I came to this department full of ideas and a plan to achieve our objective and nobody wanted to listen or know. I was reminded by my co workers that the long time employees that were "let go" to make way for our new team was because they wanted to bring in "cheaper labor". I endured comments such as "you're lucky to be here you know, my friend was laid off to make way for you - she worked here 20 years" or "I guess they got you cheaper". My qualifications were compared to the past employees, I was given verbal dressing downs in front of 20 people by persons that had no business doing so, that I in no way reported to. When presenting my outlook and project plan to the team (as asked to by management) people would sneer and be disrespectful while I was talking. I have never met a bunch of such rude, jealous, crazy people in my life.

After a few months it was clear to me my workmates had zero passion or interest in what we were supposed to be doing. They were there for one reason only: a paycheck and pension. They went about their duties like the walking dead, did not care and were not shy about not caring.

To boot, in the interview process I was told I could telecommute 2-3 days per week. This was a big plus for me accepting this job, since the salary is nothing special. A month in I asked what the status of my laptop was, to be told - sorry we can't afford to buy any more laptops. This was a slap in the face, and I had to adjust my home life because they had reneged on their promise. Not good. Can't afford a laptop? Also not good.

It was soul destroying to come to a new job full of excitement and ideas only to be shot down at every turn. I really wanted to make a difference there, what a shame.

Get rid of the problem employees, and most of the long time ones. They are stuck in their ways and do not like fresh blood, especially fresh blood who want to make a difference. You talk about changing the culture but its just lip service. In this new era of healthcare, you're going to sink with these albatrosses on your backs.

Hire some new talent who really have a passion for your "critical few". Get rid of the paycheck moochers who think they are entitled.

Way too many chiefs

I worked at Blue Shield Of California full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The medical benefits and PTO are adequate. You are eligible for health benefits and vested in 401k on date of hire. The limit placed on company profits and involvement in community service is admirable.

Cons

The layers of management within the company seem to be endless. The organizational structure changes frequently. Dental benefits are poor. My manager provided me no negative feedback throughout the year until my annual review, then I was placed on performance plan and received no raise or bonus. The unknowns and ever changing Affordable Care Act related requirements and mandates makes project work challenging.

Hire an organizational consulting firm to assess the layers of management and make recommendation.

Blue Shield of California (BSC) is an excellent company to work for as a contractor.

Former Employee - Instructional Designer  in  El Dorado Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Instructional Designer in El Dorado Hills, CA

I worked at Blue Shield Of California as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

BSC includes contractors as if they are internal employees--part of the team. I've worked for companies where contractors are treated like second class citizens--BSC is not one of them.

Cons

It's a huge company, so sometimes you can get lost in the shuffle. Also, there are offices in multiple locations, so if you don't like travel, some of the jobs at BSC may not be for you.

Keep doing what you're doing regarding contractors.

Overall, Blue Shield of CA is good company to work for, though the culture may differ from department to department.

I worked at Blue Shield Of California full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

BSC tries to live its values, but the culture of each team and/or department can differ from one department to another, depending on the manager's leadership style. As with any company, some managers are better than others, in regards to the culture of their team and how well that team works together to produce an end result. BSC employees are encouraged to and rewarded for exemplifying a healthier lifestyle, in order to decrease the cost of their own health care.

Cons

BSC is a large company of 5,000+ employees working at many sites throughout California. One statement does not fit all. Hence, the challenges of working at BSC will be different to the team you work for and your own circumstances.

Managers need to do more towards team building - to produce an environment where everyone feels welcomed and motivated to continue giving their best. The focus on this does not happen as often as it should. Meet with you team members individually on a quarterly basis in regards to their goals and objectives. You'll get to know your team members better and will get a better sense of how to help them progress in their job. They will feel better... and so will you.

My experience at Blue Shield

I worked at Blue Shield Of California full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I loved working with the people. Very friendly atmosphere. Very organized company

Cons

Sometimes took a while to get technology impemented

Listen to your people. When they are struggling with staffing issues, really understand the whole environment before making bad decisions.

Favoritism runs rampant

Current Employee - Current Employee  in  El Dorado Hills, CA
    Current Employee - Current Employee in El Dorado Hills, CA

I have been working at Blue Shield Of California full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good benefits but a little expensive. Flexible hours (depending on your manager). Generous PTO and tuition assistance program. Depending on who your manager is, you can either love it or hate it here.

Cons

Its all about who you know - not who is the best person for the job. I know some truly useless people who have been promoted to very well paid, cushy jobs. If the boss likes you, you can write your own career path. If not, you can count on your career in this company to be relegated to the same position and same pay forever. The old timers ie: long term employees, rule the roost here and they are so out of touch with modern business culture its sad. They really need to go through some sort of training to bring them in line with how it works these days.

The HR dept is completely unresponsive. Departmental budgets across the board have been slashed and resources to do your job properly are literally non existent. Staff turnover attests to these issues. Internal jobs posted disappear within a few days, we find out later they went to someone's buddy instead of the job really being open to the best person. Very discouraging. Got any new ideas you'd like to share with management? Forget it - unless you're on the "inside" social group, your ideas will be dismissed.

Value employees more and give them opportunity to grow. Stop slashing budgets - we make enough money to pay people properly. Stop playing favorites. Give the people "hungry" enough to better themselves and make a difference, a chance to do so.

Worked for Blue Shield Of California? Contribute to the Community!