Blue Shield Of California

Blue Shield Of California Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014

Blue Shield Of California President & CEO Paul Markovich

Paul Markovich

Pros
  • Decent work life balance (be sure you set this expectation early - don't be reactive)(in 25 reviews)

• not-for-profit that is committed to its mission to make health care affordable(in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • There is no work/life balance, many people are essentially doing the jobs of two people(in 14 reviews)

• Senior management seems to never be on the same page; high silo environment(in 14 reviews)

A very Solid Company

Ops Specialist (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsI' am a salary employee and my hours are very flexible. Also, I have a great manager who will always go to bat for her team. Compensation is ok, but our is very cumbersome.

ConsSlightly better pay, and a direct, and clear directions from upper mangement.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop micro managing.

Good place to work but work/life balance needs improvement

Senior QA Analyst (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsI like the casual attire.

ConsA lot of work load for one person

Consulting in IT department

Enterprise Systems Management Consultant (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsGood Location in San Francisco
    Not a huge company

ConsMoney wise the company tries to do with as little as possible

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep employees happy and try to do away with as much red tape as possible.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Love the people, hard to promote

Customer Service Lead (Former Employee) El Dorado Hills, CA

ProsThe people were great to work with. I loved those who were above and below me in the "chain of command".

ConsThe company's political views were sometimes contrary to my own. The "Naked Statues" felt like sexual harassment, although the company stated they were trying to make people understand the vulnerability of being uninsured.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in development. Help people understand what it takes to advance in the company.

Dysfunction Junction

Senior Product Marketing Manager (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsWork life balance, flexibility to work remotely, coworkers

ConsIt's an organizational mess...no or unclear direction from upper management, to processes oriented causes bottle necking and backlogging, to much work and not enough resources

Yesterday's Enterprise

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsBusiness teams genuinely care about the not-for-profit company's mission. Work hours our flexible, and much of the workforce is mobile.

ConsDo not confuse not-for-profit with charitable; Blue Shield of California sells insurance. In the Bay Area, flexible work space initiatives are obviously designed to shift the burden and cost of real estate to employees. Technology workers looking for new challenges should look elsewhere. Healthcare options are expensive and limited to plans offered by the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe open with your staff. They'll appreciate your honesty and respect your integrity.

More good than bad

Senior Web Developer (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsGreat benefits, great people (mostly), but old-school culture that feels very hierarchical.
    Telecommuting is a big plus.
    Recently they've really been trying to get up to speed on technology.

Cons1. The right people are frequently not included in discussions & their input is often not considered during decision making
    2. The wrong people keep getting promoted (partially because of item #1)
    3. There is a lot of favoritism
    4. There is a solid divider between management and individual performers. Not that managers don't talk to IP's, but when the rubber meets the road, they don't think of IP's as having useful input.
    5. Way behind on technology - they are still using MS Office 2007 and IE8

Advice to Senior ManagementBreak the "glass floor" to talk to the people under you about your decisions before making them. You forget how much knowledge and experience resides in individual performers.

Trying to conquer too much too quickly...

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat benefits and bonus program

ConsMorale within the organization was low due to large scale system implementation and over worked individuals. There is a lot of ropes you have to jump through in order to get your work done and in contact with the right individuals/key plays. The change management for the system implementation is severely lacking.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust your employees to do their jobs and provide them additional support for heavy workloads.

First the recession than Healthcare Reform

Appeals and Grievance Coordinator (Current Employee) El Dorado Hills, CA

ProsGreat people and great hours.

ConsBSC first began expecting too more work than was possible, so our error rate went up and audits were impossible to pass. Than with healthcare reform (the CEO promoted prior to 'retiring,' and leaving the workers with the burden-thanks Bruce!), the work load became much more difficult to manage as more employees were needed. The good news is that they are hiring and for the long-term faithful employees, this means a promotion (if you made the right contacts with the right people and you need to be in your 20's-30's to be considered).

Overall, they try to get it right for the most part. However, like any office it's not just the politics in the office that make the job difficult, it is the drive in the economy and industry. Be aware that the wages are below the market because it is a not for profit company and raises are 1-2% on average. The cost of healthcare isn't cheaper either, since it isn't a national brand or state employer. The company reserves millions for its charity work when it really should give that back to their employees.

Most of the people are great and made the job worthwhile each day!

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in your employees and don't promote the 20 year olds; they still have quite a bit of maturing to do.

Chaos

ProsSome people are friendly.

ConsThe company is trying to do too much too fast. Conflicting priorities is a HUGE understatement. Management is very inconsistent. The morale in my area is very negative--my boss does not know how to communicate, then punishes (and fires) direct reports for not mind-reading.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou unsuccessfully tried to cut some priorities...please try again. Morale will not improve with managers who manage by fear.

Worked for Blue Shield Of California? Contribute to the Community!