Blue Shield Of California

Blue Shield Of California Reviews

Updated Jul 8, 2014

Blue Shield Of California President & CEO Paul Markovich

Paul Markovich

Pros:
  • "Decent work life balance (be sure you set this expectation early - don't be reactive)"
    in 25 reviews
  • "The mission of the organization is commendable and the commitment to affordable health care is sincere"
    in 16 reviews
Cons:
  • "There is no work/life balance, many people are essentially doing the jobs of two people"
    in 14 reviews
  • "Senior management seems to never be on the same page; high silo environment"
    in 14 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Love the people, hard to promote

Customer Service Lead (Former Employee)
    El Dorado Hills, CA

ProsThe people were great to work with. I loved those who were above and below me in the "chain of command".

ConsThe company's political views were sometimes contrary to my own. The "Naked Statues" felt like sexual harassment, although the company stated they were trying to make people understand the vulnerability of being uninsured.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in development. Help people understand what it takes to advance in the company.

Trying to conquer too much too quickly...

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat benefits and bonus program

ConsMorale within the organization was low due to large scale system implementation and over worked individuals. There is a lot of ropes you have to jump through in order to get your work done and in contact with the right individuals/key plays. The change management for the system implementation is severely lacking.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust your employees to do their jobs and provide them additional support for heavy workloads.

First the recession than Healthcare Reform

Appeals and Grievance Coordinator (Current Employee)
    El Dorado Hills, CA

ProsGreat people and great hours.

ConsBSC first began expecting too more work than was possible, so our error rate went up and audits were impossible to pass. Than with healthcare reform (the CEO promoted prior to 'retiring,' and leaving the workers with the burden-thanks Bruce!), the work load became much more difficult to manage as more employees were needed. The good news is that they are hiring and for the long-term faithful employees, this means a promotion (if you made the right contacts with the right people and you need to be in your 20's-30's to be considered).

Overall, they try to get it right for the most part. However, like any office it's not just the politics in the office that make the job difficult, it is the drive in the economy and industry. Be aware that the wages are below the market because it is a not for profit company and raises are 1-2% on average. The cost of healthcare isn't cheaper either, since it isn't a national brand or state employer. The company reserves millions for its charity work when it really should give that back to their employees.

Most of the people are great and made the job worthwhile each day!

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in your employees and don't promote the 20 year olds; they still have quite a bit of maturing to do.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Yesterday's Enterprise

San Francisco, CA

ProsBusiness teams genuinely care about the not-for-profit company's mission. Work hours our flexible, and much of the workforce is mobile.

ConsDo not confuse not-for-profit with charitable; Blue Shield of California sells insurance. In the Bay Area, flexible work space initiatives are obviously designed to shift the burden and cost of real estate to employees. Technology workers looking for new challenges should look elsewhere. Healthcare options are expensive and limited to plans offered by the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe open with your staff. They'll appreciate your honesty and respect your integrity.

Way too many chiefs

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    El Dorado Hills, CA

ProsThe medical benefits and PTO are adequate. You are eligible for health benefits and vested in 401k on date of hire. The limit placed on company profits and involvement in community service is admirable.

ConsThe layers of management within the company seem to be endless. The organizational structure changes frequently. Dental benefits are poor. My manager provided me no negative feedback throughout the year until my annual review, then I was placed on performance plan and received no raise or bonus. The unknowns and ever changing Affordable Care Act related requirements and mandates makes project work challenging.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire an organizational consulting firm to assess the layers of management and make recommendation.

More good than bad

Senior Web Developer (Current Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsGreat benefits, great people (mostly), but old-school culture that feels very hierarchical.
    Telecommuting is a big plus.
    Recently they've really been trying to get up to speed on technology.

Cons1. The right people are frequently not included in discussions & their input is often not considered during decision making
    2. The wrong people keep getting promoted (partially because of item #1)
    3. There is a lot of favoritism
    4. There is a solid divider between management and individual performers. Not that managers don't talk to IP's, but when the rubber meets the road, they don't think of IP's as having useful input.
    5. Way behind on technology - they are still using MS Office 2007 and IE8

Advice to Senior ManagementBreak the "glass floor" to talk to the people under you about your decisions before making them. You forget how much knowledge and experience resides in individual performers.

Tough times with healthcare industry changes along with new company leadership

Senior Project Manager (Former Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

Pros- A good place you go to retire
    - Liberal PTO time (~160 hours per year)
    - Paid holidays (~11 days - typical days holidays)
    - Pension (vesting schedule of 3 years of service at the time of this posting)
    - Matching 401k $ with no vesting schedule - vest immediately
    - Relatively competitive salary plus performance bonus (comprised of both individual and company multipliers)
    - Decent work life balance (be sure you set this expectation early - don't be reactive)
    - A few really awesome leaders - this is not universal throughout the company

Cons- Historically, the company and the industry was stable. With new ACC law and with more consumer awareness of healthcare costs in general; there is not only an uphill financial battle to win, but a consumer centric experience win.
    - Company has been in state of constant organization changes with standard processes and procedure in a state of flux.
    - Individual accountability is light - it's more hierarchically based.
    - Challenges with "old" school mentality and attitude - "that's the way we've always done it, why would we change it?"
    - Customer Service and Online product offering are not symbiotic

Advice to Senior Management- Learn to prioritize work - really prioritize - not everything can be #1
    - Be best in class at your core competencies - payer portion and patient advocacy
    - Continue focusing on outcome oriented treatments
    - Continue cannibalizing membership from other payers
    - Continue with vertically integrating provider > payer > patient
    - Ensure that projects and programs are audited to measure if benefit was realized; adjust strategy accordingly

Smart management, growth opportunities, unique company

IT Analyst (Current Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsKnows what needs to be done and is doing it

ConsRelatively immature organization
    Alignment challenges with the business

Advice to Senior ManagementWhile a lot of work has gone into building and enhancing our culture, it remains difficult to see my career trajectory. Inadequate progress has been made in aligning skills and experience with job classifications and salaries. The problem is worst among the people at the bottom of the food chain (the majority).

Few complaints other than ok kind of company

Prosnice work-life balance, great benefits

Consnot much growth, laid back

Chaos

ProsSome people are friendly.

ConsThe company is trying to do too much too fast. Conflicting priorities is a HUGE understatement. Management is very inconsistent. The morale in my area is very negative--my boss does not know how to communicate, then punishes (and fires) direct reports for not mind-reading.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou unsuccessfully tried to cut some priorities...please try again. Morale will not improve with managers who manage by fear.

Worked for Blue Shield Of California? Contribute to the Community!

Blue Shield Of California Videos

Blue Shield Of California – Why Work for Us?

Transformation is the Opportunity   We're looking for professionals who will help us shape the future of health care, making it more accessible, affordable and easy to use. We are a leader in the industry and plan to… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Blue Shield Of California reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Blue Shield Of California CEO Paul Markovich. All 245 reviews posted anonymously by Blue Shield Of California employees.