Blue Shield Of California

Updated January 24, 2015
2.9

Blue Shield Of California President & CEO Paul Markovich
Paul Markovich

Pros
  • Decent work life balance (be sure you set this expectation early - don't be reactive) (in 29 reviews)

• As with many large companies there are good benefits as well as some really good people (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • There is no work/life balance, many people are essentially doing the jobs of two people (in 18 reviews)

• Senior management seems to never be on the same page; high silo environment (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

Management support wonderful and want you to be successful.

Former Employee - Anonymous in El Dorado Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous in El Dorado Hills, CA

I worked at Blue Shield Of California full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There is always room to grow and be successful and creative. Good benefits and management always supportive

Cons

Pay to start not the best.

BSC

Current Employee - Intermediate Business Analyst in El Dorado Hills, CA
    Current Employee - Intermediate Business Analyst in El Dorado Hills, CA

I have been working at Blue Shield Of California full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good company and competitive compensation

Cons

IT Department is incompetent and lacking in technological hardware for employees

Quit Micromanaging your employees and they'd be more productive.

Worst company I have ever worked for

Current Employee - Billing Representative in El Dorado Hills, CA
    Current Employee - Billing Representative in El Dorado Hills, CA

I have been working at Blue Shield Of California as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

I have flex time which means I can come in as early as 6:30 every morning so I can get off by 3:00. Also, we are allowed to use headphones while working. I have got to watch several shows and movies while working which I never would have got to do at home which is great.

Cons

This company has the rudest people I have every worked with!!! From day one no one says good morning, excuse me, nothing its awful. Everyone hates their jobs and their life and it shows! Also, with this company being as big as it is they are so very unorganized. They also don't want you to be able to ask your lead questions when what your doing is new and all the instances are different. They expect after a certain amount of time you should understand how to proceed in every situation and to just do it. Also, when we have a new project nothing is forthcoming. Specifics that should be disclosed at the beginning of the assignment are not and to get any helpful answers you have to just keep asking, its like pulling teeth, one by one. They do not provide full and proper training but instead give some half butt one hour training on something that even the head of our department said should at least be a full day. And they wonder why things aren't getting done right and there are a lot of mistakes. Lastly, I wanted to mention that I applied for this position on their website and had an interview and was hired...but not as a full time employee like I thought I would be but a contract to hire employee which I agreed to because I know how contract positions typically work, after three months your in. What hope I did have was stomped when during training our supervisor told us that there were no open positions in our department therefore we would not be getting hired. I almost started crying! I passed up other permanent positions thinking that with the good pay I was receiving and the chance to get hired that this would be a good company to make a career but unfortunately I was wrong.

Wonderful Experience

Former Employee - Commercial/Medicare Risk Adjustment in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Commercial/Medicare Risk Adjustment in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Blue Shield Of California as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

People are very very nice

Cons

Nothing that I know of

Check-in with the lower levels more!

It's just okay, and has the potential to be great

I have been working at Blue Shield Of California full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Not for profit/mission driven organization; "2% pledge" - returning profit/income in excess of 2% returned to customers or invested in Blue Shield's foundation; embraces health care reform
    - A variety of locations across the state, and generally, depending upon the role, there is flexibility about where your "home" office is
    - The organization is getting much more comfortable with telecommuting and managing work schedules more flexibly
    - If you're a self-starter, self-directed, you can get a lot done - not a lot of micro management
    - Organization is very comfortable outsourcing functions/capabilities - not a lot of ego and insistence that "we can build everything ourselves"
    - Good benefits, PTO, etc., and very progressive wellness programs/incentives; on site gyms, healthy foods available at the cafes, at a reasonable price; supports diversity in the workplace

Cons

- For all of its focus on its mission and getting Californians access to healthcare, there is not enough skilled leadership to steer this ship to achieving those objectives. With the executive team, there were a lot of changes throughout the organization. Having an all new leadership team managing business in a time of extraordinary change is certainly proving challenging. Pair that with an ill-defined culture and organizational norms - and you end up with group of people from the top to the bottom of the organization who don't always know how to work together
    - The strategy and planning process is chaotic, constantly changing and managed in a top down fashion. By the time people are bought into the strategy they've been served, the strategy/plan changes, and the team is expected to get on board as if the new plan was the plan all along. Senior leadership develops these strategies pretty much at the office level and above (with support from Big 5 consulting firms) - with generally little to no interactions with team members who are closest to the work
    - Because the organization doesn't have a predominant central location - relationship building is done primarily over the phone, negatively impacting the speed of relationship building that is necessary for a team to function optimally (and again, paired with the fledgling culture the company is trying to build, it's all the more trying)
    - Beginning in late 2012, throughout 2013, and to some extent in 2014, Blue Shield has gone through very profound organizational changes, especially in Sales, IT and HR. Regardless if these changes were good, bad, or neutral, given the immature leadership team and the chaotic strategy and planning process, people are justifiably nervous about their own job security - which proves distracting and manifests itself in defensiveness, CYA and managing up - none of which add value.

- Stabilize the organization and strategy - give people a chance to accomplish some things, and build on those accomplishments. Just because one part of the organization is struggling, doesn't mean you need to drop all the other work you're doing
    - Get better at the basics; innovate sparingly in the meantime. If a customer's claims aren't getting paid, or the phones aren't answered, they won't care if you have the coolest web site or mobile app
    - Focus on preventing problems, and not being good at fixing problems
    - Stop thinking you can automate every process as a means of driving cost out - until you know how to do those processes the right way, you have no business trying to automate them; start automation on an incremental basis - don't boil the ocean
    - Develop strategy in partnership with team members who are doing the work, and do so across functional teams

Constantly racing to keep up with minimal communication and large backlogs. Male dominance.

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in El Dorado Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in El Dorado Hills, CA

I worked at Blue Shield Of California full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good staff people with experience and content knowledge.

Cons

Very little team collaboration, as managers tend to act as dictators, then wonder why they don't have independent thinkers. The system is very complex and requires maximum collaboration to be successful. Attempts to involve people in LEAN Quality processes have been done as a sham. Decisions are not delegated and input is not sought.

Train managers how to develop and coach a team based organization and rate their behavior on teamwork effectiveness. Managers need to learn how to utilize inclusive approaches to decision making. Some managers just need to be replaced because they have no sensitivity or concern for employees, especially toward women who can't join them on the tennis courts.

Ethical, great health benefits, and interesting work

I have been working at Blue Shield Of California

Pros

good benefits and helpful higher management

Cons

the culture is very quiet and boring in the office

have some more team building strategies and encourage lunches with co-workers

A mess fit for a nightmare

I worked at Blue Shield Of California full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Free parking for all employees (even contractors!).

Cons

What a disaster of an organization!
    BSC operates in California but outsources its call centers to vendors in Arizona, Florida, Texas, Costa Rica, Dominican Republic, and the Philippines (three locations).
    The organization is mainly made up of call center employees who are almost entirely Hispanic or African American. The HQ in San Francisco's financial district is largely comprised of Caucasians. Walking through their call centers in California is an odd experience: Caucasians in management and high salary jobs on one side of an aisle and in offices and then on the other side of the aisle, Hispanics and African Americans doing the call center work. The hate by the latter for the former is palpable.

The organization has a culture of keeping people down, keeping people quiet, and keeping people from enjoying their work. Excessive oversight, micromanaging and ostracism are key tools used by management. Arrogance by management is excessive to the point of in your face as a matter of routine.

Paul Markovich, CEO, uses company employee forums to blast people outside BSC who complain that BSC's rates are too high, that BSC's services are inferior, and that the health insurance market in California is not sufficiently competitive. Markovich recently explained to employees that BSC's luxury box at the 49ers new stadium in Santa Clara was a perfectly defensible use of company funds even though millions of Californian's continue to lack health care insurance. Markovich also routinely sends out e-mails to employees imploring them to contribute to BSC political action committee and even goes so far as to recommend (based on an employee's position) specific amounts that employees give to the political action committee per pay period.

The organization routinely writes off hundreds of millions of dollars due to projects that are failures or run over budget wildly. The place is over run by armies of outside consultants and managers hide in their offices or "work from home" most of the time. Ineptitude is a trait that BSC places great value upon in managers. BSC is a gravy train if you will continually ingratiate yourself to management and be willing to essentially place your career on hold. BSC has little awareness of their customers, patients, and even less concern for their care. BSC is about money, power and ego.

Replace all management and the board of directors.

Went completely downhill in recent years. Most toxic environment I've ever worked in.

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Blue Shield Of California full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Pay is competitive, work-life balance depends on which group you work in. It's easy to take time off but only because management is unaware of what work is actually being done.

Cons

Upper management and directors are so far out of touch with reality and have zero interest in hearing the truth from employees. They solicit feedback but ignore any constructive criticism. People are treated like pawns. Constant re-organizations so your job is always at risk and/or changing. Employees actually CRY from stress on a regular basis here! I wish I were joking. It's an absolute mess. I have never seen so many people on the verge of having a nervous breakdown.

Stop worrying about advancing your own careers long enough to actually listen to the employees whose lives you impact. You're losing all your best people. STOP with the re-orgs. The answers do not live in a different organizational structure, they live within your employees who have been trying to tell you they are overworked, underappreciated for years.

Stop being so reactive and actually have a plan for once. You used to be a great place to work. Now I can't find a single colleague with anything positive to say about you. We are all just glad to be elsewhere. And you ousted some of the best leaders you had. I seriously have never seen such a backwards company.

"Anything is better than Shield" is a common term among former Blue Shield employees. That says alot.

Who you work for and with counts

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Blue Shield Of California full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Unlike some organizations, Blue Shield really does value its employees. But this is really only meaningful if your own management walks the talk. If not, alt least there are other opportunities within the company. Bad people are not exclusive to any organization and most organizations are ineffective at changing individual behavior unless it falls well to the outside of extreme.

Cons

Benefits continue to erode, as they do elsewhere.

We're a long way from silo busting and continuing to operate the business under a feudal system makes enterprise alignment challenging at the middle management level. We assign work based on abstract roles or titles rather than assessing and finding the right skillsets and expertise needed for best results.

Blue Shield Of California Photos