Blue Shield Of California

Updated September 19, 2014
2.9

Blue Shield Of California President & CEO Paul Markovich
Paul Markovich

Pros
  • Decent work life balance (be sure you set this expectation early - don't be reactive) (in 26 reviews)

• not-for-profit that is committed to its mission to make health care affordable (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • There is no work/life balance, many people are essentially doing the jobs of two people (in 14 reviews)

• The upper management has no connection with the workers, decisions are made with no comprehension of the real world effects (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

Dysfunction Junction

Current Employee - Senior Product Marketing Manager  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Product Marketing Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Blue Shield Of California full-time for more than a year

Pros

Work life balance, flexibility to work remotely, coworkers

Cons

It's an organizational mess...no or unclear direction from upper management, to processes oriented causes bottle necking and backlogging, to much work and not enough resources

Yesterday's Enterprise

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Blue Shield Of California full-time

Pros

Business teams genuinely care about the not-for-profit company's mission. Work hours our flexible, and much of the workforce is mobile.

Cons

Do not confuse not-for-profit with charitable; Blue Shield of California sells insurance. In the Bay Area, flexible work space initiatives are obviously designed to shift the burden and cost of real estate to employees. Technology workers looking for new challenges should look elsewhere. Healthcare options are expensive and limited to plans offered by the company.

Be open with your staff. They'll appreciate your honesty and respect your integrity.

More good than bad

Current Employee - Senior Web Developer  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Web Developer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Blue Shield Of California full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great benefits, great people (mostly), but old-school culture that feels very hierarchical.
    Telecommuting is a big plus.
    Recently they've really been trying to get up to speed on technology.

Cons

1. The right people are frequently not included in discussions & their input is often not considered during decision making
    2. The wrong people keep getting promoted (partially because of item #1)
    3. There is a lot of favoritism
    4. There is a solid divider between management and individual performers. Not that managers don't talk to IP's, but when the rubber meets the road, they don't think of IP's as having useful input.
    5. Way behind on technology - they are still using MS Office 2007 and IE8

Break the "glass floor" to talk to the people under you about your decisions before making them. You forget how much knowledge and experience resides in individual performers.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Trying to conquer too much too quickly...

I worked at Blue Shield Of California full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great benefits and bonus program

Cons

Morale within the organization was low due to large scale system implementation and over worked individuals. There is a lot of ropes you have to jump through in order to get your work done and in contact with the right individuals/key plays. The change management for the system implementation is severely lacking.

Trust your employees to do their jobs and provide them additional support for heavy workloads.

First the recession than Healthcare Reform

Current Employee - Appeals and Grievance Coordinator  in  El Dorado Hills, CA
    Current Employee - Appeals and Grievance Coordinator in El Dorado Hills, CA

I have been working at Blue Shield Of California full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great people and great hours.

Cons

BSC first began expecting too more work than was possible, so our error rate went up and audits were impossible to pass. Than with healthcare reform (the CEO promoted prior to 'retiring,' and leaving the workers with the burden-thanks Bruce!), the work load became much more difficult to manage as more employees were needed. The good news is that they are hiring and for the long-term faithful employees, this means a promotion (if you made the right contacts with the right people and you need to be in your 20's-30's to be considered).

Overall, they try to get it right for the most part. However, like any office it's not just the politics in the office that make the job difficult, it is the drive in the economy and industry. Be aware that the wages are below the market because it is a not for profit company and raises are 1-2% on average. The cost of healthcare isn't cheaper either, since it isn't a national brand or state employer. The company reserves millions for its charity work when it really should give that back to their employees.

Most of the people are great and made the job worthwhile each day!

Invest in your employees and don't promote the 20 year olds; they still have quite a bit of maturing to do.

A company full of robotic zombies

Former Employee - Analyst  in  El Dorado Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Analyst in El Dorado Hills, CA

I worked at Blue Shield Of California full-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible work hours
    Cafeteria
    Nice campus
    Good benefits

Cons

The worst work environment I have ever experienced. Too many old timers protecting their "turf".

I was recruited as part of a new team with specific project objectives. After I started I discovered a similar team had been let go, and management explained it was because they were not performing and a new skill set was being sought to deal with the issues. My VP was relatively new, and he had a vision for shaking things up in our department.

But he was the only one. From day one I was met with horrible comments and put downs, distrust and negativity from fellow staff. I came to this department full of ideas and a plan to achieve our objective and nobody wanted to listen or know. I was reminded by my co workers that the long time employees that were "let go" to make way for our new team was because they wanted to bring in "cheaper labor". I endured comments such as "you're lucky to be here you know, my friend was laid off to make way for you - she worked here 20 years" or "I guess they got you cheaper". My qualifications were compared to the past employees, I was given verbal dressing downs in front of 20 people by persons that had no business doing so, that I in no way reported to. When presenting my outlook and project plan to the team (as asked to by management) people would sneer and be disrespectful while I was talking. I have never met a bunch of such rude, jealous, crazy people in my life.

After a few months it was clear to me my workmates had zero passion or interest in what we were supposed to be doing. They were there for one reason only: a paycheck and pension. They went about their duties like the walking dead, did not care and were not shy about not caring.

To boot, in the interview process I was told I could telecommute 2-3 days per week. This was a big plus for me accepting this job, since the salary is nothing special. A month in I asked what the status of my laptop was, to be told - sorry we can't afford to buy any more laptops. This was a slap in the face, and I had to adjust my home life because they had reneged on their promise. Not good. Can't afford a laptop? Also not good.

It was soul destroying to come to a new job full of excitement and ideas only to be shot down at every turn. I really wanted to make a difference there, what a shame.

Get rid of the problem employees, and most of the long time ones. They are stuck in their ways and do not like fresh blood, especially fresh blood who want to make a difference. You talk about changing the culture but its just lip service. In this new era of healthcare, you're going to sink with these albatrosses on your backs.

Hire some new talent who really have a passion for your "critical few". Get rid of the paycheck moochers who think they are entitled.

Chaos

I have been working at Blue Shield Of California full-time

Pros

Some people are friendly.

Cons

The company is trying to do too much too fast. Conflicting priorities is a HUGE understatement. Management is very inconsistent. The morale in my area is very negative--my boss does not know how to communicate, then punishes (and fires) direct reports for not mind-reading.

You unsuccessfully tried to cut some priorities...please try again. Morale will not improve with managers who manage by fear.

Few complaints other than ok kind of company

Pros

nice work-life balance, great benefits

Cons

not much growth, laid back

Very nice company to work for

Former Employee - Program Manager  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Program Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Blue Shield Of California as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Good orientation. Allow for learning phase. Thorough info and resources to learn the job.

Cons

the company culture as to what to say and not say to vendors.

There ought to be employee evals even with contracted employees for 30/60/90 days so as to redirect the focus of the work for what is super important and what to kind of let go of.

Way too many chiefs

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  El Dorado Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Dorado Hills, CA

I worked at Blue Shield Of California full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The medical benefits and PTO are adequate. You are eligible for health benefits and vested in 401k on date of hire. The limit placed on company profits and involvement in community service is admirable.

Cons

The layers of management within the company seem to be endless. The organizational structure changes frequently. Dental benefits are poor. My manager provided me no negative feedback throughout the year until my annual review, then I was placed on performance plan and received no raise or bonus. The unknowns and ever changing Affordable Care Act related requirements and mandates makes project work challenging.

Hire an organizational consulting firm to assess the layers of management and make recommendation.

Worked for Blue Shield Of California? Contribute to the Community!