Blue Shield Of California

Updated November 3, 2014
2.9

Blue Shield Of California President & CEO Paul Markovich
Paul Markovich

Pros
  • Decent work life balance (be sure you set this expectation early - don't be reactive) (in 29 reviews)

• As with many large companies there are good benefits as well as some really good people (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • There is no work/life balance, many people are essentially doing the jobs of two people (in 18 reviews)

• Senior management seems to never be on the same page; high silo environment (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

57 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

lots of leanings which is helping my career

Former Employee - Oracle Database Administrator in Folsom, CA
    Former Employee - Oracle Database Administrator in Folsom, CA

I worked at Blue Shield Of California full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

good place to work. work life is balanced

Cons

have to extend work sometimes without billing

Management support wonderful and want you to be successful.

Former Employee - Anonymous in El Dorado Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous in El Dorado Hills, CA

I worked at Blue Shield Of California full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There is always room to grow and be successful and creative. Good benefits and management always supportive

Cons

Pay to start not the best.

Worst company I have ever worked for

Current Employee - Billing Representative in El Dorado Hills, CA
    Current Employee - Billing Representative in El Dorado Hills, CA

I have been working at Blue Shield Of California as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

I have flex time which means I can come in as early as 6:30 every morning so I can get off by 3:00. Also, we are allowed to use headphones while working. I have got to watch several shows and movies while working which I never would have got to do at home which is great.

Cons

This company has the rudest people I have every worked with!!! From day one no one says good morning, excuse me, nothing its awful. Everyone hates their jobs and their life and it shows! Also, with this company being as big as it is they are so very unorganized. They also don't want you to be able to ask your lead questions when what your doing is new and all the instances are different. They expect after a certain amount of time you should understand how to proceed in every situation and to just do it. Also, when we have a new project nothing is forthcoming. Specifics that should be disclosed at the beginning of the assignment are not and to get any helpful answers you have to just keep asking, its like pulling teeth, one by one. They do not provide full and proper training but instead give some half butt one hour training on something that even the head of our department said should at least be a full day. And they wonder why things aren't getting done right and there are a lot of mistakes. Lastly, I wanted to mention that I applied for this position on their website and had an interview and was hired...but not as a full time employee like I thought I would be but a contract to hire employee which I agreed to because I know how contract positions typically work, after three months your in. What hope I did have was stomped when during training our supervisor told us that there were no open positions in our department therefore we would not be getting hired. I almost started crying! I passed up other permanent positions thinking that with the good pay I was receiving and the chance to get hired that this would be a good company to make a career but unfortunately I was wrong.

BSC

Current Employee - Intermediate Business Analyst in El Dorado Hills, CA
    Current Employee - Intermediate Business Analyst in El Dorado Hills, CA

I have been working at Blue Shield Of California full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good company and competitive compensation

Cons

IT Department is incompetent and lacking in technological hardware for employees

Quit Micromanaging your employees and they'd be more productive.

Constantly racing to keep up with minimal communication and large backlogs. Male dominance.

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in El Dorado Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in El Dorado Hills, CA

I worked at Blue Shield Of California full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good staff people with experience and content knowledge.

Cons

Very little team collaboration, as managers tend to act as dictators, then wonder why they don't have independent thinkers. The system is very complex and requires maximum collaboration to be successful. Attempts to involve people in LEAN Quality processes have been done as a sham. Decisions are not delegated and input is not sought.

Train managers how to develop and coach a team based organization and rate their behavior on teamwork effectiveness. Managers need to learn how to utilize inclusive approaches to decision making. Some managers just need to be replaced because they have no sensitivity or concern for employees, especially toward women who can't join them on the tennis courts.

I did not like working here because the environment was not a very pleasant one.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Dorado, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Dorado, CA

I worked at Blue Shield Of California full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Sick leave, vacation and 401K benefits are good. Flexible start and stop times are also good.

Cons

The Company had a lot of meetings where nothing came out of them and no follow-thru about what was discussed. A lot of unhappy employees and back-stabbing going on.

Give back some of the Company perks like gift cards, years with the Company gifts, etc.

Who you work for and with counts

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Blue Shield Of California full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Unlike some organizations, Blue Shield really does value its employees. But this is really only meaningful if your own management walks the talk. If not, alt least there are other opportunities within the company. Bad people are not exclusive to any organization and most organizations are ineffective at changing individual behavior unless it falls well to the outside of extreme.

Cons

Benefits continue to erode, as they do elsewhere.

We're a long way from silo busting and continuing to operate the business under a feudal system makes enterprise alignment challenging at the middle management level. We assign work based on abstract roles or titles rather than assessing and finding the right skillsets and expertise needed for best results.

I would work there again if the position & team were right

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Dorado Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Dorado Hills, CA

I worked at Blue Shield Of California as a contractor (more than 5 years)

Pros

As with many large companies there are good benefits as well as some really good people. Job satisfaction for me was closely tied to the team that I was working with.

Cons

As with many large companies there is a lot of "process" and sometimes slow on progress of projects. There also seemed to be a lot of reorganizaion of leadership.

Love the people, hard to promote

Former Employee - Customer Service Lead in El Dorado Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Lead in El Dorado Hills, CA

I worked at Blue Shield Of California full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The people were great to work with. I loved those who were above and below me in the "chain of command".

Cons

The company's political views were sometimes contrary to my own. The "Naked Statues" felt like sexual harassment, although the company stated they were trying to make people understand the vulnerability of being uninsured.

Invest in development. Help people understand what it takes to advance in the company.

First the recession than Healthcare Reform

Current Employee - Appeals and Grievance Coordinator in El Dorado Hills, CA
    Current Employee - Appeals and Grievance Coordinator in El Dorado Hills, CA

I have been working at Blue Shield Of California full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great people and great hours.

Cons

BSC first began expecting too more work than was possible, so our error rate went up and audits were impossible to pass. Than with healthcare reform (the CEO promoted prior to 'retiring,' and leaving the workers with the burden-thanks Bruce!), the work load became much more difficult to manage as more employees were needed. The good news is that they are hiring and for the long-term faithful employees, this means a promotion (if you made the right contacts with the right people and you need to be in your 20's-30's to be considered).

Overall, they try to get it right for the most part. However, like any office it's not just the politics in the office that make the job difficult, it is the drive in the economy and industry. Be aware that the wages are below the market because it is a not for profit company and raises are 1-2% on average. The cost of healthcare isn't cheaper either, since it isn't a national brand or state employer. The company reserves millions for its charity work when it really should give that back to their employees.

Most of the people are great and made the job worthwhile each day!

Invest in your employees and don't promote the 20 year olds; they still have quite a bit of maturing to do.

Blue Shield Of California Photos