Blue Shield Of California

Updated Mar 28, 2014

Blue Shield Of California President & CEO Paul Markovich

Paul Markovich

43 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Overall, Blue Shield of CA is good company to work for, though the culture may differ from department to department.

I worked at Blue Shield Of California full-time for more than 10 years

ProsBSC tries to live its values, but the culture of each team and/or department can differ from one department to another, depending on the manager's leadership style. As with any company, some managers are better than others, in regards to the culture of their team and how well that team works together to produce an end result. BSC employees are encouraged to and rewarded for exemplifying a healthier lifestyle, in order to decrease the cost of their own health care.

ConsBSC is a large company of 5,000+ employees working at many sites throughout California. One statement does not fit all. Hence, the challenges of working at BSC will be different to the team you work for and your own circumstances.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagers need to do more towards team building - to produce an environment where everyone feels welcomed and motivated to continue giving their best. The focus on this does not happen as often as it should. Meet with you team members individually on a quarterly basis in regards to their goals and objectives. You'll get to know your team members better and will get a better sense of how to help them progress in their job. They will feel better... and so will you.

My experience at Blue Shield

I worked at Blue Shield Of California full-time for more than 10 years

ProsI loved working with the people. Very friendly atmosphere. Very organized company

ConsSometimes took a while to get technology impemented

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your people. When they are struggling with staffing issues, really understand the whole environment before making bad decisions.

Favoritism runs rampant

Current Employee (Current Employee)
El Dorado Hills, CA

I have been working at Blue Shield Of California full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood benefits but a little expensive. Flexible hours (depending on your manager). Generous PTO and tuition assistance program. Depending on who your manager is, you can either love it or hate it here.

ConsIts all about who you know - not who is the best person for the job. I know some truly useless people who have been promoted to very well paid, cushy jobs. If the boss likes you, you can write your own career path. If not, you can count on your career in this company to be relegated to the same position and same pay forever. The old timers ie: long term employees, rule the roost here and they are so out of touch with modern business culture its sad. They really need to go through some sort of training to bring them in line with how it works these days.

The HR dept is completely unresponsive. Departmental budgets across the board have been slashed and resources to do your job properly are literally non existent. Staff turnover attests to these issues. Internal jobs posted disappear within a few days, we find out later they went to someone's buddy instead of the job really being open to the best person. Very discouraging. Got any new ideas you'd like to share with management? Forget it - unless you're on the "inside" social group, your ideas will be dismissed.

Advice to Senior ManagementValue employees more and give them opportunity to grow. Stop slashing budgets - we make enough money to pay people properly. Stop playing favorites. Give the people "hungry" enough to better themselves and make a difference, a chance to do so.

Good place to work in. Workplace culture fits my personality.

Intermediate Business Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at Blue Shield Of California full-time for less than a year

ProsThe people are great to work with.

ConsThe compensation can be a little bit better.

Turmoil and upheaval

I worked at Blue Shield Of California full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood benefits, with the exception of the insurance. You would think an insurer would give their employees a good policy. Instead it's mediocre.
Hard working, dedicated people

ConsRe-orgs are as common as house flies. You had to have a current org chart to know who you were reporting to. Very top heavy.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust your people. They are dedicated and want to do a good job. Give them to tools they need, remove the roadblocks and let them do their jobs.

Used to be a great place to work, going down the tubes!

HRIS Analyst (Former Employee)

I worked at Blue Shield Of California full-time for more than 8 years

ProsIf you are in EDH, great cafe, gym and other benefits. The people you work with for the most part are great.

ConsManagement is terrible. It's always been terrible but getting worse. The upper management has no connection with the workers, decisions are made with no comprehension of the real world effects.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry retaining some of the high performers, long term employees. Most of you have no idea how the company actually works.

A great company with some challenges

El Dorado Hills, CA

I have been working at Blue Shield Of California full-time for more than 8 years

ProsThis company has real heart - they care about the mission to get all Californian's access to quality care at a reasonable price. The company is also honest and transparent about it's desire to improve culture

ConsBeing a healthcare company, the benefits aren't great, which is surprising. Pay is also not always competitive, especially for those who stay for many years. This company is also shockingly behind on technology and that makes doing much of the work a lot more difficult.

Advice to Senior ManagementOutline more actionable things you are doing to improve culture, rather than sharing updates in a very upbeat, but ultimately non-specific way. Also, focus on getting ahead of potential employee issues rather than responding in a very reactionary way. It builds trust and let's us know you are aware of issues so we don't feel we have to chase down the information ourselves. Be more flexible with alternative employment arrangements, such a working from home. BSC upper management leaves it in the hands of middle management, and many of those people are employees who have worked for the company for 10+ years and don't understand that the job environment has changed and people are looking at work differently. Because of this, they are oftentimes old fashioned and inflexible about things like working from home.

I could not be happier… this is a great company!

Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at Blue Shield Of California full-time for more than a year

ProsWhere to start…
good pay. amazing benefits (including 401k matching). Onsite cafe at all locations with HEALTHY food. Reimbursement for school &/or professional development & certifications + bonuses for achieving them. They take talent management plans/reviews very seriously. LOTS of opportunity to move up.. if you are unhappy in one department/team it is possible to transfer to another. Completely paid for wellness events ie mud runs, triathlons, pedometers. Onsite Weight Watchers. And I get to work from home at least once a week… need I say more? Oh.. also there are really really great people who work here who actually want to make a difference.. this isn't the crowd that clocks in.. does what they have to.. and then clocks out.

ConsThe culture is changing (for the better in my opinion) but there is some tension between people who have been there 10+ years and newer employees. One thing I have a problem with is that since there is so much room for mobility across and up through departments, people are competitive (which isn't necessarily bad) but the people who tend to get noticed are the more outspoken/loud/crazy individuals.. which isn't my personality type.

Horrible Place To Work, AVOID AT ALL COSTS

Finance Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Blue Shield Of California full-time for more than a year

ProsCasual dress code (if you don't like to wear a suit and tie)

ConsIncompetent management, unprofessional from recruitment process all the way to resignation, lack of direction, high turnover, politics, poor benefits, lack of accountability, work life balance is emphasized in recruitment process but once hired things change, company is in a state of disarray.

Advice to Senior ManagementThis company is in turmoil....find a competent management team and start rebuilding from there!

So much potential being wasted

Human Resources Director (Former Employee)

I worked at Blue Shield Of California full-time for more than 5 years

Prosnot for profit
focused on health and wellness

Consleadership in flux
lack of career development for employees
lack of innovation

Advice to Senior Managementallow your employees and leaders to do their job and it will do wonders for your bottom line.

Worked for Blue Shield Of California? Contribute to the Community!

Blue Shield Of California Videos

Blue Shield Of California – Why Work for Us?

Transformation is the Opportunity   We're looking for professionals who will help us shape the future of health care, making it more accessible, affordable and easy to use. We are a leader in the industry and plan to… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Blue Shield Of California reviews and ratings in Sacramento, CA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Blue Shield Of California CEO Paul Markovich. All 43 reviews posted anonymously by Blue Shield Of California employees.