Blue Sky Agency Reviews

A mixed bag

Former Employee - Creative
    Former Employee - Creative

I worked at Blue Sky Agency full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great location and physical environment. Peers in the creative department are true team players; they want to see each other succeed and everyone is willing to help out when someone else is overloaded. Great sense of humor and staff camaraderie that inspires fearless ideas. Strong on copywriting, due to the CD and ACD. Freedom to work on multiple projects and accounts and gain a lot of experience in a short amount of time.

Cons

It's a fun place, but there are problems brewing under the surface: Drama among upper management that affects the lives of everyone. CEO can be a nice guy but comes off as paranoid and insecure, made a bad impression at all-staff meetings. People are promoted based on loyalty and amount of overtime, not talent or vision. Agency seems isolated from the rest of the creative community, has trouble recruiting top talent. Work is very traditional and print-focused, trying to improve interactive but going about it the wrong way. Weak on design—although there is some good talent, there's no one higher up to nurture it. Traffic/process is highly controlled so there's not a lot of face time with the client—everything is filtered through account management. Clients are so-so. Pay is decent but not worth it when you factor in overtime.

You're making it harder than it needs to be. When people are crying in your parking lot, there's a problem!

Great Creative, Poor Management

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Blue Sky Agency as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Great, airy work space with plenty of places to work from if you need inspiration and wish to move from your desk. A lot of fantastic restaurants nearby for tasty lunch options. Friendly staff, great brainstorming group sessions, and exciting clients to work for. The work is definitely portfolio worthy. The creative talent is fantastic. Dog friendly office!

Cons

The environment is stifled and the agency is very political. It's all about favoritism, and it's never anything about achievement, talent or hard work. You'll be working long, long hours and hardly any recognition or appreciation for it except for the free dinner. Forget getting lunch with friends - you can count on eating at your desk as well as missing any after work plans you made. There is a high turnover rate. The clients are pushy and there is bad communication with them and the staff. Creative staff is given little to no time to work on a project that is meant for a much longer time frame.

Give your staff a break once in a while, and make sure that clients know they can't expect a three week project in two days.

Copious Amounts of Talent and Vast Opportunities

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Blue Sky Agency

Pros

It is without a doubt that Blue Sky Agency has in place some of the greatest talent in the industry. I am humbled daily by the volume of great work that is achieved for our clients. We have the brightest creative/interactive/motion depts that ideate, execute and deliver amazing results on every project. The account services team truly are an undeniable force when it comes to the advocacy of our clients needs and objectives, they possess strong thought leadership, and at the end of the day they make our clients job that much easier by being on time and being within budget and most importantly, delivering the best solution for the project at hand. Equally important to the creative and account services teams is the owners approach to running the agency. He picks the talent and puts them in place and allows them to develop their leadership and management skills. He asks of his senior level employees to be part of the decision making for certain aspects of the agency, and in other scopes he allows for autonomy, entrusting employees to make sound decisions for the agency. He recognizes intelligence and a strong work ethic and from what I can tell, he rewards those that take initiative.

Cons

The pace is very fast and it can lend itself to employees eschewing certain processes that need to be in place in order to manage the volume of work. I would preach to the staff to do things by the book, it will pay off in the end.

Create Blue Sky Agency career paths for junior level employees so they understand what goals they are working towards and mentor them along the way to be successful in attaining them.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Clients, Great Culture, Great People!

Current Employee - Current Employee  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Current Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Blue Sky Agency

Pros

I'm one of the more tenured employees at Blue Sky and plan on being here for much longer. The reason is simple: the people, the people, the people. Blue Sky really does hire the most talented people who are at the top of their game, whether its in the creative department, account department or traffic. I laugh each and every day that I'm here (and not just because some people are stand-up comedians)
    Pair that with an amazing client list that spans sports, cable networks and fashion, and you really can't lose.
    Great opportunity for advancement, and compensation is competitive based on colleagues and peers that I've talked with.
    And you got to love a Friday happy hour and wearing jeans to work every day!

Cons

Communication can always be improved at any company, large or small.
    We work hard, so make sure to continue to invest in fun outings and activities and reward and recognize those who go the extra mile.

Continue working on open lines of communication within the agency. Continue to develop new ways to reward, inspire and incent people to work hard.

The Juice is Worth the Squeeze

Current Employee - Graphic Designer  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Graphic Designer in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Blue Sky Agency

Pros

As a designer at Blue Sky, I have no desire to leave anytime soon because of an amazing team of co-workers, management and a diverse client list. I love coming to work every morning because everyone works as a team to accomplish our goals and produce exemplary work. And if longer hours and several cups o' joe is what it takes to be successful in this industry than we're up for the challenge! Bring. it. on.
    Endless opportunity to advance if you consistently exhibit 110% work ethic and a good attitude.
    When you work long hours, it’s recognized by management both individually and as a group with fun work activities and happy hour on Fridays.
    Awesome mentors help you improve your talent.
    Resources and opportunity are constantly provided by the company to further expand your knowledge.
    Traffic team efficiently distributes creative to employees based on availability, work load, and skill set which keeps things operating smoothly.

Cons

The screening process for new hires needs to be reexamined.
    File organization and consistency could always improve.
    Lack of physical room for company expansion.

Work on establishing a more personal relationship with employees. Explore new and exciting ways to inspire employees to keep up the hard work and positive attitudes.

An unstable business who cannot allocate resources

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Blue Sky Agency

Pros

Some smart folks, but poor business ethics. Err, more like, none at all.

Cons

Very unprofessional, despite the front they put up.

Allocate resources more appropriately

Work hard and get rewarded

Current Employee - Account Services  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Account Services in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Blue Sky Agency

Pros

Management truly does appreciate employee contributions
    Those who work hard are recognized and rewarded
    Management is supportive of work/family balance
    Free parking!
    Awesome work environment, and dog-friendly
    Great co-workers who truly care about each other and their clients
    Amazing creative talent
    Many positive HR changes

Cons

Communication is not always clear and direct
    Not enough physical room for growth
    Need a more formalized training program and procedures

Keep clear and consistent communication with employees as the agency continues to grow and change. Change isnt always popular, but with clear communication as to where you're going and why, it's easier for people to accept.

Great Creative Team, Poor Management

I worked at Blue Sky Agency

Pros

Great creative staff!
    Creative staff is a team and work as a team.
    Young and passionate staff.
    Great Work Space.

Cons

Very political.
    Poor communication from Executive Management.
    Long Hours.
    Not competitive.
    Lack of faith from Management in the work done by the staff
    Lack of technology
    No room for growth.

Trust people to do their job.

Creative minds, poor business planning and ethics

I worked at Blue Sky Agency

Pros

Creative environment, good location, some outstanding creative talent but in a stiffled enviroment, young, energectic employees and some good clients

Cons

Disorganized management, some very very long workdays, little room to move up in the company, most imporantly horrible business ethics overall

Worked for Blue Sky Agency? Contribute to the Community!