Blue Sky Satellite Reviews

David Bennett

1. If you don't suck it's a solid and rewarding job

Current Employee - Field Service Tech in Joplin, MO
    Current Employee - Field Service Tech in Joplin, MO

I have been working at Blue Sky Satellite full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

4 day work week, great pay, overtime, stellar management team, payroll deduct for tools, company vehicles, fuel card, bonus and commission incentives.

Cons

Schedule does prohibit making plans outside of your scheduled days off, insurance is insanely high.
    Sometimes help on large or complicated jobs would be appreciated

Help find ways to cut insurance cost to employees. Further interaction with field service techs

2. Not the greatest, but not the worst.

Current Employee - Dish Technician in Wichita, KS
    Current Employee - Dish Technician in Wichita, KS

I have been working at Blue Sky Satellite full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Pretty good pay for no experience.

Cons

Too hard to meet all the super high expectations needed.

3. For an entry level job, this company does better than most

Current Employee - Field Techichian in Des Moines, IA
    Current Employee - Field Techichian in Des Moines, IA

I have been working at Blue Sky Satellite full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I didn't do any communications/networking before BSS, but after our month training program its something that as long as your willing to try getting better and building, you will grow for the better. I had a very knowledgeable managers and mentors, showed me the right and told me the wrong. other reviewers may not have had good management or mentors but the Des Moines Office of this company has it together.
    Company Vehicles and paid gas is a benefit for most, yes our vehicles are tracked by GPS but they are company provided, what do you expect. Just pay for tools which can be paid out though roughly a year via paycheck. All equipment needed for the job is provided via BSS/Dish.
    Blue Sky Satellite is a company that promotes from within, and always fun competitiveness upon most of our technicians. Continued job training on new dish products and equipment.
    Progression is great as long as you try, if you don't or think the others will cover you would be wrong.
    This job is definitely a team effort, if every one of our tech's just did the basic you probably wouldn't know our company.

Cons

The GM told me right off the bat in my interview that our work days will be long sometimes and job will push you to the limit, but step back, cool off then restart. At times the Management can make you angry, but its rare for our operation in the Des Moines office and only want to see you succeed and do better.

Good pay, management has a lot of room for improvement

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Iowa City, IA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Iowa City, IA

I have been working at Blue Sky Satellite full-time

Pros

Good pay
    Lots of overtime available
    Okay benefits

Cons

Management has lot of room for growth
    Under appropriation for a job well done
    Always blaming the techs for issues and never looking at managements own flaws and issues.

A good Field Service Manager "FSM" is there to work with there techs and assist them in any way possible, by encouraging effectiveness and productivity and correcting mistakes by showing the the correct way to do thing instead of dragging them throw the sand and setting them up to crash and burn... Also recognizing and reinforcing what is being done right even if there is room for improvement.

6. Management does everything in their power to make you look like crap if you don't get perfect results. AVOID

Former Employee - Installation Tech in Independence, IA
    Former Employee - Installation Tech in Independence, IA

I worked at Blue Sky Satellite

Pros

Pay is ok
    Company Van (Sometimes)
    Gas card

Cons

Horrible Management
    Their standards are complete bull
    Crapped on for bad statistics that aren't your fault
    They expect way to much out of employees and customers
    When something is wrong, the techs take the fall.
    Never know if your jobs stable or not.

Instead of making Techs look like crap by broadcasting their stats in front of the whole company, how about you actually reason with them and try to understand them.

7. Overworked Underappriciated

Former Employee - Install Tech in Topeka, KS
    Former Employee - Install Tech in Topeka, KS

I worked at Blue Sky Satellite

Pros

The pay used to be really good when paid by the job, hourly rate is horrible.

Cons

Long long hours, little chance for advancement unless you go over your supervisors head. Suprevisors simply are a wall blocking employees from communicating with distract managers. If you do a good job, the supervisor takes credit, if you do a poor job, you a publiclly riduculed.

Allow technicans to comminucate with home office.

8. Not a Career, but just a job to get a paycheck!

Former Employee - Technician
    Former Employee - Technician

I worked at Blue Sky Satellite

Pros

Paid for Gas and Equipment! Worked alone without a supervisor looking over your shoulder and watching every mistake you make.

Cons

I literally had to provide a Drs. Excuse for every time I went to the DR. from being ill, kids being ill, or when my spouse was pregnant and needed to go to the Dr. GPS units installed in Company Vehicles and personal owned vehicles to monitor where you are at all times to make sure you aren't ripping off the company. Being reprimanded for customers who are upset at Dish Network and not you as a Technician and failing you on a Customer Satisfaction Form. Adding more jobs at the end of your day and not knowing or being able to plan time for family.

Hire new Supervisors Company Wide to help Technicians. If you want Great Employees take care of the ones that have been with the Company and know the job rather than firing them and hiring new to save money on salaries. Have Dave retire and Greg take over the company already!!!

9. Good Pay, horrible working conditions

Former Employee - Installation Tech
    Former Employee - Installation Tech

I worked at Blue Sky Satellite

Pros

Pay is OK, overtime pay. Use of company vans, and not having to pay for fuel or maintenance. Also working with most customers. Working by yourself without supervision.

Cons

Benefits package is pitiful at best. Poor management at ALL levels to the top. You never know when you will be done each day. A lot of double standards, your asked to do the work to a certain standard, but that standard is quickly thrown out the window by managers just to complete the job. Managers are very quick to send nasty emails pointing out your failures, but rarely send out nice emails highlighting successes. The director of installations routinely threatens jobs, all the while saying that he is not threatening jobs.

The CEO is never seen or heard from. The company need a complete management overhaul, from top to bottom, hiring people who can manage, not promoting people because they were the best technician. Unfortunately the company has a long track record of this behavior.

10. Avoid this place

Current Employee - Installation Technician
    Current Employee - Installation Technician

I have been working at Blue Sky Satellite

Pros

Fun to work Outdoors
    Supplies were provided by the company
    Fun and challenging work, no two installs were ever the same

Cons

Horrible Management
    Would trade employees out for new ones who were cheaper in a heart beat
    Stripped piece rate and went hourly went from 600 in 2 days to 300
    Double standards for jobs

Treat the employees like you actually care, they should feel that they aren't disposable this will help them be more productive and enjoy working there