Blue State Digital

Updated August 14, 2014
Updated August 14, 2014

4.3

Joe Rospars

Smart people with a great product still figuring some things out.

Current Employee - Director  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Director in New York, NY

Pros

Strong leadership, some excellent work, and a compelling brand have kept the company growing. Lots of new people are rounding out the skills and capabilities.

Client mix keeps the work interesting. People can do great work for the causes they care about but also learn new skills in different industries. The combo of technology and agency services makes the company unique and offers opportunity to see both sides of the digital marketing world.

Company culture is ideal: high-achieving but convivial.

Cons

Fast growth has brought challenges in process, personnel, and consistency, but there's self-awareness and constant effort to improve. The client mix is an overall positive aspect of BSD, but it also means there are cases of attempts to stretch into new types of work that fall short. But better to keep pushing than grow stale.

Hipsters' Paradise in Need of Structure

Pros

Amazing clients. Hip vibe. Perks out of the wazoo. Long hours are validated by compelling work.

Cons

There is definitely an "in-crowd" and if you aren't associated with one of these cliques, then there is little chance for advancement. Fit in or get out. Also, there seems to be a never-ending feeling of confusion which can be exciting at times. But generally, it is evident that there is some disorganization within the four-walls of Blue State.

Structure is your friend!

Great people, annoying codebase

Former Employee - Software Engineer  in  Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Boston, MA

Pros

You work with great people!
    Much of the work is for good causes.
    Ping pong.

Cons

The coding paradigm changed from too-sloppy to way-too-rigorous. Jobs that used to take 30minutes now take 3 hours. Young leadership embraces programming fads that would be best used in moderation.
    No profit sharing.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Exciting challenges and smart coworkers

Pros

Great clients, creative work, and lots of really smart people. There is a lot of opportunity to take on work that interests you, if you're willing to work for it. There's an excitement to take on big challenges and figure out new solutions that I haven't felt in other places.

Cons

Long hours, and no clear route for career advancement.

Great values, Great people, Great company

Current Employee - Account Coordinator
    Current Employee - Account Coordinator

Pros

You get exposure to a variety of clients-- from political campaigns to corporations to nonprofits. I love the people that I work with. I'm grateful to be working for a company that holds the same values as I do-- and wears their values on their sleeve.

Cons

Long. Hours. COB is technically at 6:00pm, which means that you really don't leave the office until 6:30 or 7:00 most days. When you have a partner that finishes work at 5:00pm, this means ~10 less hours a week of quality time with family (and 40 less hours a month). The people and the mission of the company make it worth it-- for now.

The company is based on values. One of the few values that is missing is work-life balance. We need to better structure this as a company.

Mission-driven organization, transparent leadership, good career path opportunities

Current Employee - Senior Management Position  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Management Position in New York, NY

Pros

I've been there for several years, in a management position. Here are some of the things I like: (1) The company has ideals and I feel like it respects them, preferring clients that will be good for the world and for its employees. (2) Culture is healthy and collaborative; people are heard and anyone can contribute. (3) Leadership is transparent; we are kept apprised of how the company is doing. (4) Many of the people in management have been promoted from lower-level positions, and I've enjoyed watching my colleagues grow into jobs with more responsibility.

Cons

Sometimes I feel like there are TOO many people involved in things, so it's hard to make progress. Also, there's way too much cultural reliance on email. (I think the company's trying to change this.)

Great clients, great team

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

We work for causes you can believe in and the mix of work is interesting. Talented and passionate group of people. CEO that walk the walk on values and people. Great track record of promoting from within.

Cons

This is a growing, changing company, but that is both a pro and a con.

Continue to invest in people and commit to causes we support.

Not for everyone, and that’s a good thing.

Pros

As the name suggests, this is a purpose driven and mission led company, but it also pitches and delivers tons of work for markets and brands. The dual mission has graced the agency with an amazing team of creative thinkers who care about data and communications calendars as much as they care about poverty alleviation and the environment. I actively enjoy the company and intelligence of my workmates.

I’ve also worked here long enough to witness two significant evolutionary phases. Both were not what I’d call easy, but both left the company stronger, much more diverse in gender and race, and increased the quality of the work. There are multiple systems in place for feedback, and some huge changes in process have been the direct result of employee feedback or action- both anonymously through surveys or through direct entrepreneurial efforts.

Cons

This is not a place for anyone. The company will be different a year from now, and different a year from then. To not go crazy here, you have to be ready for this, and I’ve seen some talented people (from agencies and from nonprofits & foundations) struggle with this kind of change.

The interview process is a beast. You’ve got to talk to half a dozen people at least (some talk to as many as 10) and everyone needs to be OK’d by the CEO. The process works (mostly) and weeds out the not-totally-committed, but can be long and difficult on candidates schedules.

Finally, if you’re interested in getting rich, this is not the place. While there is some brand and corporate work, fully 2/3 of the clients are non-profits and institutions whose budgets don't even come close to the corporate stuff. However, the salaries are better than non-profits and many small agencies, and the benefits (massive parental leave, professional development funding, and solid holidays) are really good. And you can sleep well at night.

Keep growing and hiring smartly, don’t lose the culture, keep the client mix.

Best company I've worked for

Pros

Everyone here is incredibly friendly and a pleasure to work with. You get exposed to a lot of different lines of the business and it's very collaborative. The client base is unique and makes you proud to work here.

Cons

Company is growing incredibly fast.

Passion Driven Company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

BSD works for awesome causes and will not just choose any clients to work with. We have an awesome cultural work environment, and people that are passionate and excited about the things going on with BSD. We even have days such as Grilled Cheese Day, Bagel Mondays, Happy hours and more + a Kegerator!

BSD will also invest in their very own and will provide you with a certain fund to further your career.

Cons

Everyone is very reliant on e-mails to communicate and reach out. If the internet goes out, we are all stuck in a rut.

Worked for Blue State Digital? Contribute to the Community!