Blue State Digital

Add Photos

Joe Rospars

Great people, annoying codebase

Software Engineer (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsYou work with great people!
    Much of the work is for good causes.
    Ping pong.

ConsThe coding paradigm changed from too-sloppy to way-too-rigorous. Jobs that used to take 30minutes now take 3 hours. Young leadership embraces programming fads that would be best used in moderation.
    No profit sharing.

Exciting challenges and smart coworkers

ProsGreat clients, creative work, and lots of really smart people. There is a lot of opportunity to take on work that interests you, if you're willing to work for it. There's an excitement to take on big challenges and figure out new solutions that I haven't felt in other places.

ConsLong hours, and no clear route for career advancement.

Great values, Great people, Great company

Account Coordinator (Current Employee)

ProsYou get exposure to a variety of clients-- from political campaigns to corporations to nonprofits. I love the people that I work with. I'm grateful to be working for a company that holds the same values as I do-- and wears their values on their sleeve.

ConsLong. Hours. COB is technically at 6:00pm, which means that you really don't leave the office until 6:30 or 7:00 most days. When you have a partner that finishes work at 5:00pm, this means ~10 less hours a week of quality time with family (and 40 less hours a month). The people and the mission of the company make it worth it-- for now.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe company is based on values. One of the few values that is missing is work-life balance. We need to better structure this as a company.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Mission-driven organization, transparent leadership, good career path opportunities

Senior Management Position (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsI've been there for several years, in a management position. Here are some of the things I like: (1) The company has ideals and I feel like it respects them, preferring clients that will be good for the world and for its employees. (2) Culture is healthy and collaborative; people are heard and anyone can contribute. (3) Leadership is transparent; we are kept apprised of how the company is doing. (4) Many of the people in management have been promoted from lower-level positions, and I've enjoyed watching my colleagues grow into jobs with more responsibility.

ConsSometimes I feel like there are TOO many people involved in things, so it's hard to make progress. Also, there's way too much cultural reliance on email. (I think the company's trying to change this.)

Best company I've worked for

ProsEveryone here is incredibly friendly and a pleasure to work with. You get exposed to a lot of different lines of the business and it's very collaborative. The client base is unique and makes you proud to work here.

ConsCompany is growing incredibly fast.

Passion Driven Company

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsBSD works for awesome causes and will not just choose any clients to work with. We have an awesome cultural work environment, and people that are passionate and excited about the things going on with BSD. We even have days such as Grilled Cheese Day, Bagel Mondays, Happy hours and more + a Kegerator!

BSD will also invest in their very own and will provide you with a certain fund to further your career.

ConsEveryone is very reliant on e-mails to communicate and reach out. If the internet goes out, we are all stuck in a rut.

Long hours but great clients and coworkers

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsSmart coworkers, great clients, incredibly positive work environment and young, energetic atmosphere. People are excited to work here and you get to do some great work. They're also at the forefront of digital fundraising and advocacy strategy, with great technical support from the Boston office.

ConsThe scaling is problematic and worrisome. The company has been growing at an almost unsustainable rate and it's becoming apparent, as people struggle to find desks to sit at in the New York office and major internal processes seem to change on an almost quarterly rate.

Upper management can be very cliquey and you need to make some noise in order to be noticed. That being said, everyone at BSD respects initiative and if you're willing to tackle challenges and work your butt off, you'll absolutely be recognized for it and compensated accordingly.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider slowing down the pace of expansion. It's an exciting time for the organization to grow, but you need to be careful and make sure you retain the things that make you great in the process.

Not for everyone, and that’s a good thing.

ProsAs the name suggests, this is a purpose driven and mission led company, but it also pitches and delivers tons of work for markets and brands. The dual mission has graced the agency with an amazing team of creative thinkers who care about data and communications calendars as much as they care about poverty alleviation and the environment. I actively enjoy the company and intelligence of my workmates.

I’ve also worked here long enough to witness two significant evolutionary phases. Both were not what I’d call easy, but both left the company stronger, much more diverse in gender and race, and increased the quality of the work. There are multiple systems in place for feedback, and some huge changes in process have been the direct result of employee feedback or action- both anonymously through surveys or through direct entrepreneurial efforts.

ConsThis is not a place for anyone. The company will be different a year from now, and different a year from then. To not go crazy here, you have to be ready for this, and I’ve seen some talented people (from agencies and from nonprofits & foundations) struggle with this kind of change.

The interview process is a beast. You’ve got to talk to half a dozen people at least (some talk to as many as 10) and everyone needs to be OK’d by the CEO. The process works (mostly) and weeds out the not-totally-committed, but can be long and difficult on candidates schedules.

Finally, if you’re interested in getting rich, this is not the place. While there is some brand and corporate work, fully 2/3 of the clients are non-profits and institutions whose budgets don't even come close to the corporate stuff. However, the salaries are better than non-profits and many small agencies, and the benefits (massive parental leave, professional development funding, and solid holidays) are really good. And you can sleep well at night.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep growing and hiring smartly, don’t lose the culture, keep the client mix.

Great clients, great team

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsWe work for causes you can believe in and the mix of work is interesting. Talented and passionate group of people. CEO that walk the walk on values and people. Great track record of promoting from within.

ConsThis is a growing, changing company, but that is both a pro and a con.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to invest in people and commit to causes we support.

Work that actually impacts the world in a good way.

Senior Designer (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsAmazing clients, chances to work on things that impact the world for social good. Working with incredibly smart people with similar values. Professional development opportunities. I feel like I've been set up to succeed here. Also bagels and stumptown!

ConsThey don't pay competitively compared to other agencies.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay us better! It's a pity knowing that I could be making 6 figures selling my soul somewhere else. Unless that's some sort of character judgement...

Worked for Blue State Digital? Contribute to the Community!