Blue State Digital

4.3

Joe Rospars

Turn for the better.

I have been working at Blue State Digital full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great client mix. Great portfolio of work with tons of exciting campaigns. Lots of innovation happening at all areas of the company. Lots of focus was put on restructuring to allow for more growth of individual, which is a pro.

Cons

Very male heavy but read this is changing for the better and that they are posting their numbers. Same goes for benefits for new families.

Great place to work that lets you grow.

Current Employee - Front-End Web Developer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Front-End Web Developer in New York, NY

I have been working at Blue State Digital full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If you give BSD the energy and creativity it wants, it will reward you with an enriching environment and the opportunity to grow into whatever role you might want. There's a commitment from the leadership to make sure employees get enriching experiences that gets the most out of them.

BSD's given me incredible opportunities, and so while other opportunities might pay better or provide more glory, the balance that BSD gives for work-life, perks, incredible clients, stability, and personal growth would be hard to match anywhere else.

Cons

Growing very quickly in the past year has led to uneven recent hires, though that's mostly been corrected.

A culture that makes up for the negatives

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Blue State Digital full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The people and culture are great at blue state. The company makes an effort to make sure people enjoy coming into work each day and is forward thinking in it's policies.

Cons

What is work life balance really?? It is what you make of it but for a lot of the people at the company, their work is their life. It's a mixture of agent lifestyle where you often times can't get away from the hectic schedules and deadlines and people being that passionate about their work that they are up at endless hours of the night. Also salary. Its the sacrifice you make for the clientele the company has. Company is on a firm budget for salaries along with restricting hiring

Sort out your on boarding and hiring processes. There's a massive lack of inconsistency across people's experiences either while interviewing, hiring or intensely within the company. Some teams handle it better than others but it's incredibly frustrating when you're on the teams that doesn't.
    Also as a company boasting about being innovative, I'd like to see more diverse representation in the make up of the company. Minorities are not as widely represented as is like.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Accounts and Sales in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Accounts and Sales in New York, NY

I have been working at Blue State Digital full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Collegial, collaborative, environment. Looking to push the envelope and learn more. People are committed, share a sense of purpose. Work is varied, both across sectors and services, leading to new learnings and interesting opportunities.

Cons

Outside brand recognition focuses to much on the political, when our work spans corporate, nonprofits, and social causes in roughly equal quantities. Not enough awareness from the community of the diversity and breadth of our agency service.

A little agency trying so hard to be big-- but not.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Blue State Digital full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Blue State is trying so hard to grow up and be profitable while remaining self aware and in touch with itself.

Cons

Pretty high turnover.

Also, the work is not particular compelling from a creative perspective. Too much naval gazing can lead to an insular, stagnant environment. Blue State needs to think bigger with creative.

Add more opportunities for formal training.

Smart people with a great product still figuring some things out.

Current Employee - Director in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Director in New York, NY

I have been working at Blue State Digital full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Strong leadership, some excellent work, and a compelling brand have kept the company growing. Lots of new people are rounding out the skills and capabilities.

Client mix keeps the work interesting. People can do great work for the causes they care about but also learn new skills in different industries. The combo of technology and agency services makes the company unique and offers opportunity to see both sides of the digital marketing world.

Company culture is ideal: high-achieving but convivial.

Cons

Fast growth has brought challenges in process, personnel, and consistency, but there's self-awareness and constant effort to improve. The client mix is an overall positive aspect of BSD, but it also means there are cases of attempts to stretch into new types of work that fall short. But better to keep pushing than grow stale.

Hipsters' Paradise in Need of Structure

I have been working at Blue State Digital

Pros

Amazing clients. Hip vibe. Perks out of the wazoo. Long hours are validated by compelling work.

Cons

There is definitely an "in-crowd" and if you aren't associated with one of these cliques, then there is little chance for advancement. Fit in or get out. Also, there seems to be a never-ending feeling of confusion which can be exciting at times. But generally, it is evident that there is some disorganization within the four-walls of Blue State.

Structure is your friend!

Exciting challenges and smart coworkers

I have been working at Blue State Digital full-time

Pros

Great clients, creative work, and lots of really smart people. There is a lot of opportunity to take on work that interests you, if you're willing to work for it. There's an excitement to take on big challenges and figure out new solutions that I haven't felt in other places.

Cons

Long hours, and no clear route for career advancement.

Great people, annoying codebase

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Boston, MA

I worked at Blue State Digital full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You work with great people!
    Much of the work is for good causes.
    Ping pong.

Cons

The coding paradigm changed from too-sloppy to way-too-rigorous. Jobs that used to take 30minutes now take 3 hours. Young leadership embraces programming fads that would be best used in moderation.
    No profit sharing.

Mission-driven organization, transparent leadership, good career path opportunities

Current Employee - Senior Management Position in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Management Position in New York, NY

I have been working at Blue State Digital full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I've been there for several years, in a management position. Here are some of the things I like: (1) The company has ideals and I feel like it respects them, preferring clients that will be good for the world and for its employees. (2) Culture is healthy and collaborative; people are heard and anyone can contribute. (3) Leadership is transparent; we are kept apprised of how the company is doing. (4) Many of the people in management have been promoted from lower-level positions, and I've enjoyed watching my colleagues grow into jobs with more responsibility.

Cons

Sometimes I feel like there are TOO many people involved in things, so it's hard to make progress. Also, there's way too much cultural reliance on email. (I think the company's trying to change this.)

Blue State Digital Photos