Blue Technologies

Updated December 12, 2014
Updated December 12, 2014
3.2

Paul Hanna

Growing company in a dynamic industry

I have been working at Blue Technologies full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Products and solutions sold to customers are top of the line, best products on market. Company really wants everyone to be successful and the training is extensive. Lots of room for growth as the company expands. Privately owned business for almost 20 years and keeps growing.
    For sales reps there is unlimited earning potential, with lots of ways to earn extra commissions and 2 free trips a year.
    Everyone is friendly and outgoing. It is an environment where employees encourage each other to succeed.

Cons

Must have a strong work ethic to cut it here, no slackers. Sales reps have rigid expectations, and for everyone else the work is fast and steady.
    Holidays and vacation days are less than what most people would consider standard, but there is talk of reviewing these policies. Lack of vacation days can cut into a healthy work-life balance. Although most work days the office clears out by 5:30.

I believe management is warming to the idea of reviewing some of the least popular policies in order to improve retention and I encourage that. For the most part, Blue Technologies is a positive place to work but it would be nice to get more pats on the back for a job well done.

So far it is an ok place

I have been working at Blue Technologies full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I find it interesting that the only 5 star rating of this place is done by someone in Marketing. And there is only one person in Marketing that I am aware of, the daughter of the owner.

It is a workplace intended only for the highly motivated, and so there is great talent across the board.

Cons

They have a difficult time of seeing the great talent. I haven't been here that long but it seems that turnover is quite high. So far the meetings I have had with the leadership have all been a bit berating. They seem to like the tough love approach in getting results, however, that doesn't work for everyone.

Compensation is average, nothing spectacular. I have heard from others that the end of the year bonus is an embarrassment, I will see next year, if I haven't left by then.

Fix the cons.

Successful company that has high standards, great reputation in community

Current Employee - Marketing in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Marketing in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Blue Technologies full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I love the people I work with - all are friendly, knowledgeable about their roles, and dedicated to doing good work. They're always willing to help me out as I've gotten settled in, whether its learning industry terms and technology or just helping me with a paper jam.

They translate this level of excellence to our customers. Blue leadership truly values high business morals, and walks the walk when it comes to the company's "Commitment to Excellence." Those who are willing to uphold these high standards and put in the work necessary to meet sales expectations thrive here, with excellent benefits including commission opportunities, incentive prizes, all-expenses-paid incentive trips, etc.

On the marketing side, the company is very open to fresh perspectives and is striving to stay on top of current trends, as with other areas of the business. I love the collaborative atmosphere and room for creative freedom. The company is in strong growth phrase, and it's exciting to be a part of this momentum! We work hard, but we also have fun!

It's great to be a part of an organization with such a great reputation in the community, as well. When I network, most people tapped into the Cleveland business scene have heard of Blue, and hold it and its leadership in high regard. Blue also has a strong community service tie that adds to this positive image. I'm always proud when I tell people where I work.

Cons

There are clearly set expectations of employees here, particularly sales reps. You need to have the willingness and independent drive to meet quotas, make cold calls, and stay knowledgeable about industry technology. If you don't have that kind of personality and ambition, then this isn't the place for you. And laziness sure won't survive here for long.

Management has made efforts to reexamine policies to "keep up with the times," and has made great strides to appeal to millennials in particular. As a small example, the "panty hose" policy I've seen mentioned on here has been abolished. I look forward to seeing this positive evolution continue!

Tell you one thing at hiring, then do the exact opposite in practice.

I have been working at Blue Technologies

Pros

outside of management influence the work ethic for a vast majority of people and interdependent cooperation is good for the most part.

Cons

Lack of consistent training practices. Putting service technicians in positions they are not properly equipped to handle. Pay is low for the industry as well as no real performance reviews in all the years worked there.

Pay more attention to some departments while giving others the accountability they should have. The blatant favoritism to one particular department is killing the morale for the rest of the company.

Less berating more building

Current Employee - Sales in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Sales in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Blue Technologies full-time (more than an year)

Pros

This company offers a decent salary and carries a good product line. Good facility and entertaining Christmas parties

Cons

Meetings are belittling and upper management beats their people up. A lot of smoke and mirrors in the compensation department

Use constructive criticism to build up your team rather than ripping them down and expecting good results.

You have to love cold calling and trying to sell a technology that no one cares about.

Current Employee - OUTSIDE SALES
    Current Employee - OUTSIDE SALES

I have been working at Blue Technologies full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great bonus structure it seems if you are successful.

Cons

You have to use your own personal laptop and cell phone although they do give you a $50 phone credit.
    They actually have panty hose as part of the dress code and enforce it.
    There is a monthly Wednesday evening meeting for those in Cleveland and quarterly for Columbus office.
    You get 0 vacation or sick days your first year. You can take them unpaid but have to be there for a year to get reimbursed. After a year you only get 5 vacation days and 0 sick days.
    If you leave before I think it is 3 years you forfeit all 401k match.
    You have to do training for a month and have to pass a test. If you do not pass the test within a certain time frame then you are fired. The test is both written and oral. You have to memorize a dozen scripts and repeat them. You also have to memorize a 3 page Commitment to Excellence and repeat that verbatim to pass.
    The turnover rate is ridiculous.
    People are incredibly mean and rude when you are cold calling. You have to have very thick skin to want to go out every day and endure it.
    You also will have to spend a lot of time entering all cold call information from the day from the 30 expected cold calls.
    You are also selling a dying technology which you will be told over and over when you are out cold calling.

Hard work pays off in a growing industry

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Blue Technologies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great comp plan! Great incentive trips. Training and development are a priority. There is always something new to learn. Collaboration of new hires and veteran employees amongst the different divisions is beneficial.

Cons

You have to be self-motivated. The employees that are successful are ambitious and hardworking. If you are just there to collect a basic paycheck... you will not be successful.

A refresh of internal technology and software would help in productivity.

It's a new challenge everyday but the people make it all worth it.

I have been working at Blue Technologies

Pros

It's a wonderful group of people. The management staff across the board are tenured and very good at what they do. We work hard and play harder. Upper management are available and open to hear all suggestions and are now more than ever open to change.

Cons

There is a lot expected of you. We don't accept mediocrity.

Great Place

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Streamwood, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Streamwood, IL

I have been working at Blue Technologies

Pros

Excellent place to work...learned a lot

Cons

Pretty demanding......sometimes management goes to the extreme in trying to make customers happy....even when the customers are unreasonable.

rewarding, challenging and an environment of great co-workers

I have been working at Blue Technologies

Pros

This is a workplace where people who want to work on a winning team are united. It is a "roll up your sleeves and get dirty" mentality due to the company's Commitment to Excellence. This is embraced from the warehouse to the service to the sales team.

The company also has recently invested in consultants to help perpetuate development of both management teams and training programs.

Cons

If you are not ready to commit yourself 100%, you will easily stand out.

Looking forward to benefitting from all of the new development programs that are currently being rolled out.

Blue Technologies Photos

President Paul Hanna and Beth Palamara with the Giving Tree for the Berea Children
Technology Showcase