Blue (UK) Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.4
CEO

1. Glad I gave Blue a chance!

Current Employee - Account Manager in Schaumburg, IL
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Schaumburg, IL

I have been working at Blue (UK) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I love the team environment here at Blue. Reaching the next step of advancement is all about hitting your goals. Put in the effort and you can get where you want to go. Here you can get the experience you need especially as a new college grad. I love the work events we have like our office nights. It allows you to get to know your co-workers and have fun at work.

Cons

Sometimes I work a little later to hit my goals, but I know if I work on my time management, I can hit my goals in even less than my scheduled hours.

2. Fun people who will suck you in with "culture" and unethical recruiting/hiring practices.

I worked at Blue (UK) part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The culture is fun and exciting

Cons

Lying to potential employees about the role and compensation Somewhat of a cult feel (culture is fun, but forced and necessary to keep people around) Unrealistic expectations given to employees Cydor (the parents company) practices, in general, are not great

Advice to Management

Be upfront with the role during the hiring process. Job descriptions are incredibly deceptive and interviews are not any better. People are less likely to leave if the come in knowing exactly what to expect. Lying does not do you any favors.

A great learning experience for recent grad

Pros

This was the first job interview I received out of college with a history major from a mediocre university. I put up my resume on monster.com and received a phone call for this company the next day. I was excited by the job description saying it was a great opportunity for recent graduates looking for work. When I went into the interview I quickly realized the job description was extremely misleading. They sold themselves as an ad agencies however it became obvious it was a door to door sales position. I highly recommended recent graduate take the interview to realize this type of scam that is very common with companies posting on hiring sites.

Cons

Do not be fooled by the job description

Advice to Management

It's wrong how you are misleading honest people looking for work. I believe you should be more straight forward with your job description. You are wasting many people's money and time.

Are you funny??

I worked at Blue (UK) full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

People are nice. Not much else

Cons

Deceptive company. They target recent college grads with catchy slogans claiming they are hiring for a management position. In reality it is 60+ hours of commission based door to door sales.

Advice to Management

Be more transparent

Working at Blue Inc.

Pros

It was a cool enviornment and challenging. I worked there for 8 months and was promoted in just 13 days to be a leader. It simple, hit your sales goal and you will go to leadership. In leadership you will learn to teach and coach others.

Cons

They make you believe it is much more then what it really is. They call it a "management training program" but in reality you spend 3 hours in meetings in the morning getting brainwashed with the same sales techniques. They call it "being replicable" I call it brainwashing to make us all the same. They tell you about how much money you can make in such a short time. I was the top sales guy there many weeks and never made over $400 a week (usually 60+ hours). Actually, I made more than $400 a week but had to split my commission with the people I trained. They did nothing but watch most of the time. The other 7 hours a day are spent knocking on doors selling ATT Uverse. It is true cold calling. Builds thick skin because you get yelled at a bunch. This would be a great job if you like working long hours, not getting paid much, not seeing your family/significant other, and being the 2% who become an office manager and make 70-80k by putting people through the aforementioned.

Advice to Management

Be honest.

It was a good first job

Former Employee - Account Representative in Schaumburg, IL
    Former Employee - Account Representative in Schaumburg, IL

Pros

everyone is young, so the atmosphere was good. No one was looking over my shoulder to make sure I was working. I liked that I got paid weekly, made the week easier to deal with, knowing I'd be paid on Friday.

Cons

I was not a fan of working Saturdays. Some of the training sessions become pretty repetitive. Some of the clients aren't always the nicest to deal with, but that can happen anywhere.

8. Trainee Manger

Former Employee - Management Trainee in Corby, Northamptonshire, East Midlands, England (UK)

I worked at Blue (UK) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Making people smile by making them look nice

Cons

They don't pay you your over time.

Advice to Management

Learn to communicate

9. Not the best retail job

Current Employee - Sales Advisor in Romford, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Advisor in Romford, England (UK)

I have been working at Blue (UK) part-time

Pros

A decent place to work while you are studying. If you want to progress, you will be given opportunities.

Cons

Salaries are very poor in general. Head office issues the in-store teams with repetitive menial tasks which lower staff morale e.g. asking that prices be changed from 8.00 to 7.99 - this can be a job of a few hours as someone has to go round with a pen and change them all for the sake of a penny. The following week staff will be asked that the prices revert to their original price. Staff are given opportunities to progress but the additional responsibility is not compensated well and so many staff choose to stay at a lower rank. Overtime is not paid for full-time staff. The higher ups will promote young people aged 17+ to management after working as little as a year on the company - often they lack the maturity/skills to carry these roles out professionally. The store budgets are so low that the store is expected to run on 2 or 3 staff at given points in the day which isn't enough.

Advice to Management

To be a bit more selective about who is promoted to management. Allocate more staff to each store. Be more reasonable about the tasks set to stores with regard to visual merchandising, pricing, changing offers.

10. Store Assistant

Pros

The people you work with are great people.

Cons

Ended up working full time hours instead of part time when I am only 17, didn't get paid for any of the extra hours I worked as the manager did not write them down and it is my word against his.

Advice to Management

Record the extra time employees work so everyone gets paid correctly.

11. Great people, poorly run company

Current Employee - Merchandising in Walthamstow, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Merchandising in Walthamstow, England (UK)

I have been working at Blue (UK) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice and friendly atmosphere, 50% discount

Cons

Old system, no career progression, no salary increases, poor holiday allowance, no sick pay, poor location to work

Advice to Management

Value your staff, give them appropriate training to progress, invest in some decent systems, treat each department the same

RSS Feed </> Embed