Blue Valley Unified School District

3.5

Tom Trigg

Awesome place to work

I have been working at Blue Valley Unified School District

Pros

Great place to work. Great school district with great teachers and students. Love my coworkers.

Cons

No challenges working at the different school events.

Great job!

LOVE IT!

Current Employee - Accounting Specialist in Overland Park, KS
    Current Employee - Accounting Specialist in Overland Park, KS

I have been working at Blue Valley Unified School District full-time (more than an year)

Pros

1) I really enjoy the team I work with.
    2) Casual atmosphere
    3) A little bit of flex time when you need it
    4) Non dramatic team

Cons

1) Obviously pay because this is a school district. We do receive raises (not much), but that all epends what the budget looks like. I love my team so it really helps!

None

Good school district

I have been working at Blue Valley Unified School District full-time

Pros

The district has great resources and excellent parent involvement.

Cons

The district does not follow policies consistently when working with parents. There is not a big emphasis on teacher development.

Education beyond expectations!

Former Employee - Assistant Debate Coach in Overland Park, KS
    Former Employee - Assistant Debate Coach in Overland Park, KS

I worked at Blue Valley Unified School District as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Blue Valley Cares about their students
    Other teachers care about the students
    Flexible work schedule

Cons

The state government sadly does not care about Blue Valley
    The district is financially struggling

Convince people to elect a different governor

It was wonderful for many years until the last 2 years where I was stalked, defamed, terrorized, and life threatened

Former Employee - Business/Computer Teacher in Overland Park, KS
    Former Employee - Business/Computer Teacher in Overland Park, KS

I worked at Blue Valley Unified School District full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Relationships with students, changing pace every day, planning, leading, managing, and teaching different computer and business classes, working with parents and other staff for ALL students and their needs.

Cons

Administration and district office never backed me up over the last few years especially with the student who did mental warfare on me and defamed me to other students and another teacher and finally began threatening my life and my families' lives. They tried to bury it and put a lid on it and it just got worse and I feared for my safety and felt they did not take it serious though she's done so much to back up her threats and then she started do things when she found my sister on Google images and also my daughter. The newer administration is inept and not organized or really seeing all that goes on.

Work together better. Treat teachers with respect and get to know them and protect them in any situation. Get organized and seriously - pull it together!

As an assistant to a variety of teachers, I gained an insight within the educational industry I will cherish.

Former Employee - Paraprofessional in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Paraprofessional in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Blue Valley Unified School District full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I enjoyed working with children of all ages and learning skills.

Cons

Working with children with autism was quite a challenge and difficult due to physical issues.

As a Paraprofessional, I was paid the same amount per hour as an employee who had been employed for a longer period of time. This was especially troubling for the unique employee that had worked within the UPLIFT Program which works with autistic children. These are children that can be physically aggressive, not only to themselves but others. Paraprofessionals who work more than one year within this position should be entitled to a raise based on their experience and job performance.

Great people to work with

Current Employee - Campus Police Officer in Overland Park, KS
    Current Employee - Campus Police Officer in Overland Park, KS

I have been working at Blue Valley Unified School District full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Family orientated, pretty good benefits, and work hours. The people you work with are the best and they really care about you.

Cons

No pay raises, no merit raises, if is hard to make a living on one income with this job. The salary is not enough to sustain an individual let alone a family. Unless you are a teacher getting a higher education does nothing for you but put you in debt.

No available upward movement unless you are a teacher

Grossly Underpaid, Not Valued

Pros

Great people to work with, co-workers supportive and positive. I work in the District Office.

Cons

Horridly underpaid, never give raises (co-workers have not gotten a raise in over 5 years), never even given the courtesy of being interviewed for positions applied for, even within my own department.

Pay your staff what they are worth. You have or will lose 2 out of 3 in my department this month due to low pay.

Very good school system, denizens a bit snobby

Former Employee - Substitute Teacher
    Former Employee - Substitute Teacher

I worked at Blue Valley Unified School District part-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Competitive salary
    - Nice location
    - Ample access to resources, state-of-the-art technology, expert people
    - Plenty of opportunity to work

Cons

- Snobby environment (i.e. "THE Johnson County rich kids" attitude)

Very rewarding

Current Employee - Special Education LIFT Para Educator in Overland Park, KS
    Current Employee - Special Education LIFT Para Educator in Overland Park, KS

I have been working at Blue Valley Unified School District full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great place to work. The staff work together to make the education cohesive for everyone. The staff cares about its teachers and students.

Cons

I need a place that has possibilities of advancement. A job that has better compensation.