BlueCross BlueShield of South Carolina

Updated October 20, 2014
Updated October 20, 2014
3.3

David S. Pankau

Pros
  • The company offers real good benefits, with decent room from advancement (in 10 reviews)

• In some areas, there is a great work-life balance (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Processes are too antiquated and are full of red tape, which tends to hinder progress (in 5 reviews)

• Senior management in I/S has a strong tendency to micromanage across very large departments and as a result often get lost in details (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

My time with the company has been really good, it has been a real learning experience.

Current Employee - Claims Processor II in Florence, SC
    Current Employee - Claims Processor II in Florence, SC

I have been working at BlueCross BlueShield of South Carolina full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company offers real good benefits, with decent room from advancement.

Cons

The party is not what you would expect to start.

Excellent Company to Grow With

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, SC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, SC

I have been working at BlueCross BlueShield of South Carolina full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Pay and benefits are great. I plan to retire from this company. We get an honest day's pay for an honest day's work. In some areas, there is a great work-life balance.

Cons

Management styles are not cohesive. Some managers will throw an employee under the bus to save him or herself, while other managers stand up for the employee 100%. There is a high tolerance for employees who do not do their best every day, while good employees take up the slack.

You have a large percentage of very talented employees. Take a hard look at middle management to make sure they are doing everything they can for their good employees, while having the freedom to not do as much for underperformers. This is a private business. There does not have to be equality between overachievers and underachievers.

High Stress, Low Pay, Great Benefits

Current Employee - Claims Customer Service Advocate II in Surfside Beach, Horry, SC

Pros

The benefits are better than most offered by other companies in the area. The hours are convenient (the typical 8-5 shift). You start earning paid time off after 30 days of employment. The company values are great and they donate money to various charities in the local community. They also offer perks (like dressing down on Fridays) if you contribute to the selected charity of the month.

Cons

The starting pay is less than desirable and I've only seen a 1% raise each year I've been there. The job is highly stressful and you're required to know a ton of information about many different topics. There are no sick days. The time you earn is used for both sick and personal/vacation days.

Unclear path for promotion

I worked at BlueCross BlueShield of South Carolina

Pros

The people that work there are great.

Cons

Overtime that will surely burn you out.

Promotions and extensive overtime need to be reviewed desperately.

Positive

I have been working at BlueCross BlueShield of South Carolina full-time

Pros

Stable job & nice atmosphere to work in.

Cons

No long term advancement without a degree.

Poor Management

I have been working at BlueCross BlueShield of South Carolina full-time

Pros

None none none none none

Cons

Too to many to list

Quit

Working at BlueCross is an experience

Current Employee - Customer Service Claims Analyst III
    Current Employee - Customer Service Claims Analyst III

Pros

Stable employment in majority areas. Insurance is a need that will not go away. Decent benefit package and tuition reimbursement. Large emphasis on teamwork.

Cons

Without a college degree, no hope of long term advancement. Will be in training for approx six weeks. Job can be stressful, and management can tend to micro-manage at times. Keeping up morale cab be tough if not right manager. Too many chiefs

Front line manager for Java software development

Current Employee - Manager Software Development in Columbia, SC
    Current Employee - Manager Software Development in Columbia, SC

I have been working at BlueCross BlueShield of South Carolina full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Very good a getting new business.

Cons

Very mainframe centric. Political and not easy to change.

Front line managment is very difficult. They don't want you to be technical but only hire technical people. They then hold you responsible for technical decisions.

BCBSSC is one of the best places I have ever worked.

Current Employee - Identity and Access Management Analyst
    Current Employee - Identity and Access Management Analyst

I have been working at BlueCross BlueShield of South Carolina as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

I love working for BCBSSC because the team is like family. The training given here is superb. Everyone shares knowledge rather than hoarding it.

Cons

The team is like family. If the senior member gets frustrated, everyone gets frustrated!

Sometimes there is a little too laid back of an attitude. That is the reason that some people work 70 tickets or 100 tickets in a day while others work only 2 or 3 tickets in an entire day.

Fantastic place to work

Former Employee - Solution Systems Designer in Columbia, SC
    Former Employee - Solution Systems Designer in Columbia, SC

I worked at BlueCross BlueShield of South Carolina full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The management staff of application development areas are concerned not only with providing exceptional service, but also in growing their employees.

Cons

Just like with any IT position, it can be difficult to get upper management to understand technical advances and benefits of doing things outside of standards for situations that are far better with a custom design.