BlueCross BlueShield of Tennessee

www.bcbst.com

BlueCross BlueShield of Tennessee Reviews

Updated Jul 17, 2014
BlueCross BlueShield of Tennessee – “BlueShield BlueCross Tennessee Office”

William M. Gracey

Pros
  • Benefits, compensation, flexibility with work life balance(in 6 reviews)

• Great benefits and competitive salary if you can keep from getting hired in to cheap(in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • hard to move up in the company, or other departments to get out of customer service(in 3 reviews)

• and they need to treat sick people like human beings not as something to push out of the way as quickly as possible(in 2 reviews)

It's OK

CONSUMER ADVISOR (Former Employee)

ProsGreat benefits, including pay.

ConsEntirely too strict on customer service associates.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe realistic with the expectations on customer service. Only a robot can reasonably meet all of the requirements you demand daily.

BCBST

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsDecent pay and work=life balance and benefits

ConsUse to be a pretty stable company to work for years ago, but now with the implementation of Obamacare any position with this company is unstable and seems to be getting worse. There have been many cut backs over the last couple of years. They do not try to keep their best and talented employee's and consider placement in another department within the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo comment

The basic rule at BlueCross is to blame or be blamed for problems.

ProsLarge company type benefits, PTO, exercise equipment onsite, competitive salary and bonuses.

ConsI once was happy to work for BlueCross, I was surrounded good, hardworking people and had hope of advancement and long term employment. My view of BlueCross changed when I witnessed a coworker get fired because their team lead didn't like them. I know for a fact that this person was setup to be fired. I talked to HR about the incident complaining about the injustice, which only resulted in me getting investigated. Basically my disappointment with BlueCross is the atmosphere of negativity. Everyone attempts to deflect blame from themselves to someone else. You constantly have to defend your work from attack from others. Management is so afraid to make a decision that they hold focus groups to make the decisions. In IS the management works in silos, applications development, project management and technology shared services never work together. The rule is to blame someone else and defend yourself.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop acting like you care about your employees. Divisional outings, $35 gift cards, hamburger cookouts are only attempts to try to look like you care. It's tiring to work for a place that pretends they care for you. I'm not stupid, I know your priority is your bonus, stop wasting my time. Unlike you, I don't lie for a living.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I worked at the Buffalo, NY BC/BS location and the job was fine, not enough money and too far to drive

OCR/Repair (Former Employee) Buffalo, NY

ProsThe people I worked with were great; the trainers were wonderful.

ConsTreated like a child when it came to emergency time off. I had a problem one week with a bridge in my mouth that broke and had to go to the dentist every day a for a week and every day had to get a note like a child being sick and going back to school.

Advice to Senior ManagementI understand that things get out of hand when employees take advantage, but not everyone is dishonest. I also had time off scheduled, bought and paid for before I started the job and was told I was going to be allowed to take the time when I told the manager about it BEFORE I was hired. Then after I started the job I was told I couldn't take the time because someone else had it scheduled and only one person could be off at a time.

Great Solid Company with much opportunity

Process Improvement (Former Employee) Chattanooga, TN

ProsBenefits, compensation, flexibility with work life balance. Many opportunities to pursue any type of career within the company. Most everything is in house and not outsourced.

ConsChallenging and demanding environment with healthcare, learn fast, but be ready for change just in case. Lots of regulations depending on the line of business with government contracts. Can have the silo effect when trying to collaborate across business units.

Great place to work for!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Chattanooga, TN

ProsThis is a really good company to work for. Excellent pay and benefit options.

Conshard to move up in the company, or other departments to get out of customer service.

Very fulfilling, never bored, great place to learn, high level of job security

Management (Former Employee) Chattanooga, TN

ProsTuition reimbursement, training, state of the art technology opportunities

ConsTypical large corporate environment and mix of personalities.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's a family, not an employee count. I think this company does a fair job of remembering to consider the welfare of the employees.

Good Place

Senior Project Manager (Former Employee) Chattanooga, TN

ProsGreat place to work for most of the time

ConsBecame too bottom line oriented

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

A good entry-level job, but management needs serious help.

Claims Examiner (Former Employee) Chattanooga, TN

ProsBenefits are great. Health insurance is cheap and good. Tuition reimbursement is always a plus. The workplace itself is absolutely fantastic (the gym is top-notch).

ConsI felt guilty for simply using my paid time off. Management seems, for lack of a better term, clueless- they don't get involved much, and when they do, even the smallest issues turn into huge problems. Advancement is pushed hard as an incentive to perform, but advancement does not actually happen.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease, please- learn to actually manage. Leadership is sorely lacking. Don't try to be parental figures for your works, instead, cultivate a supportive atmosphere and help your employees fulfill their potential.

Family oriented, cutting edge, but still needs improvement.

Human Resources (Former Employee) Chattanooga, TN

ProsIncredible benefits, learning is promoted, management is moving out of the "micro-managing" style into better work/life balance & telework, compensation is fairly in line with market but your relationship with your management greatly impacts your ability to earn more competitively for tenured employees. Very fast paced and for a medium sized company offers lots of technology and on the cutting edge of both programs offered to customers and how employees are treated.

ConsVery difficult to get hired in and "glass ceilings" exist in most areas. The company is not very diverse in who occupies leadership positions with only a single female in the top level of executives.

Worked for BlueCross BlueShield of Tennessee? Contribute to the Community!