BlueCross BlueShield of Tennessee

Updated August 6, 2014
Updated August 6, 2014
3.3

William M. Gracey

Pros
  • Benefits, compensation, flexibility with work life balance (in 6 reviews)

• Great benefits and competitive salary if you can keep from getting hired in to cheap (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • hard to move up in the company, or other departments to get out of customer service (in 3 reviews)

• and they need to treat sick people like human beings not as something to push out of the way as quickly as possible (in 2 reviews)

More Highlights

It's OK

Former Employee - CONSUMER ADVISOR
    Former Employee - CONSUMER ADVISOR

I worked at BlueCross BlueShield of Tennessee full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great benefits, including pay.

Cons

Entirely too strict on customer service associates.

Be realistic with the expectations on customer service. Only a robot can reasonably meet all of the requirements you demand daily.

10 year employee

Current Employee - Project Manager  in  Chattanooga, TN
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Chattanooga, TN

I have been working at BlueCross BlueShield of Tennessee full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Company with direction and focus.

Cons

Resource limitations, competing priorities for management

Flexibility is important

BCBST

I worked at BlueCross BlueShield of Tennessee full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Decent pay and work=life balance and benefits

Cons

Use to be a pretty stable company to work for years ago, but now with the implementation of Obamacare any position with this company is unstable and seems to be getting worse. There have been many cut backs over the last couple of years. They do not try to keep their best and talented employee's and consider placement in another department within the company.

No comment

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I worked at the Buffalo, NY BC/BS location and the job was fine, not enough money and too far to drive

Former Employee - OCR/Repair  in  Buffalo, NY
    Former Employee - OCR/Repair in Buffalo, NY

I worked at BlueCross BlueShield of Tennessee full-time for less than a year

Pros

The people I worked with were great; the trainers were wonderful.

Cons

Treated like a child when it came to emergency time off. I had a problem one week with a bridge in my mouth that broke and had to go to the dentist every day a for a week and every day had to get a note like a child being sick and going back to school.

I understand that things get out of hand when employees take advantage, but not everyone is dishonest. I also had time off scheduled, bought and paid for before I started the job and was told I was going to be allowed to take the time when I told the manager about it BEFORE I was hired. Then after I started the job I was told I couldn't take the time because someone else had it scheduled and only one person could be off at a time.

The basic rule at BlueCross is to blame or be blamed for problems.

I have been working at BlueCross BlueShield of Tennessee

Pros

Large company type benefits, PTO, exercise equipment onsite, competitive salary and bonuses.

Cons

I once was happy to work for BlueCross, I was surrounded good, hardworking people and had hope of advancement and long term employment. My view of BlueCross changed when I witnessed a coworker get fired because their team lead didn't like them. I know for a fact that this person was setup to be fired. I talked to HR about the incident complaining about the injustice, which only resulted in me getting investigated. Basically my disappointment with BlueCross is the atmosphere of negativity. Everyone attempts to deflect blame from themselves to someone else. You constantly have to defend your work from attack from others. Management is so afraid to make a decision that they hold focus groups to make the decisions. In IS the management works in silos, applications development, project management and technology shared services never work together. The rule is to blame someone else and defend yourself.

Stop acting like you care about your employees. Divisional outings, $35 gift cards, hamburger cookouts are only attempts to try to look like you care. It's tiring to work for a place that pretends they care for you. I'm not stupid, I know your priority is your bonus, stop wasting my time. Unlike you, I don't lie for a living.

Great Solid Company with much opportunity

Former Employee - Process Improvement  in  Chattanooga, TN
    Former Employee - Process Improvement in Chattanooga, TN

I worked at BlueCross BlueShield of Tennessee full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Benefits, compensation, flexibility with work life balance. Many opportunities to pursue any type of career within the company. Most everything is in house and not outsourced.

Cons

Challenging and demanding environment with healthcare, learn fast, but be ready for change just in case. Lots of regulations depending on the line of business with government contracts. Can have the silo effect when trying to collaborate across business units.

Great place to work for!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Chattanooga, TN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chattanooga, TN

Pros

This is a really good company to work for. Excellent pay and benefit options.

Cons

hard to move up in the company, or other departments to get out of customer service.

Very fulfilling, never bored, great place to learn, high level of job security

Former Employee - Management  in  Chattanooga, TN
    Former Employee - Management in Chattanooga, TN

I worked at BlueCross BlueShield of Tennessee full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Tuition reimbursement, training, state of the art technology opportunities

Cons

Typical large corporate environment and mix of personalities.

It's a family, not an employee count. I think this company does a fair job of remembering to consider the welfare of the employees.

Good Place

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager  in  Chattanooga, TN
    Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Chattanooga, TN

I worked at BlueCross BlueShield of Tennessee full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great place to work for most of the time

Cons

Became too bottom line oriented

A good entry-level job, but management needs serious help.

Former Employee - Claims Examiner  in  Chattanooga, TN
    Former Employee - Claims Examiner in Chattanooga, TN

I worked at BlueCross BlueShield of Tennessee full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Benefits are great. Health insurance is cheap and good. Tuition reimbursement is always a plus. The workplace itself is absolutely fantastic (the gym is top-notch).

Cons

I felt guilty for simply using my paid time off. Management seems, for lack of a better term, clueless- they don't get involved much, and when they do, even the smallest issues turn into huge problems. Advancement is pushed hard as an incentive to perform, but advancement does not actually happen.

Please, please- learn to actually manage. Leadership is sorely lacking. Don't try to be parental figures for your works, instead, cultivate a supportive atmosphere and help your employees fulfill their potential.

Worked for BlueCross BlueShield of Tennessee? Contribute to the Community!