BlueScope Steel Reviews

Paul O'Malley

1. Career Opportunities

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at BlueScope Steel full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Safety is a priority;
    -Great benefits;
    -Good people to work with and work for;
    -Several career opportunities;
    -Corporate environment that allows for work-life balance

Cons

You have to develop the right contacts and relationships within the company in order to grow

2. Health benefits are poor and cost to employee is ridiculous!

I have been working at BlueScope Steel full-time

Pros

Seems like an nice medium size company to work for.

Cons

I considered accepting a job here. But when you have to pay $367 per month for TWO people, for insurance with LOW reimbursements, they aren't worth considering. I only pay $110 for BETTER coverage at my current job. I will stay on the KS side. At least there I don't have to pay $1K a year in KCMO earning tax, or MO's higher income tax. Not to mention the long commute. I would have to make $14K more than I make now just to break even. Their 401k is good, but not as good as I have now. I guess I will stay put!

3. Slow Movers

I have been working at BlueScope Steel full-time

Pros

Flexible hours, family friendly: I can commit to any kids activity.

Cons

Slow movers, nearly 6 years behind mainstream industry (tech wise)

Advice to Management

I'm not sure human resources understands the idea of mobility and their role in providing information for employee's achieving it.

Completely and solely profit driven, less emphasis on customer service/satisfaction

Former Employee - Sales in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Sales in Kansas City, MO

I worked at BlueScope Steel full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Can make good money if you are commited and work with the right people.

Cons

Few opportunities for women to get into mgmt positions, short term focus, decisions seem to be made a quarter at a time.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing, my current employer is benefiting from your bad decisions, lol.

Great review...laid off a month later

Former Employee - Finance Analyst in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Finance Analyst in Kansas City, MO

I worked at BlueScope Steel

Pros

Good benefits and pay, opportunity for travel, some people seemed to have a lot of access to promotions. Tuition reimbursement was excellent.

Cons

Bluescope is completely numbers driven organization. When the company had one bad quarter, 300 people were cut. Everything there was about maintaining stock price, no long-term thinking at all.

Advice to Management

Improve training, respect the employees, and provide long term value to shareholders rather than using lazy tricks to satisfy commission driven analysts.

7. Good environment

Current Employee - Project Engineer in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Project Engineer in Memphis, TN

I have been working at BlueScope Steel

Pros

It has best work environment. It has balanced work load. They have good management and some very nice people to work with.

Cons

This is after all a manufacturing company and recently there has been lots of plant close and layoffs but some of the work is being outsourced

Advice to Management

Do not outsource technical job related work and do not let people go due to short term dip in the revenue

BlueScope Steel : A Great Place to Work

Former Employee - Power Equipment Operator in Saint Joseph, MO
    Former Employee - Power Equipment Operator in Saint Joseph, MO

I worked at BlueScope Steel

Pros

Extreme professionalism, very employee safety minded, tops in it's field, This is a growing business and shows evidence of continual growth and security.

Cons

Due to seasonal peaks of production, overtime is abundant during periods of personal family activity outside of the workplace thus limiting quality family time.

Advice to Management

Better arrange work load to lessen having to work on holiday weekends thus promoting more quality time with family.

9. Good place to work. Volatile industry.

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at BlueScope Steel

Pros

Full of professionals, no cliques, useless gossip, etc. Enjoyable work for a finance professional. Executive team top notch.

Cons

Industry is volatile - highs and lows. Not much to complain about.

Advice to Management

Retain talent even when the going gets tough.

Great people, limited growth and bureaucratic

I worked at BlueScope Steel full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People at Bluescope are generally good to work with. A LOT of employees have been in the company a long time so know the place backwards. Great place if you are patient for promotion. Pay can be misleading during offer if you think it will be an accurate measure of your job responsibility i.e. it is high compared to expectations around decision making in other businesses

Cons

Very bureaucratic - especially HR. Very few people in HR in Bluescope have worked anywhere else so pretty limited view points of the world and no strong desire for change. Lack of HR flexibility and transparency. Career progression is limited and people will typically leave for promotion. Turnover in senior roles very low so opportunities don't come up often. it is manufacturing centric so you have to sell what ever gets made.

Advice to Management

management needs to be more serious about diversity and not just gender. HR team needs some diversity in experiences outside bluescope. Current HR practices are fairly archaic and patronising of employees.

11. Worked for 4 years

I worked at BlueScope Steel

Pros

There are good quality transactions and wide range of different jobs available. Generally people are friendly. There is a large mix of experience. The level of compensation is around market average. Bonuses are not possible at the moment given the financial status of the company.

Cons

Work life balance is average, there is no opportunity for flexible working arrangements even in exceptional cases. There is little diversity. Office culture is generally friendly and collaborative. Opportunity for promotion are very limited.

Advice to Management

Need more succession planning and better communication with employees. A real commitment to diversity needs to be made to ensure higher efficiency and value of long term employees, particularly women with young children (this is a temporary state). Executive management very good. lower levels of management not so good.

RSS Feed </> Embed