Bluegreen Vacations

Bluegreen Vacations Reviews

Updated December 15, 2014
Updated December 15, 2014
2.6

Bluegreen Vacations President and CEO John M. Maloney Jr.
John M. Maloney Jr.

Pros
  • Good benefits, 4 weeks paid time off in your first year, vacation perks (in 4 reviews)

• Awesome Co Workers both at the Booth and Bass Pro Shop workers (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management has completely overlooked those who help this site run smoothly (in 8 reviews)

• What does it matter to have good benefits and bad management who cause high turnover (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Not what they appear to be

I have been working at Bluegreen Vacations full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Some really great people who make you feel welcome to the company, but not enough to keep you.

Cons

Very chaotic, Senior Leadership does NOT have a grasp of reality nor do they care about their employees. Company's need to make a profit, that is why they are in business. But Bluegreen treats their people poorly, does not give positive feedback or compliments. They only seem to know how to ridicule and abandon.

To the CEO - re-evaluate your senior leadership team.....they do not support the field employees and spread discontentment. They over promise and consistently under deliver. Their only concern is numbers, numbers....they do not consider the long term effectives of their knee jerk reactions. Extremely poor and ridiculous management in the senior leadership team.

It could be BETTER

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Bluegreen Vacations full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You don't need a hall pass to use the restroom.

Cons

Terrible management - often inexperienced and immature. Lying is standard, on and off the sales floor. They sell the fact when hiring that you earn 4 weeks vacation per year, but they won't approve all the PTO earned, so you lose it at the end of the year. No where to be promoted unless you transfer to a different site. More work for less pay. Haven't given a cost of living increase to admin or resort side staff in over 3 years. Only those working on commission make money here. Upper management has completely overlooked those who help this site run smoothly.

Wake up. Reward all your employees. Everyone should be compensated properly.

Be Careful

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Lincoln, NH
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Lincoln, NH

I worked at Bluegreen Vacations full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Paid training. Full benefits.

Cons

This is not for the faint of heart. Most people never make it through the 3 month trial period to get to have the benefits. Only 2 of the 8 people who did training with me are still there 2 months later. Only 4 of the 12 sales people that were there when I on boarded are still there. I was warned that I needed to have a thick skin as management can be harshly critical. It is performance based and you are only as good as your last sale. Marketing produces a lot of inappropriate leads which can hurt a sales persons numbers. It's supposed to be luck of the draw, but I wouldn't be surprised to find out that the best leads go to the proven producers and the toughest leads go to the new recruits to prove themselves.
    If you are considering this position, do your homework. Go online and read reviews of this company from their vacation owners and employees. There are a lot of unhappy people mixed in with the happy ones.

Improve training and make it consistent so more people have a chance to succeed. Be more supportive in the first 3 months.

Meh.

I have been working at Bluegreen Vacations

Pros

can make money if good at sales

Cons

they will sell you on the job and not tell you what you'll really make

Long hours

Current Employee - Administrative Manager in Saint Augustine, FL
    Current Employee - Administrative Manager in Saint Augustine, FL

I have been working at Bluegreen Vacations full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits, nice people to work with

Cons

Long hours low pay and very little chance for advancement

Admin positions are grossly underpaid

Wonderful company to work for. Great benefits and extremely organized corporate standards and training!

Current Employee - Front Desk Attendant in Williamsburg, VA
    Current Employee - Front Desk Attendant in Williamsburg, VA

I have been working at Bluegreen Vacations full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Office culture is one of unity and positivity. Employees are well looked after and management top notch!

Cons

Customer service is not always the least stressful thing.

Their can always be improvement on the personal growth of employees within the company.

It was ok

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Olathe, KS
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Olathe, KS

I worked at Bluegreen Vacations full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Compensation was decent and you only had to work 32-33 hours to be full time.

Cons

High pressure sales. All they care about it seems is numbers not people.

Poor leadership and values. Stop and help people the management can be very cruel.

Very good experience ..... Fantastic Benefits !

Former Employee - Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Sales Representative

I worked at Bluegreen Vacations full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Above average hourly wage + commission -- if you can sell, you can make money with Bluegreen, Fantastic Benefits -- Health, Dental, Vision, 401K (vested immediately), PTO, Paid Holidays... Nice 'work to life' balance -- as a Sales Rep (in the retail environment) full time is 30 hours a week -- I had time to enjoy my life, while working - a HUGE plus!! I also had the opportunity to work with some fantastic Managers in my store that truly encouraged me and helped me to 'grow' my skills at selling. Thank you all!

Cons

Expect to work weekends and holidays -- it's Sales in a retail environment. My goal when I joined the company was to be promoted into Management. I was told countless times that the company promotes from within and rewards those that put in the work. That may be true in some Regions of the company but in my region, it's pretty much a 'boy's club'. To see others be promoted with no real Sales ability and putting in only minimum effort, it was hard to watch. I DO believe that if you are female, you have a much better chance of being in Management in the South and West Districts.

I believe that you need a much better way of assessing whether someone is ready for management. Having a phone interview with someone who lives in another part of the country and has never met you or watched you work and know what skills you possess is not fair to those that put in the effort every day to prove themselves. I truly felt unappreciated and led on with the 'wonderful opportunities that we have to move into management' speech that Bluegreen preaches. BUT -- I do want to thank you for a wonderful opportunity -- I learned a great deal about selling and interacting with the public, while working with some fabulous people ! and most of all -- thank you for realizing that a certain person at the National level was NOT good for this company. Hallelujah!

Worst job I ever had

Former Employee - OPC in Saint Augustine, FL
    Former Employee - OPC in Saint Augustine, FL

I worked at Bluegreen Vacations part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The best part of this job is going to events and networking with others so that you can get a new job because this job will not last long. Also the schedule is very flexible, no problem getting certain days off.

Cons

Management horrible and mislead me and co-workers about job. Nobody could tell me my benefits, signed up for full time position but had part time hours. The locations we had were horrible and only a certain demographic of people are interested in doing this preferably the 25-40 range. My manger was a compulsive liar and I have nothing positive to say about this job. Stay far far away from Bluegreen Vacations

Disgusting management in Vegas

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Bluegreen Vacations full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good pay and benefits and vacation benefits on paper but you never get to use them.

Cons

The management team sexually harass its females. They are very clique oriented and take kick backs from the reps that get the best tours. When somebody does well, they talk terribly abut the reps behind their backs. Jealousy and a nit picky environment make for a high level of stress and discomfort. The grown ups act like children with no oversight. And WORST OF ALL...when the upper management sees reps are making too much money they come in and reduce the commissions CONSTANTLY to make sure you cannot achieve continued success and bigger bonus checks. They call it a 30 day roll over but we all called it robbery and fraud.

Hurry up and get arrested and let good management in your place. That or just quit.