Bluehost Reviews

Reset
3.7
Mike Olson

1. Featured Review

Overall good place to work

Current Employee - Developer in Orem, UT
    Current Employee - Developer in Orem, UT

I have been working at Bluehost full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people to work with, fun environment, fast paced, working on improving products regularly. Provide a good solution for small business and offer great support.

Cons

Lots of changes going on with integration with parent company. Have lots of different technology and need to move it into a single platform.

May 4, 2015Jr Recruiter

hank you for your review. We are always working to make Bluehost a better place to work.

2. General Review

Current Employee - Web Advisor in Orem, UT

I have been working at Bluehost full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There is a lot of support from your peers and coaches. There is plenty of room for improvement and advancement. Technical expertise is valued and rewarded.

Cons

Relatively strict policy on sick days/doctor's visits. Comparable to many hourly wage jobs. Scheduling can be tough when you first get started, with mandatory weekends upon hire.

Jul 4, 2015Talent Acquisition

Thank you for your review and recommendations. We are always looking to improve and be fair to all of our employees. We invite you to voice your concerns during the open forums that we hold ... More

3. Good Company

Former Employee - Technical Support Agent in Provo, UT
    Former Employee - Technical Support Agent in Provo, UT

I worked at Bluehost full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They had a good culture and cared about their employees. They provided a few items of different varieties of food, the only stipulation was restraint on the employee's part. One to three items per day per person (depending on the items taken). Various activities, some of which were for the entire family. Great people to work with and all were very helpful if you had questions. Regular feedback from direct manager assisted with improving in position.

Cons

High learning curve for non-linux based knowledge. Very strict on break and lunch times, its understandable as call volumes are somewhat predictable for certain time frames, but not always possible to go at exactly the scheduled time.

Advice to Management

Keep the bureaucracy and favoritism out of the promotion process. It should be based on merit, abilities, and work ethic.

Meh

I have been working at Bluehost

Pros

Decent staring pay. Opportunity to learn to get a better job.

Cons

Raises are small often not even keeping up with inflation. Stressful with that stress spilling over into you private life.

Advice to Management

Care about the people. Numbers is all you care about. The stock price is not everything.

6. Web Advisor (tech support)

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orem, UT

I have been working at Bluehost full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Their initial training is well-done, and working there teaches you a lot. I wish I would have worked here years ago. The people you'll work with are very willing to help if you don't know something, (as many didn't have much/any technical background beforehand), and I feel like there's quite a bit of camaraderie amongst the support staff. Also, when I clock out, I'm done. I go home, and that's it, which is nice.

Cons

It is a phone job. However, the company really does promote a lot from within, so if phones aren't your thing, you really can move around quite a bit. Most of the "upper-level" technical staff started in support and worked their way up. Due to the nature of the work, you are constantly exposed to people's (mostly self-inflicted) problems, and you learn very quickly that way, so moving up the chain comes very naturally for many who stay there very long.

Advice to Management

I wish we had more ongoing technical training. Past a certain point, it is left to the employee to continue. That's fine, but even short once-monthly trainings on various related subjects would create a much more able workforce

7. It was good times

Current Employee - Systems Administrator in Provo, UT
    Current Employee - Systems Administrator in Provo, UT

I have been working at Bluehost

Pros

Challenging environment. Large physical environment you are responsible of maintaining. Tons of insurmountable mountains there for your tackling.

Cons

Piles of work, not enough time or understanding to get it done.

Advice to Management

get rid if EIG

8. Web advisor

Current Employee - Web Advisor in Orem, UT

I have been working at Bluehost full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They fixed the commission structure so it's easy to make an extra 700/month

Cons

Very rare to have a slow day. Also you don't really get to pick your schedule at first.

Advice to Management

Don't promote based on time promote based on skill and effort

9. A great place to work.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orem, UT

I have been working at Bluehost full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Bluehost is a great place to work because they are the best at what they do. Once you get to know the company and staff you see that they really care about the experience of their employees and customers. The pay and benefits are the best i've seen in the field. Ever since I started working here three years ago the company has continued to improve to offer more services for clients and more benefits and support for employees.

Cons

The corporate structure can be intimidating at times. There is pressure to perform and drive revenue since we are now a publicly traded company. But there are many companies that operate this way as well. This is kind of inevitable. That being said, management tries really hard to overcome this stereotype and to balance shareholder, employee, and customer needs.

May 4, 2015Jr Recruiter

Thank you for your review. There are many changes and improvements coming down from our management.

Technical support is a sales job.

Former Employee - Web Advisor in Orem, UT
    Former Employee - Web Advisor in Orem, UT

I worked at Bluehost full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

High pressure atmosphere where you will learn a lot in a very small amount of time. If you can stick it out, a few years will look great on a resume. A great entry level 'stepping stone' IT position.

Cons

Sales motivated technical support. As technical support (web advisor), they force you to 'helpfully' recommend products and put a great deal of passive aggressive weight on making sales. A lot of the products are broken in ways that make you feel like you are scamming the customer. There aren't enough products that will actually help the customer so you'll end up cheating yourself an honest day's pay all of the time to get ahead. If you want to see for yourself how desperate it really is, open a live chat with technical support. Coaches are not technically trained so don't expect to be able to go to a coach for technical advice.

Advice to Management

You're still small town hosting so you might want to dial back the corporate politics until you get more media attention in general. Your coaches should spend equal amounts with their teams as in conference rooms. Right now teams suffer less time supervised and feel very dissociated.

11. Tech Support Engineer

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Littleton, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Littleton, CO

I worked at Bluehost full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay, good training , good management for the most part.

Cons

EIG is doing a lot of things to ruin Bluehost.

RSS Feed </> Embed