Bluestem Brands Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.3
Steve Nave

Pros
  • They allow employees to work from home (in 4 reviews)

• You will work with a lot of hard working individuals, the work/life balance is pretty good, and management genuinely cares about its employees (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Do not see opportunity for growth (in 2 reviews)

• Don't go to HR if you want or need to have a confidential conversation, you're discussion will get back to your manager (in 2 reviews)

1. EComm Team

I have been working at Bluestem Brands

Pros

With the newly acquired company, Orchard Brands, Bluestem Group has a huge opportunity to grow even faster than they have in the past few years. The business outlook is great so far and from eCommerce team perspective things look really positive. The eComm technology team really drives to be a top tier software shop. I love the management in this area and the direction we're heading (continuous delivery). There's no hierarchal management style on this team and when I first started I couldn't tell who were managers or leads because the management culture was that flat. It's also great to be at a smaller company where the culture automatically encourages autonomy and creativity. We're very open to new dev tools, new practices, and technologies. Essentially 0 micro-management. Lots of opportunities to learn for any engineers. Half day Fridays in the Summer

Cons

Space is limited and can get noisy in the open office plan for EComm team but the new office should be ready soon and I think that space will be really impressive.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work and make your employees top priority. Continue to hire genuinely smart people from entry level to executive team.

Targetized

Former Employee - Merchandising in Eden Prairie, MN
    Former Employee - Merchandising in Eden Prairie, MN

I worked at Bluestem Brands full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great benefits, flexible hours, vacation, work from home options and good salary.

Cons

Too many Ex-Target Employees in high positions with an old Target mentality. History at Target has now proven that type of management does not work. They do not value the experience, dedication or loyalty of their employees. Their focus is miss guided by egos and inexperience. Too many talented people are let go or moved into different positions for unjustified reasons. Was a great place to work, just not the place it use to be.

Advice to Management

Be careful who you give the power to. You may end up with nothing but frightened, back stabbing employees. The focus should be on the customer and not the bottom line.

3. Used to be a great place, but it evolved into a place with too much politics and few is actually working

Former Employee - Senior Credit Analyst in Eden Prairie, MN
    Former Employee - Senior Credit Analyst in Eden Prairie, MN

I worked at Bluestem Brands

Pros

The work schedule is flexible so you can have a decent work-life balance. The best thing is the summer hour schedule where you can have Friday afternoon off. Overall the company provides decent compensation and benefit package.

Cons

In one department, there are 6 VPs, 6 Directors, 3-4 Managers/Senior Managers, 3-4 Analysts. You see the problem? Most of them spend most of their time fighting for credits and territories, not doing much actual work.

destined to be target junior

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eden Prairie, MN

I have been working at Bluestem Brands (More than 3 years)

Pros

Growing company that's making money.

Cons

New Leadership predominately from Target-they are busy filling the ranks with their old cronies and running everything like Target. If you're not from Target and don't play the Target fast fun friendly game you aren't going anywhere.

Advice to Management

Bring in Merchandising leadership from other companies then Target. Embrace who our customer base is and what they want. Not everyone wants to be trendy.

Good Company

Current Employee - Demand Planner/Inventory Analyst in Eden Prairie, MN
    Current Employee - Demand Planner/Inventory Analyst in Eden Prairie, MN

I have been working at Bluestem Brands full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible working, relaxed atmosphere, great coworkers and management.

Cons

Salary doesn't match industry. Not much for career advancement currently.

Jun 9, 2015 – Manager Talent Acquisition

Your feedback is valuable. We hope to provide more career opportunities as we grow. We do check the market frequently for both incentive and salary comparisons. Please contact HR if you have ... More

Great place!

Current Employee - Director in Eden Prairie, MN
    Current Employee - Director in Eden Prairie, MN

I have been working at Bluestem Brands full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Exciting work to be done! Tremendous growth is occurring, leaving employees with unique and exciting business challenges to solve. Never a dull day! Fulfilling growth within position that can lead to advancement.

Cons

The building's temperature control and parking needs improvement. Other than that, I think this place is great to work for!

Advice to Management

Explain the "why" and "how" behind decisions more frequently to fully engage the workforce as a whole. Help employees understand how they can continue their career growth within the position they have if an immediate promotional opportunity is not available.

Jun 9, 2015 – Manager Talent Acquisition

Your input is valuable to us. Thanks for providing us with your feedback!

Maturing Company

Current Contractor - Business Analyst in Eden Prairie, MN
    Current Contractor - Business Analyst in Eden Prairie, MN

I have been working at Bluestem Brands as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

As a BA contractor this is my view of BSB: - Willing to change their business process - Team members are willing to help new employees

Cons

- Not much system documentation - Growing pains - Lack of accountability - Company verbiage is ambiguous depending on departments - Scope change - Business does not trust IT

Advice to Management

Find BA's that are willing to document the current/future business process flow. This should help new employees.

Those who leave often want to come back.

Current Employee - IT Support in Eden Prairie, MN
    Current Employee - IT Support in Eden Prairie, MN

I have been working at Bluestem Brands full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Strong leadership, comfortable, flexible environment

Cons

Building climate control and parking after 9am

Advice to Management

Reduce the number of contractors

Jun 9, 2015 – Manager Talent Acquisition

Thanks for your note! As you probably know, we are going to move into a new building next year and can't wait to share more details with employees as soon as we nail down the new location. This ... More

Good company to work for.

Current Employee - Marketing Analyst in Eden Prairie, MN
    Current Employee - Marketing Analyst in Eden Prairie, MN

I have been working at Bluestem Brands full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexibility and great culture. Good coworkers and easy to associate with. Upper management are really transparent when it comes to sharing info. All is done rapidly

Cons

Benefits might need some improvements but overall good. Salaries are a bit lower because of all the benefits and extra activities to encourage communication and friendship

Advice to Management

Appreciate your employess right away and not after waiting too many years. Do not loose employees and regret it after they leave. That cause more stress to team members and more people that wants to quit someday.

Jun 9, 2015 – Manager Talent Acquisition

Thanks for letting us know, we evaluate our benefits and pay every year and want to make sure we are compensating our people in many ways, including flexibility. We will keep working to improve and ... More

Not what it once was

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eden Prairie, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eden Prairie, MN

I worked at Bluestem Brands full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They allow employees to work from home. They are reasonably flexible on workday schedule. All employees are eligible to receive bonuses, even hourly workers.

Cons

The people doing the grunt work usually don't receive the praise they deserve. It seems the wrong people receive advancement. Unfair work distribution.

Advice to Management

The Marketing Department meetings are a complete waste of time.

RSS Feed </> Embed