Bluestem Brands

www.bluestembrands.com

Bluestem Brands Reviews in Eden Prairie, MN

Updated Jul 23, 2014
Bluestem Brands – US – “Office”

Bluestem Brands – US – “Office”

Steve Nave

16 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

High growth, fast paced company with great business model and smart people throughout

Manager (Current Employee) Eden Prairie, MN

ProsGreat, energetic leadership that starts at the top. The business model is brilliant and sustainable and built to tough in the competitive retail sector. There is a strong entrepreneurial spirit and energy amongst the teams which contributes to an exciting and fun

ConsThere is a lot of work to do in a small annual window. Company is (appropriately) hyper-focused during Holiday period but this create a burdensome pace of work up until that time when it all seems to halt in support of holiday period. This creates a bit of a crazy, hectic atmosphere during the other 6-7 months of the year. Combined, there is no real 'downtime.' Furthermore, the lean staffing model is hard on the team and morale due to the aforementioned. Leadership could stand to be more compassionate, empowering and trusting toward team and managers to set priorities, hire talent and manage workload.

Advice to Senior ManagementEase up. Let your leaders lead. Focus consistently on the strategic level across departments and let/trust that your teams are smart, capable and can get things done. Award people more consistently for hard work.

Looking for some positive changes in this company

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Eden Prairie, MN

ProsSome good people who work hard, but do not have the tools to work smart. The CEO is trying to move to organization in the right direction, new COO is making some good changes I believe, flexibility to work from home.

ConsSome Directors level managers do not provide directions. Lot of pressure going on currently. There is no use going to HR, any conversation you have will get back to your manager. HR do not support employees. Any confidential conversation you have with your HR will be discussed with your manager. Do not see opportunity for growth. Top level management should get their attension as soon as possible.

Advice to Senior ManagementTop level management - please look into this situation. Hire experienced People who manage their emotions very well.

Not a place that you want to work!

Manager (Current Employee) Eden Prairie, MN

ProsHigh energy, some good people who work hard, but don't necessarily have the tools to work smart. The CEO is trying to move to organization in the right direction

ConsUpper management sucks at the director level. No direction, undefined roles, trying to figure things out as they go. Don't go to HR if you want or need to have a confidential conversation, you're discussion will get back to your manager. Certain departments manage by fear and there is no opportunity for growth, very few have the opportunity to work on special projects as some in upper management should be managing instead of doing all of the work, just so they look good in the eyes of the CEO. There is a very contentious relationship between departments (creative and merchandising) and until they get this figured out, they will continue to struggle to meet new goals outlined by the CEO.

Advice to Senior ManagementHold your mid-level managers accountable to manage their direct reports and allow them to grow as individuals. If they're thinking about their future, the director of a department should never ask, "do you need to think about the future now"

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great coworkers

Marketing Manager (Current Employee) Eden Prairie, MN

ProsBluestem is a great place to work with good flexibility and great coworkers. I routinely see dedication above and beyond from all levels. There is good communication from management about priorities and the direction that the company is taking.

ConsWe are in the middle of multiple large, multi-year projects to upgrade various systems, and it's taxing everyone's enthusiasm and energy.

Advice to Senior ManagementHelp define the benefits of Apollo, Atlas, etc. more clearly for the average analyst who is putting in a lot of effort without necessarily clearly understanding the reasons for these projects.

Frustrated by lack of upward mobility

Analyst (Current Employee) Eden Prairie, MN

ProsThe people are great
    Managers are wonderful, driven, intelligent people
    Flex work arrangement is wonderful
    The casual dress is nice
    No micromanaging here
    Encouraged to come up with solutions to various problems creatively
    Great work - life balance

ConsNo upward mobility at all which is a shame since that's why I wanted to work here.
    Outside hiring is preferred over internal candidates, overwhelmingly.
    There lacks any training or development to help employees advance to next level even if they get repeatedly high reviews.
    With new growth communication has been pretty awful, systems have been changed with no insight from the users who actually use them, the current massive systems projects are not well communicated to the broad user group and there's been occasions where people have transitioned jobs or left the company and no one communicated it which just leads to undermining gossip.
    There is a rush to grow as fast as possible with little regard to employee workloads and morale or system limitations.
    Pay in some areas could still be better
    Cafeteria and gym are awful, including these as benefits is laughable

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you want to retain employees you can't outside hire for every position just because there's a multitude of desperate, recently laid off, overqualified candidates available from other retailers in Minnesota.

Great place to work

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Eden Prairie, MN

ProsFlexible company, strong management, well run company, great employees

ConsLimited career movement and Minnesota winters

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work

Huge opportunity for those willing to grab it

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Eden Prairie, MN

ProsA reasonable senior leadership team that listens
    Flexible work schedule
    1/2 day Fridays during the summer
    Tons of growth
    A data driven culture that also thinks about our customers
    Lots of great people trying to do big things
    A desire to do right by employees and shareholders
    Small enough company that you can have access to the right people, make decisions, and get moving
    Casual dress

ConsCan be hard to get people thinking in new ways
    We're not big enough to have obvious promotion opportunities for everyone who needs them
    Not as many bathrooms as I'd like
    The cafeteria is not awesome

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to be transparent, open, and focused.

Work hard, play hard

Director (Current Employee) Eden Prairie, MN

ProsI love this fast paced company. We are empowered to be creative, bring forth ideas and make a difference. Experiencing growth and lots of new initiatives. New CEO is focused on transparency and doesn't just talk the talk, he walks the walk.

Can't beat 1/2 day Fridays in the summers!

ConsMore difficult to take public transportation, but free parking!!

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to be focused on the open communication.

Contractor view of company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Eden Prairie, MN

ProsFast growing company without direction. This company appears to have alot of potential for growth.

ConsThis is a growing company that doesn't know what hit them. They are stuck in antiquated ways of doing things. Long-term employees have a problem changing and moving forward in their thinking. This is hindering the company from doing things in an effective and efficient manner.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire forward thinking people who aren't afraid to make changes for the better. Involve people who actually do the job when deciding on changes or enhancements to administrative systems.

Great place to chart your own course and create your own success

Manager of People (Current Employee) Eden Prairie, MN

ProsHigh level of empowerment from senior leadership. It's nice to find an environment where you can use and build your skills and even venture into new areas. People work hard but the environment is collaborative, not competitive. People are smart and helpful. I feel like my ideas are listened to and considered. Very team-oriented.

ConsParking is rough, especially when there are big snowbanks.

Worked for Bluestem Brands? Contribute to the Community!