Bluetooth SIG Reviews

1.7

CEO

Inefficient work processes

I worked at Bluetooth SIG full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

CostCo snacks, kayaks, bikes, location

Cons

In spite of agile environment, little development gets done compared to what is needed.

Remove the "Bluetooth Staff" parking spaces. Devote more energy to influencing members and less time to marketing the products. Manufacturers are doing that well enough.

Awesome technology to be in, highly dysfunctional management.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Kirkland, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kirkland, WA

I have been working at Bluetooth SIG full-time

Pros

In the next 5 years Bluetooth will play a major role in the IoT, so this is a very exciting time to be working in and around Bluetooth.

Cons

As a non-profit the Bluetooth SIG reports to a board of directors, which is made up of mostly low to mid level managers. The committees are run by the same people that have been around for almost 10 years, so it's very political. Many of those people are keeping the technology from evolving at the pace of the market, but they can't be fired.

Be bold in your actions. The ED needs to get out of the weeds and be a leader.

Look elsewhere

I worked at Bluetooth SIG full-time

Pros

Waterfront office; lots of snacks, and birthday parties. Other than that, I'm at a loss. Workspace was quiet.

Cons

The company was very volatile, and there was very little direction from the C-level execs and above. It was a mystery as to what some of them did. Compensation, and benefits were also below the area norm.

Figure out what the SIG's objectives are, and plan projects accordingly. It's really that simple; when I worked there, I was never sure what value the SIG was adding to the Bluetooth ecosystem.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Low pay, long hours, terrible code base

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer  in  Kirkland, WA
    Former Employee - Software Development Engineer in Kirkland, WA

I worked at Bluetooth SIG full-time for less than a year

Pros

I honestly can't think of anything I really enjoyed about working there. They had a nice Christmas party i guess?

Cons

Their code base is written in an outdated version of TTCN and there is no documentation so it is very difficult to figure out how to use it. And most of the existing code is broken so there is not much to look at for examples either. Also, the IDE that you have to use there will give you a headache every day.
    The managers want everything done in much too short of a time frame with hardly any people on the team.
    Half the code is unable to be tested because they don't have the correct devices to do so.

Either extend the time frame or hire more people. And invest in an upgrade to a language that is actually still used.

Worked for Bluetooth SIG? Contribute to the Community!