Blum Shapiro Reviews

Carl R. Johnson

1. A Learning Experience

Current Employee - Audit Staff in West Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - Audit Staff in West Hartford, CT

I have been working at Blum Shapiro full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great opprotunities for learning, good structure for advancement if you pass the cpa exam and good feedback on a regular basis. Given alot of responsibility quickly. Can advance quickly if you are willing to work hard.

Cons

The work life balance is rough, but this is true with any public firm. From what i hear, switching firms means the same amount of hours even though they may promise

Could be worse, But could be much better as well...

Current Employee - Staff/Senior Audit in West Hartland, CT
    Current Employee - Staff/Senior Audit in West Hartland, CT

I have been working at Blum Shapiro full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

"Flexible hours" during down periods (which in recent times has been shrinking... see "3 busy seasons" E-Mail from HR and leadership... ) which allows you to play around with your work schedule if something were to come up and you needed to leave early or take a day off. The ability to work from home is always a plus. Great core of young people all starting out with you, experiencing similar things in the industry/life/cpa status etc.

Cons

Good Employees are worked to the bone. Leaving the best talent burnt out, frustrated, and disgruntled.

The work from home ability is sometimes taken too far, as some managers have unreal expectations on employees working after normal business hours/weekend. Direct quote from a manager when a senior mentioned they were concerned about the amount of work on their plates and respective deadlines- "Well you know there is always time between 8 PM and 6 AM" . Work life balance does not exist at times.

HR is much more reactive then proactive when it comes to salary and current prevailing wage rates for public accountants. In the time I was there, there were a few mini-scandals related to salaries that caused havoc for the company.

For the pressure put on the employees from management regarding obtaining the CPA (major part of every semi-annual performance review) , Blum is not competitive what so ever in terms of rewarding employees for accomplishing this goal. While I understand they are not "Big 4" -which gives rewards of $5k bonuses and an extra weeks vacation for successfully passing all 4 parts of the CPA exam, as the largest CPA firm in the New England area, they should do a little better than a $100 bottle of champagne (which they tax you on by the way) and a day off. Not to mention there is no pay bump for a senior who becomes a CPA either. Meaning Senior CPAs at Blum could be making as little as $55k a year... I'd assume the fair market value of CPAs would be much greater...

Stay competitive with salary, and better monitor your employees work schedules/hours or you will most definitely loose your top people.

Great Company to work for!!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Hartford, CT

I have been working at Blum Shapiro (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great work - life balance. And a great Managing Partner!!

Cons

As with any public accounting firm, sometimes it really gets too busy and you wish there was a way to spread out the work throughout the year. But it's still not bad compared to what I have heard about culture of working late hours at other accounting firms

There is lack of clear communication in terms of roles and responsibilities between the Partner and the Manager group. That needs to be improved. Also, training at staff level needs to be improved.

5. Great place to work

Former Employee - Consulting Director in West Hartford, CT
    Former Employee - Consulting Director in West Hartford, CT

I worked at Blum Shapiro full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

employee focused, great benefits, flexible working hours, great location. People are great to work with.

Cons

a little to bottom line driven which affects investments and long term decision making. Not very clear on how you advance in the organization

Stay with your ideas a little longer, try to work closer together among the divisions

6. Great Place to Work

I worked at Blum Shapiro full-time

Pros

It is a very professional atmosphere where people work hard, but also respect people's needs and desires to balance work and family. The benefits are excellent. There are alot of perks with great coffee selection, massages, flu shots, and going out to lunch on the company dime. Also very good training.

Cons

In addition to good work, advancement requires building strong relationships with the partners. Ultimiately you must build your own book of business and have those relationships achieve partnership.

Don't be afraid of risks.

Don't waste your time here

Former Employee - Staff in West Hartford, CT
    Former Employee - Staff in West Hartford, CT

I worked at Blum Shapiro full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The location is good and the company provides free parking in a secure garage. They have a good selection of snacks and coffee. Yes, those were the only "pro's"

Cons

Management and communication is very weak and it seems they are incapable of making decisions. The ones the do make leave a person wondering exactly what they could be thinking. Pay is very low and benefits aren't too great either, the insurance premiums are high and coverage is awful. Vacation time is stingy. People don't tend to stick around long, its like a revolving door policy there - they use you up then spit you out making room for the next person willing to work for peanuts.

The work environment isn't very pleasant either, old cubicles, kitchens that never seem to get cleaned and the people are generally a bunch of snobs that one would be better off going a lifetime without meeting.

The review process is a joke and the raises - what raises?

Take a good look at the market value of the positions you're hiring for - it might surprise you to see what you should be compensating your employees. Encourage your partners and managers to treat others with respect no matter what their position within the firm. Treat your employees equally - way to many "exeptions" for the favorites that aren't allowed for other employees.

8. Not sure what’s wrong with all of these people

Current Employee - Experienced Staff Accountant in West Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - Experienced Staff Accountant in West Hartford, CT

I have been working at Blum Shapiro full-time (more than a year)

Pros

This is a great place to work with good smart people. Partners and managers are good to work for and the work is interesting. The culture here is nice and comfortable and I’ve made a lot of friends here.

Cons

There are times that my schedule hasn’t had wrap up time. It can be difficult to go from one job to another but I do feel like I have places to go when I feel like I can’t handle it. Changes have been made to my schedule to lighten my load in these cases.

None

Okay

Former Employee - Senior Accountant in Hartford, CT
    Former Employee - Senior Accountant in Hartford, CT

I worked at Blum Shapiro full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Some great partners/managers - if you work for a good partner/manager your experience will be a positive one. If not, it won't be so great.

Cons

So many changes in HR department that you couldn't keep track of who to go to for what. Raises were good when I first started then slowly got worse and worse. Definitely favoritism according to who you know.

Firm has a "small town" feel to it. Need to "up their game" to be a more enticing company to work for.

Middle-Market Client Exposure

Former Employee - Accountant in West Hartford, CT
    Former Employee - Accountant in West Hartford, CT

I worked at Blum Shapiro full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Since smaller firm you have direct access to Partners. Flexible work schedules depending on who you work you. Friendly environment. Most travel is in-state so rarely have to do any overnight travel.

Cons

Required to work overtime during certain busy seasons. Promotions not always done fairly....depends alot on who you report to.

Acknowledge high performing and talented individulas or they will leave your firm.

My experience showed signs of promise but was ultimately very negative.

Former Employee - Staff Accountant in West Hartford, CT
    Former Employee - Staff Accountant in West Hartford, CT

I worked at Blum Shapiro

Pros

Great technical experience and training, great location (West Hartford Center), other young professionals, some good perks

Cons

Terrible work/life balance, inadequate pay and benefits for the time spent auditing, no SEC clients

Praise employees more often instead of focusing on the negatives and be more open and honest with employees