Blurb

Updated December 7, 2014
Updated December 7, 2014
3.5

Eileen Gittins

A shift in the tides toward transparency and trust

I have been working at Blurb full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I have a feeling that there's a general shift in the company toward greater transparency and honesty between departments. As an engineering leader, it's a pleasure to see product owners empathize and trust their engineering teams and vice versa. It's the kind of culture I've wanted to see happen here at Blurb for years, and people are buying in.

We've fumbled for the past few years in execution (my perspective) but a recent shift in focus in engineering to formally prioritize code quality and quality delivery is empowering to engineers. Better yet, our collaborators across different departments are buying in as well.

I have a bias here as a lead, but I feel more empowered here to make change in our org than I have ever felt in my years here. We're addressing tech debt in a big way we've never done before. We're designing the architecture we've always wanted to have, and I hope that will change the pace and scale at which we deliver customer happiness in a big way.

Cons

I would not assume that the skeletons are out of the closet -- there are a lot of institutional modes of communication or cultural norms that prevent us from working well together. There's tech debt that prevents us from continuously delivering features -- we have a long way to go.

Let's remember that Agile/Scrum is not a silver bullet. Empathy, trust, and transparency are, and we need more of that here at Blurb.

My challenge to the E-staff is to walk that walk. People notice, and if they will, let's have them talk about your mutual trust and empathy for each other.

Great Idea, little focus and no direction

Former Employee - Product in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Product in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Blurb full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

• Excellent personal life, work balance
    • Free lunch Wednesday
    • Yoga and onsite massage

Cons

One term comes to mind reading some of the other reviews.... "reality distortion field"

• There is little to no growth opportunities or advancement for employees

• Very little to no raises, bonuses or incentives for it's employees unless you have a title change.. what is the chance of that? Refer to the first bullet point. You can work for them for years and still not see anything extra. They talk and emphasize goal oriented incentives. Even going above and beyond these set goals and excellent reviews will not make a difference your salary.

San Francisco and the Bay Area is a very expensive city to live in. blurb is pricing itself right out of a very competitive market. They will never be able to retain talented workers with it's current mindset. When I was there the turnover was constant and by the time I left, at least 80% of the staff had left. People work hard, burn out, and leave for much better opportunities with way better incentives and pay. No denying when I was hired, it was very cool and nice working with such a talented team that had it's ideals in order. It was a pleasure to come to work. By the time I left, it got old and was just a job with very self entitled, demanding, individuals. It became a place I didn't want to make a career with. With no real incentives, they will never be able to retain good talent.

In the time I was there, only once was a holiday bonus given with extra days off between Christmas and New Years. The years following, nothing extra, rather poor holiday parties and shrinking amount of time off for all employees. When they did give time off, the days given didn't make sense. Employees ended up taking their own PTO to add to their holiday for family visits, etc. This is how blurb defines employee appreciation. It's no wonder the turn over was major.

As a previous review stated, "A passionate company that sucks the passion right out of the employee."

Think about how things were in the beginning. Think about the life blood of your company, your employees. Think about why people stay with a good company.
    Incentives attract and keep talent. Raises and bonuses keep employees happy. The SF cost of living is outpacing what you are willing to pay for good people. A happy group, makes for a more profitable company and people will be less likely to leave. It's common sense on where the company is failing itself and it's employees

Chaotic, fast changing work place with dysfunctional executive team.

I have been working at Blurb full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Majority of employees are pleasant to work with and somewhat care about what they do as long as it's within 9-5. Free lunch Wednesdays. Friendly receptionist.

Cons

Sr. Management are not seasoned business managers; decision making is slow for a small company and as a result change is slow to take effect. Priority setting is almost nonexistent and as a result Engineering does not move as fast as other internet companies. This in turn negatively impacts the product and operations. Politics usually get in the way of career advancement.

Consider thinking through how to implement new policies, strategies and changes and how to execute them before making them otherwise, they seem to be new stories year in and year out and that's it.

Very creative environment. Less than expected growth.

I have been working at Blurb full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Most of the C-level staff are women. The all-hands meetings are not just about the numbers, but about product vision and how to serve customers better. The people who use Blurb have made amazing books, and being in an office filled with such books is very inspiring. Free lunch once a week really brings people together. Excellent work from home policy.

Cons

Personal growth opportunities are limited.

Sr Content Producer

Current Employee - Senior Web Producer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Web Producer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Blurb full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The pros are that this is a small fast moving company

Cons

Still going through a few growing pains

Develop all your talent, not just your Ivy Leagers.

Great product, even better work environment.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Blurb full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- The people, the people, the people. Blurb is comprised of 100+ of the strongest/smartest people I've ever worked with, and who know the benefits of remaining calm and pushing forward.
    - The product. It is difficult in this day and age to find a company so on top of the digital side, as well as the tangible product. Holding a Blurb book in your hand makes all the hard work well worth it.
    - The overall environment. I've never been so happy and stress-free in walking in to an office every morning. There is little in the way of office politics, everyone is super friendly, and management is understanding that work life is not your whole life.

Cons

- Internal advancement. Though the job market may be hot and the market flooded with candidates, I'd encourage Blurb to look at internal resources before jumping to hire outside. Additionally, work hard to make sure the folks who have been with Blurb for a while feel like they're moving forward.

- To both upper management and those reporting in to them, communication is key. Always be sure that your reports/superiors are having the same conversations in their meetings as you are in yours.

Blurb - Finds passionate people and sucks the passion right out

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Blurb full-time

Pros

Most people are really enjoyable to work with, good work/life balance, free Wednesday lunches

Cons

Really challenging to move initiatives/recommendations through, E-team is a bit disfunctional

A company with good ideas, strong execution, and a positive supportive and fun culture. Also had a comfortable office.

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Blurb full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You can sense the community and mutual support, even across departments. They were good at recognizing individual contribution and rewarding it.

Cons

Had a period without an engineering leader on the web engineering team that caused some difficulties and a pause in mentorship.

Have more regular one-on-one meetings with your people and deliver in order to keep your people happy and morale and productivity high!

Awesome company, going through growing pains right now

I have been working at Blurb full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Startup feel, big vision, great products, amazingly talented staff

Cons

Upper management working through some growing issues, and direction

Incubate talent from within the company instead of hiring talent for every position from outside

Great company-had some struggles but things are looking good now

I have been working at Blurb full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great Product
    Great Work/Life Balance
    Great People
    Much stronger management
    Better Communication style
    Very cool Hackathons going on
    Definitely enjoying the employees being included on many more levels of communication now
    Love how much the customer dig this product

Cons

Had some challenges in the past with growing pains -as start ups do at some point-but much better now.

Keep up with the better communication
    Keep up with the Hackathons