BoConcept Reviews

1. Excellent training, fun atmosphere

Former Employee - Sales in Edgewater, NJ
    Former Employee - Sales in Edgewater, NJ

I worked at BoConcept

Pros

Corporate is hands on, training is fun

Cons

Not alot of traffic, lots of hours

Advice to Management

Develop a spiff program on top of current salary/commission

2. Interior Designer/Conceptor (Sales)

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at BoConcept full-time

Pros

Corporate seems to stand behind their product. Some of the designs are really brilliant, the corporate employees that I have met were friendly and knowledgeable.

Cons

This is a franchise (located on North La Brea Ave, Los Angeles) - under poor ownership and totally mismanaged.

Understaffed, overworked and underpaid. The lowest commission rate of any company I've ever been with.

Tons of miscommunication and micromanaging.

Outrageously unattainable sales goals.

Unprofessional, negative, high stress environment. Extreme level of immaturity.

Outdated and inadequate technology makes everything more difficult.

Hours of operation are later than every other business in the area.

Disorganized and chaotic showroom and stock room.

Tons of customer complaints. Poor customer service.

Bad delivery/assembly services on top of customer orders being constantly delayed.

I could go on and on. One of the...no, THE worst job I have ever had in 15 years of retail.

Advice to Management

Choose a career that you actually have experience in - retail sales and management is not it. Communication, maturity and trust are vital in owning a business.

Sad to see so many changes for the worse

I have been working at BoConcept (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits, fun people to work with, good insurance, normal vacation/sick time, hours are fine for non-management

Cons

Very ineffective US leadership. Laid off 90% of corporate office, US corporate structure lacks management at all levels, down to their corporate stores. Everyone is left on their own to just do what they can to get by with no support, commission employees are very underpaid for the amount of work they do. This is because they do not ever give raises, and with the recent company changes, peoples jobs have changed. Complete lack of training provided for staff. What had been a very fun company with very good culture and values has gone way down hill.

Advice to Management

Listen to your staff, recognize and reward good performance.

Talent is lost on this corporate modal that purports to be truly interested in their employees

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at BoConcept full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The training is in depth and the fellow employees and in store management are energetic, enthusiastic and supportive. The physical space is attractive and always evolving.

Cons

Sales expectations are unrealistic on a consistent basis given the size of staff and the individual set goals - you are only as good as your last month - even if you had many good months previously. If you have true design talent it is wasted here - there are set ways to put things together - it is best to have a "sell now and worry about the aftermath later" kind of attitude - a real culture of get the sale no matter what (got to make those quotas!) - even if it is not the best option for the customer. The quality is not where it should be for the cost.

Advice to Management

Listen to the professionals you hired as a real window into the actual customer base and stop throwing around the "directive jargon of the month" as dictated to you.

Great corporation, bad franchise

Current Employee - Design Consultant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Design Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at BoConcept full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great corporate company to work for, fun, easy, all about progressive growth. Cool training programs, fun athmosphere, great worldwide network with positive executive/corporate influences.

Cons

Bad franchise in the NYC area if you aren't Asian then you don't stand a chance to survive. They are very discriminating. Lot of people quit because of the unpaid overtime and the rest get fired because they have a bad month, threaten loss of commission and deduction in pay

Advice to Management

Tone down the ego, if you close your first location and open a outlet, business can't be that good for you so make use of what you have and stop being greedy. Its killing your business.

Sales

Former Employee - Sales in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales in New York, NY

I worked at BoConcept full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Meet new and interesting people, commission plus salary

Cons

co workers and managers stealing sales

Abuse of Talent & Personnel

Current Employee - Sales in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales in New York, NY

I have been working at BoConcept full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fairly large company, with many locations.

Cons

Franchised, keep strict guideline on how their products are sold, but not on how their employees are treated (who personify their brand). Franchisees not held accountable.

Advice to Management

If you have enough resources for secret shoppers, you should also have enough resources to gage how the employees that represent your brand are being treated, to the point of exploitation.

Not a positive environment.

Former Employee - Design Consultant in Brooklyn, NY
    Former Employee - Design Consultant in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at BoConcept full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Training of new products was very good and I must say that this was one of the highlights of BoConcept, the company. All of the Sales ROM's were very well educated on new and existing products and got back to you with any info you needed. Parties were a very common event at the New York franchise.

Cons

At the Brooklyn location where it was mostly quiet there was alot of down time. This meant that the Sales Staff had to come up with different methods of increasing business. Since the franchise owner had no Public Relations or Marketing Department. We would often in the summer go around the neighborhood in the morning and hand out heavy catalogs to new housing developments to increase business. They said this was our job because we worked on commission and it would only help us.

It was also not uncommon to come in on our days off, without pay to work on projects to close a customer sale.

Advice to Management

Please be more supportive to your sales staff instead of making them feel bad for not being as strong as someone else might be.

Being happy in your job is what it is all about

Current Employee - Sales in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Sales in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at BoConcept full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I love talking to the customers, and the other sales clerks.

Cons

Not enough time off for personal reasons. Our prices are so high, that having less people on the floor would not have any impact on sales. With Crate and Barrel, Pottery Barn and Nordstrom across the street with lower prices, it is hard getting sales completed.
    I don't like explaining our philosophy to philistines.

Advice to Management

Be more understanding to your employees needs.

11. Great work culture, perks and people

I have been working at BoConcept

Pros

The people are the best. Very friendly, open and helpful. You definately feel like a part of the family when working there as everyone around the world keeps in touch. They train you every step of the way.

Cons

Can be a bit stressful as directives come from Denmark and you get no say in how things are run.

Advice to Management

I think better communication is sometimes needed as it can be hard to know what is going on around the world.