Board of European Students of Technology

Mathieu Vandenberghe

Member of local BEST group

Former Employee - Member of Local BEST Group
    Former Employee - Member of Local BEST Group

I worked at Board of European Students of Technology (more than 3 years)

Pros

Volunteering in an student organisation is always positive if the mission and vision of that organisation is the same as BEST has, empowered diversity and developing students. For me, it provided me the possibility to travel and meet students from all Europe and also develop myself in fields as leadership, public relations, marketing, team work and sales while I was having good time with other students with the same aptitudes and willingness to develop themselves also.

Cons

Some cons can be the same as typical ones for being in volunteering, that you give part of your time when you can be doing something else. It's difficult to be really involved in the organisation without stop focussing 100% in studies. At the end you realise that this experience in soft skills are also interesting for your career but maybe you will finish your studies later that suppossed.

Also can happen that you share a team with people that don't want to compromise the same as you and show that BEST is more party and less (or even nothing) developing yourself and networking with foreigners students.

Engineering Underpaid, Overworked, and Poorly Led

Current Employee - Employee in Portsmouth, NH
    Current Employee - Employee in Portsmouth, NH

I have been working at Board of European Students of Technology full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Some of the best people I have ever met left, but while here it was fun and felt like a startup
    A lot of challenges and (used to be) a great mentorship
    A lot of the non-managers are good people

Cons

The best and brightest were forced out for political reasons
    Engineering is grossly underpaid and overworked
    Unclear requirements lead to long nights and delayed projects
    General fear and worry amongst the team

Cut the politics, bring back the top talent, and enforce standards

BEST student association ever!

I have been working at Board of European Students of Technology part-time

Pros

You have so many occasions of learn, develop yourself and travel with really few expenses! You can meet lot of people from all around Europe and have the chance to make new friends who will last for all life!

Cons

You can get addicted to events so take care :P Leaving events and going back to normal life it's really a pity :)

Student volunteer

I have been working at Board of European Students of Technology part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The opportunities to travel, have contact with different european cultures, the huge network of contacts we can make and, more importantly, friends for life!

Cons

Deal with all the work while still being a student is a time management challenge. As in every place there may be local internal conflicts.

I'd highly recommend getting involved in the organisation or at least participate in its events

I have been working at Board of European Students of Technology

Pros

Great opportunity to develop yourself by leading projects, work in team, experience, travel, meet people.

Cons

While being a student organisation, and besides all its great benefits, involving yourself too much can have a negative impact on your studies/work and personal life outside of the organisation.

Its a voluntary organization

Current Employee - Student in Lisbon (Portugal)
    Current Employee - Student in Lisbon (Portugal)

I have been working at Board of European Students of Technology part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Its a voluntary organization for students to develop socializing and project management skills.

Cons

its unprofessional and managed by students. Most of whom have never felt competitive pressure to deliver or be replaced.

Fantastic and great experience.

Former Employee - Vice President in Delft (Netherlands)
    Former Employee - Vice President in Delft (Netherlands)

I worked at Board of European Students of Technology full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Learning path really fast and great networking opportunity

Cons

Sometimes it looks really young group and need time and effort to be structured as it supposed to be.

Voluntary Student NGO

Current Employee - Vice-President for Internal Support in Brussels (Belgium)
    Current Employee - Vice-President for Internal Support in Brussels (Belgium)

I have been working at Board of European Students of Technology full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

agility, youth, fast learning, work combined with enjoyment

Cons

big turnover, difficult motivation management of members

N/A

It was a great pleasure to work at Board of European Students of Technology

Former Employee - LBG President, Regional Adviser, PM Main Organizer in Lviv (Ukraine)

I worked at Board of European Students of Technology part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Board of European Students of Technology is very dynamic, multicultural and friendly organization, which help it's members to improve leadership, communication and teamwork skills.

Cons

I would rather notice communication problems between the international and local levels of the organization, but it seems that they are most likely resulted by the organization's structure and huge people rotation and probably are hard or impossible to solve.

Keep up the good work!

All students should either join BEST or participate at least once in course.

I have been working at Board of European Students of Technology

Pros

It is amazing opportunity for students to be part of this organization. You have a great chance to meet people from all over the Europe, you will improve your language skills, soft skills and usually you pick some new skills.

Cons

It is student organization and it is obvious that students live like students. So usually they party a lot and it depends on your personality whether you like it now, but for some it can be too much.

Sometimes put more focus on what are your goals.