Boart Longyear

Updated August 21, 2014
Updated August 21, 2014
2.6

Richard O'Brien

Pros
  • It must have been a great place without which they can not get so many good people (in 4 reviews)

• Global company with opportunities, but it is in cost cutting mode (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Mining industry with the usual up down times (in 3 reviews)

• Since going public, BLY has most certainly become a "hire and fire" company (in 2 reviews)

More Highlights

Treated me well. Grew my career and learnt a lot. Great people.

Former Employee - Finance Manager  in  Salt Lick, KY
    Former Employee - Finance Manager in Salt Lick, KY

I worked at Boart Longyear full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Grew my career while learning a lot. Great team mates, good opportunities - at least for me.

Cons

Cyclical nature of business made it very challenging. Boom to Bust leads to uncertainty and can make long term planning - both personally and work related - challenging.

Listen to your employees. Be very aware of the need to plan for both upsides and downsides, as it can be hard to predict the market.

Sr. Accountant

I worked at Boart Longyear

Pros

Good company to work, good support team from around the world, paid well, and lots of opportunities.

Cons

System couldn't provide good report that provided all details needed fast enough and so it took much time of work.

Review 1

I worked at Boart Longyear for more than 5 years

Pros

Good pay, great industry, great products

Cons

Cyclicality of the market, constant management changes

Focus on core products and services, retain industry recognized people.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company to work for, but I hope you have a strong stomach!

I have been working at Boart Longyear full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

They seem to hire excellent people with great attitudes, great balance of work and life. Opportunities to move up seem to be there.

Cons

Goes through constant highs and lows, which results in a cycle of layoffs then rehires (this is why I mentioned a strong stomach helps as you more often than not hear bad news). No merit increases at this time except for executives (goes without saying). It could be a few more years before the company sees any type of profit or growth.

Stay the course and pray like the rest of us that the company turns around sooner rather than later.

Sr Management has no clue how to turn it around

Former Employee - Project Manager  in  South Jordan, UT
    Former Employee - Project Manager in South Jordan, UT

I worked at Boart Longyear full-time for more than a year

Pros

Decent Compensation, global travel, good technology (oracle) Interesting Industry. I was afforded a great opportunity to travel the world, work with colleagues in many countries. We worked hard and were rewarded likewise.

Cons

Sr management is in over their heads. They cannot manage the industry cycles. I was hired after the 08 global financial crisis. They all promised to "never let that happen again" Survived all layoffs and left on my own terms in spring 2013. Many many excellent and skilled employees with years of experience were laid off. I wanted to stay, but couldn't handle the uncertainty. By then corporate was Toxic, and nobody had a clue as to what to do. Hire and Fire that's BLY!

Sell the Products Division, Fire the EVP for Drilling Services, and Supply Chain. Not that impressed with the new CEO.

A great company reduced to near death

Former Employee - Operations Manager
    Former Employee - Operations Manager

I worked at Boart Longyear full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Overall great people to work with in the field locations. Good pay. Good benefits.

Cons

Way too much decision making from the corporate office over the past 5+ years. Corporate personnel don't know the business, but make all of the decisions for the business. This has driven away most employees with years of knowledge and expertise. Way too top heavy, even after all the cuts.

Negative corporate culture and attitude needs to change if the company is going to survive. Put the trust and decision making back into the field locations (the way it was done for over 100 years).

If it stinks then it must be Boart Longyear

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Boart Longyear full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Want some pros: global, passive aggressive, poor senior leadership. High skilled Senior Mgt Team, it takes skill to go from a global leader to a about out of business. Lunch brought in for Senior Mgt. Senior Leadership traveling business/first class, others in the back of the plane. The best job promotions , for example a Brazilian volleyball player can become IT VIP/CIO with no or little IT skills.

Cons

Stock is tanking, passive aggressive, layoffs, poor senior leadership, layoffs, layoffs, weak HR team. You get the best gossip grapevine at Boart Longyear, all starts with the HR team in Salt Lake. There is no respect for the common work or middle management. If you have no money, you think you are getting training.

Fire yourself! This company has been ruined since someone decided to get rid of Kipp. It all started with the CFO and David M from the board; poor leadership decisions, big egos, wrong people on the bus (EVP DS, VP IT, EVP Supply Chain, former CFO, recently former VP/VP IT, poor BOD members).

Best advice is to sell to another company the assets, customers, and common employee; leaving management looking for a job. The company can be turned around but not by the current circus performers at the top.

Long hours, very political, opportunities to learn

Former Employee - Business Systems Analyst  in  South Jordan, UT
    Former Employee - Business Systems Analyst in South Jordan, UT

I worked at Boart Longyear full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Nice facility in South Jordan, talented colleagues, experience working in corporate environment of multinational company, good compensation for Utah

Cons

Very political environment, a lot of people are really smart but don't actually do any real work, top heavy, long hours, constant restructuring due to financial instability

Not a stable company.

Former Employee - Supply Chain Specialist  in  Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Supply Chain Specialist in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Boart Longyear full-time for more than a year

Pros

Mid level management people were good to work with.

Cons

Upper level management did not communicate well.

Experience at Boart Longyear

I worked at Boart Longyear full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Compensation, travel, benefits, technology, world-class products, mid-level employees care for the company.

Cons

Inconsistent direction and leadership. Politically toxic.

Shrink management levels.

Worked for Boart Longyear? Contribute to the Community!