Boat US (Boat Owners Association of The United States)
www.boatus.com Alexandria, VA 500 to 999 Employees

Boat US (Boat Owners Association of The United States) Reviews

Updated Jan 14, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Richard Schwartz

Boat U.S. is a professional atmosphere where customer service, including among its employees, is top priority.

Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Boat US (Boat Owners Association of The United States) full-time for more than a year

ProsOpportunities to move up and into different apartments.

ConsSmaller departments have their own management systems that may differ from the other departments.

Good experience. Nice people, older crowd, relaxed atmosphere.

Claims Representative (Current Employee)
Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Boat US (Boat Owners Association of The United States) full-time for less than a year

ProsPay isn't bad.
Supervisors are nice.
Work is very manageable.

ConsWork can be very repetitive (Although in claims its apart of the job).
Under-worked. Great for students who have homework to do, but for people who want to build skills, it can be frustrating.

Advice to Senior ManagementGreat job, maybe give those who want to work harder more work to.

Great atmosphere, great place to work, especially if you're a boater.

I have been working at Boat US (Boat Owners Association of The United States) full-time for more than 8 years

ProsI think that some of the things that make BoatUS so great have to do mostly with the people you get to work with. For the most part, everyone really likes their job and that can make all the difference in the world.

ConsThe culture of departmental competition is in the process of changing but it has been a long time coming. It hinders inter-departmental cooperation and sets up unnecessary road blocks to progress.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement should do whatever it takes to eliminate the history of departmental competition.

Great Place to work, fun environment

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Virginia Beach, VA

I worked at Boat US (Boat Owners Association of The United States) part-time for more than a year

ProsPeople care about the knowledge of boats

Conslimited hours, randomness of scheduling

Advice to Senior Managementnone

A decent place to work if you can get past some of the office politics

Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Boat US (Boat Owners Association of The United States) full-time for more than 5 years

ProsRelaxed work environment. Many long-time employees. Feeling of belonging and commraderie among employees. Used to be an employee-owned company, so most people still have a strong work ethic to make the company better (profit-share helps this too). It is convenient to the major roads (95/395/495). Benefits and bonus opportunities are pretty good.

ConsLower than average salaries (but the work environment is an OK trade off for most). Longer, more frequent and less productive than average meetings. Employees aren't always rewarded or recognized for their contributions. Because of the way the company is organized, it is sometimes it is difficult to work with other departments (e.g. you can end up in a de-facto stand off because neither wants to compromise). Some departments won't listen to the advice of other departments doing specialized work (e.g. the towing dept won't always listen to the Web department when it comes to their web site, but will rather force their own ideas).
Many people/departments are very set in their ways. Decentralized marketing makes everyone's lives difficult (e.g. Insurance manages their own marketing, towing does theirs, etc). There are some 'floaters', i.e. people who don't do any work, but management does not recognize this. Few areas for advancement because of the age of most of the management staff, and the fact that the company has started hiring execs from outside to replace the few retiring ones. This also has an off-putting effect on the current employees, which has morale low in some departments.
Slightly behind the times technology-wise (Windows XP, Classic ASP, Windows Server 2003, Oracle 9...).

Advice to Senior ManagementPay better attention to the achievements of employees and recognize accordingly with promotions, etc. Fewer, more productive meetings; employees spend hours in meetings where nothing is decided except for the date of the next meeting.

good place

I have been working at Boat US (Boat Owners Association of The United States)

Prosyou have to work hard

Constraffic to get to work and no professional development

Advice to Senior ManagementVery active management team.

Not a bad place to work. Has it's pros and cons!!

Arlington, VA

I have been working at Boat US (Boat Owners Association of The United States)

ProsLocation!! I like the ability to run errands at lunch. And there are plently of places to eat!! Plus they have a Deli in the building, the food is just OK. My enviroment is very relax and I am not micro managed. Some people come here and never leave.

ConsSome people come here and never leave! They are very resistantant to change!!!! I feel this is a cast system (just my observation).

It was ok.

Administrative Assistant (Former Employee)
Alexandria, VA

I worked at Boat US (Boat Owners Association of The United States)

Prosrelaxed place to work, and nice people there

Constraffic in alexandria is crazy at times

Advice to Senior Managementn/a

The Boat

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Alexandria, VA

I worked at Boat US (Boat Owners Association of The United States)

ProsNice people, laid back atmosphere. If you're looking for "just a job" where you aren't expected to do much, this is a great place. If you are a boat owner, you get some nice benefits like discounts at their stores.

ConsThis place moves like molasses. Unproductive meeting upon unproductive meeting. And the pay is not so good. If you are looking to grow your career, this is not the place to do it. If you are looking to make good money, also probably not the place.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore passion, more action, more progress - foster an atmosphere that embodies and encourages these qualities and you will attract and keep much better talent.

not a place for an insurance career

Insurance Underwriter (Current Employee)

I have been working at Boat US (Boat Owners Association of The United States)

Prosgood benefits package and profit sharing

Conspromotion based more on tenure than talent. payscale is low compared to what you could find elsewhere

Advice to Senior Managementincrease pay and promote based on merit not time in the job.

Worked for Boat US (Boat Owners Association of The United States)? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Boat US (Boat Owners Association of The United States) reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Boat US (Boat Owners Association of The United States) CEO Richard Schwartz. All 10 reviews posted anonymously by Boat US (Boat Owners Association of The United States) employees.