Bob Evans

Be The First To
Add Photos

Bob Evans Chairman and CEO Steve Davis

Steve Davis

Pros
  • They have a great training program(in 12 reviews)

• You work with a lot of great people who really care about the place and its foundation(in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • long hours, work every weekend, poor benefits(in 16 reviews)

• Depends on upper management and store employees: could be a horrible experience or could be a great one(in 14 reviews)

did my job

Proswell got paid on time

Consdidnt get paid for free

Advice to Senior Managementkeep it up

High stress environment, managers are most likely just as fake if not more than the servers

Server (Current Employee) Toledo, OH

ProsHigh turnover in tables
    Good money in morning shifts
    Short shifts
    Good food to eat on breaks
    Flexibility

ConsOld people don't tip! Workers seem to have attitude

Advice to Senior ManagementTake better pride in hiring workers

Loved the people, hated the job

Assistant Manager (Former Employee)

Prosmanagers get a free meal, and the training was decent but it just depends on what store you're in

Consovertime hours without overtime pay
    working hourly employees stations to save on labor
    there is a disconnect from corporate

Advice to Senior Managementcustomers know how to "work the system" and you let them get away with it. also consider adding a 5th manager to each store. it will help wonders

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not Fun Place to work

Cook (Current Employee) North Huntingdon, PA

ProsMeet a lot of cool people, however the turnover rate is insane because the job just isn't that good. Managers are easy to get along with if you try, but they do seem to lack basic common sense more often than not.

ConsAgain, managers incompetence. Low pay given the experience level of some of the employees, and expect to have to work a lot.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease the pay of the employees before the go somewhere else to work. It's and easy field to start working in, and when you hire people with 2 years experience and pay them 10 dollars an hour but have staff with 5 years experience making 8, it seems unfair.

Good MIT program

Assistant Manager (Current Employee) Maumee, OH

ProsGood MIt Program, Long Term Hourly

ConsManagement needs to be a team

Bob Evans: I wouldn't tell my worst enemy to apply at this mismanaged, soul stealing, corporate torture chamber.

Grill Cook (Current Employee)

ProsThe only good thing I have to say about Bobs is that I met my fiance there. Other than that the place is a terrible work environment and all of the people I work with (including management) hate the place and the customers they have to serve.

ConsI "cook" full-time at Bob Evans and I NEVER eat there because all of the food is frozen heat-and-serve GARBAGE. NOTHING is made from scratch- the biscuits, rolls, mashed potatoes, chicken gravy, beef gravy, sausage gravy, meatloaf, all of the soups, pies, cookies, brownies, cinnamon blossums - EVERYTHING. Bob Evan's would absolutely not be able to function if they couldn't use microwaves because EVERYTHING is microwaved.

The reason everything is becoming worse is because corporate wants to maintain 17% labor cost which is a RIDICULOUS number, any restaurant in the world would love to have 25 or 26% labor. What this translates into is a chain of restaurants filled with overworked, underpaid and pissed off employees all in the name of making a few extra bucks for the shareholders.

My particular store has failed multiple Steritech (health inspector) reviews due to hot and cold foods not being stored at the correct temperature, food debris being found on "clean" plates or containers, employees not washing their hands after handling raw food, the list goes on...because we NEVER have the proper amount of staff to do things in a correct and sanitary fashion.

Every day I work 6 to 10 hour shifts without a break because they only give breaks to make people punch out so they can save a couple bucks on labor, never to actually let an exhausted employee rest. On more than a few occasions they actually put me on break a half hour after I punched in so they could save a few dollars on labor, then I had to work the next 9+ hours without another break. I could have used that 30 minutes of us being slow to clean and make sure everything was correct and sanitary, but instead they would rather save on labor. Labor cost trumps sanitation 100% of the time.

Bob Evan's strategies with customers and employees are exactly the same; keep them both just happy enough to where they will probably come back and not a single ounce more. Why do you think Bobs ALWAYS has buy one get one free coupons? Because that is the only way they can get half of the customers to come back.

Bob's is nothing more than an understaffed fast food place with a big dining room, our newest CEO (Steve Davis) and all of the new higher ups in corporate come from the fast food industry and that is what they want to turn Bob's into while trying to maintain the illusion that it is "home cooking".

The only reason I am still at Bobs is out of sheer morbid curiosity. I mean how often do you get to witness firsthand a 65+ year old brand name supported by a dying (literally) customer base go down the tubes?

Bob Evan's new motto:
    Where We Treat Stranger like Friends, Friends like Family, And our Employees like Garbage.

Advice to Senior ManagementHey Steve Davis, stop working all of your employees to death just so you can buy that second yacht.

Hated it so much I walked

Assistant Manager (Former Employee)

ProsI was hired as a manager. The other AMs I worked with were awesome, but incredibly miserable. Some of the hourly employees were cool.

ConsThe GM was the worst. Lazy, sat in the office for hours, and very self-important. She was supposed to train me, but once I started running shifts I couldn't count on her for anything and fell way behind in my book/computer tasks. I was supposed to be given a proper 2 hours every shift to work on the material, but- again- if I was running shift she became totally hands off. The shifts were long, time never ever moved, it just all felt stagnant. Guests were ridiculous and had no reserves about telling you exactly how much they wanted taken off their bill. It was all inane reasons. If somebody's eggs took too long they would give you a look like you murdered a puppy right in front of them. I couldn't afford the benefits, which weren't all that good, anyway- which for my circumstances figured to be around 150$ per pay period. One day I just couldn't do it anymore. I have worked in restaurants for 16 years and NEVER had an experience this awful.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo advice. But you realize you're running a convalescent home instead of a restaurant, right?

It's a decent place to work

Prosquick table turn and loyal customers

Consthey will hire anybody and it is nearly impossible for people to get fired

Experience as Server

Server (Current Employee) Troy, OH

ProsI love my co-workers; this changes from store-to-store, but it seems at #257 in Troy, OH, management has done a good job. My GM is also great; she is willing to work around your schedule and is very flexible. You just have to be willing to give back and work with her when she is trying to get people to work on busy holidays.

ConsOur Area Director does not know how to talk to people. His tone is very degrading. Additionally, you are doing a lot of work for very little money. The customer base isn't the type that is going to tip $10 every time, not even $5. But you run around and do a lot of things, like make salads, get soup, carryouts, etc. Servers are very cheap labor for the restaurant.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more personable. Our Area Director comes in acting like we are the scum on the bottom of his shoes. He generally only acknowledges you if you do something wrong, and the way he goes about telling you is not the most polite.

Not was promised

Assistant Manager (Current Employee)

Prosits convenient and there are enough to transfer to another

Consthe don't deliver on what was said in interview

Worked for Bob Evans? Contribute to the Community!