Bob Evans

Be The First To
Add Photos

Bob Evans Chairman and CEO Steve Davis

Steve Davis

Pros:
  • "They have a great training program"
    in 12 reviews
  • "They provide good training in my experience, but as always, training is what you make of it"
    in 10 reviews
Cons:
  • "long hours, work every weekend, poor benefits"
    in 15 reviews
  • "Depends on upper management and store employees: could be a horrible experience or could be a great one"
    in 13 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Assistant Manager Training Program (MIT)

I have been working at Bob Evans

Pros36k salary+quarterly management bonuses. Good BOH and management fellow employees. Haven't trained in FOH, yet. Easy clientele consisting of mainly elders and families. 2 days off a week. Great, busy, stressful, long, and somewhat complicated training program, but it seems it will pay off in the end.

Cons10 hour shifts. 5 days a week. Sometimes coming in to open at 5:15. The e-courses required by MIT to take are virtually impossible to pass, even with the huge MIT manual by your side, such as the cash handling procedures test which most of the material isn't in the book. Also, employee turnover to way to high which takes a toll on management.

Advice to Senior ManagementFirst, since training on KP, I've noticed many of the recipes in the book aren't exactly correct since you've updated the quantity in your food packages. Also, try and offer more incentive to employees to help ensure their employment periods. In addition, I recommend you initiate a internship program with local colleges for the culinary program. I feel like that would help with employee turnover in BOH, and a more stable employment pattern. Especially on the grill.

Experience as Server

Server (Current Employee)
Troy, OH

I have been working at Bob Evans part-time for more than 3 years

ProsI love my co-workers; this changes from store-to-store, but it seems at #257 in Troy, OH, management has done a good job. My GM is also great; she is willing to work around your schedule and is very flexible. You just have to be willing to give back and work with her when she is trying to get people to work on busy holidays.

ConsOur Area Director does not know how to talk to people. His tone is very degrading. Additionally, you are doing a lot of work for very little money. The customer base isn't the type that is going to tip $10 every time, not even $5. But you run around and do a lot of things, like make salads, get soup, carryouts, etc. Servers are very cheap labor for the restaurant.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more personable. Our Area Director comes in acting like we are the scum on the bottom of his shoes. He generally only acknowledges you if you do something wrong, and the way he goes about telling you is not the most polite.

It's a decent place to work

I have been working at Bob Evans

Prosquick table turn and loyal customers

Consthey will hire anybody and it is nearly impossible for people to get fired

60 to 80 hours per week for $30k. Make more as server by the hour.

Assistant Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Bob Evans full-time for more than a year

ProsLearned a lot. Earned my ServSafe certification.

ConsLow pay for the hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementReview the cost of turnover in your store management.

learned alot

Assistant General Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Bob Evans full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThey have a great training program.

ConsArea Coach was not the most pleasant person to work for.

Bob Evans

Service Desk Representative (Current Employee)
Columbus, OH

I have been working at Bob Evans full-time for more than a year

ProsThis was a good company to learn and acquire skills from. It constantly a challenging environment and you have the opportunity to grow.

ConsCommunication throughout the company was lacking. From my understanding, the pay is below industry standard for corporate positions. There is a lack of trust in leadership.

Bob Evans is a great opportunity for first time job seekers

Kitchen Prep/Grill Cook (Former Employee)
Chambersburg, PA

I worked at Bob Evans part-time for less than a year

ProsGreat place to work for a high school student or college student is looking for a good part time starter job.

Conswork life balance between life and work as well as, time off the company is very fair when it comes to this regard overall, not very many cons.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement should be very helpful no matter the situation but they are not.

Assistant Manager

Assistant Manager (Former Employee)
Saginaw, MI

I worked at Bob Evans full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat place for a manager to get there start after or during college

ConsNo weekends off much, your 2 days off will likely be on Monday and Tuesday.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

YOU are not important

Server (Current Employee)
Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Bob Evans part-time for more than a year

ProsCash and fast-paced job. Majority of staff is alright.

ConsAwful management. Favoritism played throughout shifts. Unrealistic goals set by unfit managers. Unrealistic outlooks on life and productivity. Employees treated like dirt and children. You hit a wall once you get a decent section, you stop advancing and become unproductive. Over-all terrible corporate operations that have their wallet's well-being in mind, not their employees. I started as a 17 y/o and would work at least 3-5 hours a week without pay due to the "Breaks" they give you. They'd force me to close the store and work past the "5-hour" rule for minors off the clock. Once I turned 18 I realized I wasn't getting paid what I should have been. A Specific manager had terrible cleanliness and I often had customers emphasize they would not be back due to her. The current AGM brings their own stressful life into the work place and makes it miserable for everyone while being bi-polar enough to never truly know if she ever meant what she was saying. The GM sets unrealistic goals and puts an unrealistic amount of responsibility onto the servers. Constant "busy-work" that made no sense or impact on any shift. I've witnessed this manager force a host to stay and work the register with a stomach flu, not okay. Management isn't corrected for their flaws and if they do somehow hear of their mistakes it is places on their shift's shoulders.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe company is going under, since Bob passed and before that when it was sold to corporate offices it's been a steady decline in sales and productivity. So, I say to managers where I have experienced, abandon ship while you still can. I plan on doing so promptly.

Not great place to work

Server (Former Employee)
Medina, OH

I worked at Bob Evans part-time for less than a year

Prosit was an easy position to get fresh out of college. was not a very dirty restaurant and am still able to eat there today.

Consterribly low hours, bad clientele, unable to pay student loans on such a small income. fellow employees were a very dissatisfied and distrustful group. very depressing experience

Advice to Senior Managementwork on positive employee to employee interactions,

Worked for Bob Evans? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Bob Evans reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Bob Evans CEO Steve Davis. All 256 reviews posted anonymously by Bob Evans employees.