Bob Evans Reviews

Updated September 18, 2014
2.6

Bob Evans Chairman and CEO Steve Davis
Steve Davis

Pros
  • They have a great training program (in 12 reviews)

• You work with a lot of great people who really care about the place and its foundation (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • long hours, work every weekend, poor benefits (in 16 reviews)

• Depends on upper management and store employees: could be a horrible experience or could be a great one (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

I've worked there for 2 years and things have gone from bad to worse and working has become unbearable

Current Employee - Server
    Current Employee - Server

I have been working at Bob Evans part-time for more than a year

Pros

If you are a server, then working Saturday and Sunday morning is good pay.

Cons

The whole system is disorganized and managers are always being transferred from different stores so it throws the store off. There is a new scheduling system so part-time can work no more than 29 hours so management schedules people less than 20 and people have been scheduled a 2 hour shift numerous of times.

Respect employees and learn better communication between staff and management.

Not bad

Current Employee - Server  in  Akron, OH
    Current Employee - Server in Akron, OH

I have been working at Bob Evans part-time for more than a year

Pros

You get to work with a lot of nice and interesting people and have mostly regulars come in. There is room for advancement especially among managers. Able to work mornings unlike many other restaurants.

Cons

The scheduling is done by a computer and can be difficult to request certain shifts. Some menu items require a lot of time and preparation for the servers which can get them behind, especially during busy hours.

Think about your employees and guest experiences before advertising promotions, especially those that are only on holidays.

Fast food restaraunt under the guise of a sit-down family place, but overall a good place to work.

Former Employee - Server
    Former Employee - Server

I worked at Bob Evans part-time for less than a year

Pros

Things pretty organized in terms of training and had a lot of supportive staff.

Cons

hard to grow, lots of people work there for a long time. Pay was decent if you were serving (tips were pretty good) but you'll never make anything good if you don't receive tips. I just worked there for the summer and was hazed by the younger people, management didn't really seem to care.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Poor training, unprepared management, terrible morale.

Former Employee - Hostess
    Former Employee - Hostess

I worked at Bob Evans part-time for less than a year

Pros

As a hostess, sometimes people tip you for carry-outs.
    You get to know a lot of regulars.
    They don't ask you to do much.

Cons

Terrible scheduling system is done on computer, you can have three hour shifts or ten hour shifts. Can't tell you how many times I closed one night and opened in the morning.
    The "schedule is an approximate." You will rarely, if ever, get out at your scheduled time.
    You can do too much and you can do too little.
    You take flack from customers for all the things that go on or the fact your manager didn't tender you on the register and there's nothing you can do about it.
    If you go above and beyond your job description you get in trouble for it. They want to cut labor costs but refuse to let you help out and be productive. Your job is to stand there and look pretty if you're a hostess like I was. They also tell you that if you do too little you're just as bad. I was dish-tanking, serving, taking carryouts, and cleaning during our rushes because the managers refused to. They could've just as easily taken up the register for a bit if they wanted the lines to be shortened.

Don't tell your employees to do one thing and get mad when they do that and more. Train employees better. Cross-train more part-time employees. Get your head on straight and realize that your hourly employees are more important than managers. The store doesn't run without us.

Really bad place to work

Current Employee - Dish Washer
    Current Employee - Dish Washer

I have been working at Bob Evans part-time for less than a year

Pros

paid weekly..other than that this place is worse than hell

Cons

management plays solitare all day in office,KP think they are managers, grill cooks dont have to do anything not even cook!! they can drop 20+ plates and the managers laugh about it then the dish tankers drop 1 sundae glass and all demons are called from hell..this is a very bad place to work please look for a diffrent career

stop playing on computers and get your butt at a station

Under experienced managers make the place go downhill.

Current Employee - Host and Server  in  Findlay, OH
    Current Employee - Host and Server in Findlay, OH

I have been working at Bob Evans part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Flexible hours, room for advancement, a lot of regulars, can view your schedule online, will cross train you between job categories, can work a lot of hours in one day if you want.

Cons

Under experienced management, management plays favorites, regulars are usually elderly so tips aren't always great, understaffed a lot, not closed on thanksgiving anymore. The family aspect has been taken away from the company since Bob Evans died.

Take some classes on ordering, or just some business classes in general. Also, if you treat your staff with respect they are more likely going to respect you back and not resist everything that gets asked of them.

don't work here

Current Employee - Kitchen Prep, Dishtank Operator, Busser
    Current Employee - Kitchen Prep, Dishtank Operator, Busser

I have been working at Bob Evans part-time for more than a year

Pros

Possibly interesting people to work with at times.

Cons

They don't care about their employees. Trying to get scheduling right is always such a big, painful production. They make you work really long hours and make poor scheduling choices. They complain about you not being fast enough, and yet decide to to pile even more on you. They don't treat all employees equally. Some employees are allowed to just get up and go without saying anything, and yet, if others were to try that, they would be fired. They also make people in Kitchen Prep babysit anyone who goes into the freezer/cooler to make sure they follow proper procedure of storing and organizing items. That is surely not their responsibilty. It's a really steep learning curve for some positions. Finally, they don't care about dishtank operators or their area. It's the last thing on their mind, and they refuse to put any money into anything that they need, but will be incredibly quick to throw money at any other work stations in the restaurants. Tons of stupid corporate policies as well.

Really take the time to train your employees, don't expect so much from them at once. Really pay attention to the scheduling. Listen to the employees. Most everyone works hard if you give them the chance. Treat them better. Allow for breaks.

No consistency.

Current Employee - General Manager
    Current Employee - General Manager

I have been working at Bob Evans full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Not too many good things remembered after 11 years of service.

Cons

No work/life balance
    Superior performance is met with unrealistic goals
    Favoritism abounds and rules do not apply to everyone.

Stop making it harder for high performers to reach goals. Know what your Area Coaches are really up to.

Bob Evans: I wouldn't tell my worst enemy to apply at this mismanaged, soul stealing, corporate torture chamber.

Current Employee - Grill Cook
    Current Employee - Grill Cook

I have been working at Bob Evans full-time for more than a year

Pros

The only good thing I have to say about Bobs is that I met my fiance there. Other than that the place is a terrible work environment and all of the people I work with (including management) hate the place and the customers they have to serve.

Cons

I "cook" full-time at Bob Evans and I NEVER eat there because all of the food is frozen heat-and-serve GARBAGE. NOTHING is made from scratch- the biscuits, rolls, mashed potatoes, chicken gravy, beef gravy, sausage gravy, meatloaf, all of the soups, pies, cookies, brownies, cinnamon blossums - EVERYTHING. Bob Evan's would absolutely not be able to function if they couldn't use microwaves because EVERYTHING is microwaved.

The reason everything is becoming worse is because corporate wants to maintain 17% labor cost which is a RIDICULOUS number, any restaurant in the world would love to have 25 or 26% labor. What this translates into is a chain of restaurants filled with overworked, underpaid and pissed off employees all in the name of making a few extra bucks for the shareholders.

My particular store has failed multiple Steritech (health inspector) reviews due to hot and cold foods not being stored at the correct temperature, food debris being found on "clean" plates or containers, employees not washing their hands after handling raw food, the list goes on...because we NEVER have the proper amount of staff to do things in a correct and sanitary fashion.

Every day I work 6 to 10 hour shifts without a break because they only give breaks to make people punch out so they can save a couple bucks on labor, never to actually let an exhausted employee rest. On more than a few occasions they actually put me on break a half hour after I punched in so they could save a few dollars on labor, then I had to work the next 9+ hours without another break. I could have used that 30 minutes of us being slow to clean and make sure everything was correct and sanitary, but instead they would rather save on labor. Labor cost trumps sanitation 100% of the time.

Bob Evan's strategies with customers and employees are exactly the same; keep them both just happy enough to where they will probably come back and not a single ounce more. Why do you think Bobs ALWAYS has buy one get one free coupons? Because that is the only way they can get half of the customers to come back.

Bob's is nothing more than an understaffed fast food place with a big dining room, our newest CEO (Steve Davis) and all of the new higher ups in corporate come from the fast food industry and that is what they want to turn Bob's into while trying to maintain the illusion that it is "home cooking".

The only reason I am still at Bobs is out of sheer morbid curiosity. I mean how often do you get to witness firsthand a 65+ year old brand name supported by a dying (literally) customer base go down the tubes?

Bob Evan's new motto:
    Where We Treat Stranger like Friends, Friends like Family, And our Employees like Garbage.

Hey Steve Davis, stop working all of your employees to death just so you can buy that second yacht.

Assistant Manager Training Program (MIT)

I have been working at Bob Evans

Pros

36k salary+quarterly management bonuses. Good BOH and management fellow employees. Haven't trained in FOH, yet. Easy clientele consisting of mainly elders and families. 2 days off a week. Great, busy, stressful, long, and somewhat complicated training program, but it seems it will pay off in the end.

Cons

10 hour shifts. 5 days a week. Sometimes coming in to open at 5:15. The e-courses required by MIT to take are virtually impossible to pass, even with the huge MIT manual by your side, such as the cash handling procedures test which most of the material isn't in the book. Also, employee turnover to way to high which takes a toll on management.

First, since training on KP, I've noticed many of the recipes in the book aren't exactly correct since you've updated the quantity in your food packages. Also, try and offer more incentive to employees to help ensure their employment periods. In addition, I recommend you initiate a internship program with local colleges for the culinary program. I feel like that would help with employee turnover in BOH, and a more stable employment pattern. Especially on the grill.

Worked for Bob Evans? Contribute to the Community!