Bob Evans

Updated December 1, 2014
2.8

Bob Evans Chairman and CEO Steve Davis
Steve Davis

Pros
  • The few employee who actually do their job are great people (in 14 reviews)

• They have a great training program (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • long hours, work every weekend, poor benefits (in 16 reviews)

• Depends on upper management and store employees: could be a horrible experience or could be a great one (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

10 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Easy way to make great money!

Former Employee - Server in Beckley, WV
    Former Employee - Server in Beckley, WV

I worked at Bob Evans part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fast cash, opportunity to work as many hours as possible.

Cons

Weekend shifts, and sometimes very long shifts without breaks.

Bob Evans is an Awesome place to work for.

Former Employee - Hostess in Ripley, WV
    Former Employee - Hostess in Ripley, WV

I worked at Bob Evans part-time (less than an year)

Pros

When your working at Bob Evans you get a free meal,30 min break, and days off. You get to really get to know your costumers and get great promotions.

Cons

Really strict about the rules.

Could be better but could be worse.

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Fairmont, WV
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Fairmont, WV

I worked at Bob Evans full-time (less than an year)

Pros

There is a lot of room for advancement. Insurance is good. Fast paced.

Cons

High management overturn. Bad senior management. Employee set in ways of rule breaking. Gm and agm and assistants never on the same page.

Check in closely on older management. Just bc everything looks good on the surface and on paper, doesn't necessarily mean they are good. There is a lot of clean up upon area coach arrival. Makes it hard to follow the rules when they are different when different people are present.

Typical Restaurant

Former Employee - Host/Server in Charleston, WV
    Former Employee - Host/Server in Charleston, WV

I worked at Bob Evans part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Depending on what managers you have, work can either be super fun or miserable. Like most restaurants, managers have basically free reign to do whatever they want. If you're lucky, you'll get a manager that is actually willing to work and help you out.

Cons

If you're NOT lucky, the managers can make the place a living hell. Lazy managers are commonplace here and will usually just watch by as you struggle to carry the ridiculous workload placed on you. Unfortunately, even if you do luck out and get a decent manager, corporate obnoxiously cycles them out every few months anyway so once again you'll be at the mercy of the luck of the draw.

Participate in the business; don't just expect the employees to do everything (including your jobs)

My experience has been great.

Current Employee - Shift Leader in Wheeling, WV
    Current Employee - Shift Leader in Wheeling, WV

I have been working at Bob Evans full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Bob Evans is a great company to work for. I have been treated with respect and my hard work is appreciated by all. The company promotes from within if u are willing to put in the hard work. I have been there for 13 years. They are family oriented and are very understanding about family needs.

Cons

Training of new employees is a little lacking lately. In my opinion they are turned lose to soon.

Take the time to see to it that new employees are thoroughly trained. I think you would have a higher retention rate. I have seen some new people that were set up for failure because they were not trained properly.

i love to work at bob evans unfourtantly lately i am been very dissatisfied with corporate decisions

Current Employee - Assistant General Manager in Huntington, WV
    Current Employee - Assistant General Manager in Huntington, WV

I have been working at Bob Evans

Pros

been in my life since i was a child was the only place i wanted to eat, majority of customers are great and friendly. worked with managers as an hourly employee that helped me focused and hardworking and had a genuine care of my progress into management. area coach was great with not relocating me away from my home and does a good job of explaining any situations that occur through his own knowledge.great employees overall.most employees do well in displaying the bob evans employee image and customers notice that no matter if there food may get burned or be cold somtimes.

Cons

corporate level management does not display the orginal and "realistic" bob evans image and seem to be obsessed with pleasing the stock holders and not store managment, store employees and most importantly the customers that is making the decision to eat at our location passing several others resteraunts on the way. health insurance has become terrible and is very expensive for the part you pay if you have a family, if you are only able to afford the low option plan one major illness or injury could prevent the rest of the health of your family. raise for mangers and employees are nearly impossible to get even when you overachieve and have a so called "good score card rating, i get the feeling that when inquiring for a raise the general manager is afraid to reccomend even if they think you deserve it. salary below standard from other restaraunts but in the past the other benifits such as the one weekend day off, and company events(summer picnic,xmas parties) made up for that.there is no incentive for hardwork and loyalty in tyring to meet or getting to very unreasonable goals. there always seems to be new job titles and jobs at corporate level every month but no finaicial oppurtunitys at store manegment level.there are reports created for reports that are already exsist for analyzing cost therefore making the general manager stuck in front of a computer all day or on the phone trying to explain to the area coach those cost while customer service suffers. profit is almost elusive due to the fact of poor direction and communication down through the levels of management mostly due to the fact of poor corporate decisions and lack of overall knowledge of the way bob evans came to be a place great to eat, work ,and viewed the BEST resteraunt.

getting back to the original values and image is the direction that needs to happen. menu is getting way to big and is sometimes confusing to customer and unreasonable to achieve the food cooking time goals and server selling requirments as well as making training very difficult. lets make it simple stupid as i was once told by an admired managment mentor still working with the company.

HORRIBLE place to work!!!

I have been working at Bob Evans

Pros

The money can be good...sometimes.

Cons

Management treats you like a piece of crap. They expect too much out of servers. If someone orders water its held against you. You can absolutely be wrote up if your customers dont order soda or coffee. You are looked at as a number and someone just there to get the work done. You cant take time off EVER if you are part time unless you get someone to cover your shift. You are belittled, talked down to, and literally treated like a piece of garbage. I personally feel like Ive been mentally "mind raped" when I leave work. Evidently its ok for store managers and assistants to treat their employees with no respect or dignity. I have to say this is the WORST job Ive ever had and wouldnt recommend a convict on death row working there. There is favortism, bosses being "best friends" with certain employees and management talks badly of certain employees with other employees. I have been in the restaurant business for years and have NEVER seen the types of things that go on at Bob Evans compared to other restaurants. Ethically, they should be shut down. Period.

Treat your employees like human beings. Dont scream and belittle employees and make them feel like they are at the bottom of the food chain. Honestly, just treat people with respect and you might not have such a high turnover rate. F@@k Bob Evans Restaurants. Ive never hated anything more in my entire life than I do the people that run the place.

Managers had little respect for employees, and even less for them having lives outside of work.

Former Employee - Kitchen Prep in Morgantown, WV
    Former Employee - Kitchen Prep in Morgantown, WV

I worked at Bob Evans

Pros

Bob Evans is will to give you plenty of hours of time, since they are always under staffed. Opportunity to learn other basic jobs is also encouraged.

Cons

Managers are so desperate to get workers scheduled that they don't care what times you list as available to work, they schedule you as they see fit, then blame you for not being able to work those times. Also, not training is provided at the beginning of employment.

Realize that your employees are people too, not just tools for you to use. Train them before expecting perfect performance, at least. Stop interfering with them while they are working. In general, take some classes on management, because I ran into very few competent managers throughout several branches.

Personally, I hated it.

Former Employee - Server in Cross Lanes, WV
    Former Employee - Server in Cross Lanes, WV

I worked at Bob Evans

Pros

You make cash daily as a server.

Cons

Management keeps your charge tips for two weeks - they come in your check, not by cashing out. You, the employee, have to find your replacement if you want to take your vacation or a day off, even months in advance. If you earn vacation time, you lose it if you quit or are fired - for example, you take your vacation in December and the company pays ALL vacations out in the spring. Quit or get fired between your vacation and the spring, you lose that pay. I felt like the staff are just bodies doing a job.

Stop keeping your servers' pay for two weeks so you can make interest off it. That's a serious a*hole move.

The cons outweigh the pros here!

I have been working at Bob Evans

Pros

One of the best reasons for working at Bob Evans is the flexibility in picking up shifts or giving away shifts when needed. Management generally allows this as long as it's not abused too much. Also, if you are a hard worker that is dependable, when you do need time off they are pretty understanding at the store I work at.

If you are lucky enough to be hired as a full time employee, the health insurance is really good. However, it doesn't matter (as a server) if you consistently work full time hours. You have to be given a "full time" job status in the computer by your GM. As far as servers go, they only allow 2 to be "full time" in our store, even though many of us work full time hours consistently. All employees, full or part time, can contribute to a 401 k that is matched once per year.

The employee discount for food is 50%, allowed only once during a shift worked. Which is a pretty good discount. We do have really good, home-cooked style food. Even if most of it comes in frozen or prepackaged. We have 6 microwaves in our store.

Another plus, is that servers do not pay tip share. We don't serve alcohol, so no bartenders. We do have hosts but no bussers. We use a partner system when in stations. We generally have one very large station that we share with one other server, taking turns with tables. I've actually had 8-10 tables at one time. Tables here are unlimited and there is no limit to how many people you wait on in a party. I've had 20-25 people in parties to myself. Which can also be a huge con when waiting other tables!

Cons

There are lots of downsides to being a server, as well. As afore mentioned, there are no bussers. This adds to an already stressful job when very busy. Not to mention, this can be very unsanitary. It is hard to continuously wash your hands, even though I try. I don't want to get sick either. ;-) Plus, my apron gets absolutely filthy when bussing tables on busy shifts. Very unappealing to customers I'm sure.

The amount of sidework before, during and after a shift is atrocious! I have never had to do so much work for a server job in my life! I've worked at other chains and we easily do double to triple the amount of work others do. For every 3 hours you wait tables you have done about 2 hours of additional work not waiting tables. Plus, this is the only place I've ever worked where I've had managers expect me to clock out while waiting for silverware to be washed, or while rolling silverware or finishing sidework.

One particular manager doesn't like to be alone with the guys while closing and she will ask one of the female servers to stay up to 2 hours longer at 2.13 an hour. If you are lucky, one of the hosts get stuck with the job.

Many times hosts seat stations close to the door and ignore outer lying stations until it gets busy. Then they fill those stations at once. Very frustrating and can really hurt tips. Managers will sometimes say things to them, but never really hold them accountable, so it happens constantly.

There is no automatic 15-20% gratuity on parties. You are on your own. You will work your tail off with free refills on specialty drinks that have up six ingredients like our caramel mocha coffeed drink. Plus, get soups and salads and breads (that also have free refills). You will prebus and then bus and clean this filthy mess of a table and them receive $3 on a $100 tab. Extremely frustrating. Here the more people you have, the more work you do and less of a tip you receive.

We have this wonderful thing called a B.E.S.T. card. It is given to employees for giving their very best when doing an extraordinary job. It is basically one free meal ticket. But, includes your drink and dessert. Unfortunately, these are never given to the employees that do give their best on a daily basis. These cards are given to employees that do the worst possible job every day. The laziest of the laziest. But, when they actually try and do their job just once they are given a best card. It is the most unbelievable thing I have ever seen. So, basically the employees who work the hardest and give it their best everyday go unnoticed or acknowledged because this is what is expected of them. However, if you are a lazy SOB that takes a smoke break every 15 minutes and talks on your cell phone during our busiest times, you will love our reward system. You have to do your job efficiently just once, and get rewarded!! Good for you!

As far as management goes, most really aren't very competent. I believe them to be the lowest paid management staff in probably all of the restaurant industry. You get what you pay for. However, the benefits I do hear are good. Maybe it's a trade off, I don't know. I'm honestly shocked, absolutely floored at times, at the people who do get promoted into management there. Then I'm not surprised at all when I hear of the same people stepping down because they can't handle the stress and responsibility. Not to mention we are in the hospitality biz. Some of these guys and gals are anything but hospitable!

Staff wise, it is a large variety like every store. They come, they go. We have a handful that has been around for years and will probably be there for many more. All and all are staff gets along pretty well. Dishwashers can be rude and insulting. A few of the grill cooks can be really nasty at times, and will purposely screw up your food. They don't care. They get paid the same regardless. However, they know they can screw your tip up for you. Every now and then they get a slap on the wrist, but for the most part they have free reign to slop up plates and send out cold food. The only thing that can stop that is a server who refuses to send out that kind of food. Every now and then the managers expo the food. But, I've actually seen the managers tray the food and leave it out of the window to get cold with no one to run the food.

I really think the big picture is missed in this restaurant. The goal is to give the customer what they come in for. Great food and great service at a great price. If we consistently fail at this, then they won't come back. We need all the sales we can get. Without the sales, our labor looks terrible, our food and beverage costs go up, our operating costs go up. If we focus on serving quality food efficiently and effectively everytime, those sales will stay up and go up. Too many times we let that ball drop because the managers aren't present out front to make sure the cooks our serving food up to par and on time. They don't notice when servers are missing because they are out back smoking again or on their cell phones. They don't notice that the hosts are having a gossip fest while the line is gathering at the register or guests are waiting to be seated. And when that ball gets dropped, those same managers fail to repair the damage that is done and we lose those guests forever when they walk out the door unhappy and unsatisfied.

Bob Evans Photos