Bob's Discount Furniture

Retail Rocketship

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Wilmington, DE
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Wilmington, DE

I have been working at Bob's Discount Furniture full-time for less than a year

Pros

Lots of opportunity to advance, Bob's has thorough training and paths for success. Many are surprised to learn that the company has been in business over 23 years and has never had a sale. Prices are very low because they work on volume with minimal markup over cost and have tremendous buying power. All 51 stores sell the exact same product. All products are in stock for fast delivery. As a veteran furniture sales associate it is easy to work with customers because the product info and pricing are clearly displayed and do not change. I enjoy the honest and no gimmick core values of the brand.

Cons

The workday can be exhausting as the store is very busy all the time. The store I work in has a large room called "Bob's Pit" where damaged and discontinued products are sold. It can be frustrating when you work with a customer for a while in the store only to have them walk into "Bob's Pit" and buy the second quality version for half price. I have read critical reviews about "Bob's" online only to find out that the customer bought the damaged product in "Bob's Pit" where sales are clearly marked as final, cash and carry.

Provide a rest area for employees. There is a very small lunchroom with vending machines but it is does not give you the "break" from all the hustle and bustle of the job.

All the makings of a soap opera in a retail furniture store.

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Flushing, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Flushing, NY

I worked at Bob's Discount Furniture full-time for more than a year

Pros

Diverse group of employees and customers.
    Opportunities for personal growth
    Above-average earnings potential
    Great training program

Cons

Little to no opportunities for advancement
    No opportunities to transition to other areas/departments in company
    Disconnect between corporate and individual stores
    Buyers for the company ignore sales associate feedback as it relates to consumer demands.
    Stores built with little concern to demographics and community culture.

Awesome

I have been working at Bob's Discount Furniture

Pros

service leadership sales personal growth

Cons

not enough in stock and needs more updates

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

sucky service

I worked at Bob's Discount Furniture

Pros

cheap furniture and hot sales guys

Cons

delivery is usually a nightmare

go back to school and be something

Very Stressful

Former Employee - Customer Care Representative
    Former Employee - Customer Care Representative

I worked at Bob's Discount Furniture full-time for more than a year

Pros

Got to meet some really nice co-workers:
    Bob's did offer free turkeys at Thanksgiving
    Got to meet Bob Kaufmann once, very genuine person.

Cons

Customer Care Agent :: Management always depicting your calls, getting screamed at by customers, no back up from supervisors, always getting written up if you were out sick, never enough help on the phones, your training for new procedures was read this hand out and take a quiz. Management more concerned with get the customer off the phone as quickly as possible even if the customer had a lengthy or severe issue. Bob's just does not care !!! All they care is take your money and promise you the world and BOOM the customer is screwed,

how about Management take a day and take these phone calls and see what life in Customer Care is really like.
    They think it so easy, NOT !!!!!!!!!.

Good Managers= Good place to work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Monmouth Junction, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Monmouth Junction, NJ

I worked at Bob's Discount Furniture full-time

Pros

Free thanksgiving turkeys, uncapped commissions, free cookies and coffee, paid training. Bobs as a whole has a good culture and do their best to have sales people succeed.

Cons

Everything depends on if you have good managers (sales, office, store). The managers at the store I worked at were lazy and incompetent. There was a major disconnect between the managers and sales people. The only reason we hit our numbers most of the time was because sales people had familiies to feed, but they cared less about the managers and what they had to say. When numbers were not meet or declined they talked down to sales people like children and did nothing to contribute to the success of the store. They often would sit around on their phones but would yell at sales people for being on their phones. They certainly did not lead by example and some of the worst leadership and managers skills I have ever seen or worked for. The chance to be promoted or considered for promotion depended on if you were "friends" or "liked" by the managers, not by performance. HR is a complete joke and is often very close with managers, so complaining about them mainly put a target on your back and nothing was done to resolve issues or complaints. If managers did not like you they would find ways to get rid of you and sometimes even set you up to get fired.

Chose very carefully who you chose as managers, get anonymous feedback from sales people about the performance of their managers. Restructure the HR department

Great working place

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Salem, NH
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Salem, NH

I have been working at Bob's Discount Furniture full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great managers. Friendly work environment. When the store is busy you make money

Cons

Hiring to many people. Sometimes on a slow day we have 10-15 sales associates waiting for an hour.

Work on getting the negative sales associates out. They bring the morale down.

Sales Rep

I have been working at Bob's Discount Furniture full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great pay! Easy job.

Cons

Highs and lows of commission sales.

I would probably still be there if there were different managers

Former Employee - Office Manager
    Former Employee - Office Manager

I worked at Bob's Discount Furniture full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

free coffee, pay ok, free turkey for thanksgiving

Cons

This company expects you to work, and have no outside life or other employment. Promotions only occur if someone is fired or leaves to another location, opportunity to move up takes years, unless you know how to "play the game"

Human Resources should really be more careful in who they hire to run stores, steer away from unprofessional people who back-stab and harass employees. The company should also consider hiring differently in their human resources department, human resources should be people you feel comfortable going to.

It was friendly

Former Employee - Office Assistant  in  Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Office Assistant in Arlington, VA

I worked at Bob's Discount Furniture full-time for more than a year

Pros

That after ninety days you get 30% discount.

Cons

Having to have to work every weekend!

Management was great easy to communicate with, training was good it had it perks benefits were ok.

Worked for Bob's Discount Furniture? Contribute to the Community!