Bodek and Rhodes Reviews

1. Good but not Great

Former Employee - Inside Sales in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Inside Sales in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Bodek and Rhodes full-time

Pros

They have Fantastic Warehouses and Logistics. The owners are very good to their employees and they make sound, conservative decisions to keep the company safe. It can be a bit rough as a sales rep to walk away from deals but in the big picture it makes a ton of sense.

Cons

Head of HR plays too big a role in the day to day of many positions. They look for and hire for experience but for any of the sales and customer service positions it is completely disregarded as soon as you walk in the door.

Advice to Management

Anything that the head of HR doesn't get involved in (marketing and warehouse operations) runs as well if not better than any other company in your industry. The other departments are rife with stress and dysfunction. See the pattern

2. Account Representative

Current Employee - Account Representative in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Account Representative in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Bodek and Rhodes full-time

Pros

People are great to work with.

Cons

Account Representative are under paid

Advice to Management

Start your Account Representative off with 15.00

3. One of the lucky ones.

Current Employee - Supervisor in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Bodek and Rhodes (More than 8 years)

Pros

Weekends off, and casual dress code.

Cons

Management is completely two faced, and plays favorites, while disregarding actual performance. I've been very lucky to become one of the few to advance in both title, and salary, but what I've witnessed take place to the employees is down right embarrassing. They allow people to continue their employment there despite the following : walking off the job, theft, constant lateness, no shows, well below average performance, missing money; these people are allowed to continue as long as they remain friends with the right people. Those who do not participate in the daily rumor mill, and general phoniness are at a severe disadvantage. Rumors spread like wild fire, all the way up to the top, and are used as grounds for punishment or termination with no evidence whatsoever, and they are able to get away with it because the majority of the employees are temporary. The supervisors only have the illusion of control, and there is absolutely no chain of command. Human resources will erase any level of discipline from the books for "the right people". Bottom line is the Job is easy enough in itself, and the pay is mediocre, but to work there you have to be able to put up with a ton of nonsense, and well as the general below average intelligence of the majority of the management team.

Advice to Management

Run the operation like an actual place of business, and not a social club.

Sales data more important than sales

I worked at Bodek and Rhodes full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Not many - it's a paying job.

Cons

Too much time spent on mandatory data entry after hours. Analyzing sales data, account numbers, projections and strategies on a daily basis is a must therefore taking hours to do. Since you are expected to sell from 8am until 6pm, nights and weekends are spent on the rest of job expectations. Outside sales with very large territories requiring a lot of overnight travel or hours of driving. Excessive amounts of sample products, trade show equipment and sales calateral requires you to get a storage unit (which company doesn't even reimburse 75% of the cost) or you can have the boxes and racks take over your garage. Your car becomes a one person rolling shed full to the roof with required items. Compensation is average at best and with multiple changes to the bonus plans over the years, total package is low given the amount of time spent working and the time away from home. Health benefits are nothing special at all and don't start for 90 days - not what's commonly being offered in today's market. If you are single, don't date, no kids or family and friends and love to work - outside sales at BandR is for you.

Advice to Management

Allow sales team to sell - move account management duties to inside analysts.

6. Great environment.

Current Employee - Customer Service in Phila, PA
    Current Employee - Customer Service in Phila, PA

I have been working at Bodek and Rhodes full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great coworkers, amazing management teams.

Cons

70s style offices, lack of employee directory makes it hard to figure out who everyone is and what they do.

7. Great place to work but it was a temp job through Ever staff Staffing.

Former Employee - Order Selector in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Order Selector in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Bodek and Rhodes full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I liked working there because I like to order picked and stock put away in which I do enjoy doing

Cons

Tome there was none it was perfect for me.

Advice to Management

Raise the pay the work that is required from the order selectors does not equal in the pay it is far more work

8. I endured most of the nineteen years triple plateaued and patiently waiting for a promotion that never came.

Former Employee - Clerical in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Clerical in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Bodek and Rhodes full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

It's a good starting point up to ten years. Compensation is low, but there are some benefits in health insurance and off times. Good chance to be a pet, especially if Jewish It's a nice family company.

Cons

I had no life, for I cannot say anything balanced. However there is really nothing but dead ends with this company and blatant favoritism. After ten years, the pressure builds to leave as the benefits top out and the increases do not keep up with inflation. Loyalty means nothing if one overriding member in human resources decides to abate an employee, even to the extent of forcing restructuring to eliminate the job.

Advice to Management

Upper management does not need my advice as long as the market keeps expanding. Once it matures and begins to decline, all the favoritism and the lack of loyalty to merit will press heavily on this company. It may be part of an oligopoly and a family business, but that does not shelter it from business disasters because it refused to open opportunities to the talented employees it either discourages to leave or to be laid off.

9. IF YOU ARE NOT FAMILY FORGET ABOUT IT if you are content with no career advancement this is the place for you.

Former Employee - Sales Support Associate in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Sales Support Associate in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Bodek and Rhodes full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Get to wear jeans everyday and sales is pretty laid back they have a lot of loyal clients

Cons

The building is old lots of old folks working here I ONE man was in his 80's its like a nursing home. I worked in sales as SSA pay 15 an hour… real low compared to when I left I was offered 21 a hour. If you are looking to move up in your career forget about it everyone from the CEO to HR is family members and unless you a family member forget about it.

Advice to Management

Pay your people more and stop telling the lie that you have a lot of tenured people. Yes people over 45 . But people under 40 I would say last about a year and half tops. I say just milk it for whats it worth and move on I sure did.

10. Nice people, but low pay.

Current Employee - Sales Support Associate in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Sales Support Associate in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Bodek and Rhodes full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun place to work most of the time. Above average healthcare coverage. Company pays your co-pay for hospital stays.

Cons

Salaries are low and paid time off is nearly non-existent until you've been there for 5 years. 401K match is low and takes 5 years be fully vested. Office is old and crummy, no windows.

Advice to Management

Should have moved to a more modern facility, and people need more paid time off than 3 days a year.

11. Severely Underemployed and Should Have Left Long Ago

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phila, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phila, PA

I worked at Bodek and Rhodes full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

family-owned business pleasant atmosphere growing market relatively friendly coworkers

Cons

low pay lack of advancement too much plateauing lack of feedback from management

Advice to Management

There should be a better policy for advancement.

RSS Feed </> Embed