Bodek and Rhodes

Michael Rhodes

Great environment.

Current Employee - Customer Service in Phila, PA
    Current Employee - Customer Service in Phila, PA

I have been working at Bodek and Rhodes full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great coworkers, amazing management teams.

Cons

70s style offices, lack of employee directory makes it hard to figure out who everyone is and what they do.

Sales data more important than sales

I worked at Bodek and Rhodes full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Not many - it's a paying job.

Cons

Too much time spent on mandatory data entry after hours. Analyzing sales data, account numbers, projections and strategies on a daily basis is a must therefore taking hours to do. Since you are expected to sell from 8am until 6pm, nights and weekends are spent on the rest of job expectations.

Outside sales with very large territories requiring a lot of overnight travel or hours of driving. Excessive amounts of sample products, trade show equipment and sales calateral requires you to get a storage unit (which company doesn't even reimburse 75% of the cost) or you can have the boxes and racks take over your garage. Your car becomes a one person rolling shed full to the roof with required items.

Compensation is average at best and with multiple changes to the bonus plans over the years, total package is low given the amount of time spent working and the time away from home. Health benefits are nothing special at all and don't start for 90 days - not what's commonly being offered in today's market.

If you are single, don't date, no kids or family and friends and love to work - outside sales at BandR is for you.

Allow sales team to sell - move account management duties to inside analysts.

Great place to work but it was a temp job through Ever staff Staffing.

Former Employee - Order Selector in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Order Selector in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Bodek and Rhodes full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I liked working there because I like to order picked and stock put away in which I do enjoy doing

Cons

Tome there was none it was perfect for me.

Raise the pay the work that is required from the order selectors does not equal in the pay it is far more work

Working as a Freelancer

Former Employee - Illustrator in Phila, PA
    Former Employee - Illustrator in Phila, PA

I worked at Bodek and Rhodes as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

I loved working with my supervisor, he had great advice and was very patient. Working with him made it so I understood copywrite very distinctly at a time where I was very new to the industry.

Cons

As awesome as my supervisor was it still came down to creating reusable work for the company.

I endured most of the nineteen years triple plateaued and patiently waiting for a promotion that never came.

Former Employee - Clerical in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Clerical in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Bodek and Rhodes full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

It's a good starting point up to ten years.
    Compensation is low, but there are some benefits in health insurance and off times.
    Good chance to be a pet, especially if Jewish
    It's a nice family company.

Cons

I had no life, for I cannot say anything balanced. However there is really nothing but dead ends with this company and blatant favoritism. After ten years, the pressure builds to leave as the benefits top out and the increases do not keep up with inflation. Loyalty means nothing if one overriding member in human resources decides to abate an employee, even to the extent of forcing restructuring to eliminate the job.

Upper management does not need my advice as long as the market keeps expanding. Once it matures and begins to decline, all the favoritism and the lack of loyalty to merit will press heavily on this company. It may be part of an oligopoly and a family business, but that does not shelter it from business disasters because it refused to open opportunities to the talented employees it either discourages to leave or to be laid off.

IF YOU ARE NOT FAMILY FORGET ABOUT IT if you are content with no career advancement this is the place for you.

Former Employee - Sales Support Associate in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Sales Support Associate in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Bodek and Rhodes full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Get to wear jeans everyday and sales is pretty laid back they have a lot of loyal clients

Cons

The building is old lots of old folks working here I ONE man was in his 80's its like a nursing home. I worked in sales as SSA pay 15 an hour… real low compared to when I left I was offered 21 a hour. If you are looking to move up in your career forget about it everyone from the CEO to HR is family members and unless you a family member forget about it.

Pay your people more and stop telling the lie that you have a lot of tenured people. Yes people over 45 . But people under 40 I would say last about a year and half tops. I say just milk it for whats it worth and move on I sure did.

Nice people, but low pay.

Current Employee - Sales Support Associate in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Sales Support Associate in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Bodek and Rhodes full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Fun place to work most of the time. Above average healthcare coverage. Company pays your co-pay for hospital stays.

Cons

Salaries are low and paid time off is nearly non-existent until you've been there for 5 years. 401K match is low and takes 5 years be fully vested. Office is old and crummy, no windows.

Should have moved to a more modern facility, and people need more paid time off than 3 days a year.

Severely Underemployed and Should Have Left Long Ago

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phila, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phila, PA

I worked at Bodek and Rhodes full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

family-owned business
    pleasant atmosphere
    growing market
    relatively friendly coworkers

Cons

low pay
    lack of advancement
    too much plateauing
    lack of feedback from management

There should be a better policy for advancement.

Horrible sales environment 1%on sales really ??!?

Current Employee - Inside Sales in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Inside Sales in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Bodek and Rhodes

Pros

I want to start off by saying Ian a great worker and not a worker who doesn't want to work ...only good thing bout this place is you can wear anything to work no dress code

Cons

Family owned meaning no oppt for growth ....They make you share accts with others reps who don't even work on the acct.senior management has accts and have sales assistants Do all the work and they get paid off it .commsions is joke I'm a sales rep and never in my years of sales has the commsion rate been 1% and 2% and certain brand people only work hear because of Kay offs in Philadelphia area and turn over is very high STAY AwAy

I don't know it you look at pay scales in area but it's very low 8K on base on average and commsions a joke hello that's why you have high turn over

Bodek and Rhodes – “If you aren't family, forget it...”

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Bodek and Rhodes

Pros

The people are very nice. Laid-back work environment. Jeans, tees and sneakers are ok to wear although some come dressed business casual.

Cons

Warehouse environment. Family owned business. If you are family you are well compensated. If not, you are treated like a second-class citizen. No sick days or personal days - just 10 days vacation. Everyone regardless of effort gets the same percentage of pay raise.

Treat everyone equally with same benefits. Treat them like they are human, not one step up from neanderthals. Share information within the department.

Bodek and Rhodes Photos