Bodek and Rhodes

Michael Rhodes

Great environment.

Current Employee - Customer Service in Phila, PA
    Current Employee - Customer Service in Phila, PA

I have been working at Bodek and Rhodes full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great coworkers, amazing management teams.

Cons

70s style offices, lack of employee directory makes it hard to figure out who everyone is and what they do.

Great place to work but it was a temp job through Ever staff Staffing.

Former Employee - Order Selector in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Order Selector in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Bodek and Rhodes full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I liked working there because I like to order picked and stock put away in which I do enjoy doing

Cons

Tome there was none it was perfect for me.

Raise the pay the work that is required from the order selectors does not equal in the pay it is far more work

Working as a Freelancer

Former Employee - Illustrator in Phila, PA
    Former Employee - Illustrator in Phila, PA

I worked at Bodek and Rhodes as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

I loved working with my supervisor, he had great advice and was very patient. Working with him made it so I understood copywrite very distinctly at a time where I was very new to the industry.

Cons

As awesome as my supervisor was it still came down to creating reusable work for the company.

I endured most of the nineteen years triple plateaued and patiently waiting for a promotion that never came.

Former Employee - Clerical in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Clerical in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Bodek and Rhodes full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

It's a good starting point up to ten years.
    Compensation is low, but there are some benefits in health insurance and off times.
    Good chance to be a pet, especially if Jewish
    It's a nice family company.

Cons

I had no life, for I cannot say anything balanced. However there is really nothing but dead ends with this company and blatant favoritism. After ten years, the pressure builds to leave as the benefits top out and the increases do not keep up with inflation. Loyalty means nothing if one overriding member in human resources decides to abate an employee, even to the extent of forcing restructuring to eliminate the job.

Upper management does not need my advice as long as the market keeps expanding. Once it matures and begins to decline, all the favoritism and the lack of loyalty to merit will press heavily on this company. It may be part of an oligopoly and a family business, but that does not shelter it from business disasters because it refused to open opportunities to the talented employees it either discourages to leave or to be laid off.

IF YOU ARE NOT FAMILY FORGET ABOUT IT if you are content with no career advancement this is the place for you.

Former Employee - Sales Support Associate in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Sales Support Associate in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Bodek and Rhodes full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Get to wear jeans everyday and sales is pretty laid back they have a lot of loyal clients

Cons

The building is old lots of old folks working here I ONE man was in his 80's its like a nursing home. I worked in sales as SSA pay 15 an hour… real low compared to when I left I was offered 21 a hour. If you are looking to move up in your career forget about it everyone from the CEO to HR is family members and unless you a family member forget about it.

Pay your people more and stop telling the lie that you have a lot of tenured people. Yes people over 45 . But people under 40 I would say last about a year and half tops. I say just milk it for whats it worth and move on I sure did.

Nice people, but low pay.

Current Employee - Sales Support Associate in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Sales Support Associate in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Bodek and Rhodes full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Fun place to work most of the time. Above average healthcare coverage. Company pays your co-pay for hospital stays.

Cons

Salaries are low and paid time off is nearly non-existent until you've been there for 5 years. 401K match is low and takes 5 years be fully vested. Office is old and crummy, no windows.

Should have moved to a more modern facility, and people need more paid time off than 3 days a year.

Severely Underemployed and Should Have Left Long Ago

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phila, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phila, PA

I worked at Bodek and Rhodes full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

family-owned business
    pleasant atmosphere
    growing market
    relatively friendly coworkers

Cons

low pay
    lack of advancement
    too much plateauing
    lack of feedback from management

There should be a better policy for advancement.

Horrible sales environment 1%on sales really ??!?

Current Employee - Inside Sales in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Inside Sales in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Bodek and Rhodes

Pros

I want to start off by saying Ian a great worker and not a worker who doesn't want to work ...only good thing bout this place is you can wear anything to work no dress code

Cons

Family owned meaning no oppt for growth ....They make you share accts with others reps who don't even work on the acct.senior management has accts and have sales assistants Do all the work and they get paid off it .commsions is joke I'm a sales rep and never in my years of sales has the commsion rate been 1% and 2% and certain brand people only work hear because of Kay offs in Philadelphia area and turn over is very high STAY AwAy

I don't know it you look at pay scales in area but it's very low 8K on base on average and commsions a joke hello that's why you have high turn over

Bodek and Rhodes – “If you aren't family, forget it...”

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Bodek and Rhodes

Pros

The people are very nice. Laid-back work environment. Jeans, tees and sneakers are ok to wear although some come dressed business casual.

Cons

Warehouse environment. Family owned business. If you are family you are well compensated. If not, you are treated like a second-class citizen. No sick days or personal days - just 10 days vacation. Everyone regardless of effort gets the same percentage of pay raise.

Treat everyone equally with same benefits. Treat them like they are human, not one step up from neanderthals. Share information within the department.

Good ol' boys, family environment that hazes new employees

I worked at Bodek and Rhodes full-time

Pros

The pay is decent and you get major discounts on their private label Ultraclub brand, Adidas, Izod, Cubavera and other top brands. Alan is also a grade A trainer.

Cons

* Good ol' boys environment masquerading as a "family" company. The tenured employees there generally hate when anyone new is hired and even haze them through intentionally giving misinformation, stealing lunches, etc.
    * Complete and utter disconnect between Human Resources management and reality. They think that the practices of this company are normal. Giving no 10 or 15 minute breaks and expecting employees to work 5 or 6 hours straight is uncalled for.
    * "Pass the buck": No one there takes responsibility and transferring customers from department to department is apropros. Any new blood that tries to change this mentality is met with mistreatment by the seasoned veterans.
    * No overtime but the day doesn't end at 530: Even though you don't get overtime, it's frowned upon if you don't leave at 540 or 545. If you are one minute early leaving or one minute late, you are docked 15 minutes from pay.
    * Chilling, negative enivronment: Everyone who "mentors" you will air their dirty laundry about the company, spread rumors, give you misinformation. Even was given a link by MANAGEMENT about bad reviews about this company on this website.
    * Backward technology: Database is from 1997, all computers have Windows XP, Internet access banned for any employees below sales.
    * Supports hazing and harassment: Was told by an employee there that male and female employees regularly use quid pro quo to promote people and that if your'e not married into the Rhodes family, you'll never get past middle management.
    * Unprofessional sales team: Ever see Boiler Room? Yeah. It's 2012 and it's surprising this place hasn't been slapped with a class action lawsuit. It's totally acceptable there that customers call in using homophobic slurs.
    * The President "hates" rumors yet the entire time I worked there, rumors swirled about other employees.
    * People steal your lunches. They claim to have a camera that can see the refrigerator yet refuse to rewind tape when stolen lunches are reported.
    * Inconvenient to public transit: No sidewalks, cops pull you over if they see you walking in bike lane.

Get with the times, you can't hide from being exposed any more thanks to the Internet. Fox 29 should be told about this place.

Bodek and Rhodes Photos