Body Central

www.bodyc.com

Body Central Reviews

Updated Jul 29, 2014
Body Central – US – “Cash Wrap”

Body Central – US – “Cash Wrap”

Body Central President, CEO, and Director B. Allen Weinstein

B. Allen Weinstein

Pros
  • The only thing good is the 40% discount you get on merchandise (in 15 reviews)

• Great discount with a fun upbeat eniviroment great job to start retail management career (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • No appreciation or communication from upper management (in 7 reviews)

• It seems no one feels optimistic or secure (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

I loved my job.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosi got to do what i loved.

ConsI was in college full time.

The company does not give its employees the resources they need to be successful

Store Manager (Former Employee) Christiansburg, VA

ProsThe only pro is the 40% discount on clothes. Store Managers are also eligible for a monthly bonus if you meet the sales target.

ConsI came in as a brand new Store Manager and was appalled at the state of the store. They had at least 20 large boxes of damages from over the last 3 years, as well as at least a years worth of clearance taking up all of the Z-bars in the back, not to mention 13 additional large boxes of clearance that was supposed to have been recalled, but was not. Most of the store's merchandise had not been marked down to the correct prices either, which explains why they had so much clearance backstocked- they weren't marking things down!
    The store was also literally falling apart, and the company would not send a maintenance tech to fix the problems. Doors were falling off of the cabinets in the front, 4 out of the 7 drawers were broken, one had the cover falling off with nails sticking out of it. The staff only had 2 out of their 4 sets of keys so the locks also had to be changed. Instead of sending a locksmith, the company mailed me a bag of lock columns and new keys with no directions. I had to have my boyfriend read me off directions from a youtube video to change the locks myself. The place was absolutely filthy- dead bugs under the gondolas, wads of dust bunnies in the corners, and gum EVERYWHERE- stuck to hardware, in the carpet, almost permanently part of the floor.
    There was absolutely no organization to the backroom at all. They were storing their signs and window clings on pants hangers so they were all torn and had holes in them, not to mention there were hundreds of signs that had not been thrown away. The hardware was not separated, so everybody wasted a massive amount of time just looking for the supplies they needed to complete their tasks.
    The management team before me had been cutting girls they didn't like from the schedule without telling them- I had to call someone to come in on their days off at least 4 out of my first 7 days. My "trainer", a manager from a store in a city nearby supported those decisions. She came in for 3 days, told me everything that was wrong with the merchandising, talked about how bad the girls were and how they hadn't been doing their jobs, but never actually trained me on anything. I was actually a special case, in that somebody came to the store to show me how to do some things, but the company gives zero training hours to new hires. I was lucky to get the 3 days. The staff had no idea what they were doing, in part because the company does not have any sort of training program, just a couple of 2 minute videos explaining how to sell things (for brand new sales associates). I kept asking if they had a manual or a merchandising book, but they don't have any of that either.
    You will literally never hit your sales target. The target for my store was planned up at least 20% to the sales last year. Completely unrealistic. The store I worked at was the poorest performing store in the district, with the next highest store nearly doubling our volume. The girls at the store were so poorly trained that all they would do is hang out behind the cashwrap all day. They had no idea how to do basic merchandising and cleaning tasks, like dust mopping, keeping things in size order, and I had no time to retrain them, because the company gives you major projects to complete every single day. They also receive shipment every single day, and want it out within 24 hours.
    The floorsets had little to no direction. The company sent us a floorset packet 3 days beforehand, with no styles numbers or specifics on what exactly should go where. You just have to guess by the picture. The company also routinely sends necessary stock and materials for the projects after the projects have already begun, or sometimes the day after. It was impossible to prep anything beforehand due to the lack of things like pants hangers, which also cannot be ordered with supplies.
    The other store managers and the girls at the store were very gossipy and two-faced, which is never something I am willing to deal with in any part of my life. People say it happens everywhere, but it definitely wasn't a problem at my last store. Everybody should be able to be courteous and respectful at work, even if you don't get along.
    Basically, I do not believe the store I inherited is salvageable. The problems there are systemic. I was often told "you can only do so much, just do what you can get done," and to "not be such a perfectionist." I was not aware that wanting to do things correctly so that I would not have to go back and fix problems later would be discouraged. The attitude they tried to impart to me was the attitude that got the store into the position it is in the first place.

Advice to Senior ManagementI told my DM I thought the company would be wise to close the store now instead of trying to invest the time and money into turning it around. Don't allow mediocrity! It is possible for things to be done correctly without requiring perfection. If you invest the time in training your girls, you would have fewer problems meeting your sales goals!

Great Concept but work disappointing

Sales Associate (Current Employee)

ProsGreat discount
    Some managers are friendly

ConsHorrible wages that are not competitive, required to meet sales goals with little to no recognition or sales bonus for the hard work. Lack of full time positions and leadership may be weak at some locations as far as fairness and teamwork. Very old and outdated tactics and this company needs a boost in products offered to customers to create a better shopping environment to be able to compete with bigger companies like h&m and forever 21 but the potential is there just switch the clothes out sometimes they repeat every year.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would go around to each store and listen to the sales associates who are on the floor everyday who sells the product and get advice based on trends, customers likes and dislikes because the sales associates see this everyday and would help with an edge for Body Central which has sooo much potential. I would also try to get some fresh ideas for clothing and accessories as well as fresh and young people selecting them.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Dissatisfied

Assistant Manager (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsMy discount is nice, (some of) my coworkers are fun to work with, work-life balance is so-so. Full-time benefits are really good.

ConsI've been with the company for less than six months and I'm ready to find somewhere new. Everyday is a challenge here, from the unrealistic task load to providing customer service to women who don't desire my help from entry to fitting room to checkout. A lot of hiring and firing, threats of getting written up has become my life here.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet it together corporate! Find out your target market because "her" is a broad range of high school girls to elderly women. Once the target is found then a brand image can be projected and merchandise for that target market can be purchased and sold and profit can be made. There's too much emphasis on creating a visual appeal for a budget conscious consumer they need better promotions / ways to save and better product to purchase. The competition is killing us!

Assistant Manager

Assistant Manager (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsIf you like sitting still and being bored this is NOT the job for you, at BC you should NEVER be bored, there is always something to do. Some may see this as a negative, but if you are a "hit the ground running" type of person that needs to really WORK to feel satisfied then this might be for you. Also, the discount is great! The environment is upbeat, energetic and LOUD! Like a party you get paid to Host!

ConsNot enough communication from upper management, sometime an overload of work, not always enough hours in the day to get everything done.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think it would be beneficial to schedule MORE one on one time for meetings with the district managers and store managers to meet. Also, allowing more hours to get the tasks done. Sometimes hitting us hard with the changes require more time. Also recognizing that your buyers are failing you! People shop here for the awesome nightlife that has been long gone for a while now.

I'm very dis satisfied with my time at Body Central and would not recommend it to anyone.

Store Manager (Current Employee)

ProsI can not think of anything that is nice about this company other than you get a discount of 40% on there clothes.

ConsThe company will hire you under false expectations, no hours to cover store properly, to many task to complete leaves you feeling stressed non stop.There is no training program for new employees, store manager are given zero training hours to train new team members.

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelope a plan for success that is within resonable reach.

Undecided

Assistant Manager (Current Employee) Cincinnati, OH

ProsThe best part of working at body central is the discount and my Co workers

ConsHaving to work 9 hrs in order to get a lunch break, even if we work 7 hours we don't get a lunch break nor a 15 min break, my sm and Dm brought some one new in , which she don't know what she is doing but her pay is more then all but yet I ask for 1asm and was told I couldn't get it because we was making money, so how could they hire someone else and pay them more, and I do more work then her and my Dm ,

Advice to Senior ManagementShow your employees some appreciation,

cut throat

Store Manager (Former Employee)

ProsGreat discount for employees. Some really cute clothes. As a manager I had latitude on who I hired and what rate of pay I brought them in at.

ConsAs a store manager, make unrealistic sales goals or get fired. No if's and's or buts. Workload is ridiculous yet they preach selling and taking care of "her" the customer. No support from DM or RM. NOT a culture of taking care of people, people development, etc.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork on programs to develop your people- not just cram it down throats!

Wouldn't recommend it

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsDiscounts were nice, people were not.

ConsTime off policies weren't flexible.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone.

Assistant Manager

Assistant Manager (Former Employee) Saginaw, MI

ProsThe best part of working for BC is the 40% discount on reg priced merchandise and being able to keep up with the latest fashion.

ConsAs an experienced manager the pay was very low, so I would only recommend to someone looking for an entry level management job. There are floor sets every month that are long and draining with little pay roll.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter communication and realistic expectations.

Worked for Body Central? Contribute to the Community!