Bodybuilding.com

Updated December 17, 2014
Updated December 17, 2014
3.3

Ryan DeLuca

great experience overall, a really good company to work for in Boise

I have been working at Bodybuilding.com

Pros

great environment, motivating CEO, flexibility, great work life balance

Cons

Lots of people in positions they don't qualify for. Very slow moving decision making.

Love it or leave it.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boise, ID

I have been working at Bodybuilding.com full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Incredible benefits, great positive work environment, family-type atmosphere, upward opportunities, promote within, gym reimbursement and special perks.

Cons

Boys club, but it's changing. Slow to make change and accommodate growth.

Be more focused on the individual parts and pieces that form the bigger picture. If departments are overlooked or constantly refused forward movement, then it causes stagnation and lack of motivation/creativity within morale. Several people around me are tired of banging their head against a brick wall to make advancements in their business because we aren't the "big needle."

Local Bodybuilding Club or Enterprise Ecommerce Company?

I worked at Bodybuilding.com full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good salary for area. Great Benefits. Gym Membership. Almost Free Supplements.

Cons

C-Level's micro manage the entire company from shipping, design, development and marketing. Culture is very male oriented. Company is ran like a brown nosing club rather than a company with values that rewards skill and achievements.

Put people in VP and Director level positions because of their skillset not because they are good friends. Stop micro-managing every department. Let engineering and product related roles do their job.

Corporate is a blessing, Customer Service is a curse.

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Boise, ID
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Boise, ID

I worked at Bodybuilding.com full-time

Pros

Positive environment 100% of the time
    Fitness/life-changing oriented
    Always feel like a part of others' success
    Great company structure

Cons

Customer service has become overly-automated.
    Hard to break through to corporate and move up.
    Recently seen stunted growth after so much over the last few years! :(

Get a new boss in CS and stop firing lower-level managers who are key drivers.

Dynamic fast paced Internet retailer that provides exposure to a wide variety of legal and compliance issues.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boise, ID

I have been working at Bodybuilding.com full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Exciting opportunity to design the processes and systems to transform the company into an international global E retailer.

Cons

Need to work more aggressively to attract and retain needed talent.

Investment in IT resources can grow the business and position it or long term success.

High School Boy's Club

Former Employee - Content in Meridian, ID
    Former Employee - Content in Meridian, ID

I worked at Bodybuilding.com full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Used to be a great Meridian work location, but that has now changed.

Cons

- Upper Management fills middle management positions with high school buddies who are unqualified.
    - Poor Ethics
    - Homogeneous culture, doesn't accept diversity or free thinking
    - Extremely high turnover. Notice the same jobs popping up here again and again?

Worst Workplace Environment

Former Employee - SHIPPING SPECIALIST in Shiremanstown, PA
    Former Employee - SHIPPING SPECIALIST in Shiremanstown, PA

I worked at Bodybuilding.com full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Somewhat decent pay for the job title.

Cons

Horrible long hours. 10 hour days turned into 12-13 hour days on a regular weekly basis. Management took breaks away and very little notice given for mandatory overtime. They would call at 9:30-10:00 PM to tell us we had to come in early the next day. No notice when we would have to stay late either. Not a good job for someone with a life. The company wants you under their control so beware! The warehouse is very unsafe and some of the equipment doesn't work properly. This puts unnecessary stress on the employees as we have to deal with issues in getting the work done regardless if the equipment is broken or not. Not a very friendly environment as everyone is stressed and doesn't seem like they want to be there. Supervisors are very young and have little skill or training in the field. Very unprofessional workplace. Everything is done backwards and no communication exists between anyone. And when it comes time to for black Friday and cyber Monday you might as well say goodbye to your family for at least two weeks because you are forced to work everyday 13 + hour days with no day off until the work is complete. It is overwhelming as the company does not want to hire extra employees to get the work done. I could go on and on but my blood pressure is going up just thinking about that place.

I have no advice as management is located in Boise Idaho and has little communication with the warehouse in PA. This is the main problem. Even when you try to call and talk to HR they seem very standoffish and really don't seem to care. I have little hope with this company. Unless they make some drastic changes to the logistics of the warehouse and management changes I see the company getting worse.

HORRIBLE JOB!!! HORRIBLE MANAGEMENT!!!! RUN AWAY AS FAST AS YOU CAN!!!!

Former Employee - Scanner in Shiremanstown, PA
    Former Employee - Scanner in Shiremanstown, PA

I worked at Bodybuilding.com full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Health insurance for full time employees

Cons

WORST COMPANY EVER!!!! I have NEVER worked for such a more corrupt company in my life! The company makes millions of dollars (which they brag about and employees are constantly reminded of this), but for some reason they can’t afford to fix the broken equipment within the warehouse that causes many safety issues. The PA warehouse is severely understaffed and only hire temps. Temps do not stick around long though once they realize how crappy the job really is. Because they are understaffed, you will get a phone call at 9 or 10pm the night before, making it mandatory to come in an hour early the next day. Then, they expect you to be ok them taking away your lousy 10 minute break in the afternoon because there are so many orders and they panic about being behind. (So for 5 hours they expect you to keep up a good, fast pace without a break) They don’t realize this just makes people mad and does nothing to boost employee moral. Not only that, but the quota of 60 orders an hour for scanners is ridiculous. It wouldn’t be so bad if people actually shared the good orders but everyone is so worried about hitting their quota that if you are on the end of the line, its sometimes impossible. The supervisor walks around every hour to tell you how many you did that hour and even if it was 54 they tell you you need to work faster.
    Management is not properly trained in their positions. The highest education any of them had was high school. There is no communication between the supervisors. One will tell you one thing and another one will know nothing about it or tell you something completely different. They love to micromanage, so if you are smart, you will probably get fired for having an opinon.
    As for bonuses. HA! When I was hired, I was told at orientation that my bonus would get bigger the longer I was there. That all changed about 3 years ago. You bust your butt for this company for a minuscule bonus that you have to wonder if all that work was even worth it. They brag all the time about how much the company is making but I have yet to see it no matter how hard I worked.
    Come black Friday and Cyber Monday, you mide as well kiss your family goodbye for a week. It is mandatory to work from 5am or 6am to 8pm or 9pm every day until the work is done. The company doesn’t care if it’s your scheduled day off or if its your 8th day in a row. PA warehouse seems to be the one who takes on most of the grunt work. The other warehouses seem to be finished after the 3rd or 4th day. Plus working these long days, breaks are minimal. Its all about quantity.
    Unless you are friends with the supervisors (or their girlfriend - who gets away with workplace violence because she is untouchable) you might as well just show up and be a wallflower. You can NOT trust anyone in this place. One person who seems like a friend will turn around and give you up without any skin off their teeth.
    If you made it to this paragraph, I hope you will seriously consider NOT working for this company or spending any of your hard earned money on their website. Go to GNC instead!

Get an education and learn how to actually MANAGE people who work under you. Doing the book program, I actually got better educated in management than what management really is. Treat your employees like human beings and not just people who are there to get the boxes out. Taking away a 10 minute break just makes people go slower ... losing 0 minutes out of a day is better than losing a whole hour because after working 10 hours already, a break is needed to refresh and energize.

The reputation is accurate

I worked at Bodybuilding.com full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Launching pad for better things

Cons

Judgemental attitudes
    Promotions are frequently based on brown nosing/friendships/looks and not actual work produced
    Not a very female friendly work enviroment

Start to judge people based on their work rather then if they fit the image of the company. Treat people with respect and openness. Stick to a patch rather then constantly jumping around.

Wow

I worked at Bodybuilding.com full-time

Pros

Meeting great people. Fit and healthy lifestyle is promoted (duh).

Cons

People are promoted/hired that aren't fit for the job, but are hired because they are good friends with someone in the department they are applying to.
    Too many good people are fired without an explanation, policies and procedures are not followed by many; no consequences are given to those who are liked that don't follow the rules, but those who are not liked will be quickly fired.

Time to clean house...