Boehringer Ingelheim Pharmaceuticals
us.boehringer-ingelheim.com Ingelheim am Rhein, Germany 1000 to 5000 Employees

Boehringer Ingelheim Pharmaceuticals Reviews

Updated Apr 13, 2014
Boehringer Ingelheim Pharmaceuticals – Barcelona – “Boehringer Ingelheim”

Boehringer Ingelheim Pharmaceuticals Chairman of the Board Dr Andreas Barner

Dr Andreas Barner

Pros:
  • "Benefits, Compensation, colleagues, working culture, work life balance"
    in 8 reviews
  • "The company has great benefits, many internal culture groups, and are very health conscience"
    in 6 reviews
Cons:
  • "Changes in upper management have brought a "let's fix this" mentality"
    in 7 reviews
  • "Management does not care about family life or work life balance"
    in 4 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Institutional Sales

Institutional Sales (Current Employee)

I have been working at Boehringer Ingelheim Pharmaceuticals full-time for more than 8 years

Prosgood pipeline, multiple blockbuster products

Conslimited career opportunity, low salaries

"Global" Pharmaceutical?

ProsNice benefits, including European vacation schedules. Most people, worldwide, are very nice and culture is considerate and thoughtful, colleague to colleague.

ConsGlobal really means German in "BI". If you don't live and work in Germany, options for promotions are limited. Being family-owned has advantages for long-term investments, but general pharmaceutical industry is struggling and BI seems shocked by the economic challenges.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement should review the talent available worldwide and not limited their perspective to headquarters only.

Insecure Management and Worsening Culture

Specialty Sales Representative (Former Employee)
Columbus, OH

I worked at Boehringer Ingelheim Pharmaceuticals full-time for more than 5 years

ProsStrong History of leadership. Great respiratory, cardio-vascular and BPH products.

ConsLow salary and commission plan. Insecure management and leadership from top to middle. Leadership feels the need to micro-manage employees and PTO. Company used to have a great PTO plan, the reason I left was due to the worsening of this benefit. They are becoming like every other company and no longer have the competitive advantage of great relationships with customers because they have tried to follow the crowd in the industry. Unfortunately, there is slow decline in the culture of this company.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop trying to be like everyone else. You had a competitive advantage of being private. It brought you great people and these people had great relationships with customers. Go back to the style that you previously maintained. You will not survive in the current business model

BI is a good company

PCP II (Current Employee)
Green Bay, WI

I have been working at Boehringer Ingelheim Pharmaceuticals full-time for more than 3 years

ProsRealistic Company with lots of opportunity

ConsManagement is young and can get caught up in some check the box

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen your RD implements something, make sure that everything you do day in and day out is a reflection of what they are trying to accomplish; not just checking a box

Great place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Boehringer Ingelheim Pharmaceuticals as an intern

ProsHelpful employees. Everyone seemed to enjoy their work.

ConsNot easy to work on different projects

good company to work for

I have been working at Boehringer Ingelheim Pharmaceuticals

ProsBoehringer is ethical and conservative.

Conssometimes too conservative not taking enough risk.

Incompetent management is great for unstable excipients, but a curse for productive work-horses "active ingredients".

Director (Current Employee)
Ridgefield, CT

ProsComparable benefits and flex-commute policy for some departments. Overall compensation is at par with other mid-large US pharma companies if you are experienced with 5 plus years. Some international exposure is a plus. Eg. Company match of 401K is zero until 3 yrs completed on the job.

ConsFrequent top level and organizational changes-no accountability to measure the success or failure.
Incompetent Managers hand-picked by like-minded VPs, and their chaotic micro-management,
Some very smart worker-bees' ideas are disrespectfully crushed. Who is really living the values of the company?
Micromanagement has brought productivity to a halt in certain depts. Doers have no power to decide, and are then punished for failure to deliver results.
Managers constantly nag them to do otherwise non-productive chores. At the end, Mgrs. look tough and it helps them CTA, and get promoted.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdvice to the Board. Family-owned business is been eaten away due to serious German vs. Austrian vs. American power and political conflicts. Good medicine for sustainability of profits in not the primary focus of a few key pillars of this company. Learn from a few VPs who have done a real good job-(don't let them get pushed aside in these changes), and have not just shuffled deck of cards for window-dressing. Dig deeper into the causes of recent failures what caused them to begin with. Change at the top C or VP levels, without fundamental work-ethics and culture shift will not bring success. Further delays will result in more site closures and further loss of market-share.
I wrote this because I care, but I can't be heard from within.

Field Sales

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Boehringer Ingelheim Pharmaceuticals full-time for more than 8 years

ProsBig Pharma, decent pipeline, decent benefits.

ConsBig Pharma, upper management not ready for prime time.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncorporate psychological testing for management.

Boehringer Ingelheim is a great company to work with

Director (Former Employee)
Ridgefield, CT

I worked at Boehringer Ingelheim Pharmaceuticals full-time for more than a year

ProsBenefits, Compensation, colleagues, working culture, work life balance

Conssometimes to consense driven when it comes to decisions

A company where quality and management personel never leave their offices unless there is an issue.

Senior Technician (Current Employee)
Columbus, OH

ProsWarm in the winter, cool in the summer.

ConsSalery is very low for responsibilities. Advancement is according to who you know and interview not job resposibilities and experience. If you can pass a generic interview process with best answers you get the job. Company is always looking for ways to decrease yearly pay increase and VPR bonus. Bonus is low enough but the company wants to decrese it even more. The company keeps backing up the pay and bonus increses a month every year. They used to give the pay and bonus in January, now they have backed it up to the begining of April. Management has a very elitist attitude and looks down on hourly workers. I have been in management at other companies and the salery hourly relationship was much better. They push quality issues brought up by technicians under the rug.

Advice to Senior ManagementWake up and understand that the better you treat your workers and the more you reward them the more positive they are and the better the quality of work. Look at any reasearch on the suject and you would know this.

Worked for Boehringer Ingelheim Pharmaceuticals? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Boehringer Ingelheim Pharmaceuticals reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Boehringer Ingelheim Pharmaceuticals CEO Dr Andreas Barner. All 118 reviews posted anonymously by Boehringer Ingelheim Pharmaceuticals employees.