Boehringer Ingelheim Pharmaceuticals

Updated March 5, 2015
3.3

Boehringer Ingelheim Pharmaceuticals Chairman of the Board Dr Andreas Barner
Dr Andreas Barner

Pros
  • Sr mgmt encourage family time, good work/life balance, treat employees fairly (in 12 reviews)

• great benefits, generous PTO, decent pay (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • When you reach your KPIs, managers still want more which means work life balance is compromised (in 7 reviews)

• Changes in upper management have brought a "let's fix this" mentality (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Conservative culture and procedures, but great people

I have been working at Boehringer Ingelheim Pharmaceuticals full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

People are good to work with. Opportunities for learning are great despite being a large company. Despite sometimes the conservative or slow approach, it's of good quality.

Cons

Conservative approach can sometimes be an hindrance in that sometimes you need to take risk. Sometimes dealing with differences in European (German) corporate culture and American corporate culture is difficult.

Director Research

I worked at Boehringer Ingelheim Pharmaceuticals full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

great company to work with!!!

Cons

sometimes unclear directions but getting better

Current Employee - Intern - Hourly in Southbury, CT
    Current Employee - Intern - Hourly in Southbury, CT

I have been working at Boehringer Ingelheim Pharmaceuticals

Pros

Excellent office culture, strong leadership, solid training, great people to work with, work life balance is high (working from home, sensible hours)

Cons

I experienced no cons in my time here.

Great company, conservative and cautious

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ridgefield, CT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ridgefield, CT

I worked at Boehringer Ingelheim Pharmaceuticals full-time (more than a year)

Pros

People are friendly, especially senior management, and I was able to learn a lot during my time. Very dedicated staff who believe in their company. Conservative business practices and private ownership has kept the company a relatively stable place to work compared to most of the industry.

Cons

Stability can sometimes be a downside, as certain managers tended to stay a little too long in their roles. Turnover among lower level employees was quite high in certain departments, due to managerial conflicts. Little diversity amongst senior management.

Hold managers accountable for their performance, as evaluated by objective external evaluations.

Great Company Overral

I worked at Boehringer Ingelheim Pharmaceuticals

Pros

Great Benefits, generous PTO, great pay and bonus, pension plan

Cons

bloated management, too many initiatives and changes occurring at the same time. last minute lay offs

Upper management needs to listen to their direct reports a lot more as they are the ones actually doing the jobs and have a clear understanding of operations. Not enough room to grow or develop

Early experience was excellent but with new management, not very pleasant environment

I worked at Boehringer Ingelheim Pharmaceuticals

Pros

Good product pipeline and growth on existing brands. Good work-life balance but senior management has become very smug.

Cons

A number of strategic missteps by senior management over the past couple of years which will have a long term impact.

Pharmaceutical Technician

Former Employee - Pharmaceutical Technician in Bedford, OH
    Former Employee - Pharmaceutical Technician in Bedford, OH

I worked at Boehringer Ingelheim Pharmaceuticals

Pros

Benefits,Bonus,Profit sharing....And Saverence package...

Cons

Management that don't know Anything,that's why BVL went down.Way back was the best company to work for in Bedford OH....So sad,but never forgotton I guess life must move on...

Great company

Current Employee - Intern in Ridgefield, CT
    Current Employee - Intern in Ridgefield, CT

I have been working at Boehringer Ingelheim Pharmaceuticals

Pros

They really care for their employees as well as interns and management is very transparent with everybody.

Cons

The industry is too regulated by the fda.

None, great work.

New Hire

Current Employee - Pharmaceutical Sales Representative II
    Current Employee - Pharmaceutical Sales Representative II

I have been working at Boehringer Ingelheim Pharmaceuticals full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great manager, good benefits, commitment to career development, strong pipeline of drugs

Cons

poor helpdesk, difficult to navigate internal company resources, base salary still not competitive

Pay and benefits are great

I have been working at Boehringer Ingelheim Pharmaceuticals full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great Benefits including 401k match and pension. Great work life balance where if you're efficient, you can leave on time. There are days where you need to put in extra hours but that's more irregular than regular. Good location right off the highway. Many happy professional people, although that has been decreasing lately.

Cons

We are slowly losing many benefits and sales have been down due to increased competition. The company has shown recently, that employees are less important than they used to be.

Boehringer Ingelheim Pharmaceuticals Photos