Boehringer Ingelheim

Updated August 21, 2014
Updated August 21, 2014

3.2

Andreas Barner

Pros
  • Modern workspaces are excellent and the work/life balance is enhanced by many employees remote-working (in 5 reviews)

• Teamwork among co-workers, good benefits, acceptable work-life flexibility in professional positions (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • No one listens unless you are in upper management (in 4 reviews)

• Boehringer is a very conservative family-owned business which is still stuck in the "old German economy" a bit (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Sr. Cehmist

Current Employee - Senior CHEMIST  in  Bedford, OH
    Current Employee - Senior CHEMIST in Bedford, OH

I have been working at Boehringer Ingelheim full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Lots of experience, able to move through the ranks quickly as I gained knowledge.

Cons

Work/life balance, financial struggles of the company. Working under Regulated conditions can be stressful and the priorities are evershifting.

Hire the people with the correct scientific background for Quality positions.

Good company, would work there again if given the opportunity.

Former Employee - Helpdesk  in  Danbury, CT
    Former Employee - Helpdesk in Danbury, CT

I worked at Boehringer Ingelheim as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Good people, good location, decent work environment

Cons

A lot of IT got outsourced

Don't outsource IT. Cost reduction short term will be negated by poor quality support, and it will be more expensive to rebuild a new IT organization when it has to be brought back.

Overall positive experience

Current Employee - Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Sales Representative

I have been working at Boehringer Ingelheim full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Efforts are justly rewarded and recognized in the sales organization. Product and sales training is extensive and fully prepares sales reps for success in the field. Opportunities for promotion exist and management is eager to help those that wish to put forth the effort.

Cons

Too many layers in the sales organization with overlapping counterparts. In some cases, as many as 8 individuals could be tasked with calling on one physician. This leaves reps feeling like they're not good enough or fully equipped to handle their own customers and no one has accountability. The physician is often confused. A complaint from many reps is that they spend more time talking with and focusing on counterparts than calling on customers.

Additional job responsibility and promotions are often achieved through classes/formal evaluations through the training department. Many employees in sales feel as though the training department becomes a roadblock to achieving promotions due to the highly subjective nature of the process.

Cut down on the overlap in the sales force. Reps feel undervalued and no ownership of their business with so much redundancy.

Simplify training and shorten the path to promotions for high performing reps to avoid losing them to other organizations or simply demotivating them.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Management is not trustworthy

I worked at Boehringer Ingelheim full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good products, benefits, and time-off policies

Cons

Needs more honest managers - cannot depend on what they say

Stay Away

I have been working at Boehringer Ingelheim full-time

Pros

Pay OK and pretty grounds.

Cons

Extremely rigid and regimented structure. Intensively political. No decision making possible with too much bureaucracy and SOPs. Zero opportunity for excitement, creativity or flexibility to move things forward.

Begin development of new products based on where industry is going, not where it was.

It was a great first internship and I was exposed to a lot of engineering aspects.

Current Employee - Engineering Intern  in  Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Engineering Intern in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Boehringer Ingelheim as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Great staff and very classy place to work. I was able to build a lot of great professional relationships and felt that the team at BI wanted what was best for me.

Cons

Engineering is a small unit in the building. I was an intern and they maybe could pay a little more hourly. It is one of the lower wages I have seen in the industry.

Make sure production members know the why behind the projects we do.

Overall good experience

I have been working at Boehringer Ingelheim full-time

Pros

Cons

Lack of management support for quality oversight, no work-life balance consideration for manufacturing and manufacturing support departments.

Downward Spiral

Current Employee - Anonymous  in  Ridgefield, CT
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Ridgefield, CT

I have been working at Boehringer Ingelheim full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Some nice and talented people, competitive salaries.

Cons

In an attempt to address a one billion euro deficit, BI turning more German headquarters-centric, de-evolving from employee-caring to standard money-making focus. Management is ignoring what made them a good company for over 100 years.

Be truly international, leverage your global talent. Accept single-digit revenue increases as part of current economic trends. Refocus on your primary asset, your employees.

Good Company in the midst of massive changes.

I have been working at Boehringer Ingelheim full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Strong Pipeline, People, Good Benefits, Generous PTO (Vacation) policy. A company with products and approach to health care that really makes a difference.

Cons

Sales Force overworked with multiple product responsibilities. Changes are overwhelming. Management shifts are blurring company direction. Multiple product launches with no time for study and multiple training modules have interfered with work life balance.

Improve forecasting, pay attention to the burn out factor among your most talented. Get the senior management act together. Good move with the most recent changes in Senior Management!!! Now who will take us into the next phase of success!!

Horrible Management

I have been working at Boehringer Ingelheim

Pros

Fair to Good overall package

Cons

I am still working here because I still have an OK manager and I don't expect an exciting career future.
    I am seeing people quit because of unbearable workload. On the other hand, some people can just hang around, even not showing up in office. They must have excellent "communication skill" with their managers.

Worked for Boehringer Ingelheim? Contribute to the Community!