Boehringer Ingelheim

Updated Apr 4, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Andreas Barner

Pros:
  • "Modern workspaces are excellent and the work/life balance is enhanced by many employees remote-working"
    in 5 reviews
  • "Good benefits and vacation, got to make a product that makes a different"
    in 4 reviews
Cons:
  • "I think that the salaries and generally the various compensations are not the best in the pharmaceutical industry"
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

nothing special

I have been working at Boehringer Ingelheim full-time for more than a year

Prosvacation time, work life balance

Consno support, too much beurocracy, terrible management, no creative thinking

It's all about quantity over quality

Microbiologist I I (Former Employee)

I worked at Boehringer Ingelheim full-time for more than 3 years

ProsTechnology in the lab is very up and coming.

ConsManagement and organization of various departments. Too many signatures needed to get anything done.

Advice to Senior ManagementOrganize yourself

Waste of a summer

Finance Intern (Former Employee)
Danbury, CT

I worked at Boehringer Ingelheim as an intern for less than a year

ProsGood salary. Great company-subsidized cafeterias. Modern offices

ConsSummer interns don't receive any support outside of their department. My manager was too busy to manage an intern so I spent a lot of the summer sitting around waiting for an assignment. Didn't have any opportunities to meet or network with other people in the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate more structure to the internship program. Don't let managers hire interns if they don't realize that interns are a time commitment. Make it possible for interns to learn about more areas of the company than the one they are directly reporting to.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not a company for young, ambitious professionals

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Ingelheim am Rhein (Germany)

I worked at Boehringer Ingelheim full-time for more than 5 years

ProsLots of perks such as vacation bonus, subsidised lunches, health checks, etc. The company generally treats its employees very well and provides a very comfortable working environment. It's a company to grow old at, which for some people is quite attractive. Business has been doing well and the company has grown remarkably in the past 10 years. Time-off is very flexible and the working schedule is easily adaptable to anyone's personal situation.

ConsBoehringer is a very conservative family-owned business which is still stuck in the "old German economy" a bit. Decision making, change and development move excruciatingly slow at this company. Ambitious people that show initiative will find it hard to find acceptance and the spaces to thrive at this company. Age discrimination seems to be a policy at times since the words "you are too young for this" are used all too often by management. Consequently people are often promoted due to seniority rather than merit. International flair is missing a bit although this has improved. Office locations are very unattractive as they are generally located in small towns and rural areas.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay more attention to the young, ambitious people working for you. They are the future of your company and will bring a much needed breath of fresh air and new ideas to an "old" company.

Exhausting climbing an uphill battle everyday.

Senior International Product Manager (Former Employee)
Burlington, ON (Canada)

I worked at Boehringer Ingelheim full-time for more than 3 years

ProsPeople, products, global teams, cafe, company wide events.

ConsDivision cross functional team has real silos between sales, marketing and management. Not collaborative environment division. But influencers get there way no matter what the consequence.

Great international workplace experiencing significant culture shift

Senior Business Consultant (Current Employee)
Ridgefield, CT

I have been working at Boehringer Ingelheim full-time for more than a year

ProsCareer opportunities are everywhere if you are willing to take them. Working with colleagues around the world every day. Environment is political but not cutthroat.

ConsTransitioning from small, family feel to global corporate feel. Reorganization each year I have been here by the same people each time. Career paths are confusing a limited.

Advice to Senior ManagementA little bit more positivity about the company outlook can really make an impact on employees. Even so, thank you for being open and honest.

Great company to work for. Very fair wages. Great work atmosphere.

Pharmaceutical Technician (Current Employee)

I have been working at Boehringer Ingelheim full-time for more than a year

ProsGood pay. Clean work environment. Good bonuses. Great added perks. Team atmosphere. Quality leaders. Close to home. Quality training programs.

ConsCompany decided to close. Poor decisions in business processes that led to the inability to produce product at a reasonable rate. There must be balance between quality and production.

Was a very great learning experience

Technological Transference Project Assesor (Current Employee)
Guadalajara, Jalisco (Mexico)

I have been working at Boehringer Ingelheim part-time for less than a year

ProsCompensation is good, ethical standards are high. Provides a good career development plan and you can learn a lot of valuable skills from other co-workerspoor management.

ConsFailure in system and batch procees/quality. Poor communication between the managers

It was a learning experience

Senior Production Prep Technician (Former Employee)
Bedford, OH

I worked at Boehringer Ingelheim full-time for more than a year

ProsThe wages and benefits were great, the work was never boring

ConsI was on third shift

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to listen to your working team to help fix the problems

Good company to work for and good introduction into the world of pharmaceuticals

Saint Petersburg, FL

I have been working at Boehringer Ingelheim full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat benefits and vacation; Non-managerial employees (most of the engineers & specialists) are good to work with throughout the company; Most of the chemical technicians and supervisors are very hands-on and great to work with on the production floor.

ConsNo growth or leadership/management opportunities for young engineers. Most of the engineers are overlooked for promotions and/or advancement & developmental opportunities (especially within production and quality assurance areas). High-packed layer of middle management throughout company. Decisions are made at the highest level of management without considerations from existing middle management team and/or engineers/specialists.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs to provide more developmental training for everyone interested in expanding skillset and fairly promote strong performers on site.

Worked for Boehringer Ingelheim? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Boehringer Ingelheim reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Boehringer Ingelheim CEO Andreas Barner. All 60 reviews posted anonymously by Boehringer Ingelheim employees.