Boeing Reviews

• Any Status
Employment Status

Reset
3.2
Boeing Chairman, President, and CEO Jim McNerney Jr.
Jim McNerney Jr.

Pros
  • Best work life balance you will ever find (in 186 reviews)

• This is a huge company that offers many great benefits (in 246 reviews)

Cons
  • Lip service to work/life balance (in 44 reviews)

• Management spends all their time in meetings pleasing upper management to make themselves look good (in 40 reviews)

1. Decent Place for a Career

Current Employee - Technical Analyst in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Technical Analyst in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Boeing

Pros

Excellent medical benefits.
    Multiple office locations to choose from.
    Large variety of organizations to work in.
    In-organization transfers are very easy.
    People are generally helpful and kind.

Cons

Upper management too focused on implementing Obeya, Lean, and 5S to teach their lower managers more concrete management techniques.
    Currently undergoing work force reallocation from Puget Sound to other locations such as North Charleston, Moscow, and Long Beach.

Advice to Management

Focus more on managing people rather than metrics.

2. Cyber Security Analyst

Former Employee - Senior Cyber Analyst in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Cyber Analyst in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Boeing full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Big company, lots of places to grow. Salaries are at industry average, benefits are comparable to other large aerospace companies.

Cons

24 years at this company, when I started we were a Tech/Family centric company, your peers, and management, at least up to Director level watched out for each other. Then McDonald Dug. bought us... went from a 5 star company to a 1.5 star company. Paid time off changed, healthcare got expensive, Company retirement went away. Management ethics became a real problem. If your over 50 and work there watch your back Boeing is removing the aging workforce and hiring a younger crew. Good luck going to EEO (Govt) They approved my case showing just cause for a Discrimination case, however no lawyer will touch it because Boeing is "TOO BIG" to fight.

Advice to Management

ACTUALLY Live up to those mandatory ethics classes you forced on us to take due to poor ethics on Senior management decisions.

3. Potential Employee Beware - Boeing NOT What It Used To Be

Former Employee - Systems Administrator in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Systems Administrator in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Boeing full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good 401K, good health care, stable company (for now), education reimbursement

Cons

increasing willingness to exploit employees, no loyalty, complete disregard for work/life balance despite touting that as being an important company value, corrupt upper level management values, lack of integrity again, despite touting this as a corporate value. Complete lack of ability/skill by management to actually "manage" people. Promoting project managers does not necessarily make for a good manager; proven repeatedly at this company. Employee beware.

Advice to Management

Bring back appreciation (other than money) of employee's value to company and develop a culture of managers who can actual manage people. yes, really.

Mostly boring but definately had some fun along the way

Current Employee - Systems Design and Integration Specialist in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Systems Design and Integration Specialist in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Boeing full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Mostly calm and pleasant environment to work in.

Cons

Automation is viewed as taking jobs away and is avoided, sometimes development is stifled and old processes are heavily used. Holiday work was common but not indicative of Boeing.

6. age discrimination

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Boeing

Pros

Profit sharing is nice perk.

Cons

Terrible place to work if you are over 50, white and have seniority.

7. Boeing IT - slow moving, not the best place if you are an innovator.

Current Employee - Information Security in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Information Security in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Boeing full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good opportunities for training, but you may have to leave in order to advance.

Cons

A resurgence of theory X management has led to the retirement of many senior employees.

Advice to Management

Spend some time creating a good working culture.

8. A pretty good company to work for

Former Employee - Senior Developer/Architect in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Developer/Architect in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Boeing full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Lots of funding to work on creative projects

Cons

Too many project managers or schedule monitors

Advice to Management

Quit moving your talent out of the Seattle area. It will catch up with you eventually.

Overall great company to work for.

Current Employee - Software Developer in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Boeing full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Extensive employees services, ranging from community groups to advanced training. Perks are great as well.

Cons

Frequent management shifts, some IT departments behind the times. Career advancement is not promoted enough, people get to comfortable and neglect current technologies and trends.

Advice to Management

Make sure your managers are inspiring and actually have experience doing the work that they are managing, at least the first level ones. Promote career growth and adaptation of new technologies.

No loyalty to its experienced people; short-term cost savings are all that matters

Current Employee - Software Engineer IV in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer IV in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Boeing

Pros

Still fairly good benefits, although telecommuting has been cut back (why?) and pensions are being phased out

Cons

Forced brain drain in IT. Work is being moved to Charleston and other locations. The clear intent is to cut salaries by laying off level 4 and 5 employees (i.e., highly experienced) and replacing them with level 1s and 2s (fresh out of school). Management actually seems to believe a new hire with a "knowledge transfer" document can do the same work as a 30-year veteran - who's no longer around to answer questions. Union busting is also on the agenda. IT is pushing SPEEA-represented employees out the door as quickly as possible. And our millennials see what's happening and quickly depart for greener pastures.

Advice to Management

Don't proclaim that "people are our greatest asset" and then treat them this way. You get what you pay for. You may save money in the short term by getting rid of your experienced people, but before long you'll find you've saddled yourself with massive technical debt. Did you learn nothing from 787? It would actually make more sense in the long run to give incentives to delay some retirements rather than forcing early ones. Forced loss of continuity in your support personnel means you won't see first-time quality in your major blockpoints for the next few years.

11. Business Internship Rewarding

Former Employee - Business Analyst Intern in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Business Analyst Intern in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Boeing

Pros

I was assigned into a great team where I was given a lot of work to do. By the end of the internship, I had taken over the full analyst role, which was nice because I got a great opportunity to have an experience similar to a full-time employee. Additionally, work life balance is great with this company, and the benefits/pay was pretty good for an intern. Lastly, Seattle was a great place to be in the summer.

Cons

I heard the work experience really depends on the group you end up with. I had a great manager, so I got a lot of work, but some friends of mine had bad experiences because they did not get have as much responsibility.

Advice to Management

Continue to provide a lot of responsibility to interns who show that they can handle it!

Showing 66 of 2,718 reviews