Boeing
3.5 of 5 1,694 reviews
www.boeing.com Chicago, IL 5000+ Employees

Boeing Reviews in Bellevue, WA

Updated Mar 31, 2014

Boeing Chairman, President, and CEO Jim McNerney Jr.

Jim McNerney Jr.

39 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Working at Boeing

Senior Project Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Boeing full-time for more than 10 years

ProsBoeing is a wonderful place to work for, it has given me the opportunity to grow.

ConsBoeing caters to Engineers. IT Professionals do work hard in the company but are considered a cost to the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is room for improvement in the treatment of IT Professionals.

Excellent opportunity and compensation, while it lasted

Systems Integrator (Current Employee)

I have been working at Boeing full-time for more than 10 years

ProsHuge variety of opportunities in different disciplines. Great salaries for those who demonstrate exceptional technical leadership. Technical fellowship available for those choosing a career path other than management. Flexible work schedules and opportunities to telecommute, however it has become more restrictive lately. Good tools, equipment and training.

ConsLayoffs come in waves, lots of outsourcing, recent efforts by company to contain salaries and benefits, recent reductions to pools for salary growth, recent reduction in pension and benefits. Moving some of the IT workforce to Charleston and St. Louis. Reductions to educational benefits. Lately, there are too few employees to get the work done so everyone is operating at maximum stress.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on employee morale… you've squandered most of it experimenting with your targeted layoffs of senior employees, outsourcing, pay level freezes, forcing moves to other states, reducing benefits and pension.

My Software Dev experience @ Boeing

Software Developer Intern (Former Employee)
Bellevue, WA

I worked at Boeing as an intern for less than a year

Pros-- Lots of help // you can reach out to anyone for support
-- Tours // as an intern, you can sign up for a tour of the airplane facilities in Everett and Renton
-- Housing stipend // the pay and the housing stipend was very generous for a summer internship. you got up to a week of paid vacation and if you did not use it, it was paid to you in full at the end of your internship!

Cons-- Little impact // you may spend weeks on end perfecting a little side project, which will be used in a small scale by the company

Advice to Senior Management-- Make a structured program for interns like you do for rotational employees.
-- Orientation should be more engaging. There was a speaker for two hours who lost the crowd's interest after 20 minutes. It should be more dynamic and interactive!

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

An interesting time

Information Security (Current Employee)

I have been working at Boeing full-time for more than 10 years

Prosthe freedom to change to many different types of jobs within the company. I was able to hold positions as a mechanic, avionics tecnician, logisticst analyst, Security advisor, and Global Information Security auditor

ConsThe teaming and sense of adventure has changed with the new managment structure. The employee was allowed to present new ideas, voice an opinion and not have reprecussions for speaking up when operations violated regulatory compliance.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit coming up with slogans and stand behind the values advertised. Drop the instilling of fear in employees and make them feel valued, not just advertize you are doing that.

Working at Boeing

Database Administrator (Former Employee)

I worked at Boeing full-time for more than 10 years

Prosexcellent growth opportunity, great benefits and pay is outstanding, you are in control of your career, plenty of training available to advance your career, easy to switch careers.

ConsCompany has become too cost driven, removed pension benefits, increased health care premiums, layoffs have become larger than necessary reducing support for internal customers.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdding more contractors instead of keeping or hiring new employees is demoralizing.

Above all, a great place to start!

Functional Analyst (Current Employee)
Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Boeing full-time for more than a year

ProsExcellent team members and managers, above average pay, excellent work life balance and training opportunities.

ConsPreparing IT for the future is really impacting this company in a negative way, lay off or RIF become more frequent.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease focus on the people/employee instead of on the pockets. Treat your people well and compensate them right. The people are the asset of this company and if they are cut to the bone then the profit/executive pockets will go down afterwards.

They could be so much better. They used to be and that's the problem.

Computing Security (Current Employee)

I have been working at Boeing full-time for more than 10 years

ProsHealth Care and matching 401k.

ConsVery militaristic,controlling and creativity is discouraged. Peter Principle prevails.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement tends to stifle employees' creativity and seems to be afraid and very controlling. Encouraging and motivating employees to continually improve and shine would go far in improving the bottom dollar.

Fair

Software Architect (Current Employee)

ProsGood Pay, good medical benefits

ConsBureacratic, low raises, threats of layoffs affects moral.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you say that employees are your most important asset then quit threatening them.

Dragged into politics of team that drained my brain

Business Intern (Former Employee)
Bellevue, WA

I worked at Boeing full-time for more than a year

ProsGood pay and benefits, but overall cons outweigh the pros. Lots of luring factors related to interns, but again cons were a lot more than pros.

ConsHorrible experience. My manager only met with me 3 times the whole internship. First day, middle of internship (performance review) and last day of internship. Despite working extra hours for the team members who were never there, I was not given a decent review.

I know pay may be tempting, but try to find a decent company that would help you in your career in the long-run rather than chew on you and your abilities for the summers.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe appreciative of the work your interns do for you, especially, if they are even going above and beyond to help carry your lousy team forward. At least check on your interns weekly to be able to know where they stand before even considering yourself qualified to give a review.

Great opportunities for those seeking it

Structural Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Boeing full-time for more than 5 years

Pros-Great learning environment for engineers
-Good compensation/benefit packages
-Opportunities for upward opportunity

ConsSome employers don't work as hard as others, yet are compensated the same

Advice to Senior ManagementAcknowledge top performers as future technical and/or executive leaders

Worked for Boeing? Contribute to the Community!

Boeing Videos

Boeing – Why Work for Us?

Boeing is the world’s largest aerospace company and leading manufacturer of commercial airplanes and defense, space and security systems. Additionally, Boeing designs and manufactures rotorcraft, electronic and defense… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Boeing reviews and ratings in Bellevue, WA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Boeing CEO Jim McNerney Jr. All 39 reviews posted anonymously by Boeing employees.