Boeing
www.boeing.com Chicago, IL 5000+ Employees

Boeing Reviews

Updated Jul 10, 2014

3.5 1,857 reviews

Boeing Chairman, President, and CEO Jim McNerney Jr.

Jim McNerney Jr.

1,857 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "Flexible work schedules usually allow for a good work/life balance"
    in 142 reviews
  • "Great benefits, interesting work throughout most of my time there till recently"
    in 176 reviews
Cons:
  • "Not terribly great at the work/life balance thing even though management claims to be"
    in 30 reviews
  • "Senior management is slow to move and a little slow to adopt new technologies"
    in 30 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

It is an excellent company.

Process Engineer (Current Employee)
    All, MO

ProsThis company believes in theirs workers.

ConsBring more opportunities for new hiring.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinuous empowerment to your employees

A very challenging job that yields high rewards.

Anonymous (Current Employee)

ProsYou have the distinct opportunity to work on the fringes of the future.

ConsHours can be long and the locations aren't thrilling if you love big city life.

Interns are treated well, but the work given could have been a little bit more challenging.

Structural Analysis Engineer (Former Employee)
    Tukwila, WA

ProsVery good office community. Benefits are excellent even for a low-level engineer. Interns receive paid vacation hours. Social networking system among fellow employees is a plus.

ConsWork wasn't challenging enough, though to be fair not a lot of big projects can be assigned for a 3-month internship. A lot of projects are done at a very slow pace. Not a lot of innovation going on in the commercial airliner side (at least that I have seen). Also, I wasn't able to start doing actual real work until 2 weeks into the internship when I finally got set up with a work station and when I finally was able to access all the online training. (Way too much red tape.)

Advice to Senior ManagementMore can be done to fit a engineer's skills and talents with an office that requires those skills and talents. I would have liked to dive into the work a bit faster. Less red tape would have been nice.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I am an intern, and so far, I'm disappointed

Project Manager Intern (Current Employee)
    Everett, WA

ProsThe benefits and pay are both good. It looks great on your resume, and you can do schooling/learn a lot from the company. there is a lot of opportunities to move around if you are in a department that isn't well suited for you.

ConsThe generation gap is tremendous, nobody is open to change, everything feels outdated, I don't have enough work to keep me busy most days. I also don't agree with the work ethics of some people in my department. I have actually seen some people take naps at their desks... every day.

Where Bureaucracy Was Invented

Real Time Software Engineer (Current Employee)
    Everett, WA

ProsOutstanding benefits: competitive salary, medical/dental, vacation/holidays, 401-K with match, profit sharing. Ability to transfer as business needs permit.

ConsTerrible bureaucracy. Duplicate functions/inconsistent management. Non-performing employees often get a pass. Layoffs occur for reasons other than business setbacks.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider breaking this company up. More focus on lowest level management competency. Expedited process for removing non-performing employees. Limit layoffs to true business setback situations.

Work Environment Was Good, Then Regionalization Hit

Site Services Project Manager (Current Employee)
    El Segundo, CA

ProsBetter than average salary
    Benefits good, but slipping a bit for new employees
    Ample vacation, with extra time off around Christmas
    Opportunities to advance your career if you are willing to relocate to other states

ConsOne big silo
    Hidden agendas
    Age discrimination
    Empire building

Advice to Senior ManagementAudit, audit and audit some more: You would be surprised what an objective person will find
    If you talk the talk, got to walk the walk (Boeing vision and values)
    Someone objective needs to enforce ethics - the locals have assimilated
    Employees need to feel safe to bring up problems and share what isn't working or what is a bad idea. (without retaliation)

For a career in the corporate world sitting in a cubicle and not working too hard, this is the job for you.

ProsGreat benefits and only work 40 hours. Work/life balance is fantastic.

ConsBoring, company culture is 40 year old and white.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed more diversity.

Great company to work for if you don't get laid off

Incident Manager (Current Employee)
    Saint Louis, MO

ProsBenefits and pay are outstanding at Boeing. Great company to work for if you don't get laid off.

ConsLay offs threats are very discouraging and if you're getting threatened to be laid off either you or someone in your group is laid off and you have to absorb their work.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit laying people off to use contractors and just laying people off to save a buck. Boeing makes a fortune, value your employees for their hard work. The layoffs brings moral down.

Good For Retires

Design Engineer (Former Employee)

Pros401k
    Benefits
    Sick Time
    Lack of Responsibility for lazy people
    Non-progressive atmosphere for the older generation

ConsLack of Challenge
    Lack of Responsibility for lazy people
    Non-progressive atmosphere for the older generation
    No actual learning experience

Advice to Senior ManagementCut all the older people that are not adding value constantly

Challenging & stressful problems for people given from new managers that are not flexible.

IETMS Writer (Former Employee)
    Fort Walton Beach, FL

ProsBoeing is a great company but the IETMS section at the FWB site is very undesirable. Life long dream to work for the worlds largest and best aircraft manufacturer in the world. Most of the immediate folks worked with were phenomenal people to know & work along side.

ConsImage is everything, doing is another. About half the managers were in a power struggle and not flexible to their people, creating a stressful situation in the workplace. Lowest paying company for that line of work because the site I worked at in FWB was the "Low Cost Center of Excellence" which created cheaper pay, few to no promotions in IETMS & work your nose to the grind stone with precisely 2-10 min breaks a day outside of 30 min lunch. All this without any research improvements made & standards of production & quality increased to an unreachable quota.

Advice to Senior ManagementEase up on people and allow them to do their work while staying within the guidelines of production & quality, maintaining a flexible more cohesive environment to work in. Get rid of people that stab others in the back because of personal likes & dislikes in order to get ahead.

Worked for Boeing? Contribute to the Community!

Boeing Videos

Boeing – Why Work for Us?

Boeing is the world’s largest aerospace company and leading manufacturer of commercial airplanes and defense, space and security systems. Additionally, Boeing designs and manufactures rotorcraft, electronic and defense… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Boeing reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Boeing CEO Jim McNerney Jr. All 1,857 reviews posted anonymously by Boeing employees.