Boeing
www.boeing.com Chicago, IL 5000+ Employees

Boeing Reviews

Updated Apr 15, 2014

3.5 1,694 reviews

Boeing Chairman, President, and CEO Jim McNerney Jr.

Jim McNerney Jr.

1,694 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "Flexible work schedules usually allow for a good work/life balance"
    in 136 reviews
  • "Great benefits, interesting work throughout most of my time there till recently"
    in 171 reviews
Cons:
  • "Not terribly great at the work/life balance thing even though management claims to be"
    in 25 reviews
  • "Senior management is slow to move and a little slow to adopt new technologies"
    in 30 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Solid company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Boeing

ProsStability and good work life balance

ConsPublic comapny that cares more about shareholders than good prodcuts

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on quality products rather than share price

Engineering Department Support

I have been working at Boeing full-time for more than 10 years

ProsOpen culture promoted by management; encouraged to grow, take a larger stake in our daily directions; intelligent workforce in all areas; a legacy of invention and overcoming challenges; educational opportunities; great benefits; better than average wages (for now); facilities and locations; opportunity to move between jobs; newly re-energized focus on safety.

ConsCorporate management still receives too much personal $$ incentive to deliver results without actually considering the workers they say they support. Many 1st level managers are over-tasked and are not able to support their employees as they should. Or, they do not have enough time for a family or social life. Though we have adequate time for annual reviews, with time to discuss all the components of our performance, several managers do not make the time because they are driven to deliver production results to upper management. I report directly to a manager in a city 2800+ miles away. How will he ever be able to be aware of my performance when he has 20+ employees sitting in the same plant with him? I have not seen him face-to-face since 12/12.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to Dennis O'Donoghue, follow his people-first style. At the executive level do as you encourage us to do - open, honest, transparent communication. Have a conversation with each of your employees face-to-face at least weekly - make enough time for one-on-one conversation. Listen to our ideas, promote value-added ideas and make sure the employee gets the credit. Stop abandoning Washington state with the excuses of higher labor costs. Give your best and we will give ours, but first you will have to overcome the skepticism many employees hold.

Amazing Spectrum of Careers All In One Company

Engineer (Current Employee)
Everett, WA

I have been working at Boeing full-time for more than 10 years

ProsPeerless benefits, exciting careers, and excellent lateral mobility between disciplines/functions. If hired, you will want to stay for the rest of your working life.

ConsExecutive management is feverishly targeting all possible ways to cut costs, with labor being front and center. Aerospace is notoriously cyclical, so sudden layoff is a real concern.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe mindful of emotional reactions to frustrating union relationships, and don't let it cloud your judgement.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A Big Corporation

Technical Writer/Editor (Current Employee)

I have been working at Boeing full-time for more than 10 years

ProsI work in Boeing Defense. We sell products vital to national defense, so there is a sense of pride and also a sense of death merchant. There are frustrations working with such large groups, but you also get to work with a lot of smart and funny people. Who never get along. Except sometimes.

ConsSame as Pros. 5 word minimum or I would have stopped there.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit telling us how overpaid we are, and how much our pensions and health insurance cost, and how our work could be done by trained monkeys in Elbonia. Airbus pays more in labor costs, (I don't have the data to back that up) but they still sell plenty of airplanes. Corporate politics are everywhere, but Boeing is so big that I really don't know who is trying to steal my job!

Good Company with Good People

Senior Engineer (Former Employee)
Arlington, VA

I worked at Boeing full-time for more than 3 years

ProsBoeing has very interesting work and a great history. It's full of talented engineers and scientists.

ConsI felt it was difficult to get promoted quickly in such a large company.

Great Place

I have been working at Boeing

ProsI am respected by my superiors and the pay is decent. Overall a good place to work.

ConsSometimes it is hard to find a parking spot. Also, having to work late at night is not my favorite time.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease pay for custodians.

Awesome Company

Structural Analysis Engineer III (Current Employee)
Seal Beach, CA

I have been working at Boeing full-time for more than 5 years

ProsBenefits:
401k, competitive salary, pay for college, health insurance, and work is engaging.

ConsVery big company, it can be easy to get lost in the shuffle.
Promotion opportunities are limited depending on location.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Ground Systems work for a Satellite Communication System at Boeing is extremely challenging.

Senior Engineering Level V and VI (Current Employee)
Chandler, AZ

I have been working at Boeing full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThere is plenty of work to go around as the Commercial Satellite Customer is aggressive and has scheduled project tasks for 14 to 18 months.

ConsThere is quite a lot of "Job Security" within this organization of Boeing as the original design came from a now closed organization of Motorola and the people are very senior employees. Also the Core Network uses a mix of 2G and 3G GSM technologies while the latest technologies use 4G and LTE.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt is time to bring down the walls that you believe do not exist. It is also time to stop allowing your customer to change the direction of projects well into the schedule.

Engineering

Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Boeing full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGood benefits such as free education, free insurance, pension, and 401k.

ConsFirst level managers have too much power. If they like you, they will help you. If they don't, they will make your life bad whether you do a good job or not.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe honest.

Fulfilling experience!

Seattle, WA

I have been working at Boeing full-time

ProsGreat opportunity to work on awesome aerospace projects. Great benefits like competitive health insurance and investing in your continued educational degrees and certifications.

ConsCompensation may not be up to market value, depending on your job position. Benefits are great, however, in the near future it will be on equal levels with the other competitive companies; this might keep some talented job seekers from either applying or staying within the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease create a plan on how to keep the young talent that has been in the company from zero to five years. During that time span, they will either become lost within the company without career path direction or will leave the company.

Worked for Boeing? Contribute to the Community!

Boeing Videos

Boeing – Why Work for Us?

Boeing is the world’s largest aerospace company and leading manufacturer of commercial airplanes and defense, space and security systems. Additionally, Boeing designs and manufactures rotorcraft, electronic and defense… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Boeing reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Boeing CEO Jim McNerney Jr. All 1,694 reviews posted anonymously by Boeing employees.