Boeing

www.boeing.com

Boeing Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014

3.5 1,881 reviews

Boeing Chairman, President, and CEO Jim McNerney Jr.

Jim McNerney Jr.

Pros
  • Flexible work schedules usually allow for a good work/life balance(in 150 reviews)

• Great benefits, interesting work throughout most of my time there till recently(in 184 reviews)

Cons
  • Not terribly great at the work/life balance thing even though management claims to be(in 30 reviews)

• Management spends all their time in meetings pleasing upper management to make themselves look good(in 32 reviews)

1,881 Employee Reviews

Lazy Bee Hive of Engineers

Test Engineer (Current Employee) Everett, WA

ProsVery competitive pay, beyond great benefits,easy to move within the company, lots of training is offered, building amazing aircraft.

ConsIt's difficult to find people who work hard and love their job. It is mandatory to join the engineering union (SPEEA) and because of the union it is nearly impossible for anyone to get fired, except during layoff seasons. Well over the majority of employees will retire in 5-10 years and you get the feeling they want to 'coast' their way out. Not a motivating place to work. Not a culture who wants change or excitement. Also I hope you don't mind starting work at 6am, which is the only time you will find parking.

Advice to Senior ManagementInstead of just pampering your interns to lure them in, treat your employees to a great working environment so you don't struggle to retain them.

RUNNNNN! (from the movie Minority Report)

Structural Design Engineer (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsThe lure of engineering technology is strong. Once you are hired in, you can transfer to a different program every 2-3 years to keep things fresh. Engineering union SPEEA will keep you informed and will help you keep your compensation and benefits intact. You will find brilliant people in your journeys. Be assured they are self-motivated, they don't care about getting paid a decent salary and they are unsung heros, getting work done DESPITE management. I retired last year after over thirty years at Boeing.

ConsManagement is terrible. Local management are nothing more than schedule monkeys. The good bosses get promoted fast, then you are left to train a new boss every 12 months. Executive management are outsourcing and selling off core competencies of the company, such as engineering design. They worship Jack Walsh & the GE "garage sale" model to show a profit. The bull flows heavily from the upper levels of management - trust your SPEEA union to tell you what is REALLY going on. Don't work overtime and take care of yourself. Don't pour your heart & soul
    into any job- you will get crushed.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your talented and experienced engineers. Top down autocracy is what ruined the 787. Why are you outsourcing engineering? Learn to say NO to your bosses.

Dead end. Unless you're part of the friends and family crew

Test and Evaluation Engineer (Former Employee) El Segundo, CA

ProsGreat 1st job. but not somewhere to stay long term

ConsNo room for growth. You could be placed

Advice to Senior Managementpay people what they deserve.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good Job

Structural Mechanic (Current Employee) Mesa, AZ

ProsBetter pay than most mechanic jobs. Interesting products to work on.

ConsYou are just another number here. Difficult to move up unless you know people and there is not as much opportunity as you might think. Support functions are slow to respond to mechanics needs.

Advice to Senior ManagementShow a little more appreciation for employees that actually touch product like technicians and not just white collar employees.

Trade Control Specialist

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe compensation and benefits are well above the industry average. Training, on and off-site and educational opportunities are available for those who want to improve their professional skills. Work schedule flexibility is a nice perk.

ConsBusiness processes and procedures are well documented, but outdated which limits the company's ability to be a progressive and innovative into today's global economy. Once hired to do a particular job, it is very difficult if not impossible to move into other areas of professional interest. Very antiquated and dysfunctional company that conducts business operations the same way it has always done in the past.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf it the barriers to entry within their industry weren't so high, the company would have difficulty being able to effectively compete. The company needs to look at how new, innovative companies (example SpacEx) are doing business and take a few pages from their play book.

I am an intern, and so far, I'm disappointed

Project Manager Intern (Current Employee) Everett, WA

ProsThe benefits and pay are both good. It looks great on your resume, and you can do schooling/learn a lot from the company. there is a lot of opportunities to move around if you are in a department that isn't well suited for you.

ConsThe generation gap is tremendous, nobody is open to change, everything feels outdated, I don't have enough work to keep me busy most days. I also don't agree with the work ethics of some people in my department. I have actually seen some people take naps at their desks... every day.

internal auditor III

Auditor (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsDepending on the group, the time-off policies are great. Flexible schedule, work from home on friday's. Could flex your schedule however you want, although you have to maintain core hours like from 9 - 3pm (need to be available at these time). A lot of opportunity for training.

Conshigh attrition in audit; people only last 1.5 years because of management style and lack of promotion. Travel could be unpredictable, with travel up to 75% of the time. At times, the travel seems unnecessary to complete the project.

Where Bureaucracy Was Invented

Real Time Software Engineer (Current Employee) Everett, WA

ProsOutstanding benefits: competitive salary, medical/dental, vacation/holidays, 401-K with match, profit sharing. Ability to transfer as business needs permit.

ConsTerrible bureaucracy. Duplicate functions/inconsistent management. Non-performing employees often get a pass. Layoffs occur for reasons other than business setbacks.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider breaking this company up. More focus on lowest level management competency. Expedited process for removing non-performing employees. Limit layoffs to true business setback situations.

Work Environment Was Good, Then Regionalization Hit

Site Services Project Manager (Current Employee) El Segundo, CA

ProsBetter than average salary
    Benefits good, but slipping a bit for new employees
    Ample vacation, with extra time off around Christmas
    Opportunities to advance your career if you are willing to relocate to other states

ConsOne big silo
    Hidden agendas
    Age discrimination
    Empire building

Advice to Senior ManagementAudit, audit and audit some more: You would be surprised what an objective person will find
    If you talk the talk, got to walk the walk (Boeing vision and values)
    Someone objective needs to enforce ethics - the locals have assimilated
    Employees need to feel safe to bring up problems and share what isn't working or what is a bad idea. (without retaliation)

Good For Retires

Design Engineer (Former Employee) Everett, WA

Pros401k
    Benefits
    Sick Time
    Lack of Responsibility for lazy people
    Non-progressive atmosphere for the older generation

ConsLack of Challenge
    Lack of Responsibility for lazy people
    Non-progressive atmosphere for the older generation
    No actual learning experience

Advice to Senior ManagementCut all the older people that are not adding value constantly

Worked for Boeing? Contribute to the Community!