Boeing

www.boeing.com

Boeing Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

3.5 1,872 reviews

Boeing Chairman, President, and CEO Jim McNerney Jr.

Jim McNerney Jr.

Pros
  • Flexible work schedules usually allow for a good work/life balance(in 150 reviews)

• Great benefits, interesting work throughout most of my time there till recently(in 184 reviews)

Cons
  • Not terribly great at the work/life balance thing even though management claims to be(in 30 reviews)

• Management spends all their time in meetings pleasing upper management to make themselves look good(in 32 reviews)

1,872 Employee Reviews

I received education and experience that is priceless.

Inventory Manager (Former Employee) Wichita, KS

ProsThe people that I worked with on a daily basis was a wonderful experience. Everyone was aim at achieving the same goal: accomplishment and satisfaction.

ConsSometimes upper management didn't understand realistic schedules and the importance of following policies and procedures.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the workers in the office and the shop floor on a daily basis.

Good work/life balance with rewarding work but too much bureaucracy.

Programmer/Analyst II (Current Employee) Bellevue, WA

ProsEnjoyable work. Only 40 hours a week. Decent benefits. Free college. Easy to move to another position if you don't like the one you're in.

ConsToo much bureaucracy. Out of touch upper management. Employees seen as expendable with too many lay-offs and major shuffling of work to cities without clear communication of what exactly is happening. This has led to low morale. Slow to implement new tools and technology. Pay is okay but not that competitive for tech sector

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't treat us like replaceable widgets that can be swapped out at will with a minimum of training for the replacements.

New Intern

ProsBenefits, growth opportunities, atmosphere, employee learning opps

ConsNo cons experienced thus far

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It is an excellent company.

Process Engineer (Current Employee) All, MO

ProsThis company believes in theirs workers.

ConsBring more opportunities for new hiring.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinuous empowerment to your employees

Interns are treated well, but the work given could have been a little bit more challenging.

Structural Analysis Engineer (Former Employee) Tukwila, WA

ProsVery good office community. Benefits are excellent even for a low-level engineer. Interns receive paid vacation hours. Social networking system among fellow employees is a plus.

ConsWork wasn't challenging enough, though to be fair not a lot of big projects can be assigned for a 3-month internship. A lot of projects are done at a very slow pace. Not a lot of innovation going on in the commercial airliner side (at least that I have seen). Also, I wasn't able to start doing actual real work until 2 weeks into the internship when I finally got set up with a work station and when I finally was able to access all the online training. (Way too much red tape.)

Advice to Senior ManagementMore can be done to fit a engineer's skills and talents with an office that requires those skills and talents. I would have liked to dive into the work a bit faster. Less red tape would have been nice.

A very challenging job that yields high rewards.

Anonymous (Current Employee)

ProsYou have the distinct opportunity to work on the fringes of the future.

ConsHours can be long and the locations aren't thrilling if you love big city life.

Good place to work, but slow to make any changes

Business and Planning Analyst II (Current Employee) Mesa, AZ

ProsGood benefits
    Work-Life Balance
    Good career development opportunities

ConsSlow to make any changes, no matter how beneficial

Boeing--Great company.

Systems Analyst/Programmer (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsBoeing is a great place for those who want long-term stable employment. Benefits are superb and there's a lot of potential mobility, once working inside. They have a robust system for Employee Requested Transfers (ERTs) which allows employees the flexibility to move around to enhance skills. They have good programs for Tuition Reimbursement and great Learning Centers, where you find courses on virtually any topic. You can grow in your career without ever leaving the company.

ConsAs with any other large company the bureaucracy can be frustrating. Once they are using some processes or policies it's like trying to reverse direction on a freight train to change them. New innovations are slow to be adopted, if they are replacing existing technology. (This is not true if nothing is being replaced. They are quick to adopt new technology, if no one has to give-up "turf" to accept it.) If you are seeking a job at Boeing, get used to "red tape" because all the regulations are almost like working in a government job... almost.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind an Internal Market system and adopt it within the company. Then foster competition between similar departments. The free-market is a fantastic tool for promoting greater efficiency and innovation. Bring the market inside and create a profit-sharing system for providing corresponding rewards. Then you will out-strip all your competition on the outside of the company also.

Great Company

ProsInteresting projects, and opportunities. Learning together program pays for further education.

ConsOrientation/training program was lacking. Can be high stress environment.

Mixed Good and Bad

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee) Kent, WA

ProsBenefits were outstanding when I worked there, but they were cutting some when I left.
    They cut unlimited educational benefit though they left in place a common one of paying for classes if they related to your job.
    I think pension was cut for new employees but I don't know for sure.
    Salaries were competitive
    Engineering management came from engineering disciplines. Having had a different experience since, I see how wonderful it is to have management that you can discuss your work with
    New projects were very exciting and fun (but don't count on it for a first project there - there's high internal candidate competition for these projects). they used newer technologies and the problems were interesting.
    Because engineers were in a union, you got paid for every hour you worked.
    Met some very smart people there.

ConsOld projects or highly political projects were a drag to work on.
    Some projects are 20+ years old and so are their technologies
    One project was highly politicized making it difficult to even leverage enough to accomplish anything.
    Foreign projects had very heavy government regulation burdens that made for a lot of dry, boring work.
    When I first went to work there, there was an ethics scandal every week at the highest levels.
    System Engineering wasn't very strong.

Worked for Boeing? Contribute to the Community!