Boeing
www.boeing.com Chicago, IL 5000+ Employees

Boeing Reviews

Updated Apr 16, 2014

3.5 1,695 reviews

Boeing Chairman, President, and CEO Jim McNerney Jr.

Jim McNerney Jr.

1,695 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "Flexible work schedules usually allow for a good work/life balance"
    in 136 reviews
  • "Great benefits, interesting work throughout most of my time there till recently"
    in 171 reviews
Cons:
  • "Not terribly great at the work/life balance thing even though management claims to be"
    in 25 reviews
  • "Senior management is slow to move and a little slow to adopt new technologies"
    in 30 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Awesome Company but union gets in the way

Aircraft Assy/Moification Mechanic (Current Employee)
Ridley Park, PA

I have been working at Boeing full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat company, great benefits, decent pay

ConsUnion, too many people that should have retired years ago and getting in the way of new employees trying to prove there worth, instead of just sucking up a paycheck. Main reason I was getting laid off, I was the newest employee and first to go.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet out of bed with the union and stop letting the union fight for the druggies and people that just come to work when they want.

Decent benefits - a lot of bureaucracy

I have been working at Boeing

ProsGreat opportunity for work life balance as 9-5 Monday-Friday are the expectation and you aren't required to go above and beyond that.

ConsLack of personal accountability within the company leads to frustrating productivity for those who are high achievers as they become frustrated with those not being held accountable

Boeing IT So Calif

Applications Developer (Current Employee)
Long Beach, CA

I have been working at Boeing full-time for more than 10 years

ProsRelaxed environment, but Boeing is moving out of California. Constantly changing first level managers to the point where you can be working for someone who lives in a different state and really has little involvement with you work.

ConsUpper management cannot be trusted. Changes to benefits packages are never positive for the affected employees.

Easy, but really unmotivating

Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Boeing full-time

ProsEasy - they really put no stress on you, and have really low expectations
Flexible - a lot of managers are really easy-going about flexing time off
Healthcare/401k - healthcare is awesome, and their matching is pretty nice

ConsYou have to go through about five people to get even the simplest thing installed on your computer, they have absolutely no trust in their engineers, and they seem to constantly want to take everything good away from the employees, and they have recently decided that they want to pour more effort into stopping people from texting and walking than they do into improving the actual work we produce. Since it's a union, you're guaranteed a raise but getting anything decent is nearly impossible.

Advice to Senior ManagementMaybe don't cut pension when our CEO will make over 200k every month with his ever growing one. Also, stop focusing on one thing (like safety) when you are running an extremely inefficient company. They don't call it the Lazy B for nothing.

Leader in Aviation

Production Manager (Current Employee)
San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Boeing full-time for more than 10 years

ProsOpportunities for advancement and lateral movements are good for mid career employees who are looking to increase their skill set

ConsAs the company stock rose consistently every year, the company would lower employee benefits every year in the name or remaining competitive. Over the last 5 years, the company stopped offering pension plans, drastically lowered education benefits and moved more of the health care cost to employees. Company eliminated middle management positions throughout the enterprise and moved more responsibilities to first line management. However, the pay structure for management was drastically changed as overtime for management was eliminated but, the expectation to work more increased due to the additional responsibilities. The company moved salary employees to a new bonus plan but, re-structured the evaluation process drastically in order to lower bonus payouts.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on obtaining steady work load for employees so that layoffs are not an issue

Where creativity goes to die

Engineer (Current Employee)
Renton, WA

I have been working at Boeing full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat employee benefits such as: community service hours cash matching, cash donation matching, 401K matching, insurance, and a relatively easy process for reimbursing continuing education in technical degrees. Engineering management is pretty generous with "flex time".

Cons1) Parking is horrendous and management refuses to acknowledge the problem. They believe the solution is really only to add more parking stalls further away and parking shuttles.
2) Although it's a big company, it takes way too long to look into moving around into other jobs after 1 year.
3) You very much feel like you have no personal impact to company goals.
4) I get the impression that senior management sees individual employees as expendable, and undercutting the employees to preserve their profit margin for stakeholders. I don't get that from my immediate supervisors however.
5) Too much technical decisions are defaulted to management to make the decision. Many workers don't have a sense of pride or ownership of successes and failures.

Advice to Senior ManagementLead by example: If we are having to pay more for healthcare and you are paying less toward our retirement, shouldn't the executives do so as well? It is probably not a good idea to announce stock increases as you are taking away benefits from your employees via a contract.

Exciting work, de-motivating senior management.

Engineer (Former Employee)
Seattle, WA

I worked at Boeing full-time for more than 10 years

ProsExcellent salary. Outstanding benefits. First level manager cares about employees. Work was interesting.

ConsExecutives care little or none about employees--they are just another widget to use and discard as necessary. Short term decision for immediate profit that cause large issues later on. Difficult to get promoted without changing jobs.

Advice to Senior ManagementRealize that senior engineers have a benefit beyond what you are paying them. You cannot simply move the work to a new location and hire new junior engineers to take over the work.

Quality Services Specialist - Full time job

Quality Services Specialist (Current Employee)
Everett, WA

I have been working at Boeing full-time for more than 3 years

ProsI have friendly co-workers and my managers have been pretty good.

ConsIt's a large organization and change can be difficult.

Advice to Senior Managementnone

Great place for a long term career

I have been working at Boeing

ProsGreat work environment. Younger average age in Charleston.

ConsNot a great place for people from urban communities.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Overall good company to work for

SSG (Former Employee)
Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Boeing full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGreat benefits, friendly co-workers. Good salary.

ConsFeel like just a number. Trying to do too much work with fewer employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop reorganizing so much.

Worked for Boeing? Contribute to the Community!

Boeing Videos

Boeing – Why Work for Us?

Boeing is the world’s largest aerospace company and leading manufacturer of commercial airplanes and defense, space and security systems. Additionally, Boeing designs and manufactures rotorcraft, electronic and defense… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Boeing reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Boeing CEO Jim McNerney Jr. All 1,695 reviews posted anonymously by Boeing employees.