Boeing

www.boeing.com

Boeing Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

3.5 1,873 reviews

Boeing Chairman, President, and CEO Jim McNerney Jr.

Jim McNerney Jr.

Pros
  • Flexible work schedules usually allow for a good work/life balance(in 150 reviews)

• Great benefits, interesting work throughout most of my time there till recently(in 184 reviews)

Cons
  • Not terribly great at the work/life balance thing even though management claims to be(in 30 reviews)

• Management spends all their time in meetings pleasing upper management to make themselves look good(in 32 reviews)

1,873 Employee Reviews

HR

Senior Manager (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsAlways a new challenge. With an employee population of approx. 150,000 employees, we get all sorts of interesting compliance issues. Coworkers are well educated, competent and dedicated to delivering quality services to employees and internal business partners.

ConsChange is slow. Sometimes implementing needed changes felt like pushing a boulder uphill. A company of this size is inherently complex, but a history of mergers and acquisitions has made Boeing so complex that your ability to deliver results often depends on your tenure, your network of contacts, and your ability to remember why decisions were made.

Advice to Senior ManagementCareer growth opportunities can be limited....consider more rotational and special assignments to keep high performers engaged while waiting for promotional opportunities.

A company that really cares for its employees

Financial Analyst Intern (Former Employee) Tukwila, WA

ProsAs an intern:
    - 40 hour work weeks with 1.5x overtime pay
    - One week of paid vacation (unheard of for internships)
    - Awesome programs set up for us to learn more about Boeing
    - Given legitimate work and really made to feel part of the team at Boeing

ConsAs a finance major, I did not really feel too excited by my work. Boeing is an engineering company, so finance is more of a back office role in the company. Therefore, it didn't really fit what I wanted.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou are doing a great job treating your employees as well as you do. Keep it up!

Great exp at Boeing

Marketing Analyst (Current Employee)

ProsGreat place to be and great work life balance

ConsSlow. Some use it as just a job to collect their pay check

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Mixed; really depends on the manager you contract to

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee) Everett, WA

ProsWhile contracting to BR&T and one manager, that manager and his group were very professional, friendly and cooperative. I worked on a series of projects where I was given a free hand and was able to be very creative and productive. I had a wonderful time! Unfortunately BR&T is being moved to other states.

ConsWas told I had 2 weeks to turn a prototype into production equipment. Seriously?
    Working with a different manager I had multiple bosses and received nonsensical, poorly defined orders of the "don't do X" variety and got shouted at when I asked about X. I was only trying to understand what they wanted. Multiple people (who can't drive) grabbing the steering wheel.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen working with contractors, it is extremely helpful to be given orders by a single person. Training in clear communications would be helpful as well.

Fulfilling engineering employment, but poor advancement opportunities

Structural Analysis Engineer III (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsI joined Boeing 18 months ago looking for an employer that was engineering interesting products and that valued quality engineering. Boeing for the most part does these two things well. The quality of the engineering staff is generally excellent, the work is interesting (particularly in Phantom Works), the resources and tools provided to the engineering staff are good but not excellent. Good benefits when compared to other defense industry companys, but only average when compared across all industries.

Great place to work for recent grads starting an engineering career. The fully paid advanced education benefit is excellent.

ConsDon't be suprised if Boeing's initial offer seems very low. If you are experienced, submit a counter offer.

The two largest concerns for me are performance recognition and advancement opportunities. I joined Boeing as an experienced engineer, taking a pay and grade cut when I accepted Boeing's offer. A year and a half later and I'm still the same grade and nearly the same salary, even with my manager stating that I should have been hired in one grade higher. The performance management process at Boeing is broken, which is great for an average engineer, but terrible for the high performers. Managers are very constrained on the pay raises they can give to their employees and in-line advancement is done by committee. Boeing is also going through cost reduction exercises with intentional reduction of advancements above grade 3.

In-line advancement beyond grade 3 is difficult and beyond grade 4 doesn't happen. For experienced staff, Boeing requires applying for a new position and these positions are often open to external candidates, so they are competitive. It is unclear if Boeing gives internal candidates any preference in the hiring process. It is no different to applying to another position at any other company, so there is little incentive to remain at Boeing if you find a better offer elsewhere.

Tools and methods in some disciplines, like structural analysis, lag behind those used in other industries. Boeing doesn't pay for training beyond grade 2, it is on your own time. The engineering responsibilities are strictly separated (particularly loads, dynamics and structural analysis) which leads to engineers who are not well rounded.

If you "talk the talk", need to "walk the walk"

Facilities Analyst (Current Employee) Huntington Beach, CA

ProsGood to fair benefits.
    Chance of advancement (if you are young)

ConsAll the right things appear to be in place: The mission statement, the company values, annual goals, performance reviews, a skills team to totem pole employees, etc. The stunning reality is that a "Good Old Boy's" society can exist (with a lack of ethics of ethics). Silos exist and managers can "talk the talk" but not "walk the walk"

Lots of empire building and fighting among middle management. They have an agenda with a vision that is mostly hidden. Constant change, chaos and management rotation.

Ethics Problems & Age Discrimination

Advice to Senior ManagementSomeone needs to do some upper management house cleaning . Just because you have an agenda for outsourcing, shouldn't eliminate ethics and following what is published as company policy and vision. When you quit listening and lose your objectivity, serious ethics violations occur.

First-line management is afraid to bring issues forward. They have an, "I can read an org. chart" mentality and only want to tell management what management wants to hear. That is a sign of a serious problem. Management has to take negative input along with the good input. Management has to be objective about their "pet projects".

The common saying is that "management doesn't know what they don't know". It becomes laughable when middle management doesn't know what they don't know and you combine that with first-line management that is rotated so often that they join the ranks of not knowing what they don't know. You end up with an entire group of ignorant managers making bad decisions.

Obtain and value the input of all employees. Too many employees are excluded. It may support your ego to surround yourself with "yes" people, but it isn't good business practice Those young employees who appear to be shining stars know they get better perks and rewards if they prop up your ego.

Management gets hung up on certain small things and totally ignores other extremely important things. You micromanage some little things that are insignificant in the bigger picture. At the same time, you have total disregard for things like proper charge lines and vendors not complying with their contract. Doesn't anyone ever audit things? The deck gets shuffled so often that people are performing jobs without knowing the contracts they work with, the charge lines that need to be used and the essential things to audit. They don't know and their managers don't know - lots of ignorance.

Decent work environment with many learning opportunity.

Structural Analysis Engineer (Current Employee) Ridley Park, PA

ProsAll the learning opportunity outside of job scope.

ConsI was there less than 1 year and got the layoff notice. There is no sympathy within the company.

Systems Engineering

Systems Engineer (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsBoeing has great pay and benefits because of the strong union and strong company performance.

ConsThe goal of Boeing is to now eliminate the union for the engineers and reduce the pay scale dramatically. This will free up more money to pay off the 787 debts incurred and maximize shareholder profits.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake care of the employees and the rest will fall into place. Ignore the employees as one of the key stakeholders and the business and profits will diminish.

Steer clear of Boeing in Houston

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsThe pay is at or above average at this time when it seems like so many companies are trying to pass less. The benefits are still great compared to many other companies, but they are cutting back and the playing field is beginning to even.

ConsThe management is toxic. You tend to be overworked as they drive to unrealistic schedules. There are management favorites and if you are not already one there is no chance to become one. All management wants surrounding them are toadies and sycophants. I know this sounds harsh, but it has not always been this way. I have been with this company for over 15 years and I am actively looking for a new position because I cannot take anymore.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust your employees to do their job. Treat them like professionals and value their input. Realize that you don't know everything. Build teams instead of trying to rule by fear.

Dull work, minimal recognition, meager pay for people with IT technical skill sets

Technical Writer (Current Employee) Fort Walton Beach, FL

ProsFor the area, the pay is decent. Annual bonuses if a full time employee

ConsNot good with employee recognition. Military mind-set environment. Many employees who barely do their work.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement is part of the problem

Worked for Boeing? Contribute to the Community!