Boeing

Updated November 24, 2014
2,183 Reviews
3.5
2,183 Reviews

Boeing Chairman, President, and CEO Jim McNerney Jr.
Jim McNerney Jr.

Pros
  • Boeing offers great flexibility to its employees with their work/life balance (in 173 reviews)

• Great benefits, interesting work throughout most of my time there till recently (in 212 reviews)

Cons
  • Not terribly great at the work/life balance thing even though management claims to be (in 40 reviews)

• Management spends all their time in meetings pleasing upper management to make themselves look good (in 40 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company to work for, if you are Okay with old-school work policies and government contracts.

I worked at Boeing full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great people, OK salary, generally decent leadership. Great benefits, like 401k matching, medical, stock program. You can take credited unvercity courses and company sponsoring the courses fee. Really and I mean it, meaningful projects. So, if you are want to "make an impact", Boeing will give you that opportunity.

Cons

When I said "old-school", it is real of what it is. You will feel, like you are back in 50-70-th. Thick binders with "rules and regulations" that you have to memorize and follow. Many of those R&R are coming from the fact, that most likely, you will be working on some USG contract.

Better selection process for low-level management.

Great Experience and Benefits

Current Employee - Flightline Readiness Technician in North Charleston, SC
    Current Employee - Flightline Readiness Technician in North Charleston, SC

I have been working at Boeing full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There's always something to learn and something new to do. Everybody I work with has been great. Also the benefits can't be beat. All without a union.

Cons

Some of the managers really have zero idea how to manage people. The bean counters have been worried about the wrong things

Train all managers before they are allowed to be promoted

Best Aerospace company I ever worked for

I have been working at Boeing

Pros

I was exposed to many exciting work and career opportunities at Boeing over the years. The people, though, are what make boeing such a great place to work. Best run company I ever worked for (have worked for 10 companies in aerospace, hi-tech, and manufacturing as an engineer). Very enjoyable work atmosphere. Had many group pot-lucks for the holidays. made many friends there. People always go out of their way to help you get your job done. Management very helpful to develop your career and provide other work opportunities to learn other job skills. Flexible work hours, great benefits, great people. Most interesting company culture I was ever exposed to.

Cons

Can be very challenging to get your work done on time. Must work hard/develop good time management skills.

Mostly a positive experience helping, having fun providing solutions to complex and challenging projects.

Former Employee - Member of Technical Staff
    Former Employee - Member of Technical Staff

I worked at Boeing full-time

Pros

Plenty of challenging projects, time-off group activities, paid college tuition, etc. Recent college graduates can also benefit from a wide selection of challenging work opportunities and interesting projects of their chosen field.

Cons

I noticed politics to be a negative aspect in some circles. Company values seemed to be guided by political trends.

Management needs to be proactive in rewarding the positive technical and administrative contributions of employees, their talent and expertise. Newly hired employees would benefit in going over what is expected from them and perhaps conduct preliminary reviews if necessary. It may also help to have informative sessions of group members interests, personalities and goals; thus group members can be better aware of what to expect from them in order to minimize or eliminate conflicts that may be barriers or obstacles to achieving company and project goals.

Great R&D Environment, but slow moving.

Former Employee - Design Engineer
    Former Employee - Design Engineer

I worked at Boeing as a contractor (more than 10 years)

Pros

Many bright people work here, and there are plenty of opportunities to work on interesting technology development projects, especially in the research and development arm. A deep pool of technical experts makes it possible to avoid reinventing the wheel.

Cons

Slow moving company. Too much management overhead and slow decision making and approval process can be frustrating to the nimble engineer. Lazy people can hide here, which hurts morale among hard workers.

Empower engineers to make decisions.

IT Professional

Current Employee - Versatile Technologist in Mesa, AZ
    Current Employee - Versatile Technologist in Mesa, AZ

I have been working at Boeing full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great company tow work for. Excellent perks and the co workers there all have the same goal in mind in helping the company succeed for a very long time. Good compensation, good benefits, paid tuition 401k, flexible with schedule, and the ability to shape your career as you want to with plenty of developmental resources. Plenty of resources for training both in person and online. Great company to work.

Cons

Hiring process both internal and external is a little convoluted. Should not take longer than a month to find out if one is considered for a position or not. IT needs to be a little more valued. In my opinion, IT has lost some of its value and needs someone to step in and champion IT again.

Fulfilling

Current Employee - Aeronautical Engineer in Huntington Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Aeronautical Engineer in Huntington Beach, CA

I have been working at Boeing full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I've been working here for a while now, and all I can say is that the job is fulfilling especially if you're passionate about aeronautics, aerodynamics, etc. The job environment is friendly too.

Cons

Working here I found that you really get swamped into a system that just encourages top executives for their input. Decision making should also be from average employees.

Take in ideas

Great company to work for with a global presence.

Current Employee - Procurement Agent III in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Procurement Agent III in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Boeing full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Global competitor, many growth opportunities, many locations, excellent work/life balance. I have great coworkers as well.

Cons

Promotions and personal growth greatly limited by supervisors. This is an industry that is in flux and one must be flexible or willing to find another job.

Allow your employees to pursue growth opportunities as soon as possible as opposed to "doing your time" as they may be inclined to look at another company willing to give them the desired challenges and exposure.

Slow but Safe Company to grow with

Current Employee - Manager in Huntington Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Huntington Beach, CA

I have been working at Boeing full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Plenty of varying opportunities and room to grow. Most of your advanced schooling is compensated.

Cons

Difficult for young or ambitious people to feel valued.

Realize that in 5 years half the existing leaders will be retiring so promote early so that the new leaders can still learn from the old before they go.

Good people, fun products

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at Boeing full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Boeing offers great benefits, decent pay, and fun projects. My team was awesome, and management was working towards a healthy work/life balance for everyone. Food trucks come by every day of the week.

Cons

The location does not have an onsite child care provider, nor does it have a kitchen and dinning area. Mostly paper work, but that comes with any job.

It would be easier for working parents to have an on site child care provider, and a kitchen with healthy meal options.