Boeing

Updated January 29, 2015
2,304 Reviews
3.5
2,304 Reviews

Boeing Chairman, President, and CEO Jim McNerney Jr.
Jim McNerney Jr.
1,014 Ratings

Pros
  • Boeing offers great flexibility to its employees with their work/life balance (in 186 reviews)

• Great benefits, interesting work throughout most of my time there till recently (in 246 reviews)

Cons
  • Not terribly great at the work/life balance thing even though management claims to be (in 44 reviews)

• Management spends all their time in meetings pleasing upper management to make themselves look good (in 40 reviews)

More Highlights

It's ok.

I have been working at Boeing

Pros

Benefits, benefits, benefits, benefits, and benefits.

Cons

No room for advancement, very disappointing.

Excellent professional experience but little understanding around the SATA model.

Former Employee - Process Systems Analyst in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Process Systems Analyst in Seattle, WA

I worked at Boeing

Pros

My boss was highly motivated and somewhat available for supportive engagement.

Cons

Boeing is monolithic. Access to documents and online resources was extremely challenging, particularly as an outside consultant. My direct report was unskilled in her understanding of the importance of Sponsor, Agent, Target and Advocate in her attempts to develop change efforts which significantly undermined my capacity as a Develooment and change consultant.

Management training is needed. Lower level managers are oftentimes promoted beyond their organizational competency resulting in difficulties in task delegation, agility and change management

The Boeing Company

I have been working at Boeing full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great Company with excellent benefits

Cons

Hard to advance as people stay with the company for many years

Great work life balance. Lots if independence for procurement

Current Employee - Buyer in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Buyer in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Boeing

Pros

Decent starting salary, good benefits, great work-life balance. Little opportunity for upward mobility, but raises are given

Cons

No upward mobility. You may see small promotions early on but rarely will you see a great lateral move

Diversity needed in upper management.

Benefits are great, poor career development

Current Employee - Wire Design Engineer I in Long Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Wire Design Engineer I in Long Beach, CA

I have been working at Boeing full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, fair pay, lenient management, flexible hours. Overtime is time + $6.00/hr (pretty good for a salaried position). ~30 days paid sick leave/holiday/vacation a year.

Cons

Raises are all shared across your department so your motivation can get sapped pretty quick if you have a lot of slugs in your group.

Stop tethering raises together and punish low level managers that shove their poor performers onto other departments instead of confronting the issue.

Good environment for young engineers

I have been working at Boeing full-time

Pros

Competitive salary, great benefits, a lot of opportunity to move around within the company

Cons

Slow and lumbering due to its size, can have an air of process without reason

The people are great

Former Employee - Procurement Analyst
    Former Employee - Procurement Analyst

I worked at Boeing

Pros

Good managers
    Flexibility to move around
    Great name brand

Cons

Low starting salary
    Necessary beurocracy
    Many cogs in a large operation like them

Figure out a way to let managers get things done

Enjoyed very much!

Former Employee - Intern
    Former Employee - Intern

Pros

Cons

Disappointing middle management. Great work-life balance for interns, no crazy expectations. very good experience. I enjoyed my time a lot and I would definitely work there again.

Great place to start off your career.

Former Employee - Business Skills Rotation Program in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Business Skills Rotation Program in Seattle, WA

I worked at Boeing full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Working at Boeing as a first job out of college is very structured. There are training classes that all new employees must go through and depending on your field, more specific material.

After the training period, work is pretty much the same for more matured programs and is low stress.

Great work life balance, I rarely ever worked more than 40 hours weekly.

Cons

Boring and uninspiring. As a new college graduate I thought I could get in and make a difference, but most employees are resilient to change and new ideas.

Pool new hires into a separate team versus mixing them in with current employees.

Great company, good benefits, excellent people to work with and grow a career

Former Employee - Integrated Scheduling Specialist III in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Integrated Scheduling Specialist III in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Boeing

Pros

I worked in St. Louis, MO - Benefits were good, although they had dropped tuition reimbursement levels the funded level still allowed for a four course a year load that did not hamper my timeline much. Excellent training program for Integrated Scheduling career path with great mentors to help you along wherever you were in your experience level. I worked on some really exciting projects with limited management oversight yet all the support I needed to be successful. Excellent work-life balance and great atmosphere to work in.

Cons

Large company with many policies and information was sometimes scattered across several systems making it difficult at times to find what you needed quickly. Overall the systems were integrated where possible to ease this and improvements were always being done. Pay was average but good for the experience and opportunities having worked for Boeing granted.

Keep doing what you were doing. Consider raising pay rates to be more near the top of industry norms.