Boeing

www.boeing.com
Employer Engaged

37 year veteran of Boeing.

I worked at Boeing

Pros

I spent what feels like a lifetime within the system, and it is a system. That said the company offers a wide variety of locations, careers and a good salary. I had the good fortune to work at numerous locations across the United States and have been blessed to work several very interesting projects.

Cons

After 37 years inside I feel institutionalized. (Or maybe I should be...)

Overall compensation is very fair and the work life balance is good. However, the culture of boeing is, well..."old."

I have been working at Boeing

Pros

Vacation time, and flexibile schedules are some huge pros here.

Cons

There is a lot of layers of management and getting promoted is getting harder and harder.

Upper/executive level management seems disillusioned with how workers really feel in terms of morale.

Great company with which to start an aerospace career

Current Employee - Aerodynamics Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Aerodynamics Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Boeing full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

- Good compensation and paid overtime
    - Great health benefits and 401K match
    - Plenty of career development opportunities
    - Feeling of community
    - Good work/life balance
    - Interesting work projects

Cons

- Typical big company stuff: 2 weeks and 6 manager approvals to get a new, $5 stapler (ok, maybe that's a slight exaggeration); difficult to collaborate with colleagues in other business units due to budget charging constraints; lots of red tape
    - Engineers in Washington state must join the union (that's a state mandate, not Boeing, but it is still something a prospective employee should be aware of)
    - My previous organization moved to different Boeing sites in the Seattle area 4 times in a 6 year span. One of those moves was completely completely across town, and my commute went from 15 to 50 miles each way. When I finally escaped that 3 hours of commuting per day and found a position back within 15 miles, it wasn't long before an announcement was made that my new organization was being moved to Seal Beach, CA. Each of these moves places a great deal of stress on the employees and their families, therefore morale, productivity, and quality suffer. Furthermore, with each of these moves I saw many quality engineers retire or find work at other companies. Some of these engineers were experts in their field and it was a big loss to the organization.

- Don't stop investing in future technologies. We need to stay ahead of the competition in product performance and operating cost.
    - Stop moving groups across town and across the country. It lowers team morale, hinders productivity, and results in large amounts of attrition, often by very knowledgeable and experienced individuals.

Overall great company to work for.

Current Employee - Software Developer in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Boeing full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Extensive employees services, ranging from community groups to advanced training. Perks are great as well.

Cons

Frequent management shifts, some IT departments behind the times. Career advancement is not promoted enough, people get to comfortable and neglect current technologies and trends.

Make sure your managers are inspiring and actually have experience doing the work that they are managing, at least the first level ones. Promote career growth and adaptation of new technologies.

Exciting work for you.

Current Employee - Software Engineer II in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Software Engineer II in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Boeing full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

For an average performer, the pay is slightly higher than average for the area. Boeing is one of the two major employers in the St Louis, MO area. As a result, you get some company initiated perks (like free airport parking and car rental and other discounts) and also some vendor provided perks (like discounts on apartment rental)..
    Boeing sponsors your education completely free to you for anything less than a graduate degree. For a graduate degree, you still get refunded for all the costs (book, tuition, fees ...) but you have to stay with the company for two years after your last graduate class (whether you complete your degree or not).
    Boeing provides excellent health coverage for the individual. You can also exercise for free in the company gyms if you can make it at least eight times a month (the charge is $10 a month voluntarily deducted from your paycheck)..
    You will enjoy a great work-life balance with flexible schedule. Recently, the company increased vacation accrual rate to stay competitive in the industry.
    With the company's positive outlook, you are assured of a longtime availability of a position in one project or another.

Cons

Boeing has an attitude towards software engineers as dispensable. They seem to be waiting for the day they complete all their software tasks on plate so that they can focus on building airframes. There is an irritating saying that gets uttered in the company, "We are not a software company."
    Boeing will employ all the tricks on the book to lower their non-recurring engineering cost on software engineering. St Louis is not known as a technology hub; so, the competition between companies to retain talent is non-existent. You feel stuck with the job and salary (insignificantly higher than average) that you get offered. I don't think management keeps relocating engineers from other locations to St. Louis by accident. The second trick is to not differentiate between software and firmware engineering. You could be performing work as close to the metal as a firmware engineer but you will get paid the same salary as other software engineers that are higher in the niche.
    Boeing does nothing to appreciate exceptional talent.
    The family health insurance is mediocre that you pay substantial portion of a thousand dollars out-of-pocket as cost of healthcare. This is in addition to the increased monthly premium from the individual coverage.

So far, after three years, the experience has been quite good.

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Boeing full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great people, great work/life ballance. work is interesting, and the benefits are the best in any industry.

Cons

Your experience really depends on your team and manager. There are alot of Theory X management style folks still here (when I want your opinion I will give it to you), not sure if that is because of the large quantity of ex military folks here or not.

Allow strategy to be driven from the bottom up, not top down.

Great company

Current Intern - Ground Support Operations in El Segundo, CA
    Current Intern - Ground Support Operations in El Segundo, CA

I have been working at Boeing as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Diversity in terms of tasks.
    There is room to do what you are interested in.
    Friendly atmosphere.

Cons

Traffic in the morning and the afternoon.

None

my time at boeing

Former Employee - Sheetmetal Mechanic
    Former Employee - Sheetmetal Mechanic

I worked at Boeing

Pros

good benefitsdecnt payand a sense of pride b/c you help build aircraft, e had a christmas bonus and a gainsharig check at the end of the year.

Cons

work is very contract related sually can expect to deal with a layoff

Excellent opportunities, though definitely a very large company.

I have been working at Boeing

Pros

Boeing is a great company to work for with excellent benefits. The projects you can work on there are always unique and challenging, working on airplanes is a very rewarding experience.

Cons

Working for such a large employer it feels easy to get lost sometimes. They have so many resources available to them, that you may not seem as important as you might elsewhere.

Technical Data Design

Current Contractor - Technical Data Designer III in Hazelwood, MO
    Current Contractor - Technical Data Designer III in Hazelwood, MO

I have been working at Boeing as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Strong team, with an amazing amount of knowledge and experience.

Cons

The company is in the process of move all technical authoring to the panhandle of Florida.