Boeing Reviews

Updated August 26, 2014
1,979 Reviews

3.6
1,979 Reviews

Boeing Chairman, President, and CEO Jim McNerney Jr.
Jim McNerney Jr.

Pros
  • Flexible work schedules usually allow for a good work/life balance (in 152 reviews)

• Great benefits, interesting work throughout most of my time there till recently (in 186 reviews)

Cons
  • Not terribly great at the work/life balance thing even though management claims to be (in 30 reviews)

• Management spends all their time in meetings pleasing upper management to make themselves look good (in 32 reviews)

More Highlights

Excellent opportunities in Finance

Current Employee - Financial Planning Analyst
    Current Employee - Financial Planning Analyst

I have been working at Boeing full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

strong performance rewarded, encouraged to be mobile (~2-3yrs/job), great management support and people development focus, unique analysis opportunities

Cons

some people are not being pushed to excel in their work and it can affect the quality of your work

Great work/ life balance. You need to know the right people and work the system. Networking is key to moving up.

Current Employee - Component Engineer
    Current Employee - Component Engineer

I have been working at Boeing full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Pay is comparable to other Aerospace companies. Education reimbursement for engineering degrees is 100%

Cons

Very political in annual raises and promotions

Look at the top companies to work for and see why the younger generations don't feel any ties to the company

Great place to work for

Current Employee - Systems Engineer  in  El Segundo, CA
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in El Segundo, CA

I have been working at Boeing full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Company cares for their employees, there is a lot of pride in their work and their brand, good place to build a career, excellent benefits, great pay, much of how you like the company depends on your immediate managers, very professional place to work, culture fosters knowledge sharing and learning

Cons

The raises/promotions are at a small/slow pace, expected to work many hours if put on a challenging project, not as flexible with schedule as other companies, much of the El Segundo facilities are not a very pleasant office environment (like a factory)

Keep doing what you are doing to promote our business, give employees opportunities to pursue more IRAD/innovation

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Excellent Employeer

Current Employee - Structural Dynamics Engineer  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Structural Dynamics Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Boeing full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good compensation (salary, retirement, health care, tuition, etc.)
    Fair treatment
    Opportunities (get in the door and other opportunities come about)

Cons

Bureaucratic (sometimes too many rules, but these can protect you at times)
    Slow

Keep making improvements

Solid Company to Work At

Current Employee - Electrical Engineer II  in  El Segundo, CA
    Current Employee - Electrical Engineer II in El Segundo, CA

I have been working at Boeing full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Decent pay
    - Flexible hours, great work/life balance
    - Decent benefits

Cons

- LOTS of bureaucracy, several levels of the chain of command, makes it super hard to do anything outside of your specific role
    - Raises adjust for inflation only
    - Everything is driven by contracts

If you want people here to innovate, you need to at least remove all the red tape and paperwork that only acts as a hindrance. It wouldn't hurt to provide incentives either.

Pretty good, work ebbs and flows at different times, but all in all it's a good experience.

Current Employee - Research Technician  in  Huntsville, AL
    Current Employee - Research Technician in Huntsville, AL

I have been working at Boeing part-time for more than a year

Pros

They pay well and are a big name around Huntsville.

Cons

Lack of work at times.

Guide all of the college interns to be productive and make the job a fun working environment.

Everything about the company is GRAND

Former Employee - Manufacturing Engineer  in  Everett, WA
    Former Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in Everett, WA

I worked at Boeing full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great Benefits and perks. They offer a great benefit package option with no monthly cost. The employees have great options for career growth and travel. Access to corporate credit card with work travel. Relocation benefits were very well coordinated and quick.

Cons

Get lost in the shuffle. Too big at times. Getting things done often runs at a snails pace if it gets done at all.

Get rid of the "good ol' boys" system.

Career Shaping

Current Employee - Analyst  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Analyst in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Boeing full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Hi Tech company with a variety of work and opportunities to learn new things and add to your skills. Good benefits and compensation. Fairly flexible work schedule. Incredible learning opportunities and access to experts.

Cons

Sometimes difficult to see how you connect to the bottom line due to size of the company. Like many companies, a lot of changes are happening to benefits, organizations and structure of business units to improve profitability.

be careful how far we go in the current direction of cutting expenses at the cost of people. People are our greatest asset and we must retain skills and knowledge.

Great Company

Current Employee - Real Time Software Engineer  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Real Time Software Engineer in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Boeing full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Cutting Edge Technology. World Class Engineers. Some of the best and brightest people I've ever worked with.

Cons

Takes a long time to rank up.

You shouldn't tolerate people who can't perform up to their pay grade. There are plenty of people who'd like to excel, but senior engineers who don't perform per their SJC prevent people from ranking up. Don't fire these people, because they usually have great skills. But, maybe think of ways of rotating them back into the normal ranks.

Cannot Wait to Retire

Current Employee - Business Analyst  in  Everett, WA
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Everett, WA

I have been working at Boeing full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Large enough company to move around until you find something you really like - pretty decent benefits too. Plus, the company offers excellent back to school benefits.

Cons

The company changed the way they let people know their retention value. It used to be 1,2, or 3 (maybe A, B, and C) and if you were a 3 or a C, you were nervous around layoff time. Now the company is silent about where you rank, and I've seen a ton of older employees head out the door since this policy started. Shame on you...

Enforce documented processes, senior management is looking the other way and we are headed down a slippery slope. I've seen other orgs inject their dogma on another org's process and get away with doing that and NOT documenting their process - how does this happen when we all have to take ethics training! WAKE THE F UP Jim, I think you are cowering in your corner and let this happen because you will be old and retired when this spit hits the fan!

Worked for Boeing? Contribute to the Community!