Boeing Reviews

Updated October 21, 2014
2,109 Reviews
3.5
2,109 Reviews

Boeing Chairman, President, and CEO Jim McNerney Jr.
Jim McNerney Jr.

Pros
  • Boeing offers great flexibility to its employees with their work/life balance (in 169 reviews)

• Great benefits, interesting work throughout most of my time there till recently (in 207 reviews)

Cons
  • Not terribly great at the work/life balance thing even though management claims to be (in 40 reviews)

• Management spends all their time in meetings pleasing upper management to make themselves look good (in 40 reviews)

More Highlights

The place is changing and not for better

Current Employee - Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Boeing full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I've done tons of cool stuff during my time at Boeing. Lots of opportunities for those willing to take them. Bright people working on newest technologies. All of that is great.

Cons

Instability with never ending organizational changes and jobs moving back and forth across the enterprise.

What's the point?

Great company to work for

Current Employee - Procurement Agent II in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Procurement Agent II in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Boeing full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There are many reasons to work at Boeing. The best is the great benefits you'll receive once working there. Seattle office is very open to LGBT and various other affinity groups. GREAT work life balance. Many are able to flex their schedules and work from home.

Cons

Too many older, baby boomers who run the company. Lots of people competing for one job within a certain group. Little room for fast promotion. Most managers do not become managers until late 30s.

Need to start adding more in-office "perks" to attract top young engineers and prevent them from going to Amazon, Microsoft, and other small tech start ups.

Boeing

I have been working at Boeing

Pros

Good Company with lots of opportunities

Cons

lots of red tape to navigate

Do more to engage new employees

Working at Boeing

I have been working at Boeing

Pros

Different working environment than other specialized IT companies

Cons

There are a lot of politics to deal with

Used to be great, now is looking to simply improve profit margins.

Current Employee - Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Boeing full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The benefits are great, will pay for any engineering related tuition. It's not very stressful, good work/life balance.

Cons

Is no longer an engineering company and is now more of an "integration" company. Work is outsourced to suppliers and subsuppliers. Work is moved to cheap states/cities with no regards for engineering excellence.

Executives Can't Retain Positions in Intelligence Sector Due To Bad Behavior

Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Springfield, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Springfield, VA

I have been working at Boeing full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good benefits and compensation package. 401K is outstanding with a good yearly results pay match if your division does well. Schedule is flexible in most locations. Free flu shots and wellness screenings.

Cons

There is a facade of ethics because the government makes Boeing conduct ethics training every hear due to being caught doing illegal things before. There is a no managerial bullying/harassment policy, but under the covers it is a joke. HR takes the managers side and does not enforce policies. Executives seem to be on a revolving door plan while doing very bad things with their co-workers and/or employees. Three senior executives have been walked out the door in the past year due to ethical and/or probable legal violations. Two landed with other partner companies who do business with Boeing and Boeing does nothing to end the partnerships. This leaves us peons scratching our heads. When our customers hear of this (and they do because our community is small), they are none too happy to work with our company moving forward. When we try to bring our friends in for jobs they don't want to come as well. Lots of job consolidations and layoffs over the past three years also while some people clearly not fit for positions remain on staff. There isn't any career upward mobility now due to defense and intelligence spending cuts and I think this is the same at every large defense and intelligence contractor. Health plan is degrading yearly with less benefits and higher deductible prices. Talk of eliminating the pension plan is looming over everyone's head. This may reduce the amount of people retired on the job so may be turn into a pro. It's hard to get promoted at Boeing because they'd rather hire cheaper from the outside than elevate good people who cost more in the short run but could save more in the long run.

Keep it to yourselves if you know what I mean. Don't do bad things to give the rest of us bad names in the eyes of the company's, our customers and our friends.

Lots of politics

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mesa, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mesa, AZ

I worked at Boeing full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Benefits, general preparedness of tools for job, good benefits for continued employment, prestigious name, fairly flexible concerning PTO, non union

Cons

Politics, cliques, favoritism, middle management is usually fall-guy for problems, if they hate you your life is hell, slow to advance

You'd be better served listening a bit more closely to staffers instead of intimidating them into being quiet

Good Company; Horrible Mgmt

Current Employee - Procurement Agent III in Ridley Park, PA
    Current Employee - Procurement Agent III in Ridley Park, PA

I have been working at Boeing full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The company is a good company to work for if you get the right manager. The pay and the benefits are very competitive. The professional development opportunities are endless.

Cons

Some of the old school managers are not held accountable for their actions. If you some how get a manager who is from the "Old Boy's" club and you have a family, you can forget work-life balance. They don't care and are not flexible at all.

Up until now, Boeing has been a good place to work.

I have been working at Boeing full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I like that there are lots of options for work. If my boss is not a good fit for me, I can go find a different group to work in. The hours are good; no one expects you to put in more than your eight hour day without overtime pay. Flex time and one day a week of working from home are very valuable benefits to me to adjust to my child's schedule and special events.

Cons

In 2013, the company executives said that they want to lay off half the research staff in the greater Seattle area. And they are particularly interested in getting rid of the half that are higher paid, meaning that all the people they've nurtured and promoted over the years should be the first ones out. Luckily the engineering union contract prevents this to be implemented in its pure form. Still, this means all the hard work I've put it has just backfired, and I'm looking at a layoff instead of continued employment. This breaks all the rules of a meritocracy and leads to low morale and lack of faith in the direction of the company.

Airplanes are built by a community of people who know each other's skills and work together over many years. Airplanes are not built by a set of ISO processes implemented arbitrarily. The people are the company.

I have been working at Boeing

Pros

Work life balance. You have control over how many hours you work. Get paid overtime.

Cons

Minimal difference in rewards and promotion between slackers and exceptional performers. This is one of the reasons why salary is very very low compared to other tech employers in this area. Excuse for no promotion is "the process doesn't allow it".

Processes are meant to streamline things.