Boeing Reviews

Updated March 25, 2015
2434 reviews filtered by

1. Overall compensation is very fair and the work life balance is good. However, the culture of boeing is, well..."old."

I have been working at Boeing

Pros

Vacation time, and flexibile schedules are some huge pros here.

Cons

There is a lot of layers of management and getting promoted is getting harder and harder.

Upper/executive level management seems disillusioned with how workers really feel in terms of morale.

2. 37 year veteran of Boeing.

I worked at Boeing

Pros

I spent what feels like a lifetime within the system, and it is a system. That said the company offers a wide variety of locations, careers and a good salary. I had the good fortune to work at numerous locations across the United States and have been blessed to work several very interesting projects.

Cons

After 37 years inside I feel institutionalized. (Or maybe I should be...)

3. Very Large Aerospace Company

Former Employee - Software Engineering Manager
    Former Employee - Software Engineering Manager

I worked at Boeing full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

If you don't mind moving anywhere in the world, Boeing has a career for you. This company has some of the best benefits out there right now.

Cons

Boeing is consolidating to "core centers of excellence", and they don't want anyone with more than 10 yrs of experience.

Find another job. Layoffs are effecting everyone at Boeing these days. Nothing wrong with reductions if your business model can't support staffing levels. However, removing staff based on salary is a very poor business model! Those that are paid well at Boeing know what they are doing. Good luck training the newbies.

5. Great company with which to start an aerospace career

Current Employee - Aerodynamics Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Aerodynamics Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Boeing full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

- Good compensation and paid overtime
    - Great health benefits and 401K match
    - Plenty of career development opportunities
    - Feeling of community
    - Good work/life balance
    - Interesting work projects

Cons

- Typical big company stuff: 2 weeks and 6 manager approvals to get a new, $5 stapler (ok, maybe that's a slight exaggeration); difficult to collaborate with colleagues in other business units due to budget charging constraints; lots of red tape
    - Engineers in Washington state must join the union (that's a state mandate, not Boeing, but it is still something a prospective employee should be aware of)
    - My previous organization moved to different Boeing sites in the Seattle area 4 times in a 6 year span. One of those moves was completely completely across town, and my commute went from 15 to 50 miles each way. When I finally escaped that 3 hours of commuting per day and found a position back within 15 miles, it wasn't long before an announcement was made that my new organization was being moved to Seal Beach, CA. Each of these moves places a great deal of stress on the employees and their families, therefore morale, productivity, and quality suffer. Furthermore, with each of these moves I saw many quality engineers retire or find work at other companies. Some of these engineers were experts in their field and it was a big loss to the organization.

- Don't stop investing in future technologies. We need to stay ahead of the competition in product performance and operating cost.
    - Stop moving groups across town and across the country. It lowers team morale, hinders productivity, and results in large amounts of attrition, often by very knowledgeable and experienced individuals.

6. Overall great company to work for.

Current Employee - Software Developer in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Boeing full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Extensive employees services, ranging from community groups to advanced training. Perks are great as well.

Cons

Frequent management shifts, some IT departments behind the times. Career advancement is not promoted enough, people get to comfortable and neglect current technologies and trends.

Make sure your managers are inspiring and actually have experience doing the work that they are managing, at least the first level ones. Promote career growth and adaptation of new technologies.

Only a good employer for non software engineers that will have a chance to "touch the plane".

Former Employee - Software Engineer II in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer II in Seattle, WA

I worked at Boeing full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Its very rare to have in Boeing, but the work I had was exciting and challenging. I can say most of y colleagues did not have teams with similar experience.

Cons

You'll constantly see your co-workers laid off and wonder how long it'll be until you get the axe. You'll be told promotional opportunities are non-existent, you'll be drastically underpaid, you won't have as much vacation time as your friends (not counting the Christmas week off of course), you'll find that management has a massive complicated structuring with a lot of old school thinking.

I feel you've already decided making the shareholders happy is more worth it than keeping strong employees around. The idea of the temporary employee that you can hire and layoff and get some other employee to replace the spot easily (since so many people are looking for work) is a horrible idea. It will hurt the companies' ability to compete over time since the alternative is to hire other third party companies to do the work for you. Now you have to hire a whole team to work with and integrate with the third party company, mixing cultures, environment, and work methodologies that will clash. Ultimately the quality of the end product will be a surprise and then trying to get this third party to maintain the surprise over the long term will lead to bad effects such as needing to purchase services from a new third party to actually make a worthwhile product (but again falling to the same problems and ending up with a mystery X product that will probably on par with the quality of the first product). I feel like in house engineering is the way to go.

8. Old school, yet flying by the seat of their pants

Current Employee - Industrial Engineer
    Current Employee - Industrial Engineer

I have been working at Boeing full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

If you have less than 5 years with the company, opportunities abound. Pockets of innovation do exist, but one must belong to the "in crowd" to be allowed to be a true innovator. Plenty of bright, intelligent people work for the company.

Cons

With approximately 160k people working for the company, expect bureaucracy at every turn. Pace of change is slow and promotion difficult for most employees. The company cycles through layoffs and growth. Currently, we are on the layoff cycle.

Consider taking advantage of the diversity of your workforce and not merely paying lip service. Look to the people having more than 10 years but less than 25 years of experience. This group still has much to offer: wisdom of experience without the "cannot be done" attitude.

9. So far, after three years, the experience has been quite good.

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Boeing full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great people, great work/life ballance. work is interesting, and the benefits are the best in any industry.

Cons

Your experience really depends on your team and manager. There are alot of Theory X management style folks still here (when I want your opinion I will give it to you), not sure if that is because of the large quantity of ex military folks here or not.

Allow strategy to be driven from the bottom up, not top down.

10. Exciting work for you.

Current Employee - Software Engineer II in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Software Engineer II in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Boeing full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

For an average performer, the pay is slightly higher than average for the area. Boeing is one of the two major employers in the St Louis, MO area. As a result, you get some company initiated perks (like free airport parking and car rental and other discounts) and also some vendor provided perks (like discounts on apartment rental)..
    Boeing sponsors your education completely free to you for anything less than a graduate degree. For a graduate degree, you still get refunded for all the costs (book, tuition, fees ...) but you have to stay with the company for two years after your last graduate class (whether you complete your degree or not).
    Boeing provides excellent health coverage for the individual. You can also exercise for free in the company gyms if you can make it at least eight times a month (the charge is $10 a month voluntarily deducted from your paycheck)..
    You will enjoy a great work-life balance with flexible schedule. Recently, the company increased vacation accrual rate to stay competitive in the industry.
    With the company's positive outlook, you are assured of a longtime availability of a position in one project or another.

Cons

Boeing has an attitude towards software engineers as dispensable. They seem to be waiting for the day they complete all their software tasks on plate so that they can focus on building airframes. There is an irritating saying that gets uttered in the company, "We are not a software company."
    Boeing will employ all the tricks on the book to lower their non-recurring engineering cost on software engineering. St Louis is not known as a technology hub; so, the competition between companies to retain talent is non-existent. You feel stuck with the job and salary (insignificantly higher than average) that you get offered. I don't think management keeps relocating engineers from other locations to St. Louis by accident. The second trick is to not differentiate between software and firmware engineering. You could be performing work as close to the metal as a firmware engineer but you will get paid the same salary as other software engineers that are higher in the niche.
    Boeing does nothing to appreciate exceptional talent.
    The family health insurance is mediocre that you pay substantial portion of a thousand dollars out-of-pocket as cost of healthcare. This is in addition to the increased monthly premium from the individual coverage.

11. demoralized employees, all depends on your manager

Current Employee - IT Analyst in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - IT Analyst in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Boeing full-time (more than a year)

Pros

the "golden chains" are good. 401k and Health Insurance are great and above average in industry, overall.
    Salaries are not stratospheric; just Ok.

Cons

Your manager is your fairy godmother. If you are unlucky and land on a bad one, run and don't look back.

Employees are demoralized because of budget cuts and lay offs(some of them don't make sense, especially cutting training !?!) and it can feel like a very toxic environment to work in, especially for new employees.

Walk the talk. I was fool enough to listen to "oh, you can move around and take advantage of all the opportunities", only to find out that it was mostly on paper.

In all practicality, moving around is difficult because of bureaucracy and jobs being cut frequently.

So, please be honest to your new employees.