Boeing Reviews

Updated September 16, 2014
2,024 Reviews
3.5
2,024 Reviews

Boeing Chairman, President, and CEO Jim McNerney Jr.
Jim McNerney Jr.

Pros
  • Flexible work schedules usually allow for a good work/life balance (in 152 reviews)

• Great benefits, interesting work throughout most of my time there till recently (in 186 reviews)

Cons
  • Not terribly great at the work/life balance thing even though management claims to be (in 30 reviews)

• Management spends all their time in meetings pleasing upper management to make themselves look good (in 32 reviews)

More Highlights

Not the Company it Once Was

Current Employee - Strategy Analyst  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Strategy Analyst in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Boeing full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good medical & dental benefits, generous educational programs for very specific degrees. The experience you will have at this company is significantly impacted by your first-level manager.

Cons

Endless bureaucracy, poor executive management decisions, shareholder value more important than quality and employee satisfaction. Intimidating culture that is driven by fear. Managers spend 90% of their time in meetings with each other, trying to impress upper-level managers,

Re-think that decision to prohibit telecommuting.

Not your parent's Boeing

Current Employee - Business Analyst  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Boeing full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Decent salary for work performed.

Cons

Jobs are being relocated to Seal Beach, CA and yet management managed to work it out so managers that wanted to stay, get to stay.

Try not running those employees who still have 30 years left before retirement out the door.

Internal Career vs External Customer benefit

I have been working at Boeing

Pros

The best thing working for a large corporation like Boeing is the opportunity to move throughout the enterprise in various positions and locations.

Cons

Disadvantages become evident when the only thing you think about is where you want to move for your next job. The ultimate value to the external customer is diminished. Relationships become internally focused vs growing the company and relationships with customers.

Reward people who continually do well in their existing position growing customer benefits versus encouraging them to leave their current position in order to get a promotion or increased salaries.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I worked at Boeing through good times and bad.

Former Employee - Design & Integration Specialist  in  Everett, WA
    Former Employee - Design & Integration Specialist in Everett, WA

I worked at Boeing full-time

Pros

Boeing allows great opportunities to expand your experience and enhance your educations

Cons

With such a large company it is difficult to effect any type of change over the enterprise.

Business Development

Former Employee - Marketing & Business Development  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Marketing & Business Development in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Boeing full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great place to learn aerospace defense business after a 20+ career in the Government/Military. Decent pay and benefits

Cons

This place is a jobs mill. Too many fat/over weight lazy people in St Louis who are merely oxygen breathers. STL culture doesn't understand the Naval aviation customer. The Engineers need to learn business skills of learning how to fulfill contract terms with the Defense Customer. Stop telling the customer what else they should buy and give the customer whag they asked for. Boeing Defense over sold themselves in the sole source business of yesteryear and are too bloated to compete in the current Better Buying Power 2.0 competitive contracting environment of DoD.

Listen to former military who actually were or served with the customer.

Rifts within the company and red tape

I worked at Boeing full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

- Pay is decent if you know how much you are worth.
    - Benefits are pretty good.
    - The holiday break period is amazing.
    - Management will support your career if it is within Boeing.

Cons

- If you don't know what you are worth, the pay will be low...very low. They will do what they can to make sure that you stay dumb to their promotion practices, pay policies, and the like. It helps to have a manager friend explain it all to you and explain the process.
    - There is a lot of hype of "One Boeing." In actuality, there isn't. Rifts exist within the company. Go deeper and there are chasms everywhere.
    - Management and higher level people are out of touch with the engineers.

- Boeing says that it has problems retaining talent. Why? Because the grass is always greener on the other side. People at Boeing tell me that the only way to make money at Boeing is to leave Boeing and then come back. So I have done exactly that. If you pay people what they are worth, then you wouldn't have this issue.
    - Get rid of the red tape and bureaucracy. It gets harder and harder for an engineer to do their job. I guarantee you that the person that knows best how to do the job is the engineer and not HR, management, or executives. You hire engineers because they are smart, not because they are trained monkeys that can follow a procedure.

Great start, lousy end. They no longer respect technical expertise of those over 45.

Former Employee - Principal Systems Engineer  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Principal Systems Engineer in Houston, TX

I worked at Boeing full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Average office culture for a tech company; punishments for executive indiscretions are trickled down to the trenches: e.g. ethics training. No further personal growth opportunities after 5 years there.

Cons

You will not get sent to the conferences you need to stay current and ahead of the competition. First-level managers ran the gamut from backstabbers who make you take their falls, to spineless sweethearts who will not stand up for you. My second-level manager was horribly overscheduled, and had less time than usual for open door meeting.

You do not understand your level 1 and 3 managers' lack of value to the customer. Their performance Peter Principle levels have been exceeded. Several intermediate layers could be removed. My customer was happier with my work than my manager. In the midst of family tragedy, I was not respected for needing certain absences.

Meh

Current Employee - Engineering Manager  in  Everett, WA
    Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Everett, WA

I have been working at Boeing full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

It's a huge company so you can literally change careers without "starting over". We work on cool things! Decent pay, but the benefits have seriously eroded in the 12 years I've been here and will continue to do so with cost cuts. You can move up easily just by coming in & doing a great job.

Cons

Management is currently on the war path against the unions, moving work around throughout the world, and attempting to cut costs at every corner. Everyone is feeling the pressure and it's creating a horribly low morale in the Seattle area. Because the company is so huge, everything moves so slowly, and it feels like it's hard to get things done. It's easy for no one to be held accountable because there's always someone else to deflect to- and the guys in charge are the ones moving around so much that they aren't around to deal with any consequences of their poor decisions.

Not a good place to work for any more

Current Employee - Business Process Analyst  in  Tukwila, WA
    Current Employee - Business Process Analyst in Tukwila, WA

I have been working at Boeing full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Work-Life balance
    Medical Insurance is good
    Ability to transfer within company

Cons

Compensation is below the market average
    Benefits are not something that a Boeing employee can be proud of
    Career Advancement is non-existent

Pay people above the minimum scale per skill code established By Boeing

Race to the bottom

Current Employee - Engineer  in  Everett, WA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Everett, WA

I have been working at Boeing full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great pay and benefits. Cool products to work on. Smart people.

Cons

All going away as the race to the bottom continues to outsource technical work to the lowest bidder. Don't count on working here more than a few years.

Worked for Boeing? Contribute to the Community!