Boeing

Updated August 19, 2014
1,960 Reviews

3.6
1,960 Reviews

Boeing Chairman, President, and CEO Jim McNerney Jr.
Jim McNerney Jr.

Pros
  • Flexible work schedules usually allow for a good work/life balance (in 152 reviews)

• Great benefits, interesting work throughout most of my time there till recently (in 186 reviews)

Cons
  • Not terribly great at the work/life balance thing even though management claims to be (in 30 reviews)

• Management spends all their time in meetings pleasing upper management to make themselves look good (in 32 reviews)

More Highlights

Move or you'll get stuck!

Current Employee - Engineer  in  Everett, WA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Everett, WA

Pros

Benefits and Salary are very competitive...
    If you're lucky you get a fun group or at least one person that becomes family.
    Those two things are what kept me here so long.

Cons

If you don't move around every 3 years or so, you wont acquire any new skills, and you delay your growth.
    Everything, every process, and everybody moves at a slow pace...they pay you the same no matter how fast/slow you do it.
    Some people are known to delay things on time just to start a "fire" and be heard.
    Women get paid less. yes I'm a woman. It's just a fact and it's ridiculous.
    Women are often given a more administrative task, whereas men will be trusted more with the technical reviews and analysis of things.

Management needs to care more about their employees. I can tell that my manager has no clue what he's talking about 80% of the time. I catch on to his attempt to finish the employee's sentences to appear as if he knows what's going on. If the group is too large for you to understand what everyone is doing, say something. We can tell when you don't know what we're doing. Makes me wonder what I need a manager for at all.

Be intentional and purposeful with your meetings and communications. Many people would rather work that extra hour than sit through a meeting.

Be clear, be transparent with communication and communicate often. There's nothing more refreshing than hearing raw information and not having things sugar coated. Stand up and lead.

Good Technical Management - Lacking Program Management

Current Employee - Software Engineer IV  in  Annapolis Junction, MD
    Current Employee - Software Engineer IV in Annapolis Junction, MD

Pros

Good benefits, compensation and flexible work hours. Technical leadership at my Boeing site is wonderful and encouraging. I'm challenged to grow my technical ability. Great 401K plan and pension for those of us hired before 2009.

Cons

Poor program management so much that Boeing tolerates management screaming and yelling at employees. Program management does not come to see us if we work in another building other than the main Boeing building. Communication is generally ineffective between functional managers and employees. The good functional managers leave for greener pastures or get a pink slip if funding goes away. Engineering staff usually takes over the project the right way because the functional managers seem to not be technical. There seems to be a revolving door at the Director and VP levels and nobody knows why certain people are removed "abruptly". Older folks who dress in beach lounge attire and sneakers are left to sit in their cubes and think about why the wind blows while other good people get axed. Communication downward to the peons is non existent. No real career path upward unless the senior technical program person pushes senior functional management for your upward movement. Benefits are fading away and medical plans are starting to take a lot more out of my pocket due to higher coinsurance rates. Entering workday time is mandatory and becomes a pain point when you don't have Internet access in another building.

Share information with us peons. Do not tolerate management yelling and cursing in the workplace for any reason. It sets a bad example. Show some hope for upward mobility and that we are not just bodies taking a seat in another building earning the company money. Offer more training onsite and not all the way in the bowels of Virginia because most of us live near Annapolis Junction, Maryland - or to the north in Baltimore - and do not want to drive all the way to Springfield, Virginia in two to three hours of rush hour traffic each way.

Very stable employment in both the good and bad ways.

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Mesa, AZ
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Mesa, AZ

Pros

Boeing is a very stable environment at the site I work at. It is a generally laid back atmosphere with strong compensation. Most of it's benefits are competitive with peer companies and generally it would take a lot to get fired or laid off.

Cons

Unfortunately that stability also seeps into a seeming inability to make cuts based upon performance. It reminds me of office space where you only need to do just enough to not get fired. As long as you don't care how long it takes to move up this is a great environment. Forget what people might have told you about Boeing having great fringe benefits such as education reimbursement. Benefits have been on the decline lately. The business is facing some headwinds which results in our "Industry Leading" benefits now becoming merely "competitive." And by competitive they mean average.

Start taking 360 reviews of everyone and actually listen to them. Several of the managers in my area know little to nothing about who is a strong employee and who is a weak employee. At times the only interaction between a manager and an employee are at the mid-year PM and end of year PM. Then a minimum of research is done to have something to put down on the review.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Understanding the corporate ways might lead one to being a Robot.

Former Employee - Executive Administrative Assistant  in  Carpinteria, CA
    Former Employee - Executive Administrative Assistant in Carpinteria, CA

Pros

1. Great pay
    2.Wonderful benefits
    3. Amazing problem solving for my department
    4. Rewarding to accomplish my duties and group duties
    5. I enjoyed interacting with a large realm of Boeing employees.

Cons

1. I worked for a company that made aircraft's to kill people
    2. Training was not provided for my position. I would work 10 hour days to keep up because they had computer systems made only for them and with no training it was a difficult task.
    3. Most people where Robots
    4. I wished that more support was given to the team, so that we could all work better.

1.Training/ support is very important when starting a new job
    2.I had to ask for a Mentor to seek help at my last job.
    3.Please find a way to encourage ones employees in a positive matter.
    4. Be approachable for all employees

Worried about the long haul...

Current Employee - Business and Planning Analyst  in  Renton, WA
    Current Employee - Business and Planning Analyst in Renton, WA

Pros

If you're life situation is looking for something stable and consistent then Boeing fits the bill nicely. The pay is good and the benefits are top notch. So people with families (either established or just starting) will find a nice home here at Boeing.

Cons

Politics will drive you nuts. Leadership here seems to be more in love with their own egos than with the well being of their workers. Biggest issues I have are with 1) work : life balance and 2) mobility within the company. With regards to 1, leadership totes that they "care" about it but its only as long as the work side of the equation is greater. Regarding 2, you'll find that while this place is huge and you're told you have flexibility to move you'll come to find that you end up bouncing around the same "functional silo" (e.g. moves from accounting to accounting are easy but moving out of accounting is difficult).

Make a decision and take accountability for that decision. All too often the politics of the business get in the way of the message and your employees simply stop listening since all they hear is rhetoric. Also you should be acutely aware that the culture within Boeing is not conducive to obtaining but also retaining top talent. I fear that without a major overhaul to how things function here, Boeing will be hurting from a personnel standpoint in the very near future.

promotions and raises

Pros

learning together program is a big Plus

Cons

Promotions aren't not based solely on merit but on seniority as well.

Great place to work if you land your desirable job coming in the door.

Pros

The people are great and make the job worthwhile

Cons

Management does not value employees

A great learning experience about how an aerospace company operates.

Pros

Learning opportunities, Pay/Benefits. Advancement, if you are motivated and have a positive attitude.

Cons

People, A majority are happy in there job with no desire to ever move beyond there station. This leads to laziness in certain departments and dependence on that paycheck. Phrase: "That's not my job" has got be the most annoying in the company.

To be aware of the people who are genuinely trying to make Boeing a better place to work.

Old timers are being shoved out the door

Current Employee - Facilities Manager  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Facilities Manager in Seattle, WA

Pros

Long hours, camaraderie amongst teams

Cons

A young person company, older workers are being shoved aside, raises capped, non existent forcing folks to leave, reducing benefits, not the company it was when folks first hired on.

Think about long term not near term, shortly company will have forced the older folks out the door and the ones running the place will have very limited experience.

Structures Engineer - Seattle/Everett, WA - 5+ years Boeing

Current Employee - Structures Engineer  in  Everett, WA
    Current Employee - Structures Engineer in Everett, WA

Pros

1. Great Salary and excellent starting salary
    2. Many Opportunities across company
    3. Excellent resume builder
    4. Great Health benefits
    5. Work with experts from all over the country
    6. Overtime available
    7. Work in many different fields (Fuselage,Wing,Landing Gear, Doors, Certification, etc..)
    8. Excellent relocation benefits

Cons

1. Treated as numbers and headcount rather than as people
    2. Rigid processes that hamper creativity and innovation
    3. Micromanaging
    4. Heavy on status checking projects and administrative tasks rather than actual engineering
    5. Outsourcing manufacturing to other companies and foreign countries
    6. High stress environment
    7. Lots of overtime to make up for unrealistic schedules
    8. Promotions are very slow
    9. Layoffs happen often and can happen at anytime
    10. Work gets tedious and boring

Worked for Boeing? Contribute to the Community!